• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drag-on Dragoon 3 (Drakengard 3) announced for PS3 [Details in OP]

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Maybe SE is reviving their old franchises? I don't care about Drakengard much, but some Chrono or Mana would make me a happy panda.

A brand new Chrono for 3DS? Count me the hell in! :D

Good announcement for PS3. Since the gameplay mechanics partially reminds of various Musou games if I understand correctly, I'd say PS3 is the right choice for this game. :)

StuBurns

Banned
You're correct; I think John Riccardi even listed that as one of his examples of being a localization that they worked on where the developer gave them free reign on the script.
Yeah, they were heavily involved with casting and VO direction too I believe. But I think it was actually mostly handled by a guy who either isn't there anymore, or was subcontracting anyway. And he wrote a book after I think? Something like that. No idea if they can get him back or not, but they should.

RPGCrazied

Are the first 2 worth playing? Never really had the chance to play it. But I wanted to, cause I'm a sucker for dragons.

Mario007

I'm afraid I haven't followed this franchise or Nier close enough, so can someone explain to me why people are discussing Nier's sales when it comes to Drakengard 3?

Ultratech

Don't expect anything like Nier from the first two chapters though, you're just going to be disappointed.
I played the first one back then, it wasn't bad, but not even good. It was just... interesting I guess.

I heard that the second one is even worse.

First game has shit gameplay/mechanics, but a surprisingly interesting grimdark story. (As well as full of many, many WTF?! moments.)

Second game has somewhat better gameplay, but a very stupid story and characters. Except Caim. He's boss as fuck in 2.

Windam

Scaley member
I like the title Drag-on Dragoon more than Drakengard. I l probably would have tried the first two if it came out here with that name.

This reminds me I need to finish Nier. Then beat it a couple more times from what i've heard.

On your NG+'s you start halfway through the game. And if you get the Phoenix Spear... It won't take you long at all as you'll be demolishing everything.

Zeal

Banned
I'll take what I can get. The chances of Nier 2 being announced at this point are akin to Square rehiring Sakaguchi and starting development on Chrono Trigger II.

RPGCrazied

No, not really. They're only really worth it for the bashit insane stories. Nier, on the other hand, YES. It has decent-to-good gameplay and an amazing story and soundtrack.

I know Nier. I loved that game, specially the music. I will check it out, only if they produce an HD set. I guess if 3 sells well they will.

Squire

Banned
No 360 SKU in Japan for any game at all basically means jack shit at this point. It's a non-platform in that region. It doesn't even mean the game isn't actually multiplatform.

Could easily be a 360 SKU for the west that we don't know about because it hasn't been announced for the west yet.

Takao

Banned
PSP isn't dead either.

5ycb3a.gif

A brand new Chrono for 3DS? Count me the hell in! :D

I'd like to see Toriyama art in an HD game that isn't Snooze Dragon.

edit: Thinking about, it probably wouldn't be Toriyama if Cross was anything to go by.

PSP isn't dead either. If Aksys and NISA can afford it, a comparatively massive company like Square can too.

Are you really comparing the PS3 and PSP situations? Square has already announced that they're bringing over the KH 1.5 for the PS3 while they don't even want to touch a new Final Fantasy game (Type-0) for the PSP. That should tell you a lot.

StuBurns

Banned
PSP isn't dead either. If Aksys and NISA can afford it, a comparatively massive company like Square can too.
It's too small time for SE, they can afford to, but more comfortably they can afford not to, and then have not wasted a significant game on an insignificant platform.

Soriku

Are you really comparing the PS3 and PSP situations? Square has already announced that they're bringing over the KH 1.5 for the PS3 while they don't even want to touch a new Final Fantasy game (Type-0) for the PSP. That should tell you a lot.

Make Type-0 for PS3 already.

Fuck Sony policies.

MechaX

PleasepleasepleasePLEASE let this new main character essentially be female Caim. There was a random weapon story in Drakengard 1 about a psychotic princess and a male dragon, and boy, did I wish that was what Drakengard 2 was.

RPGCrazied

Me too, and in that aspect it rocks (the first at least)! Get it!

You have a Deadly Premonition avatar, therefore you are to be trusted!
Thanks for the hint I'll definitely try it!

How do they play in PCSX2? I don't play my PS2 anymore, cause I have an HD set, and all the games look like ass on it. lol

Wilsongt

Well, that came out of left field.

Good show, Square-Enix. This is how you're suppose to do it. Not an announcement of an announcement of a countdown website that has an announcement.

Dwingvatt

Banned
No 360 SKU in Japan for any game at all basically means jack shit at this point. It's a non-platform in that region. It doesn't even mean the game isn't actually multiplatform.

I don't see it happening considering Square Enix didn't announce a Kingdom Hearts HD collection for the 360 in the west.

Pooya

It's probably coming out this year, considering SE's short time between announce-release these days, one can hope.

:O

Just spent the day at Disney with my wife and we are unwinding back at the hotel. Much to her disapproval I yelled, "Yes!" about this bit of news. So cool!

Taruranto

I don't understand the excitement here.
Did I miss something about Drakengard 1 and 2?

The Let's Play was pretty fun!

Jun Iwasaki, president and chief executive officer of Square-Enix USA, described Drakengard as a "perfect hybrid of genres" due to its blend of action, character growth influenced by role-playing games, and a "solid story that binds it all together". According to him, the game is intended to appeal to gamers looking for a "deeper action game".

Jun Iwasaki is a fucking idiot. Drakengard is a terrible game -- absolutely awful. It isn't fun. At all. There is no fun to be found here. Look elsewhere for fun. It is a muddy hybrid of a half-assed Dynasty Warriors clone meets a poor man's knock off of Panzer Dragoon coupled with an unbearably dull grind fest.

Also, apparently Cavia learned how to develop a game with Nier so this makes Drag-a-Turd awesome, i guess.

Top Bottom