• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drag-on Dragoon 3 (Drakengard 3) announced for PS3 [Details in OP]

Lautrec

Yoko Taro is a freelance and Yosuke Saito ended with the development of Dragon Quest X. IT'S POSSIBLE.

And if Okabe do the music I can die

Shouta

Drakengard 1/2 weren't particularly hot but Nier was pretty good, so let's hope it's like the latter and and not like the former, even if it has the former's name.

Shinta

Banned
Nier is the posterchild for "greater than the sum of its parts".

eh, kind of. Even split apart, it's all pretty fantastic. The music stands alone and emotionally impacts lots of people who haven't played the game. The gameplay is solid, switching between 3D, 2D and shmup stuff with lots of good spells. The characters and story stand alone as impactful, regardless of the gameplay (one level is literally just text with no gameplay, and it still works well).

Really the only thing is that the game doesn't have absolutely cutting edge graphics. The rest is all AAA, as a whole, or individually.

duckroll

Yoko Taro is a freelance and Yosuke Saito ended with the development of Dragon Quest X. IT'S POSSIBLE.

And if Okabe do the music I can die

Yoko Taro has also worked closely with S-E recently. He is the co-director for Demon's Score iirc, and also worked on some of their social games.

wrowa

This wins the cake for the most unexpected announcement in a long time. What a random franchise to suddey resurect. Fantastic news though, this is exactly the kind of RPG I missed. Not exactly A-tier but without the moe fluff seen in so many other b-tier RPGs.

However, could this be the UE3 game SE has teased a year ago?

Emitan

eh, kind of. Even split apart, it's all pretty fantastic. The music stands alone and emotionally impacts lots of people who haven't played the game. The gameplay is solid, switching between 3D, 2D and shmup stuff with lots of good spells. The characters and story stand alone as impactful, regardless of the gameplay (one level is literally just text with no gameplay, and it still works well).

Really the only thing is that the game doesn't have absolutely cutting edge graphics. The rest is all AAA, as a whole, or individually.

Well I love basically everything about it but I wasn't sure if other people agreed. I can totally understand someone not being a big fan of the gameplay but still loving it.

Okay, I lied. I'm getting hyped imagining how this will tie into
Nier. If we get to fight Legion, I will hyperventilate.

jorgeton

The fact it isn't a browser game is a miracle unto itself. I hope they keep the original's dynasty warriors-meets-panzer dragoon mojo. And incredibly fucked up story. And god tier soundtrack. Damn it I'm pretty hyped.

Ridley327

Square Enix Ganagan site says Yoko Taro is supervisor for the Drag-On Dragoon manga.

So perhaps he is involved with DOD3 after all? http://www.square-enix.co.jp/magazine/yg/introduction/

Yeah, he recently worked on Monster×Dragon.

I would be pretty surprised at this point if Taro wasn't involved with this at all. If they went as far as to get him for the manga, then it seems pretty clear to me that Squenix values his involvement.

Shinta

Banned
The fact it isn't a browser game is a miracle unto itself. I hope they keep the original's dynasty warriors-meets-panzer dragoon mojo. And incredibly fucked up story. And god tier soundtrack. Damn it I'm pretty hyped.

Well one of the characters can use their singing power when they bathe in blood supposedly. I'm pretty sure it's going to be fucked up. :D

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
NieR is just Drakengard 2B, spanning off an alternate ending in Drakengard 1 (Drakengard 2 goes off a different ending). So yeah, I'm sure you'll probably still like it.

It says it's all ground combat too.

I want the Nier characters to return though :/

Kyoufu

I'm a little sad that Drakengard 3 is somehow going to release before Valkyrie Profile 3, which is looking very unlikely now.

Still, I look forward to this!

Ridley327

I'm a little sad that Drakengard 3 is somehow going to release before Valkyrie Profile 3, which is looking very unlikely now.

Still, I look forward to this!

Poor tri-Ace; they're probably doomed to being a FF workhorse from now on. :(

Not that it isn't undue punishment for Star Ocean 4, but still.

What if tri-Ace is working on this?

DnPRa.gif

duckroll

I don't know how I'd feel about that. True neutrality, I suppose?

Are we fairly certain that they're working on LR:FFXIII right now?

They employ over a hundred people and they're still recruiting fresh staff each year. They have to be working on more than one thing at any given time.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
And that "if" is still the thing stopping me from getting excited about this.

As duckroll already mentioned though he's supervising the story to the manga that appears to have ties to this game. It would be odd if he had nothing to do with the game.

Ridley327

They employ over a hundred people and they're still recruiting fresh staff each year. They have to be working on more than one thing at any given time.

Like Kagari said, as long as they have no input on the story, I'd be down. I would prefer them to reach out to Marvelous AQL just for the staff reunion, but if Taro is involved, that would make me approximately 75% less worried for the game.

Takao

Banned
Thinking about it, it's probably MarvelousAQL making this. SE Japan put everything on hold to fix A Realm Reborn, right? That thing isn't out yet, and I suspect Drakengard isn't exactly a high priority for the company.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Thinking about it, it's probably MarvelousAQL making this. SE Japan put everything on hold to fix A Realm Reborn, right? That thing isn't out yet, and I suspect Drakengard isn't exactly a high priority for the company.

ARR is basically done now.

Well that came out of nowhere. I really had gotten the impression that the Drakengard franchise was done and dusted by now. Always been hugely curious about the first game, due to how twisted people say it is, but the fact that it's bogged down by average gameplay put me off.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So long as Yoko Taro and his writing staff cohorts are back, I am super-psyched about this.

Hell... I'm slightly stunned that this is happening.

As duckroll already mentioned though he's supervising the story to the manga that appears to have ties to this game. It would be odd if he had nothing to do with the game.

Still not going to let myself get too excited before it is for sure.

Don't worry bro, wasn't really a spoiler, or fully truthful, but explaining why it isn't would be. Was more of a joke to just picture Caim continuing to kill forever.

Nier and drakengard 2 were both shit, color me pessimistic about this.

Please go.

Top Bottom