• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheMoon

Is a Wednesday a standard release day anywhere? Nintendo is Thursday/Friday/Tuesday releases.

Wednesday is a deadzone. No country has Wednesday releases. Japan/AU are Thursday (sometimes Saturday), NA/EU jump between Tuesday and Friday. Monday and Wednesday dates are 100% false unless it's about digital games.

PantsuJo

What makes you think it didn't sell well on those platforms? The game definitely sold several million on PS4/Xbox One combined. and 2+m on PC alone. I think the issue might be that it had a price cut rather early on due to potentially slow sales initially?

https://www.vg247.com/2016/06/20/doom-shoots-to-the-top-of-the-uk-game-charts-after-price-cut/
This source isn't exactly reliable, as far as I know.

But, anyway: PC + PS4 + One numbers combined should be really, *really* high amd I don't think a Switch version can't beat that.

Especially because you can find Doom priced for 20$/€ for PC/PS4/One... and I don't think Doom Switch price will be reduced any time soon, but: we'll see.

Wamb0wneD

I...uh... I'm not sure if people will buy a 60 buck version of DOOM when they can have it for 20 bucks somewhere else. I'd love to play it but I'm not sure myself if portability alone is worth 40 bucks to me.

Seik

Banned
I played DOOM on PS4 yesterday, reinstalled it and all.

Patch was still downloading (28Gb) 5 hours after that, so I had to play with screen tearing all the way. Hopefully the base cartridge on Switch won't have these kind of day one issues.

£50 kind of sucks honestly. They should be intelligent enough to price it a little lower, but I'll probably still get it... so who's the unintelligent one really...

nubbe

Man, you have 0 humour

Dbbv5eo.gif

Well, unless you speak German it's easy to miss Eggebrecht spilling the beans around the Switch launch on a German podcast :) (but it did get covered here and elsewhere to some degree).

I recall that thread... I didn't read all the way through it so I'm not sure what it has to do with people working on streaming/media apps for the Switch but I'll take your word for it!

It has to be in the form of those cute doomguy figures

So you can fist bump the Doomguy in real life!

This source isn't exactly reliable, as far as I know.

But, anyway: PC + PS4 + One numbers combined should be really, *really* high amd I don't think a Switch version can't beat that.

Especially because you can find Doom priced for 20$/€ for PC/PS4/One... and I don't think Doom Switch price will be reduced any time soon, but: we'll see.

It won't get there anyway but I was saying it would be hilarious if it outsold the other console versions, not the PC version. I'd imagine the PC version sold far better than the console versions thus far anyway.

It was a joke anyway. But I expect surprisingly strong sales, since the Switch is going to sell like crazy this holiday and this will basically (or actually?) be the only AAA FPS on the system.

Si2k78

It was a joke anyway. But I expect surprisingly strong sales, since the Switch is going to sell like crazy this holiday and this will basically (or actually?) be the only AAA FPS on the system.

I do so as well. I think the more important metric to keep an eye on is revenue generated. These publishers will likely measure success by not just how many copies they sell, but also, how much revenue each copy sold can generate. I have a hunch that this number will be quite high. Heck, UIltra street fighter 2 sold 500k copies at close to full price, i'd like to think Doom on switch can put up at the least, similar numbers.

Considering that there's about half as many Nintendo Switches in customers hands after only 6 months as there were lifetime Wii U sales, even if only 1/5 of those people bought a copy of DOOM on there (very wishful thinking, I'm honestly only expecting 1/8 adoption rate at the highest), it would still be as good of sales as the Xbox One version alone [DISCLOSURE!: I am basing these numbers off of ******** stats. These numbers are not up to date and do not account for digital version sales!]. It helps that a few of those people are going to buy a Switch just so they can double-dip on this (hell, I've talked to people who said that the only reason they want a Switch is for portable Skyrim), but it also helps that Doom's campaign was freaking amazing and got spread about by positive word-of-mouth.

Bethesda is definitely seeing this as "fast adopting console+popular game=easy money."

