• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.
SamVimes said:
Is there any way to check your ping during a game? Also i noticed that some guys are able to ping on the map but i can't find the key on the controls screen, how do you do that?
Ping on map is alt+leftclick and to show the ping+ fps I got net_graph 1 in my autoexec.

Swag

SamVimes said:
Is there any way to check your ping during a game? Also i noticed that some guys are able to ping on the map but i can't find the key on the controls screen, how do you do that?
Alt + G to ping on map, and in order to check ping you need to enable console, put -console in your Dota 2 Launch options then put in net_graph 1 into the console to display FPS and latency.

Right Click Dota 2 in steam library -> Properties -> Set Launch Options.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Bah, and I thought that fast and stable connection is enough to be able to play on all servers. Screw that, got like 2 sec ping during a match in Europe from Japan. There goes my playing with friends. At least I can comfortably play on SE Asia servers.

Keiician said:
Bah, and I thought that fast and stable connection is enough to be able to play on all servers. Screw that, got like 2 sec ping during a match in Europe from Japan. There goes my playing with friends. At least I can comfortably play on SE Asia servers.

Yeah, wish the netcode was a bit tighter when playing with slightly higher pings, but it really does crack up once you go past 100+ms.

kagete

My Team Tryhard
Forwards:
loki_demi [Ace]
SwiftLame
Anbokr

Midfielders:
Alumnus
Sebulon3k
Puppetyuber

Defenders:
Pillowknight
Oceanic
Thorinbei [sweeper]
Procarbine [stopper]
Ikuu [gk]

Bench:
Neki
Lone Prodigy
Conceptor
Haly

Victory Cigars:
Sanjay
Meteorain

token Korean striker import: astroboy

drunk fans:
ulcajun
drunk swag

former ace turned arch-rival:
Meeru/mint/Valenti

Manager : kagete
Video: Tomat
Stats: delirium
Rulebook: Freakinchair
Play-by-Play: Kapura
Color Commentary: bzm

Teams of 8-10. 5 available players play. All prizes go to the team manager for distribution to his players at his discretion. Games will be streamed by pro and astro for those who don't have access to the beta. Let's do this!

Swag

That team is such a crush team
KuGsj.gif

kagete

Not gonna lie. I'd trade Puppetyuber for Milkman straight up. I'd even throw in Sanjay, a courier, and two wards to sweeten the deal.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Me, Nob, Togglesworlh, Rac, and some 5th guy can take you! Oh sure, Nob will likely loose connection 4 times in the game, Rac will declare it a lost 10 minutes into the game, Toggles will do nothing that is both amusing and noteworthy, I will manage to have the worst possible timing on the one clutch skill 4/5 times, and the 5th person (Likely Termyte, but if given more time to get keys we could toss Joefu into the 5th spot, who actually posts on gaf) will somehow get 'stuck' in lane with me yet again, and complain for a solid 10 to 15 minutes about every little mistake or perception of a mistake.

But we can take you! TF2 Gaf is up for any game about two teams fighting for vague reasons and arbitrary objectives!

Phandy

kagete said:
Not gonna lie. I'd trade Puppetyuber for Milkman straight up. I'd even throw in Sanjay, a courier, and two wards to sweeten the deal.

I would'nt want anything for Sanjay. They could just have him for free (EASY SANJAY!).
I dont want no Radiance-Omniknights on my teams. (cant believe how salty everyone was about that, I thought people were used to it by now)

Kag I can totally see you being a manager for a dota team. Your the only person who spectates more than he plays.

Phandy said:
I would'nt want anything for Sanjay. They could just have him for free (EASY SANJAY!).
I dont want no Radiance-Omniknights on my teams. (cant believe how salty everyone was about that, I thought people were used to it by now)

Kag I can totally see you being a manager for a dota team. Your the only person who spectates more than he plays.

DoTA Manager 2012? Manage your pasty white nerds until they become the most competitive team in the league!

Guesong

Phandy said:

Now now, don't hurt Tomat's feelings. He worked out for that crown and he intends to keep it.

kagete

Freakinchair said:
DoTA Manager 2012? Manage your pasty white nerds until they become the most competitive team in the league!

I would pay real $$ for this game! But you're doing it wrong! Tomat knows what's up -> you're supposed to draft as many asians as you can for your team. Barring that, fill in the gaps with eastern euros (I guess these do come in the pasty white variety)

I just started playing LoL a couple of weeks ago, and its really my first dota/moba game.

Just reading through this thread, everything kinda sounds so overwhelming.

Can a newbie pick up this game easily?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
tycoonheart said:
I just started playing LoL a couple of weeks ago, and its really my first dota/moba game.

Just reading through this thread, everything kinda sounds so overwhelming.

Can a newbie pick up this game easily?
If you picked up LoL, you can pick up this game. There are a few more systems going on (Stats are a bit more complex, Day/Night System which primarily effects vision, Deny system which is just last hitting your own creeps, the jungle is different, wards work a bit differently, but on the other end there is no masteries, summoner spells, runes, scaling spells, or cooldown reduction), but after a few hours you will get the hang of the bulk of it, and it will then turn into a game of learning what 60+ characters and 100+ items do, but LoL is similar in that regard.

Drkirby said:
If you picked up LoL, you can pick up this game. There are a few more systems going on (Stats are a bit more complex, Day/Night System which primarily effects vision, Deny system which is just last hitting your own creeps, the jungle is different, wards work a bit differently, but on the other end there is no masteries, summoner spells, runes, scaling spells, or cooldown reduction), but after a few hours you will get the hang of the bulk of it, and it will then turn into a game of learning what 60+ characters and 100+ items do, but LoL is similar in that regard.
Plus the fact that i get a kick out of hearing how much people rage at how terrible i am lmao

Hylian7

This was something that's bothered me. I never played the original Dota, but looking up stuff from it, they seem to be picking and choosing which name they actually use for the Heroes in Dota 2. For instance, Pudge is referred to as "Butcher" on PlayDota.com, but in Dota 2 he's just "Pudge". Why are some of the names using the generic names (such as Sniper, Spectre, etc.), while others use actual names (Clockwerk, Pudge, Windrunner, etc.)?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
They've chosen to use whatever name was more commonly used in Dota, all heroes will have a name and title eventually.

Hylian7 said:
This was something that's bothered me. I never played the original Dota, but looking up stuff from it, they seem to be picking and choosing which name they actually use for the Heroes in Dota 2. For instance, Pudge is referred to as "Butcher" on PlayDota.com, but in Dota 2 he's just "Pudge". Why are some of the names using the generic names (such as Sniper, Spectre, etc.), while others use actual names (Clockwerk, Pudge, Windrunner, etc.)?

Probably because that's what most people called them in DoTA so they just went with the convention. Some of the names are different though because they were names of Warcraft 3 Heroes. Obviously they can't have that so they changed the name.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Aesthet1c said:
I has no idea spells don't scale with items. Does that make casters kind of suck late game?
They drop off quickly as you go past level 16. Most heroes have distinct phases where they are most effective. For int heros, it's usually early to mid, and for agi and str heroes, mid to late.

Halycon said:
They drop off quickly as you go past level 16. Most heroes have distinct phases where they are most effective. For int heros, it's usually early to mid, and for agi and str heroes, mid to late.

Well, nukers drop off. There are still a lot of support/disablers that are very useful toward end game.

Swag

Aesthet1c said:
I has no idea spells don't scale with items. Does that make casters kind of suck late game?
This is mostly a problem for casters that have spells that don't have significant additional effects, for example lich only has a slow on his spells, but lots of casters have utility on their spells, Lion has a stun and a hex, Crystal Maiden has a Root etc.

It's quite common for people facing caster heavy teams to just purchase Black King bar to negate the problem entirely, but yeah if your a caster and you don't farm up some type of utility item, you may find yourself being completely useless in the late game, this is what makes casters a big gank target because if you can keep them from farming they'll often be under levelled / underfarmed during the mid - late transition.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

My fifth game and I think I'm doing better than in the beginning. I've played Dota for a month around 3 years ago and after that it was mostly LoL with some HoN.

I'll try the US servers tomorrow, hope the latency won't be as bad as in Europe. That said, is there a way to check your ping in game?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Is Lightning Rev in Dota 2 yet? He is sort of a caster carry. I see CD played as a carry in HoN a lot.
Yes, he's the guy with the lightning whip.

Sanjay

kagete said:
My Team Tryhard

Put me in captain. I'm so awesome in midfield, football is my sport.

Sebulon3k said:
Isn't half of HoN GAF asian?

We have like 3 token true white guys.

But man so much stick directed towards me, guess I need to stop playing with you guys and hit the Dota 2 gym.

kagete

Sanjay said:

You'd have to sub out for Puppetyuber when he gets that inevitable red card at the 30 minute mark. Putting you both in at the same time would be disastrous.

Hylian7

spermatic cord said:
Antimage pickers on my team... Guaranteed loss
Or Storm Spirit pickers on the other team, guaranteed getting the shit scared out of me constantly.

Seriously, fuck Storm Spirit. I don't consider him unfair or anything, but geez he is ridiculous to fight against. No matter where he is on the map, he is always missing and probably going to gank you. I was in a practice game yesterday where the host chose Captain Mode. For our second ban I suggested Storm Spirit, and the captain did it. What a relief that was, and I was playing Broodmother that round!

kazabi

Hylian7 said:
Or Storm Spirit pickers on the other team, guaranteed getting the shit scared out of me constantly.

Seriously, fuck Storm Spirit. I don't consider him unfair or anything, but geez he is ridiculous to fight against. No matter where he is on the map, he is always missing and probably going to gank you. I was in a practice game yesterday where the host chose Captain Mode. For our second ban I suggested Storm Spirit, and the captain did it. What a relief that was, and I was playing Broodmother that round!
Try to pick some heroes with heavy disables, like Lion for example. With enough disables in the team, storm wont be too big of a threat until he gets bkb/linkens. Same goes to blink heroes like AM and QoP.

Hylian7

kazabi said:
Try to pick some heroes with heavy disables, like Lion for example. With enough disables in the team, storm wont be too big of a threat until he gets bkb/linkens. Same goes to blink heroes like AM and QoP.
I haven't gotten a chance to try any of those heroes yet. I think I might try to get Lion next game I play.

Phandy

Sanjay said:

We have like 3 token true white guys.

But man so much stick directed towards me, guess I need to stop playing with you guys and hit the Dota 2 gym.

Wait, being a token white guy makes me a minority? Fuck yes.

Also I just cant imagine you playing football Sanjay. Do you suggest builds like 1-1-8? Or your the guy that convinces everyone to try the offside trap and end up conceding? lol.

Gmail > search > steam :(

Someone gimme an invite please, I've been playing this for years on Bored Aussies server, and really want this for Christmas. >.<

Cheeto

Keiician said:
[IMG.]http://i.imgur.com/ZUCr8l.jpg[/IMG]
My fifth game and I think I'm doing better than in the beginning. I've played Dota for a month around 3 years ago and after that it was mostly LoL with some HoN.

I'll try the US servers tomorrow, hope the latency won't be as bad as in Europe. That said, is there a way to check your ping in game?
Is that the hero that is basically Pollywog Priest in HoN? I want to try him

kazabi

Hylian7 said:
I haven't gotten a chance to try any of those heroes yet. I think I might try to get Lion next game I play.
Lion is easy to play, you have a good stun and hex. Then there is his mana drain too which is good depending on what you're up against. You can drain skeleton kings mana so he wont have ulti and such. But I mostly go for maxed stun and hex first. His ulti is just a single target damage spell (Edit: it does a lot of damage, but has a long cooldown), which is also nice.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Hylian7 said:

Did somebody say storm spirit?

MjpAf.jpg

And kag, how did you know I used to play defense :O

Davidion

Got the game yesterday, played some bot matches to warm up, was fun.

The game feels easier to navigate and keep track of than HoN. There are definitely some fixes they can stand to put in place though; the messy shop layout and visual cue for toggle abilities being the ones that immediately stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom