• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got to say...coming from HoN (though I haven't played that for 6 months), to DotA2 after a 4 year absence, I love this Windrunner hero. She feels so versatile and I end up enjoying every game I play with her, even the ones I lose. Really well made hero...I can't think of any HoN original hero that compares.

A tip if you really wanna win a game if you solo que:

1. Pick a carry/ganker
2. Go mid (because you either are gonna have another farm hero fighting about gold and share xp with you or a support babysitter that in 80% cases also wanna have your farm).
3. Win the game.

To expand on this, pick a carry that doesn't need to rice to get good. One that can do team fights from the getgo.

I've found in pub games when I pick a rice hero (spectre/am) that half the time my team isn't able to defend and get's ganked, then chews me out for farming.

Guesong

I've got to say...coming from HoN (though I haven't played that for 6 months), to DotA2 after a 4 year absence, I love this Windrunner hero. She feels so versatile and I end up enjoying every game I play with her, even the ones I lose. Really well made hero...I can't think of any HoN original hero that compares.

Aluna.

Though you cannot stun as well with Aluna's first skill, but skill 2 and 3 are pretty much similar.

Ultimate is not the same but you can attain ludicrous attack speed with the attack speed zap debuff on her first one.

Aluna.

Though you cannot stun as well with Aluna's first skill, but skill 2 and 3 are pretty much similar.

Ultimate is not the same but you can attain ludicrous attack speed with the attack speed zap debuff on her first one.

Actually...now that you mention it, those two heroes seem almost eerily similar in design. I'm guessing that Windrunner came out first though?

For some reason I never really liked Aluna's design that much...the bouncing stun just seemed sort of random, the ultimate, while cool in theory, didn't add that much to the hero. Windrunner just seems like a more cohesive design to me.

Dynamic3

To expand on this, pick a carry that doesn't need to rice to get good. One that can do team fights from the getgo.

I've found in pub games when I pick a rice hero (spectre/am) that half the time my team isn't able to defend and get's ganked, then chews me out for farming.

What is a rice hero?

Rinku

Banned

+1

I agree. I always thought she would be too hard to use, but after trying her out, she's great.

As a beginner, I feel like I'm starting to hit my first stride in this game as Lich support. I felt really comfortable playing last night (helped my carry establish lane control, warded constantly, sentry warded that lead to a couple of early ganks, respectable K/D/A, map awareness improved etc..). I still made a lot of stupid mistakes (forgetting to use my magic wand when it had 15 charges, allowing myself to get surrounded a couple of times, moving out of position to assist on a gank). The one thing I'm a bit confused about is that when midgame rolls around, I feel like I'm running around like a chicken with its head cut off at times. If I roam around with gankers, I miss out on XP if we don't get any ganks and I don't want to tag team with a carry at this point if he/she is farming. I know support isn't item dependent but not being able to buy the basics because you've spent your gold on wards isn't good either.

I like Windrunner, too. I've played mostly support heroes in Dota 2 up to trying her out, and I think I want to stick with her for a while, now.

A hero that needs to farm a lot. It's a term coined from racism. edit: or rather a stereotype.

Is it really a stereotype if it is/was the Chinese meta game?

Hero's that are ricers;

weaver, am, faceless void, dragon knight, skeleton king, alchemist, morph, sniper, furion, spectre.

Most of those heroes don't reach their full potential without some serious farming.

Rinku

Banned

Hero's that are ricers;

weaver, am, faceless void, dragon knight, skeleton king, alchemist, morph, sniper, furion, spectre.

Most of those heroes don't reach their full potential without some serious farming.

Furion is an amazing imba ganker and should not be used just to pure farm.

TommyT

It didn't start with DotA though.

Uhh, it's a stereotype because "hurr durr chinese farm rice".

That's a rough gist, but yes.

Ricing a racist term? Seriously?

That's why I added stereotype. Saying "rice" "ricer" "ricing" could be used as something racial, and it's obvious it's not being used that way in the game. However, it's derivation (from where I've first heard it used, might have come elsewhere) comes from where players would consider themselves better than those who did that: farmed. Of which, were assumed to be Chinese. Then it evolved into what it is now.

edit: Specifically, that's also why I said "from racism". Doesn't mean a term is racist though. All about how it's used in context.

Furion is an amazing imba ganker and should not be used just to pure farm.

The point is, his strength lies in his ability to farm. While ints like lion can get by with no items, furion is pretty useless if he doesn't put his farming ability to use. Furions greatness derives from his ability to access items like sheep stick fairly early, in addition to his map wide presence.

Basically my point is furion needs farm to become a great support/pusher in comparison to say venomancer.

TommyT

I really don't think ricing is a racist term, especially when applied to a game like this.

Right, in the terms of how it's used in the game I'd agree.

I wouldn't say its racist, cotton picking and farming are common terms as well.

I've never heard someone say anything about cotton picking in this game or any other game where you could farm. "brb gonna go cotton pick bot lane"... So I'm interested in that one as well.

aside: Wasn't meant to spur a debate or anything, just informing of how I've known it to come about. Just like when I asked where "ss" came from and how the hell that meant someone was missing from lane.

Swag

Basically my point is furion needs farm to become a great support/pusher in comparison to say venomancer.
Huh?

All his pushing abilities are inherent in his skill set, Teleport, Treants, WoN, he is already a great pusher, giving him items just helps him have presence in Team Fights outside of sprout. He is arguably the best Pusher in the current hero pool, because he's not reliant on an Ultimate (Shadow Shaman, Krobelus), or external factors in order to push (Chen, Enchantress)
I wouldn't say its racist, cotton picking and farming are common terms as well.

Wtf explain this please
KuGsj.gif

Huh?

All his pushing abilities are inherent in his skill set, Teleport, Treants, WoN, he is already a great pusher, giving him items just helps him have presence in Team Fights outside of sprout. He is arguably the best Pusher in the current hero pool, because he's not reliant on an Ultimate (Shadow Shaman, Krobelus), or external factors in order to push (Chen, Enchantress)

Wtf explain this please
KuGsj.gif

In order to do any real backdoor pushing (ie actually destroy a tower before the enemy team regroups) you need a few items. Its true that rhasta's wards aren't always up but when they are up they'll destroy a tower much faster than furion with no items, even with 2 tree ent packs.

You mention that Furion is pretty useless if he doesn't farm, and yes you are right, Furion is an amazing farmer (I would use the term pusher than farmer). But great furion players will gank as early as level 3, with Urn being a quite popular item.

I'm not advocating a midas + aghanim rush furion who spams ult 24/7. Everyone should carry 2 tp's whenever possible. Even ricers should participate in some team fights/defending towers. Just that the jungle and any pushed lanes should be reserved for them.

Rinku

Banned
The point is, his strength lies in his ability to farm. While ints like lion can get by with no items, furion is pretty useless if he doesn't put his farming ability to use. Furions greatness derives from his ability to access items like sheep stick fairly early, in addition to his map wide presence.

You mention that Furion is pretty useless if he doesn't farm, and yes you are right, Furion is an amazing farmer (I would use the term pusher than farmer). But great furion players will gank as early as level 3, with Urn being a quite popular item.

Actually good furion players gank as early as level 1, someone corrected me on this.

Lirlond

I've heard it once or twice, mostly when someone farms all game and doesn't leave the forest, might just be the people I've played with.

Guesong

That feeling when you get beaten 4v5.

Spectre with 237 gpm, "my team sucks" at end of game.

Yeah.

I'm Tidehunter, I do what I must do, WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH 237 GPM IN A 5v4 YOU USELESS PANCHO.

When do the updates usually drop? (Have to stay up late)

Anyway, I dared to try my first MM games today, had great fun with VS.
I really love the feel of VS.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Anything less and you might as well uninstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom