• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm I might try wasd. Being a long time fps player this might be better for me. I will still have plenty of easily accessible keys left. 1 through 5, q, e, r, f, z, x, c, space bar, ctrl, shift, caps lock, and tab. Plus a thumb button and middle mouse button.

Davidion

Spirit Breaker is one of those heroes where your team has to almost be built around him to be successful mid/late game and if the other team is disable heavy he is basically useless without a bkb.

Yeah, I'm learning that the hard way. He's great fun to play, but his strengths often doesn't jibe with the flow of the game.

As for my controls:

WASD - Camera
1-6 - abilities
ZXCVBN - items
QERT - ability on/off
F - force attack
G - select hero
Tab - Shop

I'm looking into picking up a mouse which will let me map abilities to it. The courier is the only thing I don't have set to hotkeys; need to look into that.

JustinBB7

WASD is my camera too, 123456 for skills, kept R for ultimate. F1 for hero, F2 for courier, F3 for other creeps, but I never really use micro heroes besides Broodmother.

Items are on qefgh and have right click deny on in console on.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Here is my Version:

WASD - Camera
1234 ER - Abilities: (I found having ability key 5 and 6 on ER are simply easier to use, for people like Puck and Invoker)
F1-F6, F - Items (You can use Aliases in the Autoconfig file to bind the same command to more then one key. This gives me a "Quick" item key, since I just move my index finger over)w
Force Attack - Q (Also, I have right click Deny on)
B - Shop
H - Courier
ZXC - Control Groups 1-3
V - Voice
Space - Select Hero
Tab - Select all other units
G - Stop
M - Move (I could be wrong, but normal move isn't needed to often)

Also, the main reason I bound the map panning to WASD back in LoL was for Map Awareness. It really did help. Plus, this allows the use of the mouse strictly for targeting.

Phandy

While you're clicking for items someone might attack you though. Always have to have mouse prepared. That's why I bind all my items to mouse buttons.

While your moving the camera someone might attack you? I was 'kind of' joking when I said that though.

Serious:
I find that with WASD my camera positioning is always very good, better than most people I watch doing mouse-panning (non-pro). And I think it also helps my awareness because I can have the camera in a very precise position to give me the right vision needed around me.

Its all Ifs/buts, pros/cons but personal preference always wins though.

Sanjay

If you want to be better start using mouse for camera control. It may be hard at first but its a skill and once you have it down you will reek the benefits.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Reap.

And yes I agree with Sanjay. It's really about effective division of responsibilities. Preferences don't factor into it very much. You can do well with camera controls, but you'll always be playing at less efficiency than someone using mouse pan, just like how binding only 1-2 of your items is less efficiency than binding all 6.

Tenck

Less efficient in what way? Bindings? You're not limited to a very few amount of keys just because you decided you needed keys that could have been bound to something that are instead bound to directions. You still have the rest of the keyboard to mess around with.

There are people, like you mentioned, that bind a few items and limit themselves to a few commands. But those are people who are ultimately hindering themselves. Even i was a bit like this, but these past few weeks I have bound almost everything to my keyboard and don't feel like I'm being limited because of WASD camera controls.

JustinBB7

I'm trying to view somebodies match history and when I click on details I get an error saying it's denied, it said that for 2 days now, does that get fixed if anybody knows?

Tenck

I'm trying to view somebodies match history and when I click on details I get an error saying it's denied, it said that for 2 days now, does that get fixed if anybody knows?

I had that happen to me while I was checking out Dendi's matches. Went away after a week.

Haly

Less efficient in what way? Bindings?
Less efficient in terms of hand movements. You mentioned that camera panning is much more precise with WASD or arrow keys. This is true, but camera panning does not need to be really precise. What does need to be precise, however, is how fast you can hit a hotkey in response to something happening on screen. Two obvious examples are Puck's Shell and Naix's Rage, both of which need to be under your fingers as often as possible. The more you take your fingers off those keys, the likelier it is you eat a stun/silence/disable you could've dodged.

