• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Downsampling, a simple method for making your pc-games look better.

I bought a displayport cable because I thought that I could set higher resolutions with it, but it doesn't work. I have a LG 29EB73-P with a native resolution of 2560x1080. 3200x1350 @60Hz is as far as I can go, everything over it doesn't work.

I thought displayport supports 4K @60hz? I would like to set 3840x1620 @60hz.

Could just be a limitation in general.

Although the U2711's are infamous when it comes to downsampling, I can't go 4K > 2560*1440 @ 60Hz but have to drop it to 30Hz instead - whether it's DP/DVI.

When I put my Dell U2311H to 2560x1440, I get a really unsharp output :/ What could cause this?

I have a Dell U2711 and this happens to me. If both monitors have similar menu settings then changing Wide Mode in the Display section to 1:1 might fix it. Worth a try, it affects downsampling for me.

robgrab

I bought a displayport cable because I thought that I could set higher resolutions with it, but it doesn't work. I have a LG 29EB73-P with a native resolution of 2560x1080. 3200x1350 @60Hz is as far as I can go, everything over it doesn't work.

I have the same monitor and I can run 3840x1620 @60hz. Check this page for specific settings:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1351914/...ng-your-pc-games-look-better/80#post_19125971

You might also try using GeDoSaTo (Generic Down Sampling Tool). That will let you run that resolution and HIGHER without the performance hit you get from driver based downsampling. It's only compatible with a few games right now but the ones it does support are amazing.

RazzleDazzle

Neo Member
Great guide, will be using this in the near future.

Maybe it's my dumb brain, but I feel like it should be called upsampling and not downsampling? Hehe.

Faith

I have the same monitor and I can run 3840x1620 @60hz. Check this page for specific settings:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1351914/...ng-your-pc-games-look-better/80#post_19125971

You might also try using GeDoSaTo (Generic Down Sampling Tool). That will let you run that resolution and HIGHER without the performance hit you get from driver based downsampling. It's only compatible with a few games right now but the ones it does support are amazing.
Dude, you are my biggest hero ever! This actually worked (even via HDMI), fucking amazing!

Pachimari

Guys, if I downsample, will I be able to turn it off easily for games that can't run with it on?

Also, my displays can only go up to 1920x1080, so it'll be useless to me? Or will it give me better AA?

Levyne

Banned
Guys, if I downsample, will I be able to turn it off easily for games that can't run with it on?

Also, my displays can only go up to 1920x1080, so it'll be useless to me? Or will it give me better AA?

Yeah, whatever custom resolutions you set to downsample from will just become options in the display settings from whichever game you're running (Some exceptions like Lords of Shadow 2, I think, where you have to apply the new resolution at the desktop and then open the game.)

So if you don't want to downsample in the program, you'd just select 1920x1080 like you normally would.

Pachimari

So I can downsample to higher resolutions and play my games at let's say 1440p, even though my monitors only goes up to 1080p?

Pachimari

I have now downsampled to 1440p but can't go all the way up to 3840x2160, is that because of my monitor?

EDIT:
Oops, sorry for double-post.

Levyne

Banned
It could be. I'm not sure of the specifics what determines the limitations. Through the drivers I can only seem to downsample from 2880x1800 to 1920x1200 (my monitor). However, Durante's gedosato allows me to do 4k (3840x2400) with the games that supports.

Hawk269

It could be. I'm not sure of the specifics what determines the limitations. Through the drivers I can only seem to downsample from 2880x1800 to 1920x1200 (my monitor). However, Durante's gedosato allows me to do 4k (3840x2400) with the games that supports.

It is driver related as well. A while back, I was able to down sample from 3840x2160 no problem, then a few drivers later when I tried to do it again, it would not work. I rolled back to the old drivers and it worked. So it is driver related and they do tweaks to them and sometimes something gets wonky and won't allow it.

Pachimari

That's up to you and your PC.
If your PC and monitor can handle 4K at what you consider playable FPS, then why not go higher than 1440p? :)
Oh okay. Well, my computer can handle it but my monitor can't. Too bad.

I'm in the market for a 3rd monitor right now though, so maybe I should look for something a little better than what I have.

A monitor which can go above 1440p maybe.

Soi-Fong

Just tried this out with Bioshock Infinite, then adding SweetFX on top. Very nice.
Downsampled from 1440p to 1080p. Lovely lovely and I was able to stay at 60 as well.

uLS.png

Edit: One from Assetto Corsa. The UI gets fucked up though. It's supposed to be bottom center. lol

yLS.png

Anon67

Quick question about downsampling. Whenever I downsample from 1080p to 1440p, my games tend to darken by a good bit. I try to counter this by increasing the overall brightness in-game, though the overall image tends to worsen as I continue to increase the brightness. Does anyone here have a solution? My pc is hooked up to my 40 inch Tv via HDMI, and I'm using a NVIDIA GTX 660, for anyone who is wondering.

Ran Echelon

Neo Member

I did have had 4K @60hz through displayport working on my Dell u2311h with a 770.
However, I found that my screen was occasionally going black for a few seconds at a time, even when not downsampling. The fix was to delete all downsampling resolutions or just use DVI.

PaulLFC

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here but I can't get even the first resolution (2560x1440) to save.

I enter it as a custom resolution and press test, and it displays fine on my monitor, I get the dialog box asking if I want to save it, and that's where things go wrong.

Pressing save gave me a blank screen and my monitor telling me the resolution wasn't supported - pressing cancel doesn't allow me to save the resolution to use in-game.

I'm not sure what the issue is as it showed the resolution fine on the test, only stopped working when I tried to save it?

My monitor is a Dell U2414H, and my card is a GTX 460 (maybe this is the issue? The card is quite old, I'll be upgrading to a new PC with a 780 in the next couple of weeks so maybe I should try again then?)

Quick question about downsampling. Whenever I downsample from 1080p to 1440p, my games tend to darken by a good bit. I try to counter this by increasing the overall brightness in-game, though the overall image tends to worsen as I continue to increase the brightness. Does anyone here have a solution? My pc is hooked up to my 40 inch Tv via HDMI, and I'm using a NVIDIA GTX 660, for anyone who is wondering.
It's an issue with Nvidia drivers that I still can't believe hasn't been fixed or addressed yet. Basically, standard HDTV resolutions like 1080p are output using the limited RGB color range (16-235) when connected via HDMI. When you're changing the resolution to 1440p it's switching back to full RGB range (0-255) which is typically used by PC monitors. There's a setting in the control panel to change which RGB range you're using but it only affects video content.

The solutions: either connect your PC with a DVI cable, or use Durante's Nvidia RGB Full/limited range toggler. It's simple to use, just follow the steps on screen then change the black levels setting on your TV to match your selected RGB range. Your GPU will no longer switch back and forth between RGB ranges at different resolutions.

Anon67

It's an issue with Nvidia drivers that I still can't believe hasn't been fixed or addressed yet. Basically, standard HDTV resolutions like 1080p are output using the limited RGB color range (16-235) when connected via HDMI. When you're changing the resolution to 1440p it's switching back to full RGB range (0-255) which is typically used by PC monitors. There's a setting in the control panel to change which RGB range you're using but it only affects video content.

The solutions: either connect your PC with a DVI cable, or use Durante's Nvidia RGB Full/limited range toggler. It's simple to use, just follow the steps on screen then change the black levels setting on your TV to match your selected RGB range. Your GPU will no longer switch back and forth between RGB ranges at different resolutions.

Thanks for the response. Looks like I'll use Durante's tool to fix this problem. I appreciate the help, thank you.

Thanks for this. I've experienced this too. It helped get Dark Souls II to appear closer to its initial showing though :p

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone can clarify something on this.

I have added 2560x1440 and 3200x1800 in the NVIDIA Control Panel section for the resolutions but if I have my display resolution set at 1920x1080, does that effect it when I enable the higher resolutions in game?

So say I have my resolution set to 1920x1080 and then launch a game and set the in-game resolution to 3200x1800. Does it still downsample or do I need to set my desktop resolution to 3200x1800 before launching the game?

Thorgal

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone can clarify something on this.

I have added 2560x1440 and 3200x1800 in the NVIDIA Control Panel section for the resolutions but if I have my display resolution set at 1920x1080, does that effect it when I enable the higher resolutions in game?

So say I have my resolution set to 1920x1080 and then launch a game and set the in-game resolution to 3200x1800. Does it still downsample or do I need to set my desktop resolution to 3200x1800 before launching the game?

No .just changing the ingame resolutions will downsample the image .

The only reason you want to change your desktop resolution is when you want to downsample a game that does not allow the resolution to go any higher then 1080p.

Levyne

Banned
Some games for some reason you had to (or used to) have to set the desktop resolution before opening the game. Lords of Shadow 2 was one. Very rare though.

Leatherface

Lifesaver. Thanks!

Dries

I find this interesting. Still want to know:

1. To all people that apply downsampling: Do you use it in all of your games?

2. Is it better to have no "normal ingame" AA options enabled, while still downsampling to the max? Or is it better that all of the ingame AA is maxed out first and then AFTER that see how far you can downsample?

3. Will this make my GPU run hotter? Basically, is it dangerous for any part of my PC?

4. Would OC'ing my GPU be beneficial?

5. How does downsampling rate in the "OCD forever tweaking" field? Can you basically tweak endlessy forever to get it running at an acceptable fps or are there just hard boundaries where either you can make it fps-wise, or you just can't.

6. Do you apply one resolution for all of your games or does every game have their own custom resolution?

7. Would it be that by downsampling The Witcher 2 I could get it to look better than The Witcher 3 (theoretically wise)?

8. Could you downsample a game like The Witcher 3 at launch or would that just melt our computer?

I'm kind of wondering the technical reason that a monitor won't allow certain virtual resolutions, since it seems all the work is being done on the GPU?

I_D

I find this interesting. Still want to know:

1. To all people that apply downsampling: Do you use it in all of your games?
---Yeah, pretty much. Everything except the games that can't handle it or I can't run at playable framerates.

2. Is it better to have no "normal ingame" AA options enabled, while still downsampling to the max? Or is it better that all of the ingame AA is maxed out first and then AFTER that see how far you can downsample?
---That depends on the options. I like to downsample first, then apply levels of AA until the framerate can't handle it. Other things like post-processing AA usually look bad downsampled, imo.

3. Will this make my GPU run hotter? Basically, is it dangerous for any part of my PC?
---It'll definitely be more demanding than not using it, so it will run hotter. It shouldn't be dangerous, though.

4. Would OC'ing my GPU be beneficial?
---Yeah, but it wouldn't make too big of a difference.

5. How does downsampling rate in the "OCD forever tweaking" field? Can you basically tweak endlessy forever to get it running at an acceptable fps or are there just hard boundaries where either you can make it fps-wise, or you just can't.
---The barrier is easily noticeable. You're jumping in resolution by large percentages, and your framerate will be hit accordingly.

6. Do you apply one resolution for all of your games or does every game have their own custom resolution?
---I use presets, then customize each game. Older games are very easy to run on modern hardware, and look amazing at high resolutions.

7. Would it be that by downsampling The Witcher 2 I could get it to look better than The Witcher 3 (theoretically wise)?
---Depends on what you mean by "look better." If you mean IQ at the same framerate, then probably. If you mean more particles, better shadows, etc., then no.

8. Could you downsample a game like The Witcher 3 at launch or would that just melt our computer?
---If you have a strong enough computer you can downsample pretty much everything for the next few years. Even my gtx670 can downsample Star Citizen from 4k smoothly enough to get bullshots without suffering through a slideshow; roughly 10fps or so.

Now, as for my question. I've seen a lot of people ask it, but it's hard to pinpoint an answer.
The most limiting factors are the monitor and the connecting cable, correct?
My computer and monitor can display 3840x2160 just fine, but can't do anything higher, no matter how many different timings I try. I'm connected via DVI.
Would I have better luck with a different connection, like HDMI? Do I need a different monitor?
And also, are native-1440p+ monitors reliable for downsampling? Is there a way to tell which monitors are better than others?

Does anyone have any tips on downsampling Borderlands 2? Free to play on Steam right now!
Just follow the steps in the OP? Borderlands 2 doesn't require any specific settings, just pick your custom resolution in-game. I like to combine 2560x1440 with the in-game FXAA.

Pakoe

Okay so i finally got 4k working thanks to an old samsung syncmaster monitor my brother doesn't use anymore, but the new resolutions don't show up in game.
The OP states this is because the Hz is too high, but how can this be changed?

Okay, the original question made it seem like i didn't try anything lol.
iwt0XChhlVOSn.png

The red and green numbers don't seem to change the numbers in the black square, or is that not the way how it works?

Widge

Adding my voice to the "has anyone" pool. Anyone tried Mass Effect 1?

I've just put the latest texture mods in and fancy playing through at as high an image quality as possible. Assuming that, being an early gen game, my 660 could beast it.

CAVEAT:

I play on a standard LCD TV. Philips 9632.

Dries

What is the difference between GeDoSaTo and downsampling? Those one have the preference over the other?

Dries

Does anyone have any experience downsampling Thief (2014)? SSAA is an in-game AA options, but perhaps downsampling would also increase texture sharpness.

Does anyone have any experience downsampling Thief (2014)? SSAA is an in-game AA options, but perhaps downsampling would also increase texture sharpness.

It looks a little better at 4K but not worth the performance hit. Benchmark on max at 1920x1080 is 60, 3840x2160 was about 25.

Top Bottom