• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Downsampling, a simple method for making your pc-games look better.

Elven_Star

I wish all games had their own downsampling tool like Infinite Warfare. The AMD + Ultrawide combo which I use is not properly supported by Crimson.

I have a problem with nvidia and DSR. I have a tv-monitor with a native resolution of 1360x768, it can go to 1920x1080 but it looks blurry and a mess. When I use DSR, instead of downsampling the image to my native resolution it downsample it to the 1920x1080 one, resulting in a blurry mess. Is this still the case? Does it recognize native resolution with the latest driver?

Vlodril

yea i thought to try it out since i got a 970 quite a while ago and this thread just reminded me of downscaling but going from 2560x1440 to 1080p everything seems blurry. more on my tv than my monitor but its still noticable in my monitor too. and thats just the windows 10 dekstop.

No idea why. dsr smoothness doesnt really seem to do anything. (using the dsr option on nvidia panel). its also making the fonts harder to read for some reason.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
yea i thought to try it out since i got a 970 quite a while ago and this thread just reminded me of downscaling but going from 2560x1440 to 1080p everything seems blurry. more on my tv than my monitor but its still noticable in my monitor too. and thats just the windows 10 dekstop.

No idea why. dsr smoothness doesnt really seem to do anything. (using the dsr option on nvidia panel). its also making the fonts harder to read for some reason.

Weird. VSR on my 280X looks really good scaling 1440p down to 1080. At least in exclusive fullscreen. Windowed either makes the window huge or the downscaling ends up blurring it. I know VSR and DSR are different techniques and all but I thought Nvidia did stuff good

Leks

Help GAF.

I don't know how but I can't create a new resolution higher than 2560x1440 (native resolution of my monitor) anymore. The test fails every time, says the resolution is not supported by my display, but it was.

My specs:

- GTX 1080 (drivers 375.95)
- Asus PG279Q (2560x1440, 144Hz)
- Windows 10

Thanks!

RS4-

I said fuck it and just ran custom res on both monitors at 1440p. Dsr was annoying if I alt tabbed or had some window on the other monitor.

Now I didn't check by running custom and dsr to see if I still had those weird issues.

basis

silly question, i been trying to follow this guide on an Acer X34. but everytime I tried, it said the monitor does not support the higher resolution that I wanted to set eg: 5120x2880

not sure if i am hardware limited by my monitor.

RedSwirl

Been trying to downsample RE6 with custom resolutions and it just isn't happening. I'm trying to see if 4K60 is doable on a 1070 but I just get a black screen if I try to do it in fullscreen. Is this one of those games where you need GeDoSaTo or something?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
just curious, i have a GTX 1070 and a BenQ RL2455HM. it seems the highest i can go is 2560x1440 but there are some games my card can do 4K fine but it doesn't work. is it an issue with my monitor?

Nzyme32

just curious, i have a GTX 1070 and a BenQ RL2455HM. it seems the highest i can go is 2560x1440 but there are some games my card can do 4K fine but it doesn't work. is it an issue with my monitor?

There could be a bunch of reasons. Are you using nvidia's DSR to do this or doing this some other way?

One thing I found a long time ago, make sure you are using displayport of HDMI and not a conversion cable from a DVI or VGA montior - obviously the correct data of the monitors native resolution etc is not correctly sent over, so it won't work out correctly a whole bunch of the time if you happen to have a display that is not at a popular resolution / aspect ratio. Genereally speaking there shouldn't be an issue using DSR to get 4k downscaled to 1080p for example, even if your system can't perform well.

Schlomo

This may seem like a strange question, but is it possible to downsample to a lower than native resolution?

My new TV is native 4k but also supports 1080p 120Hz. Now if I change the resolution in-game to 4k, it goes back to 60Hz. Can I somehow "hide" the native capability of the display in order to use DSR at 1080p?

nOoblet16

Is there any reason to use smoothness if you are downsampled from a resolution that's even? Like say 4x would mean 2x for both height and width do that's even but downsampled from any other factor like 2x or 1.8x would give you uneven count in which case you'd need smoothness to mitigate the artifacts.

Question as to whether or not this would just be my TV, or if it's an intended effect: When I bump up the resolution to 1440p on my 1080p screen, I've noticed that with some games that blacks become more pronounced. With Bayonetta this was fine, but I feel like with the Witcher 3 they're being crushed, and the overall game just feels... darker. So is that actually an issue, or is it just a matter of the higher resolution?

Mugsy323

Neo Member
I know this is an old thread, but I'm trying to emulate 4K resolution on my 2K monitor.

Unfortunately, the example provided on page 1 is for a 1920x1080 monitor and I have a 16:10 2560x1600 monitor. I can use the example settings, but it looks like crud on my monitor. Any other setting immediately reports "Test Failed" w/o even trying. I've tried calculating the settings by hand but nothing I've tried works. My 2GB GTX670 supposedly supports 4K monitors, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Can anyone help me figure out how to perform this trick on a 16:10 2K 60Hz monitor? TIA

Top Bottom