• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drag-on Dragoon 3 (Drakengard 3) announced for PS3 [Details in OP]

Myriadis

I loved Nier, and if there's any chance that the team from Nier works on the game, I'm definitely interested. Haven't played Drakengard yet, how are both games actually?

cj_iwakura

Yeah, it's entirely possible they got the Nier team doing it, even if Cavia was dissolved.

Let's hope anyway. After the positive reception the game
's soundtrack
received, hopefully they plan to capitalize on it.

I heard that the second one is even worse.
Second game has better gameplay though its not amazing or anything. Its been awhile but I recall only certain chapters in Drakengard 1 allowing you to play as other characters but each character in Drakengard 2 has a large array of weapons and you can switch between them actively. On the first playthrough you can only access who is available according to the story but on subsequent playthroughs you can access everyone whenever regardless of story. You have to play the whole game through 3 times, I think, to get the final ending. Last I checked I was 2/3 the way through my third playthrough I believe.

Story wise it doesn't get quite as weird as the first game but its still got some awesomely strange characters.

EDIT: I didn't really get into but this announcement makes me want to give it another chance. Lord knows game loves it enough.

Ferr986

The bad news is that this means no Nier 2 :(

Never tried Drakengard games, but I know all the infamous stuff of the first part.

Emitan

What??? WOW!!!

Now this is an interesting Tuesday leak!!
I hope it's from the same guys that did Nier, one of the masterpieces of this generation.

Don't expect anything like Nier from the first two chapters though, you're just going to be disappointed.
I played the first one back then, it wasn't bad, but not even good. It was just... interesting I guess.

I heard that the second one is even worse.

I am expecting a game that actively trolls the player and is made by a crazy person.

Durante

unsure if excited.
I'm sure that I'm excited as FUCK.

Double the excitement if the Nier team (or at least parts of it) is on it.

They need to get whoever did Nier on the localization job. It's one of like 3 JRPG localizations I'd actually call good.

duckroll

Never tried Drakengard games, but I know all the infamous stuff of the first part.

Remember when Nier was announced, and everyone was like "shit this means no Drakengard 3 :(", well the cycle continues now!

Roubjon

I'm sure that I'm excited as FUCK.

Double the excitement if the Nier team (or at least parts of it) is on it.

They need to get whoever did Nier on the localization job. It's one of like 3 JRPG localizations I'd actually call good.

I think 8-4 did the localization for Nier, although I may be wrong.

Kouriozan

I got all the ending in Drakengard 1 & 2, it was super hard but at least I finished those games at 100%.
After Drakengard 2 I wanted more so I fell in love with Musou games.

Takao

Banned
Is this related to Legend of Dragoon on PSX?

No.

What does that mean? It seems to me that we now have the highest chance of it being localised.

SS is saying that because there's no 360 SKU it may show a lack of interest in bringing this game to the west. A 360 SKU is pretty common for Japanese games that target western audiences. However, I doubt Drakengard 3 is being positioned for the west, and few PS3 RPGs stay Japan-only. Heck, Kingdom Hearts is a bigger series internationally than in Japan, yet 1.5 HD Remix is PS3-only, and getting localized.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
No.

SS is saying that because there's no 360 SKU it may show a lack of interest in bringing this game to the west. A 360 SKU is pretty common for Japanese games that target western audiences. However, I doubt Drakengard 3 is being positioned for the west, and few PS3 RPGs stay Japan-only. Heck, Kingdom Hearts is a bigger series internationally than in Japan, yet 1.5 HD Remix is PS3-only, and getting localized.

PS3 isn't a dead platform like PSP; SE should have no issues bringing it over.

Second game has better gameplay though its not amazing or anything. Its been awhile but I recall only certain chapters in Drakengard 1 allowing you to play as other characters but each character in Drakengard 2 has a large array of weapons and you can switch between them actively. On the first players you can only access who is available according to the story but on subsequent playthroughs you can access everyone whenever regardless of story. You have to play the whole game through 3 times, I think, to get the final ending. Last I checked I was 2/3 the way through my third playthrough I believe.

Story wise it doesn't get quite as weird as the first game but its still got some awesomely strange characters.

Hmmm interesting... I might give it a try in the future then.

You never know, if this game sells millions (yeah, right...) S-E might decide to give the series a second chance, it's still better than nothing.
We have to know who's working on this before anything else though.

I am expecting a game that actively trolls the player and is made by a crazy person.

Cool stuff you can do in Drakengard:

- Fly around big levels (Ps2 big) with a dragon.
- Exterminate hordes of enemies while riding said dragon.
- Slaughter hordes of enemies with huge swords.
- "Where are the children? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"
- The story is quite the WTF for what I remember.

Again, nothing like Nier even in the trolling aspect, but still worth a try.

Soriku

SE probably realized they don't need the 360 for Western markets because the PS3 version will sell better anyway...

StuBurns

Banned
No 360 SKU doesn't mean anything to it's localization either way. They could port it in localization, or they could leave it exclusive like Ni no Kuni, it's not going to be a barrier for a Western release.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
But no Cavia? Regardless, never thought I would see this. More giant babies please.

Yesss. They have to go full-bore back into the deluge of messed up shit in the original. Pedophilia, necrophilia, incest, cannibalism, and a good dose of pan-dimensional voracious demon babies. The works. Dragoon 2 may have been a slightly better game, but it had none of the glorious dementia of the original. :)

Ridley327

I think 8-4 did the localization for Nier, although I may be wrong.

You're correct; I think John Riccardi even listed that as one of his examples of being a localization that they worked on where the developer gave them free reign on the script.

Durante

Zero is an Utautai - some sort of person with special powers. She has a flower growing in her right eye. She also has an artificial left arm. [...] the power of the player increases when exposed to blood splatter
I'm so sold on this.

However, I doubt Drakengard 3 is being positioned for the west, and few PS3 RPGs stay Japan-only.
Few? Are there even any? I guess the Tales ports.

Windam

Scaley member
Love Nier (and Drakengard 2's soundtrack), so hopefully some of the old Cavia team will be working on this.

Jarekx

I like the title Drag-on Dragoon more than Drakengard. I l probably would have tried the first two if it came out here with that name.

This reminds me I need to finish Nier. Then beat it a couple more times from what i've heard.

duckroll

No 360 SKU doesn't mean anything to it's localization either way. They could port it in localization, or they could leave it exclusive like Ni no Kuni, it's not going to be a barrier for a Western release.

No 360 SKU in Japan for any game at all basically means jack shit at this point. It's a non-platform in that region. It doesn't even mean the game isn't actually multiplatform.

Top Bottom