Tenck

Less efficient in terms of hand movements. You mentioned that camera panning is much more precise with WASD or arrow keys. This is true, but camera panning does not need to be really precise. What does need to be precise, however, is how fast you can hit a hotkey in response to something happening on screen. Two obvious examples are Puck's Shell and Naix's Rage, both of which need to be under your fingers as often as possible. The more you take your fingers off those keys, the likelier it is you eat a stun/silence/disable you could've dodged.

Fair enough, but like I said you bind the most crucial stuff near your hands. It takes less than a second to reach my ability binds. You also mentioned avoiding damage with rage and pucks skills, but by the time you see the enemy team you're already defensive and anticipating an attack, so you should already be set to use your spells defensively or offensively. Only time you'd have problems with not setting off a skill on time is when you get ganked by unseen enemies.

There's pros and cons to setups, but you're limited if you let yourself. Of course we'll disagree on this matter of preference. Fortunately it seems we understand each other's opinions and reasoning(to some extent anyways) Might as well leave it at that :p

Artanisix

you guys make me sick

1,2,3,4 - Item Hotkeys
5 - Hero Hotkey
6 - Misc. Unit Hotkey (Chen creeps, Sylla's bear, Lycan wolves, etc.)
Spacebar - Courier hotkey
Legacy Spell Keys

Haly

you guys make me sick

1,2,3,4 - Item Hotkeys
5 - Hero Hotkey
6 - Misc. Unit Hotkey (Chen creeps, Sylla's bear, Lycan wolves, etc.)
Spacebar - Courier hotkey
Legacy Spell Keys
Go back to LoL.

Tenck

Something Haly and I agree on!!!

On a serious note, OT2 coming tomorrow then Milk? Want to see what you've come up with already!

Artanisix

Yep, it's ready to go whenever this thread fills up =)

And man tell me why I would need more than 4 item hotkeys. I don't even need it for tinker because I can just click my tp boots and I always get bloodstone.

Haly

Arcane Boots - Mek - Force Staff - Ward - TP - Dust.

On the topic of controls...I'm tempted to get a Logitech game board( well not at that price) because it seems like the perfect way to have the ability to camera scroll while keeping your hands in position for moves/items...anyone actually have any experience with this product?

Artanisix

wards, tps, arcane boots are clickable and don't require super-fast reaction time like force staff or mek or wand

also ME PLAYING SUPPORT? YO THATS FUNNY

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
QWER - Abilites
Y - Auto Courier
FGHCV Mouse 5 - Items.

Look at all these dota hipsters using legacy keys.

Also I don't want to say people who bind camera to WASD are baddies, but you're baddies.

1266414383_shadrack_and_the_mandem.gif

Conceptor

Davidion

Also I don't want to say people who bind camera to WASD are baddies, but you're baddies.

What gave that away?

Your gif-fu sucks but I see it's Shadrack and the Mandem so all is forgiven.

I've actually tried using mouse camera pan, and find it strange that you can't reverse the mouse3 screen grab; it actually screws me up quite a bit. The common wisdom is to just pan, then?

qwer - abilities
tab - level up
123456 - items

I have the shop on the default key (either comma or period, I forget), but maybe I should put it on c or something, instead.

I don't play heroes with control groups, and have yet to try one with more than 4 abilities.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Odd, you guys had my wrong Steam name. I fixed it though.

And now people are putting a bunch of links to the Lemon Party website.

Protip: Don't make the document open to anonymous editing.

This list is a great Idea.

But don't click on Url's.

Damn this was fun while it lasted, ruined.

I clicked the link and it was penis everywhere.

Also something about freakinchair and kirby and final and all.

EDIT: If you wanna do something like this, link to a Google Docs survey, for people to input their own name, but don't allow editing of the doc. I'm sure you'd still get wossnames putting bullshit in the survey, but at least they can't delete legit info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom