• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom: Multiplayer Update: All DLC free, new leveling system, new UI, more

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Another harsh lesson in the long saga of "Never Buy Season Passes."

wwm0nkey

Yo biggest improvement of this update? NO MORE FUCKING LOADING INTO MP/SP/SANPMAP

Jesus Christ that was the worst part of the original version, took ages to get into anything

Raptor

PSN? It's showing as £11.99 for me.

Side note, does DOOM play well on console? It's not too fast paced to be unenjoyable using a controller?

It plays excellent in console, just put the jumper bumper I think is called the control scheme and you are good to go.

BadAss2961

Was pretty pissed about the idea of downloading another 35GB of DOOM (Steam.) But after it completed, I have about 10GB more space than I did before the update.

Did the game actually get lighter?

You know, it'd be great if they'd separate the multiplayer from the single player so it wasn't taking 100GB+ of hard drive space. A lot of enthusiasts are putting DOOM on their SSDs and SSD space is limited.

Xbox One update is 58.62GB for me. Holy crap.

Love Doom but never even looked at the multiplayer. Once the update downloads I'll give it a shot as the population should see a nice bump.

Still, the download is going to take some time.

Veezy

que?
I was pretty surprised with how fun the multiplayer was. Somewhere between COD and Quake in speed, except with, ya know, demons.

Woorloog

Banned
A nice thing, but ultimately a bit pointless.

The MP had potential but ultimately its nature as COD/Halo knock-off made it... well, poor. The core gameplay was solid, but loadout systems, etc. hurt it, perhaps more than the DLC system. IMO anyway.

wwm0nkey

A nice thing, but ultimately a bit pointless.

The MP had potential but ultimately its nature as COD/Halo knock-off made it... well, poor. The core gameplay was solid, but loadout systems, etc. hurt it, perhaps more than the DLC system. IMO anyway.

It just needs a classic mode, they add that in and I will play A LOT

leburn98

It has Mega Textures though.

Also get used to these sizes, as detail increases so will the size of art assets

Which is fine. However, what is grinding the gears of many here is that we are forced to download and install a patch for a multiplayer we have no interest in playing. I swear I have spent more time downloading patches for Doom than actually playing it :). A large install for a game like Forza 7 is fine for me given the assets needed for each car. I am not fine with a developer forcing me to continuously update a game mode I have no intentions of playing.

Regarding install/patch sizes and possible solutions: With the ever increasing size of video games, developers seriously need to consider finding ways to reduce the size of their games and the patches. The obvious answer is to give the user the option to opt out of downloading certain game modes/assets. Back in the day during the introduction of optical media for PC, many games allowed you to either install the entire game to the harddrive or install the base game to the HDD while streaming the rest (audio/video) from the disc. Even now, games like Call of Duty allow you to download the campaign and muiltiplayer seperately. Quantum Break allowed you to download or stream all of the live-action TV segments (well on Xbox anyways). There is absolutely no reason why developers cannot offer these options going forward when the type of game allows it. In the future, I would love to see more developers simply give the end user the option to select what is most important to them. Something like the below would please most I feel:

Installation: Default / High / Ultra / Custom
Default settings based on the console's system wide setting

Choose language: Default / Chosen language
Texture quality: Default / High (1080p) / Ultra (4K)
Video quality: Default / High (1080p) / Ultra (4K)
Game Modes: Default (Both) / Single Player / Multiplayer

Zia

Was actually super annoyed that they didn't put the DLC on sale during the Steam Sale because I wanted the remaining achievements so, yeah, thaaaaanks (?) Bethesda.

PSN? It's showing as £11.99 for me.

Side note, does DOOM play well on console? It's not too fast paced to be unenjoyable using a controller?

First play through I did was on PS4, it was great. Eventually bought it again to play PC, don't think it retroactively ruined my PS4 experience.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I have no interest in the Doom multiplayer whatsoever, but this feels like a bit of a shitty move for the fans who paid up for the season pass.

I mean they did have 14 months of exclusive access, at this point they would probably prefer the life of the game getting a jolt of new blood over whatever cash they spent a year ago. I would.

breadtruck

People get free maps, proceed to bitch about downloading them.

Tun off auto-updates on Steam if you dont want this kind of stuff

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I can't say I feel too sorry for anyone who feels gypped because they paid $40 for the season pass. Anyone willing to spend $40 on a season pass that contains a grand total of NINE (freakin NINE!) multiplayer maps, costumes and weapons then that's on them.

However, I do think it would be a nice jesture to give those who did something of value.

Like maybe a free copy of another Bethesda game.

Do they have even starts with pickups only? If no, I'm not interested at all, same goes for Quake. The next Doom should be campaign only.

Everdred

Xbox One update is 58.62GB for me. Holy crap.

Love Doom but never even looked at the multiplayer. Once the update downloads I'll give it a shot as the population should see a nice bump.

Still, the download is going to take some time.
I've been playing on Xbox for a couple hours, definitely an improvement for multiplayer.

I can't even find the DLC on the PSN store. Did the update just download it all for me?

Edit: looked up and saw all the huge updates. I don't want the MP stuff, I was just curious what it was.

Update is awesome awesome. Still not super hot on the multiplayer but w/e. Not having to have a enormous loading screen between modes means I may start up the game more often. Also fixed an issue where it took 1m30s+ to get to the splash screens/loading screen.
Also the game is only ~72 GB now? Huh? I swear it was like 10GB more before.

Yo biggest improvement of this update? NO MORE FUCKING LOADING INTO MP/SP/SANPMAP

Jesus Christ that was the worst part of the original version, took ages to get into anything

Could you elaborate on what you mean by this? I'm confused.

Are you saying they drastically shortened the load times? Or did they do away with the main menu "hub" that once made you choose SP/MP/SnapMap? Or perhaps something else?

Could you elaborate on what you mean by this? I'm confused.

Are you saying they drastically shortened the load times? Or did they do away with the main menu "hub" that once made you choose SP/MP/SnapMap? Or perhaps something else?

There's no load at all between SP/MP/Snapmap. Just click one on the main menu and you're instantly in the menu for that gamemode. Should have done that a long time ago but glad they did it at all.

Everdred

I think they changed enough that you download half of the game again but the final download size ends up being smaller.

I can't say I feel too sorry for anyone who feels gypped because they paid $40 for the season pass. Anyone willing to spend $40 on a season pass that contains a grand total of NINE (freakin NINE!) multiplayer maps, costumes and weapons then that's on them.

However, I do think it would be a nice jesture to give those who did something of value.

Like maybe a free copy of another Bethesda game.

Errr...

How large is the update on PS4? I was one of the rare defenders of DOOM Multiplayer and I would love to see the changes but there's no way in hell i'm downloading a 50GB update.

JimiNutz

Banned
I briefly tried MP around the launch window and didn't really enjoy it but the SP is one of my favourite games of all time so I'm willing to try it again.

horkrux

If they don't ditch MP for Doom 2, I'm not gonna buy it. This used to be an easily ignorable feature in games, but no longer. Now you are being played when the next dozen jiggabytes update hits.

Syf

Banned
Played a handful of matches today. Nice to have those hack modules gone, and nice getting into full games quickly. I still enjoy it for what it is; a departure from what you'd expect from Doom but fun in its own right.

I need to ask again, is the actual PS4 update version 1.10?
Cause I installed it completely new from disc and all it does is downloading 1.10 with 30gb.

I thought it was bigger? If it's not the new update then it's still not online in Germany.

TannerDemoz

I have no interest in the Doom multiplayer whatsoever, but this feels like a bit of a shitty move for the fans who paid up for the season pass.

Give over. The developer's giving out free content. How can you complain about this?

The game that keeps on giving. Well played.

Top Bottom