• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Downsampling, a simple method for making your pc-games look better.

Once you've added your higher resolutions though, it's really no hassle.

They are just added to the list of resolution options in your game settings.

And for games that allow resolution changes during gameplay (Thief is one of the quickest for what it's worth) it makes it easy to swap back and forth to see the difference.

yatesl

What do the timings do? I can run a 3840 x 2160 @ 65Hz display with the manual timings, and all I've noticed is that my start bar shrinks (to 4k size), but normal windows stay the same.

blaidd

Banned
Does anyone have any experience downsampling Thief (2014)? SSAA is an in-game AA options, but perhaps downsampling would also increase texture sharpness.

Thief's SSAA is OGSSAA (Ordered Grid Supersampling), which is pretty much the same as Downsampling. You could downsample that again, though it wouldn't improve texture quality by much, since with it always comes a little bit of blur.

What is the difference between GeDoSaTo and downsampling? Those one have the preference over the other?

GeDoSaTo ist an abbreviation fo "Generic Downsampling Tool" ;-) So it's basically the same. Durantes tool let's you tweak settings and is fit for really high resolutions, which you won't get with driver-based downsampling - which is generally really awesome - it has some restrictions though. Anyways, GeDoSaTo and Durantes work is much appreciated.

Anyone tried Mass Effect 1?
Yes. Both with driver-based Downsampling and with GeDoSaTo (pics) Works fine.

For AMD-Users: There's still hope to get official support for driver-based Downsapling, too. Some of us are not satisfied with the current situation (having to fiddle with the Windows Registry and not achieving complete success) and will keep bitching ;-):
766993d1409863276-radeon-r9-285-anisotrope-filterung-veraendert-treiberbug-verhindert-hq-af-unter-dx9-amd-downsampling.png

Regards,
blaidd

molnizzle

For some reason under the option "Perform scaling on" I only get the "display" option and not the "GPU" one. Is this a problem? I'm running my PC into a TV not a PC monitor via my a'v receiver.

Same here. Panasonic ST30 with a Yamaha V471 receiver.

It sucks because GeDoSaTo doesn't play nice with Big Picture mode, so there's basically no way for me to have clean IQ in Dark Souls II. I toughed it out in the first game thinking I would finally have something good to look at in the sequel.

Only downside to comfy couch PC gaming. There are probably solutions available out there but all of the hardcore PC tinkering types are still playing on monitors I guess. Oh well.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So it's basically the same. Durantes tool let's you tweak settings and is fit for really high resolutions, which you won't get with driver-based downsampling - which is generally really awesome - it has some restrictions though. Anyways, GeDoSaTo and Durantes work is much appreciated

It's definitely worth noting that GeDoSaTo also has the option to select a scaling method, so it's actually improved over driver based downsampling. Now you can get things like Bicubic and Lanczos resizing in real time which provides what should be identical quality to the downsampled screenshots people see.

blaidd

Banned
It's definitely worth noting that GeDoSaTo also has the option to select a scaling method, so it's actually improved over driver based downsampling. Now you can get things like Bicubic and Lanczos resizing in real time which provides what should be identical quality to the downsampled screenshots people see.

Yes, you're right, it's worth mentioning. I'm actually writing an article regarding GeDoSaTo (again), and I'll be going a little bit deeper into the matter - It's the best downsampling tool availlable hands down, so it should get some constant love from the media as far as I'm concerned. ;)

Btw.: AMD-users, have a look at this:

Firepro_Downsampling_pcgh.png

Constant nagging might actually help. :)
Custom Resolutions Catalyst 14.20 RC (for FirePro)

Source: pcgameshardware.de

Regards,
blaidd

Pakoe

I was having a play with down sampling some games at the weekend and I noticed the games seemed darker when doing so.

A post was made way back when in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=47655536&highlight=contrast#post47655536

I just wondered if there was an obvious answer / reason for this?
Quick question about downsampling. Whenever I downsample from 1080p to 1440p, my games tend to darken by a good bit. I try to counter this by increasing the overall brightness in-game, though the overall image tends to worsen as I continue to increase the brightness. Does anyone here have a solution? My pc is hooked up to my 40 inch Tv via HDMI, and I'm using a NVIDIA GTX 660, for anyone who is wondering.
It's an issue with Nvidia drivers that I still can't believe hasn't been fixed or addressed yet. Basically, standard HDTV resolutions like 1080p are output using the limited RGB color range (16-235) when connected via HDMI. When you're changing the resolution to 1440p it's switching back to full RGB range (0-255) which is typically used by PC monitors. There's a setting in the control panel to change which RGB range you're using but it only affects video content.

The solutions: either connect your PC with a DVI cable, or use Durante's Nvidia RGB Full/limited range toggler. It's simple to use, just follow the steps on screen then change the black levels setting on your TV to match your selected RGB range. Your GPU will no longer switch back and forth between RGB ranges at different resolutions.

