• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

Yeah there's not much to him.

To be honest I only really like him once I get Blink Dagger. Also, for a while I built him with Power Treads. Mistake. Getting Arcane Boots ASAP makes him way more fun with spammable abilities.

Earthshaker is probably the funniest hero in the game to play with a blink dagger.

no joke.

too bad everything before that is shit.

JustinBB7

Are you guys crashing on Europe servers? That seems to be the reason for every person right now.

Hope it's still fine on US servers then, I can play on those as well.

JustinBB7

Just had another loss, but I'm at the point where I know I'm not the main problem anymore. I barely die, gank/attack/defend with the team. But we always seem to lose because the other team pushes harder and we're slowly getting a few levels behind.

Which makes a situation I see way too often lately, we have to tower hug and defend hard, which is just delaying our loss in the end most of the time. The rest of the team all talked a little and listened for the most part, but we had a terrible Earthshaker who could not use his powers right at all. And a bad Alchemist who would run in too far by himself a lot and would get ganked.

My win/loss record was pretty even, but last couple of days I've just had a lot of matches like this, gets a bit annoying after a while. Just bad luck with teams?

Nekrono

Just got the game 2 days ago I'll go spectate ur guys game since I've no clue what I'm doing.

I started playing a few weeks ago and watching PurgeGamers vids has helped a lot, pick a hero and watch a video on his page about that hero, also you can go to playdota.com and read a guide.

Writing down item builds, etc, helps a lot too, you will get better eventually. I started with Tiny and then moved on to Lifestealer, although people recommend Lich for a new player.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I started playing a few weeks ago and watching PurgeGamers vids has helped a lot, pick a hero and watch a video on his page about that hero, also you can go to playdota.com and read a guide.

Writing down item builds, etc, helps a lot too, you will get better eventually. I started with Tiny and then moved on to Lifestealer, although people recommend Lich for a new player.

Thanks for the link. I was actually thinking about Tiny since when my friend tried teaching me how to play HoN I picked him and he was pretty fun.\

Btw damn this game looks completely awesome in action.

Hylian7

need windrunner pro tips, i played one game with her as support didn't realize her range is so small

Ult is for towers or a stunned Hero that will take a lot to bring down. Always be aware of their position when you shackle. Not shackling them to something is usually a waste, except in some situations. Remember Windrun slows down nearby enemies too! Powershot is good at finishing off stragglers!

Your boots of choice are Phase Boots, don't make the mistake I did with that by getting Treads.

14791478.png

I fired it up for the first time and it was a bit overwhelming. I checked out the lore and abilities, then watched 2-3 games. The ability to watch is awesome and works great. Graphics are fun and functional but there is nothing mind blowing IMO. I wish I could back the camera out a bit more when watching a game in progress.

The cons to me are that is is really weird seeing Blizzard heroes fudged a bit and put in a different game. I knew that was going to be par for the course in this game but it was still jarring and is going to take awhile to sink in. Secondly, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO on no Eyefinity support. BOOOOOOOOOO! Perhaps that can be fixed by release though. All the other valve games that I have played support triple monitor set ups by default, so it was sad to see DOTA 2 does not support the function (yet?).

If there is a tutorial, I didn't see it. I'm going to have to watch even more games before I jump in. It is pretty intimidating for a newb like myself. I would like a tutorial to play first though.

Tenck

Just played Anti Mage a bit and he's so fun. Too bad my second game I got a 18 minute Battlefury and my team basically decimated without me ;_;

Love having a game where I'm obviously having a bad time in my lane and nobody ever comes to help us and it's all our fault clearly. The AFK jungling Axe who never bothered to come to lane certainly isn't to blame. Or the Invoker who let the AM farm bottom lane, even if he didn't die. NOPE. Teehee.

Helmholtz

I fired it up for the first time and it was a bit overwhelming. I checked out the lore and abilities, then watched 2-3 games. The ability to watch is awesome and works great. Graphics are fun and functional but there is nothing mind blowing IMO. I wish I could back the camera out a bit more when watching a game in progress.

The cons to me are that is is really weird seeing Blizzard heroes fudged a bit and put in a different game. I knew that was going to be par for the course in this game but it was still jarring and is going to take awhile to sink in. Secondly, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO on no Eyefinity support. BOOOOOOOOOO! Perhaps that can be fixed by release though. All the other valve games that I have played support triple monitor set ups by default, so it was sad to see DOTA 2 does not support the function (yet?).

If there is a tutorial, I didn't see it. I'm going to have to watch even more games before I jump in. It is pretty intimidating for a newb like myself. I would like a tutorial to play first though.
It's closed beta, so that would explain lack of tutorial. I'd imagine Valve fully intends to have a good tutorial in place for open beta/release.
Lack of eyefinity might have something to do with it being a competitive game? Can't let some people see more of the map than others. (I could be completely wrong on that)
I just want to get into this damn beta :p

Love having a game where I'm obviously having a bad time in my lane and nobody ever comes to help us and it's all our fault clearly. The AFK jungling Axe who never bothered to come to lane certainly isn't to blame. Or the Invoker who let the AM farm bottom lane, even if he didn't die. NOPE. Teehee.

<3

Coolhwip

Neo Member
A tip if you really wanna win a game if you solo que:

1. Pick a carry/ganker
2. Go mid (because you either are gonna have another farm hero fighting about gold and share xp with you or a support babysitter that in 80% cases also wanna have your farm).
3. Win the game.

Sibylus

Banned
Gosh, bots are so DUMB. It's just imposible to practice with them. IM-PO-SI-BLE.
Have to have a human carry or your bot teammates will feed past the point of no return. Doesn't matter what hero you pick, you've gotta carry with 'em.

Like Sven, armed with a BKB, Daedalus, and max cleave (2 hitting creepwaves and 3-hitting heroes). It was either that or turn over carrying to the Razor bot, who had a Vanguard and Blademail to his name, and little else.

Have to have a human carry or your bot teammates will feed past the point of no return. Doesn't matter what hero you pick, you've gotta carry with 'em.

Like Sven, armed with a BKB, Daedalus, and max cleave (2 hitting creepwaves and 3-hitting heroes). It was either that or turn over carrying to the Razor bot, who had a Vanguard and Blademail to his name, and little else.

I'm trying to learn Crixalis, and this is a kind of difficult job when AI decides to pick 4 more melee heroes, while enemies on the opposite full of ranged gankers like lina, zeus and wr.

My build for SK is Urn -> Boots -> Dagger -> Scepter. Any suggestions? I wonder if Vanguard suits him well?

Hylian7

I'm trying to learn Crixalis, and this is a kind of difficult job when AI decides to pick 4 more melee heroes, while enemies on the opposite full of ranged gankers like lina, zeus and wr.

My build for SK is Urn -> Boots -> Dagger -> Scepter. Any suggestions? I wonder if Vanguard suits him well?

This reminds me, I have yet to try this, but how do the bots behave with Faceless Void's ult if you trap enemies in it? Do they just run straight in?

Sibylus

Banned

I usually build a pretty raw Sand King: Arcane Boots (more ganks, more fights) and Blink Dagger as quickly as humanly possible. From there, it can really depends on a team's needs. Aghanim's Scepter further improves your teamfight impact, and a BKB can have a similar effect (you'll be able to channel the ult right in the middle of the fray if you so desire).

SamVimes

In one of my first games with a couple of friends one of them did Void's ult and picked two 3 allies and 2 enemies.

Sniper bot procedeed to rape us.

Sober

I need to get used to buying Arcane boots but I usually do something like Boots + Finish Wand (suck it I like having a wand) -> Dagger -> Scepter.

Depending on who I face/team comp I sometimes get a bracer and turn it into a drum for later. Haven't tried BKB because if you can blink in with epi properly there is no need. Haven't gotten into a situation where I channel it mid combat and have it go off successfully either; rather just use it after a fight gets started and then bust out the surprise. Blade Mail is an okay choice for a later game item too.

Vanguard I have never tried since I never felt a need to get a stout shield. I have been trying Caustic Finale during the laning phase and it does okay against lanes with a melee carry/dual melee. Sandstorm hasn't really served me too well yet.

A tip if you really wanna win a game if you solo que:

1. Pick a carry/ganker
2. Go mid (because you either are gonna have another farm hero fighting about gold and share xp with you or a support babysitter that in 80% cases also wanna have your farm).
3. Win the game.

Edited for my lack of reading comprehension

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Worst advice in the entire thread. The ironic part is that your mindset is exactly why random MM can suck so badly, not a solution to counter occasional bad team composition/play. I will just hope you were just joking and that my lack of coffee this morning has made my sarcasm detector shut down.

Mid Ganker/Carry is easily the best lane to choose to win a game in solo queue.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
NS, Slardar, SB (to an extent), Doom are all great snowball choices for mid and yeah, it is the role where you depend the least on your teammates' competency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom