• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Downsampling, a simple method for making your pc-games look better.

Dark Souls works at 7200 x 4050 :D, 10 fps at a time. Anything higher and shit crashes.

how can someone attain such high downsampling? and wouldn't AA removal and IQ peak after a certain res when you downsample.. due to the limitations of the native resolution and dot pitch of your monitor?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
how can someone attain such high downsampling? and wouldn't AA removal and IQ peak after a certain res when you downsample.. due to the limitations of the native resolution and dot pitch of your monitor?

Don't question the legitimacy. Just wave your graphics dick around and hit the highest numbers you can!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey Corky I decided to make you something to commemorate the thread.

i7Bfm1TfPvIMo.gif

Idk why I never tried using higher internal resolutions in Dolphin but I just put my dolphin to 4x Native(resolution was around 2056 something) and I put full screen res to 2560x1440 and the games didn't take a performance hit but looked unbelievably crisp!

In PCSX2 same thing I set internal res to that custom resolution and performance didn't seem to change at all.

Idk why I never tried using higher internal resolutions in Dolphin but I just put my dolphin to 4x Native(resolution was around 2056 something) and I put full screen res to 2560x1440 and the games didn't take a performance hit but looked unbelievably crisp!

In PCSX2 same thing I set internal res to that custom resolution and performance didn't seem to change at all.

Holyshit you're right, some game in dolphin are CPU bound and wont take nearly any performance hit from downsampling.

IMMA GO PLAY GAMECUBE NAO KTHANKSBAI

Does downsampling work for Nvidia 650M GT? I really want to play The Witcher 2, but I get very poor performance, even at low settings and resolution.

Being retarded when it comes to understanding resolutions and aspect ratios, this is really confusing working with a 1920x1200 16:10 monitor -.-

So far the max I have working is 2880x1800(Automatic Timings)

I wanted to give this a shot, but can't even get past the first steps, lol. When I get into the adjust desktop size and position menu, there isn't even an option for GPU on the dropdown menu for "perform scaling on". "Display" is the only option, hahaha. I'm using the relatively shitty Sony 3D monitor, and a GTX 570. Well it's stating I have a 570, I was thinking it was a 560 ti or something. I've installed the latest drivers, but I usually get some sort of error when it finishes, though it still appears I'm using the latest set. Ah well, I'll fuck around with it more later

Sweet, this thread allowed me to figure out that I can get up to 3200x1800 @59Hz on my 560Ti!

Not that I'll be able to play much at that resolution, but it's still nifty.

elfinke

Last time a similar thread popped up (Scitek's AMD/ATI one, I believe it was) I meant to give this a whirl, but forgot somewhere along the line.

Anyway, I followed the guru3d instructions and it worked without fault first go. I'm running a 2500+2gb6950 on a Dell 2209WA (1680x1050 native res, 16:10 FTW suckaz).

The German Ati program correctly and auto setup a custom res at 2560x1600, which I've then tested out in my current playthrough of Spec:Ops, and then spent the entire damn afternoon playing Awesomenauts, also at that resolution.

Both games run without fault at that res and look a damn treat to boot.

Once the cricket ends tonight I'll give this a whirl on my 50" Panasonic and see if I can break it, given it is 16:9.

Medalion

Banned
I must have a weak monitor or old drivers cuz I can't seem to get beyond 2560x1440 at 75Hz.

Everything looks smaller not quite as sharp, I am not even sure if I am doing this right.

PewPewK

When I hit test, none of the things you listed happens. Instead, Nvidia CP just tells me the custom resolution isn't supported as in it's not even trying to change the resolution.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
There's some confusion here, I hope I can make it more clear..

Thanks! Very informative.

This might be a stupid question but if my monitor is 1920x1200 does this change anything when setting the custom resolutions? I assume since the card is down sampling back to that res anyway I shouldn't have to do anything different.

I was going to say "just make sure your custom res is 16:10" but then I realized that in the timings window there are values for total pixels, for example the "total vertical pixels" which is set to 1090, I assume this would be different on a 16:10 monitor. What you can do is to skip manual timings and to the part of the guide where you use automatic settings, so try : 2560x1660 or 2880x1800

Edit: Nevermind, I'm dumb! It actually adds the custom resolutions as selectable options in the game and I can keep my desktop at 1080p. Didn't know that.

Yeah that's how it's supposed to work across all games.

In the case of Dark Souls it's actually pretty funny, I use DSfix to downsample to my downsample resolution ( insert xzibit ), so running the game "natively" at 3600x2025 and using a x4 SSAA ( or whatever the equivalent is in the .ini ) you get 7400x4050 framebuffer screenshots.

Hey Corky I decided to make you something to commemorate the thread.

http://i.minus.com/i7Bfm1TfPvIMo.gif[/img[/QUOTE]

Lol thanks <3, although I guess I should buy myself a nice, long, 5970 for those extra inches.

[quote="Coolbgdog12, post: 46652419"]
In PCSX2 same thing I set internal res to that custom resolution and performance didn't seem to change at all.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, emulators barely stress your gpu at "normal" resolutions, in the case of dolphin you can go all out and use downsampling together with the x4SSAA or even x9SSAA in some games if you have the gpu for it.

[quote="JustProgress, post: 46654490"]I went to 2560x1440 and my stuff all blurry. Did I miss a step?[/QUOTE]

What is blurry? The game? Certain ui-elements in games can tend to become "fuzzy" or soft considering they're scaled down to such a small size.

[quote="ToD_, post: 46647506"]Same here. It works fine on my TV, but on my Dell U2711 (2560x1440 native) I can't get higher resolutions at all it seems.[/QUOTE]

Aye, like I mentioned in the OP I myself had a Dell u2711 and 2560x1440 was my ceiling on that monitor, not a pixel over.

Corky

Gonna go nuts tomorrow with my 3 monitor setup. What is a good resolution?

You running 5760x1080? In fact I'm not sure downsampling works well with multi-monitor setups. I'd be surprised if even 4gb of vram would be enough for anything even remotely close to 4xogssaa at 5760x1080.

There's some confusion here, I hope I can make it more clear.

Both SGSSAA and OGSSAA (which ~= downsampling) are SSAA (supersampling) methods. That means both deal with aliasing in all its forms (normal edge aliasing, subpixel aliasing, alpha aliasing and shader aliasing). And both increase the temporal stability of the picture.

SSAA methods use multiple samples per pixel (instead of 1 sample without AA) and combine them to form the final color of each pixel. The performance hit for all SSAA method is large and should be the roughly same at similar sample count (that is, 4xOGSSAA has the same performance hit as 4xSGSSAA).

Where OGSSAA and SGSSAA differ is in how they place these samples within each pixel. In OGSSAA, they are placed on a regular grid, while in SGSSAA the are placed on a sparse grid (think N-queens with N being the number of samples). Thus, with the same sample count, SGSSAA achieves a better reduction in aliasing artifacts. How much better depends on the angle of the aliased edge, but the difference is most pronounced at almost horizontal (or almost vertical) lines, which are usually also the ones with the most visible aliasing, particularly in motion.

To understand why this is the case, think about the sample patterns, and how each sample falls on the edge. With an ordered grid and a near-horizontal edge, the upper two and lower two samples will almost always be either both covered or both not covered, so you only get a single intermediate step (neither upper nor lower row covered, one row covered, both rows covered). With a sparse grid, each sample has a different position in the Y dimension, so you will get 3 intermediate steps (no sample covered, lowest sample covered, 2 samples covered, 3 samples covered, all samples covered).

If you google "AA sampling patterns" you can find some illustrations of the sampling patterns used on current GPUs.
Doesn't OGSSAA also scale everything including the UI whilst SGSSAA should only touch the game and not the UI?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
You running 5760x1080? In fact I'm not sure downsampling works well with multi-monitor setups. I'd be surprised if even 4gb of vram would be enough for anything even remotely close to 4xogssaa at 5760x1080.

We are going to find out. Going to put the 4gb 680 to work. Will post screens.

GHG

The highest I can get to is 2880 x 1620 on my 3GB 660 SLI setup. Any tips to go higher than that resolution?

I'm using the HDMI output rather than the DVI-D, could that be the problem? I have a DVI-D to HDMI converter laying about, should I be using that rather than the native HDMI output?

I feel I'm not pushing these puppys to the limit at that resolution in a lot of games, there's more IQ to be had!

Corky

The highest I can get to is 2880 x 1620 on my 3GB 660 SLI setup. Any tips to go higher than that resolution?

I'm using the HDMI output rather than the DVI-D, could that be the problem? I have a DVI-D to HDMI converter laying about, should I be using that rather than the native HDMI output?

Is that with only automatic settings? If so give manual a try, if you already tried manual settings try putting the refresh rate to 59 instead of 60.

Hmm I don't actually know, do each monitor output have its own scaler? If so it's atleast worth a try, couldn't hurt but like I said in the OP going from a lower bandwidth solution to a higher one actually netted me worse results somehow...

Sethos

Banned
Before this thread, I was miserable. My games didn't have that special look, I was unable to compete in competitive multiplayer and my sperm count was at an all-time low.

Yet that was not meant to last because like lightning from a blue sky, Corky appeared to save my soul - He turned the water into wine and drank it and he turned my games from this;

0f8qzp.jpg

Into this;

Thank you Corky, thank you for everything!

GHG

Is that with only automatic settings? If so give manual a try, if you already tried manual settings try putting the refresh rate to 59 instead of 60.

Hmm I don't actually know, do each monitor output have its own scaler? If so it's atleast worth a try, couldn't hurt but like I said in the OP going from a lower bandwidth solution to a higher one actually netted me worse results somehow...

Yeh that's using automatic settings. What things should I be changing around in the manual settings other than the refresh rate?

Corky

Yeh that's using automatic settings. What things should I be changing around in the manual settings other than the refresh rate?

Ok try these manual timings, make sure to copy everything but in reality the total pixels values should be the only thing that will need adjusting.

customres3tsk16.png

Total pixels. In the above case they're set to 2020 and 1090.

Before this thread, I was miserable. My games didn't have that special look, I was unable to compete in competitive multiplayer and my sperm count was at an all-time low.

Yet that was not meant to last because like lightning from a blue sky, Corky appeared to save my soul - He turned the water into wine and drank it and he turned my games from this;

Oh god lol. Well, I don't want others to get their hopes up too much, you're a fringe example Sethos. Can't believe people play BF3 looking like that, animals.

Kabuto

Thanks for the thread Corky! If I'm getting this straight though, I only use these resolutions when I'm gaming right? Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Corky

Thanks for the thread Corky! If I'm getting this straight though, I only use these resolutions when I'm gaming right? Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Yeah, no need to change your desktop resolution.

GHG

Ok try these manual timings, make sure to copy everything but in reality the total pixels values should be the only thing that will need adjusting.

customres3tsk16.png

Total pixels. In the above case they're set to 2020 and 1090.

Oh god lol. Well, I don't want others to get their hopes up too much, you're a fringe example Sethos. Can't believe people play BF3 looking like that, animals.

Thanks for the tips. The above settings didn't work unfortunately.

I did however, manage to get 3200 x 1800 working at 59hz so thats an improvement!

I guess I just need to play around with it more, but don't know if its even worth going higher!

EDIT:

Just had a quick go with Crysis at 3200 x 1800 with no AA... Its glorious! Runs between 30-45 fps for me at that resolution which is far beyond what I had expected. Took a couple of quick screens:

crysis642013-01-2012-crxxs.png

crysis642013-01-2012-9szh6.png

Corky

I did however, manage to get 3200 x 1800 working at 59hz so thats an improvement!

I guess I just need to play around with it more, but don't know if its even worth going higher!

Good to hear, keep in mind that a resolution of 3200x1800 is no slouch. That's almost 3 times the resolution of 1080p.

GHG

Good to hear, keep in mind that a resolution of 3200x1800 is no slouch. That's almost 3 times the resolution of 1080p.

Yeh, I just updated above with some results from Crysis. Its incredible. I actually get better performance downsampling from that resolution with no AA than I do at 2560x1440 with AA. I was using 2560x1440 with AA in most games before but I think this with no AA will be my new default go-to setup for optimal IQ.

I wanted to give this a shot, but can't even get past the first steps, lol. When I get into the adjust desktop size and position menu, there isn't even an option for GPU on the dropdown menu for "perform scaling on". "Display" is the only option, hahaha. I'm using the relatively shitty Sony 3D monitor, and a GTX 570. Well it's stating I have a 570, I was thinking it was a 560 ti or something. I've installed the latest drivers, but I usually get some sort of error when it finishes, though it still appears I'm using the latest set. Ah well, I'll fuck around with it more later

By any chance are you using a VGA cable? if so then yes you will only see a display scaling option I believe.

Wortany

Thanks for the guide, couldn't get past 3200x1800 though. (which isn't bad of course).
I'm still searching for a higher res setting that could work with 120hz. I had to set everything at 60hz to work. (Not that I would get many games above 60fps)

First game that came to mind to try it with was Sleeping Dogs and it's beautiful.
Also, as you can see at the fraps counter, I'm getting 22-24 fps average with some areas ~30fps on a GTX680. So it is 'playable' but I rather like ~50-60fps with decent IQ then 24fps with perfect IQ.

I'm not the best at taking shots so please don't hurt me.
Sleeping Dogs: 1920x1080 downsampled from 3200x1800.

BlazinAm

Will other programs and desktop object scale to your tv monitor resolution or the new custom resolution? I am hoping to scale 1080p to 720p which is my montior standard.

RooMHM

Thanks for this guide. What about 120hz monitors? Mine says it cannot do 2 x 1080 at 60hz. Is that normal? What is better? 1.5 x 1080 or 1080 with 2x SGSSAA?

Corky

Will other programs and desktop object scale to your tv monitor resolution or the new custom resolution? I am hoping to scale 1080p to 720p which is my montior standard.

Your desktop will stay at your regular resolution unless you want to change it. Certain games scale the UI but most I've tried don't, however nowadays most modern "AAA" games aren't really UI-intensive so to speak.

Thanks for this guide. What about 120hz monitors? Mine says it cannot do 2 x 1080 at 60hz. Is that normal? What is better? 1.5 x 1080 or 1080 with 2x SGSSAA?

Well I don't actually know what happens when you use a 120 Hz monitor with regards to results, other than you can't really downsample at 120 Hz due to bandwidth limitations. I do know that downsampling works at 60 Hz until you reach very high resolutions where you need to turn down the refreshrate as far down as 30 Hz, which kinda ruins the main benefit of a 120 Hz I'd say.

BlazinAm

This has nothing to do with downsampling but I run a dual monitor setup and on my laptop screen(768p) everything is huge compared to my tv where it runs at 1080i, I wonder if there is a way beyond the windows settings to make object smaller on my laptop screen?

Top Bottom