KyleCross

So all and all downsampling is more taxing than AA right? For example playing 1080p with 4x AA is less heavy than 1440p without AA? Least that seems to be the case with my GeForce GTX 645 on the few games I've tested. I struggle to hit 60fps on most modern games at 1080p.

d00d3n

I don't know how it happened, but 3840x2160 to 1080p downsampling started to work on my panasonic plasma today. I remember going through excruciating steps trying to push the internal resolution above 3200x1800 about a year ago, but I never succeeded. And today 4k worked out of the box with automatic timings ... I am fairly sure NVIDIA said that the DSR thing was reserved for their new line of gpu:s (which I don't own), so I guess that it is not that. My hardware is exactly the same ( 3570k@4.6, 8 gig ram, 2x780 sli, win7), except that I installed a dedicated physx card recently (a 750 ti). The computer is connected to the tv with a dvi to hdmi cable as usual.

Has anyone else had a "spontaneous" increase downscaling ability like this, with all the relevant hardware staying exactly the same?

SOLDIER

I'm having an odd problem that's keeping me from being able to use the downsample resolution on my big TV; for reasons I can't explain, my PC has reversed my display information on my two monitors: my PC monitor is listed as my Samsung TV, and vice-versa.

Because of this, I can't create a custom resolution that carries over to my Samsung TV, only my desktop PC. It was working fine before, so I'm not sure what made this happen. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

I'm having an odd problem that's keeping me from being able to use the downsample resolution on my big TV; for reasons I can't explain, my PC has reversed my display information on my two monitors: my PC monitor is listed as my Samsung TV, and vice-versa.

Because of this, I can't create a custom resolution that carries over to my Samsung TV, only my desktop PC. It was working fine before, so I'm not sure what made this happen. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?
Not sure if what I'm about to describe is suitable for your situation, but you need to create custom resolutions for all the displays you use. When you switch to your TV, the custom resolutions don't carry over, you need to create new ones for your TV.

Thrakier

Hey there,

DSR adds so many resolutions to the menu - I don't know which one to chose. I thought for 1080p these were the golden ones:

• 2.400 x 1.350 (+25 Prozent pro Achse)
• 2.880 x 1.620 (+50 Prozent pro Achse)
• 3.840 x 2.160 (+100 Prozent pro Achse)

But I don't even see those within the DSR resolutions, except 4k.

Ok so I have set my custom resolutions but can't get them to show up in game. What's going on? Doesn't show up in dota 2 or dragon age origins.

Jeremy

I recently reinstalled my OS and since then I can no longer downsample without getting a black screen. Any ideas?

I'm using an HDTV as my monitor.

Anyone have any luck getting this to work on one of those Korean 1440p monitors? I have an X-STAR DP2710 and I just get a message saying whatever resolution I'm trying isn't supported whenever I try to test it. Thing is, it doesn't even attempt it (screen doesn't go black or anything). Are there some manual settings I'll need to figure out?

Anyone have any luck getting this to work on one of those Korean 1440p monitors? I have an X-STAR DP2710 and I just get a message saying whatever resolution I'm trying isn't supported whenever I try to test it. Thing is, it doesn't even attempt it (screen doesn't go black or anything). Are there some manual settings I'll need to figure out?

I have a QNIX QX2710.

3840x2160 timings:
11524557706_3ec08b7467_o.png

5120x2880 timings:
11508709973_55d31aaa3a_o.png

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So uh... is text in games like subtitles supposed to be blurry when setting the game at the monitors normal native resolution doesn't "blur"/distort the text and the text is crisp/clear?

In-game graphics look mostly fine but that's something that's triggering my anal tendencies because I like not having my HUD/stuff blurry.

So I'm a bit confused here. I just create the custom resolution then apply it to my desktop and then apply it to my game's settings and that's it I'm downsampling?

Also I am a bit worried about this screen:

2-customresolutions9okgh.png

My customize resolution window looks like this:
RgQzfiR.png

I only have one boxed checked.

So yeah, DSR doesn't work for me. It just says 'unsupported signal' on my monitor when I select the DSR resolution in-game. I thought the whole idea of this system was that it downsampled to your monitor's resolution?

Edit: tried GeDoSaTo and that worked, Durante > Nvidia lol

one downside to DSR is you cant downsample on multimonitor setups if they are different base resolutions.

with custom resolutions and GPU scaling, i can get a 1080p monitor to duplicate my desktop to a 1680x1050 monitor with aspect ratio scaling via the GPU.

this is useful for anyone wanting to mirror their non-1080p monitor on a 1080p TV/monitor/

What is the max. somebody's got with the 780 Ti? I just hit the 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz. Obviously haven't tested a game yet. Wondering which I should do first.

Edit: Just tested with the first Assassin's Creed (since it was the last game I played) and it worked fine at 4k but it gave no audio?!

Edit 2: Guess the audio thing is just my system simply not being able to render both video at such high resolution AND audio. When dropping res in these games, I get audio back.

I actually got Tomb Raider to run at 4k, but it was like a storybook in terms of frame rate! lol

I need some help regarding downsampling Red Orchestra 2. I did it and it's working just fine (used AMD's new downsampling option in CCC) but my friend who tries the same thing is only met with his actual screen shrinking, as in: getting black borders around the edges.
It's a 16:9 monitor with 60hz just like mine (altough my screen is a couple years older) but i don't see why he would have these problems? We checked his monitor options in CCC and they matched mine, so i cant for the life of me figure out what the problem is.

Any of you guys who might be able to help?

cally

Neo Member
Same here. Panasonic ST30 with a Yamaha V471 receiver.

It sucks because GeDoSaTo doesn't play nice with Big Picture mode, so there's basically no way for me to have clean IQ in Dark Souls II. I toughed it out in the first game thinking I would finally have something good to look at in the sequel.

Only downside to comfy couch PC gaming. There are probably solutions available out there but all of the hardcore PC tinkering types are still playing on monitors I guess. Oh well.

Hi all, i've just tried setting this up for the first time using my samsung tv for display. I cant get the GPU option either to do my upscaling. So I went ahead and added the custom resolutions and they showed up in game, so i'm downsampling now or will it still not be working?

DSR??
Will this work on dolphin also?
Thanks

Still not working for me even though it used to many drivers ago.

"Perform scaling on GPU" option does not stick anymore. I hit Apply and it goes right back to "Perform scaling on Display".

What the hell?

cally

Neo Member
Hi all, i've just tried setting this up for the first time using my samsung tv for display. I cant get the GPU option either to do my upscaling. So I went ahead and added the custom resolutions and they showed up in game, so i'm downsampling now or will it still not be working?

DSR??
Will this work on dolphin also?
Thanks

Anyone??

Still not working for me even though it used to many drivers ago.

"Perform scaling on GPU" option does not stick anymore. I hit Apply and it goes right back to "Perform scaling on Display".

What the hell?

After reading dozens of threads on this on dozens of forums, there seems to be no solution. For some people. GPU scaling is either greyed out or immediately reverts to Display when you hit Apply. No one seems to know why this happens for some people or has any fix.

Is there anywhere of downsampling 2560x1440 at 120/144hz on a 1080p 144hz monitor?

Seems it problematic through NVIDIA Control Panel but is there a way around it?

holygeesus

Banned
Sorry I've done a search, so apologies if this has come up, but when using DSR in the Nvidia control panel, should one leave the smoothness setting at default, or is there a better setting? I'd prefer to apply it globally, rather than change it per game, if possible.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Sorry I've done a search, so apologies if this has come up, but when using DSR in the Nvidia control panel, should one leave the smoothness setting at default, or is there a better setting? I'd prefer to apply it globally, rather than change it per game, if possible.

It really is sort of a preference thing. Don't go full 100%, don't go 0%. 100 looks like a blur filter, 0 looks like a sharpening filter.

Personally I feel like 33% can apply a little too much blur so I like to lower it a bit to about 28%, but it's in no way objectively better or anything.

I find that 15% smoothness plus some form of post process AA (FXAA or SMAA) produces a very sharp image. It all comes down to personal preference though.

holygeesus

Banned
Thanks for that. I've gone for 22% as a baseline. I'm playing on a 50" plasma, so I probably need a little more sharpness than those gaming on spangly monitors.

Only now finding about this (noob here) and just have a few questions....

Currently using a 770 but just bought a 970 so I'm looking at downsampling for some older games as I'm pretty sure downsampling will kill my performance on recent games like Witcher 3!

Anyway I have a 27" 1080p monitor hooked up via hdmi but also I use my 1080p 42" TV when I want some couch gaming (Currently doing this now with the Witcher 3).

Now my question is does downsampling work with TV's over HDMI or can this only be done with Monitors?

I have no clue how this stuff works so treat me as a complete newbie haha.

Skelter

Banned
So, I want to downsample Dota 2 but the problem is when I do the mouse is inaccurate. When I mouse over an say an ability it doesn't look like I'm hovering over it. It's annoying as hell. I have to move to the right in order for me to mouse over something. It's weird as hell. Can anyone tell me why that is?

I've managed to downsample Witcher 3 and it's just fine but not Dota.

So, I want to downsample Dota 2 but the problem is when I do the mouse is inaccurate. When I mouse over an say an ability it doesn't look like I'm hovering over it. It's annoying as hell. I have to move to the right in order for me to mouse over something. It's weird as hell. Can anyone tell me why that is?

I've managed to downsample Witcher 3 and it's just fine but not Dota.

I'm just dabbling in this now and I've tried to downsample Witcher 3 and the entire screen is just zoomed in. Like the aspect ratio is wrong or something? Do you know what I'm not doing right?

CHC

Does DSR eliminate the need to change resolution before setting borderless windowed mode, or will I still need to do that? Also, can I exceed resolutions normally possible on my monitor with it? Setting a custom 4k res results in a black screen, but can I do it via DSR?

Thanks.

Skelter

Banned
I'm just dabbling in this now and I've tried to downsample Witcher 3 and the entire screen is just zoomed in. Like the aspect ratio is wrong or something? Do you know what I'm not doing right?

For me it helped to switched the game back to my monitor's native res then to the custom res.

Top Bottom