• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Playsage

As an italian, I must warning you all about "multiplayer.it" source: for me it's shit and it always be shit.
It's like the IGN of my country.

On topic: 60 fps with huge downgrade was expected. And it's a good decision: framerate is a priority.
giphy.gif

derFeef

As an italian, I must warning you all about "multiplayer.it" source: for me it's shit and it always be shit.
It's like the IGN of my country.

On topic: 60 fps with huge downgrade was expected. And it's a good decision: framerate is a priority.

Isn't IGN Italia the IGN of your country?

shiyrley

Banned
But they use the same tech and will run similarly in the other systems...
Wolf should look and run similarly to DOOM.

Also, great news.
Yeah... I mean, when comparing it to Doom, it's the same engine, same generation, same framerate on PS4/One, why not same framerate on Switch then? And unlike Doom, Wolfestein 2 is being created with the Switch in mind either since the beginning or early enough in development to not make it a pain in the ass

Wow imagine going back to NX speculation a year ago and knowing there would be a portable 60 FPS DOOM by the end of the system's first year...

That should've been one of the leaks damn it. Would've made the January predictions thread look tame by comparison.

Great to hear if it definitely is true. I'll still wait for reviews, there's just too much else releasing in the next few months.

So 60fps with a noticeable graphical downgrade confirmed? If so, amazing news! I hope the game will sell well!

Edit: I knew it was too good to be true.
Well, if the 30fps is locked, I'm still in.

deleted

Yeah... I mean, when comparing it to Doom, it's the same engine, same generation, same framerate on PS4/One, why not same framerate on Switch then? And unlike Doom, Wolfestein 2 is being created with the Switch in mind either since the beginning or early enough in development to not make it a pain in the ass

Yeah, no way this is the case. Wolfenstein 2 has most likely been in development for 3 years. Development on the Switch most likely started this year after launch.
This game is coming a few month after launch on other consoles and PC and no way the port would have been greenlit if the Switch wasn't a big success.

My guess/speculation would be that it's only coming because members on the dev-team are passionate about the Switch AND it's portable without much headache since 1) idtech6 is highly scalable and 2) Switch is actually easy to develop for with it supporting Vulkan natively and NVidia most likely having good relationships to most/all western developers.

OCD Guy

About 30 seconds into the DF video.

lol thanks. Like an idiot I was skimming through the video, when I should have just watched the first 30 seconds....

Ah well, I won't be purchasing this, especially when it's 30fps with drops, and reduced graphics....

This ride never ends!

I think it's over now unfortunately. Digital Foundry know frame rates

How the fuck could that journalist have thought it was 60fps lol.

OCD Guy

Guess that does mean some people can't see the difference between 30 and 60.

I'd understand a normal guy, but I'd expect someone working in the gaming industry to know the difference.

Surely those that claim to not see a difference can tell a difference in Splatoon 2 when they go from a match/campaign to the plaza.

I honestly couldn't take anyone seriously who said that it looked and felt the same....Especially during a splatfest when the plaza feels like a slideshow...

That's probably why he pulled the article. I bet it get's re-uploaded with the 60fps bit removed...

Jaagen

Disappointing, but I'll probably still buy it. I've already played it on PC, but the appeal to get both this and Wolfenstein II on the go is enough to get me to double dip.

deleted

Okay, I'm still not convinced. As far as I can see there's no new footage from the Switch version and from the 10 minutes video there are about 7 minutes talk about a PC that's similar to Switch's specs.

I trust DF to report true, but he's also using the sentence: "Based on the footage that we have" which implied second hand footage or even only footage from the direct.

OCD Guy

Okay, I'm still not convinced. As far as I can see there's no new footage from the Switch version and from the 10 minutes video there are about 7 minutes talk about a PC that's similar to Switch's specs.

I trust DF to report true, but he's also using the sentence: "Based on the footage that we have" which implied second hand footage or even only footage from the direct.

But on YouTube they state:

Yes, we've played Doom on Switch! And yes, we can do some very basic graphics comparisons!

Any hype for me is dead now. I'd have been hopeful if it was another random gaming magazine that said it, but Digital Foundry are rarely mistaken.

This is exactly why NateDrake said:

People will know soon once previews hit. People are setting expectation to the moon over frame rate.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

I'm not opening my heart again. I've already been hurt too much.

Richard has played the Switch version. I am sure someone with his knowledge and eye for detail can easily see the difference.

Top Bottom