Anteo

Considering that there's about half as many Nintendo Switches in customers hands after only 6 months as there were lifetime Wii U sales, even if only 1/5 of those people bought a copy of DOOM on there (very wishful thinking, I'm honestly only expecting 1/8 adoption rate at the highest), it would still be as good of sales as the Xbox One version alone [DISCLOSURE!: I am basing these numbers off of ******** stats. These numbers are not up to date and do not account for digital version sales!]. It helps that a few of those people are going to buy a Switch just so they can double-dip on this (hell, I've talked to people who said that the only reason they want a Switch is for portable Skyrim), but it also helps that Doom's campaign was freaking amazing and got spread about by positive word-of-mouth.

Bethesda is definitely seeing this as "fast adopting console+popular game=easy money."

Well.. your source for data is banned, most likely that side that makes up sales numbers.

That site is banned for a reason. Never cite it for sales figures.

Well.. your source for data is banned, most likely that side that makes up sales numbers.

It would help if there were more reliable places to source sales numbers from. Hell, you can't even trust SteamSpy since it reports whether or not a user currently has the game in their library; it doesn't take into account where it was purchased from or how it was acquired.

It's almost like companies don't want you to know how poorly their overly-hyped crap of a game sold...?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There's no FPS on switch

It was smart of them to be the first, they will sell

I think it was smart for them all around to be the first major publisher going all in on Switch, with all the games. I'm quite sure they will bring also F4 seeing how they also port that to everything. I think that they will benefit a lot from this.

TheMoon

I recall that thread... I didn't read all the way through it so I'm not sure what it has to do with people working on streaming/media apps for the Switch but I'll take your word for it!

the Op is only about retro Factor 5 stuff, the interview is about a whole lot of other things (among them, Switch thoughts, etc). The translations happened later in the thread.

Mr Swine

Banned
I think it was smart for them all around to be the first major publisher going all in on Switch, with all the games. I'm quite sure they will bring also F4 seeing how they also port that to everything. I think that they will benefit a lot from this.

Gimme F4 with F3 graphics and I'll double dip

Still trying to work out what this face tells us about this DOOM port

DJqtmLQVYAE4n__.jpg

needs a caption

It means it's good. I've tried and failed three times now to write a description of that face for this post but I know it, I've seen it before and I've done it myself. It's a jokey kind of "Back off I'm busy!" type of expression. For the life of me I can't explain it in words but I'm kind of surprised more people on Gaf aren't at least familiar with it and that the picture is causing such confusion.

But that person was enjoying Doom and they were interrupted and that's their like not serious angry "Hrrm!" face. The wall-eyes and the hyper exaggerated frown with the haunched shoulders, not meeting your "assailant's" gaze. Imagine that shortly after that picture was taken the person playing Doom did like an old crone voice and was like "Myeah!"

If he was looking into the eyes of the person taking the picture (who I assume engaged them in the first place) it'd be something else but the staring into the middle distance with his head not fully turned, it's textbook. *bubble pipe*

Neiteio

It means it's good. I've tried and failed three times now to write a description of that face for this post but I know it, I've seen it before and I've done it myself. It's a jokey kind of "Back off I'm busy!" type of expression. For the life of me I can't explain it in words but I'm kind of surprised more people on Gaf aren't at least familiar with it and that the picture is causing such confusion.

But that person was enjoying Doom and they were interrupted and that's their like not serious angry "Hrrm!" face. The wall-eyes and the hyper exaggerated frown with the haunched shoulders, not meeting your "assailant's" gaze. Imagine that shortly after that picture was taken the person playing Doom did like an old crone voice and was like "Myeah!"

If he was looking into the eyes of the person taking the picture (who I assume engaged them in the first place) it'd be something else but the staring into the middle distance with his head not fully turned, it's textbook. *bubble pipe*
It's just the jokey "I'm being watched!" face. My friends and I do it all the time, whenever one of us is approached unexpectedly.

Thraktor

Still trying to work out what this face tells us about this DOOM port

DJqtmLQVYAE4n__.jpg

needs a caption

That's definitely a "I counted the pixels and it's running at 640p, but the temporal anti-aliasing solution they're using is solid, so it still looks good on the Switch's screen, and the framerate is a stable 60fps with only a couple of dips, so it's a worthy compromise" face. I've seen it a thousand times before.

Top Bottom