• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Resurrected - To Hell & Back (Noclip/O'Dwyer documentary on Doom 2016)

Astral Dog

The only think i dont like is that the game felt overly buggy, from the lack of V Sync at first (fixed by a patch) there were like many ocassions were either my character could not progress because a door wont unlock, enemies wont appear, he would stuck in some place, and once on the VEGA mission at a checkpoint a platform train wont appear so Doomguy kept dying and dying i had to restart the whole mission.

JNT

I was a bit sad to find out it was only a three part series. Very good documentary.

I would love to see documentaries like this being made about Looking Glass Studios in general.

antitrop

This was so good, I watched all three parts twice. Then I went back and watched the Rocket League doc.

That one was great, too, I had no idea the founder of Psyonix was the creator of the Onslaught mode from UT2K4.

Glass

Really happy to see the view count on the first episode. This documentary has deservedly found its traction.

Really happy to see the view count on the first episode. This documentary has deservedly found its traction.

That should have a direct impact on other developers being willing to be the subject of a documentary. Combined, of course, with the quality of the product Danny is producing.

Haven't watched this yet, but planning on doing so once I finish DOOM. I started playing yesterday and now I'm on mission 6. Hands down GOTY and one of my favourite games I've played in years.

It's just pure fun and an absolute blast to play. From the fast frantic gameplay, that's just perfectly in-sync with one of the best soundtracks ever, to the amazing exploration only helped by the great level design, to the amazing combat encounters, to the upgrade system and weapons. Just everything about it -- even the damn codex which I enjoy reading -- is god tier (though the characters and story are self aware, I'm actually enjoying a lot of the backstory from the codex -- it's legit interesting).

You can just tell there's been so much effort poured into it. And that's not mentioning it's one of the best looking 60fps games I've ever played.

Man, two FPS games in a row maybe my GOTY (Wolfenstein was my GOTY last year -- I didn't play many games that were released 2015 but rather catching up on older games). I love that Bethesda are publishing these FPS focused single player titles. These developers are just definitely nailing it -- ID Software and Machine Games are just pure genius.

antitrop

Haven't watched this yet, but planning on doing so once I finish DOOM. I started playing yesterday and now I'm on mission 6. Hands down GOTY and one of my favourite games I've played in years.

It's just pure fun and an absolute blast to play. From the fast frantic gameplay, that's just perfectly in-sync with one of the best soundtracks ever, to the amazing exploration only helped by the great level design, to the amazing combat encounters, to the upgrade system and weapons. Just everything about it -- even the damn codex which I enjoy reading -- is god tier. You can tell there's been so much effort poured into it. And that's not mentioning it's one of the best looking 60fps games I've ever played.

Man, two FPS games in a row maybe my GOTY (Wolfenstein was my GOTY last year -- (I didn't play many games that were released 2015 but rather catching up on older games) I love that Bethesda are publishing these FPS focused single player titles. These developers are also definitely nailing it. ID software and Machine Games are just genius devs.
This doc touches on all the things you're loving about the game right now.

Part 1 is mostly about the long and troubled development, Part 2 is mostly about finding the right tone and nailing it, and Part 3 is about the combat design and soundtrack.

xuchu

A bit weird to see some people think that this is a marketing piece. PR would have never let a person like Hugo Martin be interviewed front stage and center. I'm sure they may have been things they weren't allowed to talk about but the very fact Bethesda marketing seemed to focus more on MP than the fast and frantic combat action shows that they didn't have confidence or even fully understand the game id were making.
Regardless, completing Ultra-nightmare difficulty was some of the most fun and intense times I've had with an FPS. Great work from Danny and co, the quality and production value was awesome and hopefully this will incentivise more companies to allow developers to be interviewed or even take center stage rather than hide them behind PR or directors.

TheRed

This was really great. Kinda funny that they spent literally 0 minutes talking about the multiplayer of the game. That had to have taken a lot of effort to make as well and marketing focused on it. But it obviously wasn't where their internal passions and focus was.

This was really great. Kinda funny that they spent literally 0 minutes talking about the multiplayer of the game. That had to have taken a lot of effort to make as well and marketing focused on it. But it obviously wasn't where their internal passions and focus was.

The multiplayer was made by a different studio and Danny could very well have edited out what multiplayer talk there was.

Just finished the third part, and finished the first level and a half of the game itself just before. So, thank you, noclip, for getting me playing finally. It's awesome.

I loved the entire segment about the music, especially his process starting from BPM. Brilliant stuff.

TheRed

The multiplayer was made by a different studio and Danny could very well have edited out what multiplayer talk there was.

Oh that's right I forgot. ID took over multiplayer development for updates after release though right? Wiki says co developed with Certain Affinity so they must've touched it a bit, probably wasn't interesting to talk about.

I think it was mentioned in the video but very quickly.

Snapmap would've been cool to have a couple comments on too.

TheRed

Danny can you do one with Respawn next year?
I want to hear all about Titanfall 2, they seem like a scrappy smaller studio like iD and they delivered a high quality bar across both it's campaign and multiplayer. Where DOOM was pretty much just the campaign to me. It would be great to hear all about the design of both of those and also their great free DLC approach when they could've just done a season pass like normal. And they came up with a lot of changes and additional Titans with different gameplay and had to make it all work well with what people loved about the first game.

Rainbow 6 Siege developers would be great to hear from too. That might be too focused on shooters for a lot of documentaries but hey it was a great year for shooters.

Zaph

Danny can you do one with Respawn next year?
I want to hear all about Titanfall 2, they seem like a scrappy smaller studio like iD and they delivered a high quality bar across both it's campaign and multiplayer. Where DOOM was pretty much just the campaign to me. It would be great to hear all about the design of both of those and also their great free DLC approach when they could've just done a season pass like normal. And they came up with a lot of changes and additional Titans with different gameplay and had to make it all work well with what people loved about the first game.

Zampella would say some shit. Danny needs to get in there now.

Luke_Wal

I'm on like level 8 in the game (just went to
Dr Hayden's office.
Are there ending spoilers in the documentary?

Amazing documentary for my GOTY. Great choice for the end of the video with one of the levels with the best soundtrack, gave me chills.

This doc touches on all the things you're loving about the game right now.

Part 1 is mostly about the long and troubled development, Part 2 is mostly about finding the right tone and nailing it, and Part 3 is about the combat design and soundtrack.

Well that's just perfect then aha :D

Random fun fact: I remember you commenting on my first ever thread (which was the LTTP for The New Order I did last year). Little did I know that I was in for one hell of a ride with these perfectly crafted FPS games, lol.

CANNOT WAIT to see what Machine Games and ID have in store for us next.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Part 3 was awesome, too. Hearing about combat chess and the music production was fascinating. Also lovely to see such an in-depth chat with Mick Gordon. He seems like a very intelligent and focused producer, and his efforts really paid off here.

Congrats to Noclip for a great set. Looking forward to more in future!

rizzo0

Hugo was great and I've definitely rewatched both the rocket league and doom series. Awesome work. Can't wait for the next one.

Lo_Fi

I dunno this felt like a hype/marketing piece more than a documentary/journalistic effort.

They talked about scrapping an entire game. Dev teams hardly ever talk publicly about scrapping anything. If this was marketing they would've never talked about that stuff.

Mick Gordon is obviously a very talented composer (the bpm thing is genius) but good lord, he couldn't have spoken more fluff in that interview.

In my experience working with music people, they usually speak in nebulous terms. Usually it's about the emotion you're trying to sell, which is really hard to talk about.

Disgraced

Echoing that this is great and I'm looking forward to more content like it.

This didn't seem like marketing in the slightest although it is good PR and study of a success. Meaning I'm fairly confident that's what most docs with this access and depth will be about for the time being. I'd really like a doc about a project that failed and was actually released. I think we'll see a docs on those subjects one day but with all the NDAs and reputations at stake it will take years. Or I suppose we could actually see docs about older bad games.

I guess I should just admit I want to know exactly what happened to Aiden Pearce's face and if his sister in fact used to be his ex-wife. A step-by-step for some of the story in Watch Dogs like it was done for Doom's intro in part 2 would be my jam.

Would love Danny to be able to go back and do more witcher stuff since the game has released along with the DLC's. Def subbing via Patreon for more of these and the behind the scene footage.

I'm watching this at the moment. Really like the chess analogy. I didn't like the demo all that much, but the game is only £15 now and I think I'll pick it up.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Loved the series, great to see Danny really making it work out on his own.

My only criticism/suggestion would be to get more technical in videos like Part 3 of this series when they are talking about encounter design, would be great if he could talk to devs who aren't managers about how the things are really built and what the decisions were being made on individual encounters.

To me that part of the last video was so surface level at some points that almost felt like a dev diary rather than an actual documentary on how the game was made.

PaulLFC

Just a heads up for anyone unaware, there will be extended versions of at least some of the documentary interviews on the Noclip channel in the near future (probably starting in around 10 days or so at a guess).

Danny has said Patreon backers will get to see the first extended interview starting next week, and there is usually ~1 week exclusivity for backers before the interview is released on YouTube. Looking at the Rocket League series there was 10 days between the end of the documentary and the first extended interview being uploaded (backers had got to see it before this, though). Rocket League had two half hour interview videos (one on music, one on marketing), and an hour long video on the history of Rocket League. The amount and quality of content Danny releases is fantastic. There is also a podcast coming soon with audio versions of the Noclip interviews.

Hugo is a riot in this, his attitude and take on everything is 100% what I would expect from someone in id. The balance of that attitude and tech know-how of that lot is awesome. I hope they have a run now of putting out a few games (not just more Doom) with the team as it is at the moment, as said in here, they 'get it' don't they.

patapuf

Loved the series, great to see Danny really making it work out on his own.

My only criticism/suggestion would be to get more technical in videos like Part 3 of this series when they are talking about encounter design, would be great if he could talk to devs who aren't managers about how the things are really built and what the decisions were being made on individual encounters.

To me that part of the last video was so surface level at some points that almost felt like a dev diary rather than an actual documentary on how the game was made.

Yes, going a bit deeper/ more technical would definetly be something i'd be interested in. Though i guess it'd limit the appeal for others a bit.

I loved this documentary, it picks up right where Masters of Doom left off in terms of id's story. Loved every bit of Hugo's insight, dude is incredibly sharp and a pleasure to listen too. I searched around for more Hugo and found this great presentation he did on design.

Can't believe we'll have another one of these in a month. Excited to see which game Danny tackles next!

I find this particularly interesting as there is some info on the cancelled Doom 4, and how they realised it wasn't what was best for the series and turned that around to produce Doom 2016, which is probably the best direction they could have taken the series.

I'd really like another documentary on Overwatch, as that was also rescued from the remnants of a cancelled project (Titan) and they managed to turn it around to be one of the most popular and successful FPSs of the modern era.

I find this particularly interesting as there is some info on the cancelled Doom 4, and how they realised it wasn't what was best for the series and turned that around to produce Doom 2016, which is probably the best direction they could have taken the series.

I'd really like another documentary on Overwatch, as that was also rescued from the remnants of a cancelled project (Titan) and they managed to turn it around to be one of the most popular and successful FPSs of the modern era.

Danny already did one with Overwatch when he was still at GameSpot.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Danny already did one with Overwatch when he was still at GameSpot.
Yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq-HwvYjLLg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTMnJ5XJH6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooWpfIazPRE

Top Bottom