• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.

vern

I don't see any compelling reason why Nintendo would not want Netflix, Twitch, Youtube, Amazon Prime etc as available software. It won't lower their sales at all. Nor do I see any reason why those companies wouldn't want their software on Switch. They want their content and services on every platform under the sun. It's frankly Bizarre that it didn't launch with that stuff, and even more bizarre it's not on there right now.

It was about 5 months between launch and the 3DS getting Netflix. The only reason I can think of why it wouldn't be on Switch is if Nintendo intended to get some kind of OS update rolled out before they allowed non-gaming applications on it. Even that is a stretch.

You'd have to check my posts from before the launch of the Switch, from well before anyone knew there would be no 3rd party apps (besides me lol) on the Switch, and how the Switch was being pitched to devs and pubs behind closed doors. I mentioned it a few times and no one believed me, then it came out that there was no 3rd party apps and everyone said it's cuz the OS was rushed and they are coming later... again they might come, but the concept of a pure gaming system designed to sell as many games as possible for pubs and devs was what they were pitching. They didn't want any confusion about what the Switch was (is it a tablet?) or distractions on the device itself. This is what my contacts told me, I guess a year and a half ago now or more... and this is the way it has remained. Apps could be added, plans can always change... but so far Nintendo has stuck with exactly the pitch they went with before launch when trying to get pubs on board. Again, go check my posts from last year if you have time.

You'd have to check my posts from before the launch of the Switch, from well before anyone knew there would be no 3rd party apps (besides me lol) on the Switch, and how the Switch was being pitched to devs and pubs behind closed doors. I mentioned it a few times and no one believed me, then it came out that there was no 3rd party apps and everyone said it's cuz the OS was rushed and they are coming later... again they might come, but the concept of a pure gaming system designed to sell as many games as possible for pubs and devs was what they were pitching. They didn't want any confusion about what the Switch was (is it a tablet?) or distractions on the device itself. This is what my contacts told me, I guess a year and a half ago now or more... and this is the way it has remained. Apps could be added, plans can always change... but so far Nintendo has stuck with exactly the pitch they went with before launch when trying to get pubs on board. Again, go check my posts from last year if you have time.

This sounds like thread worthy material to me.

I don't really understand their strategy. People won't always play games, they will watch Netflix and YouTube regardless of whether the Switch has those apps or not. The question is, on what device?

I know my wife is getting impatient. I foolishly told her YouTube would most likely come later in the year. We can use the Wii U for Netflix, but our Wii U doesn't have a Japanese keyboard so she can't watch what she wants on YouTube.

vern

This sounds like thread worthy material to me.

I don't know if it's thread worthy now... I've been talking about it plenty for the past year and most people still claim the OS is half baked when it was actually very carefully planned to be this way. However, I don't know Nintendo's current mindset or strategy so maybe apps are coming soon. Who knows? All I know is that everything that I had been told prior to launch (and shared on GAF) has played out exactly in the way that it was envisioned and presented to me. Anyone can check my posts from the time period around the October reveal and the months after. I personally don't expect those kinds of apps and features until sales slow down and Nintendo wants to try and breathe new life into the machine, if ever.

Irminsul

But they didn't, there's already an app out in Japan.

Neiteio

More I think about it, the more I like the idea of Doom Slayer in Smash

I can already picture the trailer with the E1M1 theme for part of it and then the 2016 title theme at the end, when the trailer recreates the scene with Doom Slayer rising above the demon hordes, only here the demons are characters like Kirby and Pikachu.

Could also close out with a Final Smash where the HUD from the original DOOM appears onscreen along with the gun in the center, and the player controlling Doom Slayer can pan the screen to shoot at the other players. You'd even have Doom Slayer's human face in the HUD looking bloodied (or not) depending on your damage. Of course in normal gameplay Doom Slayer would wear the green armor.

I could see him shooting rockets, plasma orbs, lasers (gauss canon) — even a short-range shotgun blast, if it's presented as a cartoony explosion. He could do Glory Kills for throws (no evisceration, although you can have him pummeling enemies the same way). A chainsaw for smash attacks? Sure, why not. Corrin's sword is a chainsaw!

Neiteio

?
He's Doomguy.
Doom 2016 officially christened him "Doom Slayer." You can read giant slabs with inscriptions by the demons where they fearfully refer to him as such.

maxresdefault.jpg

Doom 2016 officially christened him "Doom Slayer." You can read giant slabs with inscriptions by the demons where they fearfully refer to him as such.

I love those parts of the game. As crazy as it sounds, DOOM 2016 has one of my favorite video game plots....possibly ever? It's presented in such a great way.

Neiteio

I love those parts of the game. As crazy as it sounds, DOOM 2016 has one of my favorite video game plots....possibly ever? It's presented in such a great way.
Doom's story is masterful in how the protagonist himself doesn't give two shits about it (even punching or throwing aside computer monitors that try to tell him it), but if you take the time to read the demon lore in the game, there's actually some really cool world-building going on.

Also, you feel like a total badass being feared by these hordes of scary-looking monsters. It's like that one part in Watchmen: "I'm not trapped in here with you. YOU are trapped in here with ME."

m00h

Banned
In anticipation and excitement I bought the PC copy of the game only to encounter severe motion sickness... what can I do???

Wait for the Switch version. I only encounter motion sickness on larger screens, so Switch will be perfect for that purpose.

HyGogg

Banned
I don't really understand their strategy. People won't always play games, they will watch Netflix and YouTube regardless of whether the Switch has those apps or not. The question is, on what device?

I know my wife is getting impatient. I foolishly told her YouTube would most likely come later in the year. We can use the Wii U for Netflix, but our Wii U doesn't have a Japanese keyboard so she can't watch what she wants on YouTube.

I think Nintendo is shook about Youtube and Browser apps being exploits like they were on 3DS.

deleted

I think it was a gamexplain video, or the preview video by nintendo world report TV? they mentioned they couldn't find options for motion controls in menus, but they did find out that with the joycons detached you could shake one of the joycons to do melee attacks.

Thats something for a start. Everything that gets me more away from the stick-clicking. I hate doing that :p

Amazon's page has been up for like a week.

Does the Prime discount apply automatically later if you placed your preorder before it was active?

Duffk1ng

Technically he can be both Doom Guy and Doom Slayer, the latter is the name the Demons gave him after the events of the original.

Top Bottom