• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drag-on Dragoon 3 (Drakengard 3) announced for PS3 [Details in OP]

I hope the combat is an improved version of Drakengard 2 and not like Nier.

Please have awesome dragons again.

Get Yoshiki Aoi and Nobuyoshi Sano again for the music.
It's going to be Keiichi Okabe, isn't it

SE didn't even localize Drakengard 2. But they localized Nier... I'm having mixed feelings, but am leaning more on the hopeful side after the "success" of Nier.

Caelestis

This came out of nowhere. Just need a confirmation that Yoko Taro is involved and I am all ready to join the hype train!

No Cavia no deal.

Came in to say this. 0% excited unless Cavia is involved. They are the only reason to want to play Drakengard/Nier, not the title of the game.

[Major Nier Spoilers]
But Nier is Drakengard 3!

Well to be fair,
Nier is as much Drakengard 2 as Drakengard 2 is. Both a continuation from 1 from a different ending.

First game has shit gameplay/mechanics, but a surprisingly interesting grimdark story. (As well as full of many, many WTF?! moments.)

Second game has somewhat better gameplay, but a very stupid story and characters. Except Caim. He's boss as fuck in 2.

This is about the only good part of 2. Spoilers obviously. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqey0mQNttw

Yes I have it bookmarked, wanna fight about it? Also enjoy one of my Drakengard pics.

tYQZQ1y.jpg

Teknoman

5ycb3a.gif

I'd like to see Toriyama art in an HD game that isn't Snooze Dragon.

edit: Thinking about, it probably wouldn't be Toriyama if Cross was anything to go by.

I just want to see another actual RPG with Toriyama art that isnt Dragon Quest. Wasted opporunity with the Blue Dragon series either way...bunch of spin offs after that crazy new universe they set up with the cube worlds...

Soriku

I hope the combat is an improved version of Drakengard 2 and not like Nier.

Please have awesome dragons again.

Get Yoshiki Aoi and Nobuyoshi Sano again for the music.
It's going to be Keiichi Okabe, isn't it

SE didn't even localize Drakengard 2. But they localized Nier... I'm having mixed feelings, but am leaning more on the hopeful side after the "success" of Nier.

Son.

B.K.

I hope the character designs are more like the first game, instead of 2's colorful, generic anime designs.

Jawmuncher

The Let's Play was pretty fun!

Yes.
Their affiliation with NieR.

Nier's an indirect sequel, and if they make something remotely similar to it then it's cause for cautious excitement.

They are great and unique games?

Ok thanks for letting me know.
I only played a bit of one and watched some of 2.
I did however play NiER and i'm assuming thats the biggest news here, since it might be similar in some ways. Especially if as you all are saying it was in itself a sequel to drakengard.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Holy Shit.

But no mention of dragons.

LoV Caim as bonus character pls.

Uh yeah I love Drakengard but D2 wasn't my thing for whatever reason.

cj_iwakura

Both Drag-on Dragoon games sold over 200k each in Japan, and they were both released in English. Umihara is a super niche game which no one cares about. Dude, please.

I kept hearing a lot of positive buzz about it, which is more than I can say for Drakengard.

duckroll

I kept hearing a lot of positive buzz about it, which is more than I can say for Drakengard.

I think you should stop talking nonsense and leave this thread if you have no interest in talking about the game in question, and just want to continue vomiting from your mouth.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'm interested in hearing more, wouldn't be surprised if AQI is working on this but I would be if Yoko Taro is.

Dragoshi1

Drakengard 3!?

AW YEAH.

Loved the first and second one, beat both multiple times. I hope previous characters show up somehow in this one.

I love Nier. Anyway, Drakengard's story was off the rails insane, it's the gameplay I heard was questionable. Nier had enjoyable gameplay to match.

I just don't think I've ever seen a Nier thread on any board that didn't have some positive buzz about Drakengard, while admitting that the gameplay wasn't the selling point.

duckroll

I'm interested in hearing more, wouldn't be surprised if AQI is working on this but I would be if Yoko Taro is.

It's worth noting that Yoko Taro is a story supervisor on the new Drag-on Dragoon manga which was mentioned earlier in the thread (which appears to tie into the new game since the main character is One, the younger sister of Zero who is the main character here). That doesn't confirm that he's working on this game, but it would be a bit odd if he wasn't.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Apparently Cavia were merged into Marvelous AQL, if what I hear is true?

Cavia, Artoon, and feelplus were all consolidated into AQI before the merger with Marvelous.

It's worth noting that Yoko Taro is a story supervisor on the new Drag-on Dragoon manga which was mentioned earlier in the thread (which appears to tie into the new game since the main character is One, the younger sister of Zero who is the main character here). That doesn't confirm that he's working on this game, but it would be a bit odd if he wasn't.

Oh that's interesting. This is turning into something to look forward to.

synce

These days it always surprises me when there's a game announced with a female lead. It's almost always from a Japanese publisher too. Go Japan :)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't think anyone could have seen this coming. Of all the franchises to resurrect. This would be like Konami announcing that a sequel to OZ aka Sword of Etheria is being released. Haha

Ridley327

Apparently Cavia were merged into Marvelous AQL, if what I hear is true?

It's true; Marvelous wound up owning Artoon, Feel Plus, and Cavia as the result of their merger with AQI, and realized that it was cheaper to have one big studio rather than three smaller ones, so they consolidated all three and made them AQL.

MechaX

I just don't think I've ever seen a Nier thread on any board that didn't have some positive buzz about Drakengard, while admitting that the gameplay wasn't the selling point.

Drakengard was not a good game, but it was memorable. It's story should be experienced in some fashion. Although, if one can just read the LP, I would suggest doing that as opposed to actually slogging through the game. For people back in like 2003, we didn't have much of a choice.

cj_iwakura

It's true; Marvelous wound up owning Artoon, Feel Plus, and Cavia as the result of their merger with AQI, and realized that it was cheaper to have one big studio rather than three smaller ones, so they consolidated all three and made them AQL.

Then odds of their staff being on this sound bleak.

doemaaan

Never really understood the affection behind Nier and Drakengard... Haven't played the latter, but at least with Nier, the soundtrack was awesome (?).

Ridley327

Then odds of their staff being on this sound bleak.

Although unlikely, I don't think it's impossible; Marvelous AQL does contract work for other publishers, like Nintendo (The Last Story, in cooperation with Mistwalker), Sony (Soul Sacrifice, with Comcept), and, perhaps something quite relevant to the topic, Square-Enix (the Wii Fortune Street).

Mature

Oh my gosh oh my gosh. Pleeeaase.

Top Bottom