• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT6| Plz vote for Keeper of the Light Arcana

is
cool.gif
rushing deso like the cool new thing

i keep seeing it

where did it come from

It's not a new thing but it's most likely because of: http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2bhlxr/slahsers_way_furion/

Madouu

Well I started offlaning precisely because I realized most pubs couldn't be trusted with it and that is where we often lost games early on.

In other news, I see swindlemelonzz has made it into the 6k mmr bracket. I guess the road to ti5 starts now for sG, will be cool to see Chessie again.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kaichou wa Maid-sama!

English: Maid-Sama!
Synonyms: Kaicho wa Maidsama, Kaichou wa Meido Sama, Class President is a Maid!

Statistics
Score: 8.351 (scored by 121529 users)
Ranked: #1792
Popularity: #43

Synopsis
Seika High School, once an all-boys school notorious for its wild students and for generally being a terrifying place for girls, has recently become a co-ed school. With the female population still a minority and living in fear of the over-the-top antics of the males, Misaki Ayuzawa takes it into her own hands to reform the school and allow the girls to feel safe in the rough environment.

Training, studying and even becoming the first female student council president of the school, Misaki has gained a reputation among the male students body as an uptight boy-hating dictator and as a shining hope for the teachers and fellow female students. However, despite her tough-as-nails appearance, she secretly works part-time at a maid cafe in order to support her family. Unfortunately, her hard-earned reputation is threatened when the popular, attractive, and somewhat impassive Usui Takumi takes an interest in her after discovering her in a maid uniform after school.
Universe is anime now

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I started playing this game. I want to keep playing but I feel like I'm never going to be even decent unless I memorize the item recipes and all the heros and their stats and special abilities, which would take forever. And at that point I could actually think about some team strategies. I think having this many heroes is bad game design.

Anyways, what should I do to get better within reason? I've been in the limited heros noob section for 15 games and I'm still getting mauled.

Aselith

I started playing this game. I want to keep playing but I feel like I'm never going to be even decent unless I memorize the item recipes and all the heros and their stats and special abilities, which would take forever. And at that point I could actually think about some team strategies. I think having this many heroes is bad game design.

Anyways, what should I do to get better within reason? I've been in the limited heros noob section for 15 games and I'm still getting mauled.

There's a reason the game has existed for more than a decade and is still going strong.

As for improving, it'd probably be good to pick out a few heroes you think are cool and just play them mostly. There are some good beginner video series out there I'll edit some in later. There aren't any real shortcuts though the game takes a long time to really feel a little competent at probably at least a few months.

Murray97

Just keep playing the game. Try and play every hero at least once. Learning what everything does and what items to buy just comes with practice.

Also you don't need to memorize all that stuff to be decent, it helps but its not the most important thing.

I would prefer it if there was more heroes personally. Sure its a lot to take in at first but I know every hero well by now and would like more.

http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck

Acinixys

That character art reminded me. While I was TI, I was looking at the art they had hanging around, and I saw these two that I didn't recognize. Who/what are they?

Edit: My guesses were Arc Warden and Oracle, but I dunno.

I read somewhere that these are Storm Spirit and Oracle/Enigma concepts from years ago

Watch streams/Tournaments/Youtube tutorials of pros playing heroes you like. Purge and Merlini can help with this

But mostly just play the game. Its the only way to really improve. Everyone will tell you that this is a game thats hard to learn impossible to master. Im 2000+ games in and i still suck

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I read somewhere that these are Storm Spirit and Oracle/Enigma concepts from years ago

Watch streams/Tournaments/Youtube tutorials of pros playing heroes you like. Purge and Merlini can help with this

But mostly just play the game. Its the only way to really improve. Everyone will tell you that this is a game thats hard to learn impossible to master. Im 2000+ games in and i still suck

What about it makes it hard to learn other than the large amount of items and heores?

Acinixys

What about it makes it hard to learn other than the large amount of items and heores?

Learning how and when to adjust your item builds to suit the current game

Learning when to push and be aggressive and when to back off

Positioning in fights depending on the hero you're playing

How and when to rotate to other lanes to gank

And so on

Razzer

Some things are very unintuitive, due to how they were developed. For instance, if you hit neutral creeps at a certain time and run away then more creeps spawn in that camp, meaning there are twice as many creeps there. This isn't the kind of thing that just occurs to you looking at a camp, but it is how it works. There are plenty of these kind of things, mostly down to them originally being bugs and simply being kept in by Icefrog as they added depth.

Tenck

How and when to harass.
How to keep the lane closer to you at all times.
How to pull your creeps into the jungle closest to your tier one towers to help your carry not get shit on.
How to gank.
Buying items to help out your team (wards, courier, flying courier, smoke, etc.)

I'm not sure anyone can really list it all though. There's just so much to learn, that it kinda makes people not want to keep trying. The thing is though, with enough playtime, this all comes naturally. It's a huge commitment though, so be prepared to play hundreds of hours to really get a grasp on things. I myself have easily over 3k hours on Dota 2, and I can't see myself stop any time soon. The game is that fun.

To help with the items:

Just pick the next item you are going to buy from the recommended list. Use a player guide to if you know how to turn those on, they have some good comments sometimes. You drag the item to the quick buy box in the bottom right. You'll easily can buy the components through that way and you even get a handy icon whether you have to buy it in a secret shop or not. You don't really need to memorize the items right now.

As for the heroes. I don't remember how that went for me. I never felt that to be too troubling for me. It just comes with time.

Besides that, there are a huge amount of things to learn about DOTA, mechanically too. There are all kinds of small mechanics that you can use to get better, but really are not useful when you are starting out and then you have all kinds of abilities that have weird interactions with each other.

For example one of those mechanics is creeps stacking. Now this is something you probably should not care about now. But on every minute, all the neutral camps will repopulate when empty. So if you aggro a neutral camp out of their spawn area on the spawn time, it will spawn another one and you can get farm double as much. Or three times, or four times. Or multiple camps at once. And then you need to decide when it is worth it to take the time for that.

This is one of the bigger mechanics to grasp, but there is a lot more.

EDIT: Making a difference between learning and mastering here. Learning DOTA already takes a long time. Actually mastering all the mechanics that you learn is an entirely different beast.

Vaporak

Learning the heroes isn't the hard part, that's just the rules of the game; that's never the hard part of any deep game. The hard part is learning the implications of those rules to arbitrary circumstances that arise in the game.

Zeth

The newest Warlock golem wasn't working yesterday - I'm guessing this will go into the list of broken cosmetics recently released?

Wok

A random raffle.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=845864.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Daikatana -- MB-948B20B1AE731CC2 - Taken by ViviOggi. 1 entrants total.
Hitman Codename 47 -- MB-E59AAF72ED502C15 - Taken by rhophiehalul78. 1 entrants total.
Thief Gold -- MB-985A6618A9273B50 - Taken by SamVimes. 2 entrants total.

t1406390834z1.png

Falk

that puzzling face
Some things are very unintuitive,

An IRL discussion with a couple of colleagues a few days back reminded me; One that's second nature to all (most?) of us but objectively unintuitive to someone thrown into the deep end of the pool is the laning phase and NOT auto-attacking (regardless of the immediately obvious fact that last hitting nets you gold). In pretty much every game, you'd want to hit enemies. Because, well, they're enemies, right? And the faster they die, the better.

Of course, in in DOTA that just means pushing the lane to the enemy tower, leaving you more open to ganks and the enemy less so.

That's barely scratching the surface of the intricacies that the whole game flow evolved around over the course of more than a decade now.

Razzer

An IRL discussion with a couple of colleagues a few days back reminded me; One that's second nature to all (most?) of us but objectively unintuitive to someone thrown into the deep end of the pool is the laning phase and NOT auto-attacking (regardless of the immediately obvious fact that last hitting nets you gold). In pretty much every game, you'd want to hit enemies. Because, well, they're enemies, right? And the faster they die, the better.

Of course, in in DOTA that just means pushing the lane to the enemy tower, leaving you more open to ganks and the enemy less so.

That's barely scratching the surface of the intricacies that the whole game flow evolved around over the course of more than a decade now.

Yeah, I actually had a friend start playing two weeks ago and when we got to lane I told him not to hit the creeps and it took like 10 minutes for me to explain why he shouldn't. He just couldn't get his head around it.

Zeth

Yeah, I actually had a friend start playing two weeks ago and when we got to lane I told him not to hit the creeps and it took like 10 minutes for me to explain why he shouldn't. He just couldn't get his head around it.

I've had to walk people through the process of unchecking auto-attack and/or finding the stop key. Sometimes people are very unresponsive to this advice but I always try to be kind.

BraXzy

Do we have any idea when the online secret shop is gonna get updated? Everything will sell out in minutes so I don't want to miss the boat.

t0rment

go trough the tutorial, then go play some bot matches with the heroes you are most comfortable with to learn more about the hero, the items and the game. also watch some beginners videos with the basics of the game. don't go to pubs just to feed, since you're gonna be hurting your team, getting frustrated and learning very little.

i've always rushed deso after sheep after midas after treads. I like minus armour/attack speed. Necro is occasionally bought.

Deso rush, as in like first big item? I always see NP's get Deso late for the shiny red projectiles.

Also, its nice to have a game where even in losing I still enjoy it a lot. Dire went full on split push siege and simply destroyed all our buildings at 45 minutes. The NP got super fat to the extent that I just doomed him every fight since Invoker was actually less of a problem.
http://dotabuff.com/matches/797928898

I have no clue how to build doom, and feel I may have gone too tanky with not much DPS. I got stuck in the jungle and ended up doing Vlads -> Phase -> Shivas -> Heart -> Crystalis (Was planning on getting a full Daedalus). The blink was a last second desperation item that worked decently but simply wasn't enough.

no like boots then deso

It's not a new thing but it's most likely because of: http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2bhlxr/slahsers_way_furion/
im gonna blame this

Ketch

I'm glad PPD excepts the blame for game 3 because he's the one I blame for that garbage draft.

Edit: mason is pretty unpro

Razzer

Team beats Sing stack 5v4, lose 7 mmr cus the one guy abandoned.

Edit: Just saw the 18 tweets thing over on Reddit. Time to speculate who isn't changing boys!

I know it's trolling

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Holy shit you guys, Sheever just missed Roshan with a PotM arrow... He wasn't even aggro'd yet. He was just standing there... I don't even....

ed: Oh wait it was Press Q! SORRY SHEEVER!

shira

Do we have any idea when the online secret shop is gonna get updated? Everything will sell out in minutes so I don't want to miss the boat.

What exactly do you want? A lot of the shirts are on welovefine.com and the mousepads remain sold out.

Top Bottom