• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom: Multiplayer Update: All DLC free, new leveling system, new UI, more

MauroNL

This explains the 59(!)GB update I got on Xbox One just now. Fast surpassing Halo 5 with biggest file size now, geez.

Drayco21

They really need to split their downloads into optional Campaign, Multiplayer and SnapMap components; the filesize for this game is absurd- I'd love to replay it, but after this DLC gets updated, it would eat a majority of my PS4's HDD for Doom alone. Fuck that noise.

not sure about how everyone else feels, but I really liked Doom's multiplayer in the beta. I actually thought about buying the game for it alone.

So I guess maybe I should get around to actually playing the MP now, didn't care for it in the beta and I've had DOOM since last November and never played it, I still need to finish the last area in the main game. Downloading the 34.7GB update O_O.

Kadin

Really need to uninstall this from my XB1 since I have it on PC now. The auto updates of this game are just too large to dismiss. That's a lot of Netflix streaming potential...

This is really good news. Multiplayer has so much potential...of course demon runes and loadouts still exist so it will never be what it could have been, but it still sounds like a big improvement.

Syf

Banned
I finished the 35GB patch and the game's file size doesn't seem to have changed much compared to before. Did they just make me download the entire multiplayer side again lol

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Got thPlatinum and never touched the DLC so lucky me I guess. Would suck for those who bought the season pass. But then same thing happened with Titanfall.

I'll jump back in for the extra trophies.

I have no interest in the Doom multiplayer whatsoever, but this feels like a bit of a shitty move for the fans who paid up for the season pass.

No it isn't. Season Pass should always go free when the season ends. Always. It's shitty to charge for it, in fact it's one reason why a game dies a shitty death by the end of the season and it split the community for no reason but to make money.

Good on them to make this free. Maybe I'll give this a try once again.

Fisty

Three new achievements are also included in the update.
On Track - 50G
Complete a tracked Challenge in a Multiplayer Match

A Memorable Performance - 100G
Earn a Gold Rating in a Multiplayer Match

Slotted for Success - 100G
Unlock all Multiplayer Runes

That last one sounds like it could be a bag of ass... any idea what unlocks the runes?

The size of this patch really makes me wish the MP were its own stand-alone thing. I still have no interest in touching it, and will continue to only play the Campaign and mess around with SnapMap (which is now a massively underrated & improved tool by the way).

Are people that bought the season pass getting anything special? Or do they not care about pissing off three people?

Full disclosure - i didn't buy the season pass. Just curious.

It's not like Doom is putting up Dota2 numbers, the multiplayer is probably dead bc no one ever talks about Doom MP.

So would the 5 people that play be upset that now their game potentially has a bigger player base but people didn't have to pay? They probably weren't able to enjoy that content anyway, if they should be mad at anyone it's themselves, stop buying season passes. If you absolutely must, do it when all the content is out

120v

so uh... did anybody like MP? like, enough to play avidly for a period of time?

i'd like to give a shot before uninstalling, don't want to judge it based on a couple of bad matches or whatever

It only took me 5 hours to download the update. And that was while also downloading 3 updates on PS4 and streaming Giant Bomb to my Chromecast.

Do I even want to play MP Doom?

What an absolute joke, 58 GB's... Really? That's over half my data for the month, time to uninstall it then because that's just absurd. Sorry, I love the game but I bought it strictly for the Single-player, why in the world should I be required to download this?

MetalSlug

Time to delete DooM. No way am I downloading 35GB of data just for multi-player.

They should do what COD does and split single and multi-player modes.

JP

I really can't criticise them for giving this stuff away for free now but it's ridiculous enforcing a patch of this size for something that I have absolutely no interest in. I have exactly the same issues with GTA V, the size that game has expanded exponentially since it launched and the vast majority of it is multiplayer stuff that I have absolutely no interest in.

The issue is that I can either have everything or nothing installed unless I delete the patch as it starts downloading every single time I switch the PS4 on.

Again, I can't complain that they're now giving content away for free but this is really not the way to deal with it. I ended up deleting GTA V and it's likely that I'll do the same for this now.

I'm so glad I held out on buying that overpriced season pass. The multiplayer is decent, but $40 for multiplayer only DLC? No thanks. Definitely going to be reinstalling now, though.

raduque

No campaign content. Was there ever supposed to be campaign content? I played SP and MP for about 17 hours combined and got my money's worth, but I'd pay for campaign DLC.

Guess I'll have to wait for the sequel.

I paid near full release price for the pc version at launch. A few months later the ps4/xbo versions were heavily reduced in Australia so I picked up the xbo version.

With this weekend reduction I might buy it on xbo again just to be able to play it straight off the hdd without the disc AND get it on ps4 too.

The game is worth owning again and again.

Top Bottom