• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen PS4/XB1 |OT| They're master ports all, you can't go wrong

edukate

Ranger Pro tip: after you initiate the Deathly/ Dire Arrow (first button press), press the button the second time and release the arrow as soon as the meter fills to deliver a FUCKTON amount of damage. You’ll know you did it right cuz it will literally kick in a bullet-time effect.

Man, this game never ceases to amaze me.

Laiza

WHAT IN THE FUCK

I've never seen that before

omg

oh wait it's the mmo :(
Honestly, Dragon's Dogma Online is probably the closest thing we're ever gonna get to a full-on direct sequel to Dragon's Dogma. Entirely new storyline, tons and tons of new gear, completely new world with no relation to the first game's, loads of new monsters with unique monster types that never showed up in the original, great new music, a bunch of features that folks wanted for DD2 (including better inventory management, appearance slots to override gear with, obviously coop play), two whole new classes, etc.... only thing it's really missing is a graphical upgrade, and a lot of that is down to the game being built to support the PS3 and the way they reused a bunch of assets from the original game.

At this point I'm just hoping Capcom doesn't pull a SEGA and will eventually port the game over to the West. Unlike PSO2 it's not locked down by a copyright quagmire with boatloads of collaboration outfits and weapons, though on the other hand, it does boast more unique voice work than almost any game I can think of. That's probably the biggest contributor to why it hasn't been brought over here. (For reference, in addition to pawns having all those unique voice lines, the Arisen now have access to voiced commands as well, with each individual player voice option (and there are dozens at this point) having something on the order of a hundred voiced commands.)

And now I've made myself sad. I really want to play the game more, but the language barrier... hoo, boy. It really does get in the way of my fun. Wish Capcom would get on the ball with this one.

Meowster

I’m really confused by how some of these scrubs (namely archers) are able to kill me in two or three hits but the boss can go down in a hit or two. Lmao. I guess it ain’t that bad but I’m wondering if I’m screwing up somehow or if the bosses are just that much easier?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I won't argue about what's effective or not in terms of RC gathering, lol, but ewwww that kind of look. I personally wouldn't want to hire a pawn using that kind of look unless there's absolutely no other pawn that I can choose, haha,
*fist-bump*

Will this game satiate my berserk needs? Can I goto town with a MASSIVE two handed sword?
Yes, you can be generic Guts cosplayer #546547 if you want

Kitbash

Anyone else can't go online? The game always launched in offline mode. Can't hire pawns from the friend's list.

If you're still having this problem, double-check your gameplay options. At one point the game randomly decided to change my Connectivity setting to Offline.

Ferr986

I seriously cannot state just how much I love the post game for Dragons Dogma.

Everything from the
repercussions for the story, the visible differences, the decision to upgrade the power and increase the frequency of encounters in the open world, the board quests to incentivize returning to old areas, the inclusion of several new enemies, the Everfall, even the damn skybox:

Is just fantastic to me. I know DD gets a lot of deserved criticism for it's story and voice acting, but I've always felt that regardless of the rather mediocre approach to these parts of the game, it ends up doing a really good job contrasting just how off the rails the story gets for the post game.

I hate that skybox, gets old really fast. I wish the sky glitch was easier to do...

At this point I'm just hoping Capcom doesn't pull a SEGA and will eventually port the game over to the West. Unlike PSO2 it's not locked down by a copyright quagmire with boatloads of collaboration outfits and weapons, though on the other hand, it does boast more unique voice work than almost any game I can think of. That's probably the biggest contributor to why it hasn't been brought over here. (For reference, in addition to pawns having all those unique voice lines, the Arisen now have access to voiced commands as well, with each individual player voice option (and there are dozens at this point) having something on the order of a hundred voiced commands.)

And now I've made myself sad. I really want to play the game more, but the language barrier... hoo, boy. It really does get in the way of my fun. Wish Capcom would get on the ball with this one.

They're already doing a SEGA though. DDO it's not going to come here after all this time.

So on PC I went Strider to 10 then Assassin to around mid-90's before my hard drive failed and I had a lot of fun. But now I'm tempted to go Fighter to 10 for Max strength and Sinew but will Daggers still be viable or will I essentially be locked into swords? I much prefered daggers. Or is it possible to double dip before level 10 and get Sinew on Fighter then switch to Strider for some Dagger and Bow skills or is there not enough skill points to do all that before 10?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So on PC I went Strider to 10 then Assassin to around mid-90's before my hard drive failed and I had a lot of fun. But now I'm tempted to go Fighter to 10 for Max strength and Sinew but will Daggers still be viable or will I essentially be locked into swords? I much prefered daggers. Or is it possible to double dip before level 10 and get Sinew on Fighter then switch to Strider for some Dagger and Bow skills or is there not enough skill points to do all that before 10?

The only really possible way that I can think of to do it is to hire pawns with much higher level than you at the beginning (say level 200) so that your XP gain will be pressed down but even so I am not so sure it is possible since Sinew is at class level 5 and I am more inclined to believe that it is impossible to get it at or before character level 10.

Don't worry too much about that though, my man, Fighter's stat growth complements Strider/Ranger/Assassin well and by playing normally you can get it by the time you arrive at Gran Soren which will be super early and then you can just switch to dagger wielding class by then. Even if you go for Vehemence at 9 (which is the only real point of upgrading Fighter if all you want is its physical boosting augments) which in turn will make you switch at a later time, the stats gained by the time you switch will be more than fantastic for you to make a switch to Strider/Ranger/Assassin (and really, these classes really need the Defense growth Fighter offers anyways)

Audioboxer

I won't argue about what's effective or not in terms of RC gathering, lol, but ewwww that kind of look. I personally wouldn't want to hire a pawn using that kind of look unless there's absolutely no other pawn that I can choose, haha,

The princess Peach Mario dress is worse. Welcome to gaming though, lots of guys wanting to go after pawns in skimpy clothing.

Need that RC for the inevitable bitterblack level 3 grind.

Speaking of Bitterblack isle, I took a mage and a sorcerer along with my sorcerer and me as an assassin. Was pretty damn effective seeing two sorcerers tear everything up. Some big black dogs were randomly spawning which were quite tough. The chained up goreclops or whatever it's called was also a pain. The sorcerers big twister spell in that room was LOL. Completely blanked out my screen and I couldn't see anything.

I made it up to the first boss (big eye thing) and then died. Maybe level 50 is a bit low for the boss. Or I might need a tank at that "low" a level.

By the way does Death respawn again? The place it popped up when I was doing low level BBI loot death runs it won't appear in again. I obviously ran past it when I was like level 10.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So what's the tip on bringing down a Cursed Dragon?

Explosive Rivet/Volley works like a charm.

The princess Peach Mario dress is worse. Welcome to gaming though, lots of guys wanting to go after pawns in skimpy clothing.

Speaking of Bitterblack isle, I took a mage and a sorcerer along with my sorcerer and me as an assassin. Was pretty damn effective seeing two sorcerers tear everything up. Some big black dogs were randomly spawning which were quite tough. The chained up goreclops or whatever it's called was also a pain. The sorcerers big twister spell in that room was LOL. Completely blanked out my screen and I couldn't see anything.

I made it up to the first boss (big eye thing) and then died. Maybe level 50 is a bit low for the boss. Or I might need a tank at that "low" a level.

By the way does Death respawn again? The place it popped up when I was doing low level BBI loot death runs it won't appear in again. I obviously ran past it when I was like level 10.

Haha yes on the flip side of the equation the princess' costume is also too gaudy. I am making it a point not to hire pawns wearing that as well, can't stand it lol.

As for Death, yes he will always respawn, even should you manage to 'kill' it.

Audioboxer

Explosive Rivet/Volley works like a charm.

Haha yes on the flip side of the equation the princess' costume is also too gaudy. I am making it a point not to hire pawns wearing that as well, can't stand it lol.

As for Death, yes he will always respawn, even should you manage to 'kill' it.

In the same room or somewhere else? It won't reappear in that early room for me. Not that I would think I could defeat it right now at my current level. Playing on normal.

I might look up some tips for the big eye as I was enjoying actually killing things in BBI. Even if I go back to post game right now and finish the everfall I doubt it'll hand out as much experience as BBI does. I'll need to KILL UrDragon at some point though as I can't actually remember if I killed it on the PS3 copy. I think I did it once offline.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
In the same room or somewhere else? It won't reappear in that early room for me. Not that I would think I could defeat it right now at my current level. Playing on normal.

I might look up some tips for the big eye as I was enjoying actually killing things in BBI. Even if I go back to post game right now and finish the everfall I doubt it'll hand out as much experience as BBI does. I'll need to KILL UrDragon at some point though as I can't actually remember if I killed it on the PS3 copy. I think I did it once offline.

He can appear randomly at various different locations, though some are more likely than others.

Kuosi

The worst part is that the princess dress has ridiculously good stats, like way better than what you can get through the non-BBI part of the game, so everyone uses it

Audioboxer

The worst part is that the princess dress has ridiculously good stats, like way better than what you can get through the non-BBI part of the game, so everyone uses it

Yeah, that is understandable.

Early on its pretty much about fashion though as 4 okay pawns can walk most of the content fairly easily (just have the fire enchant spell). If you stick to the main path early on that is until you get some levels and skills behind you. Spend a little gold to upgrade your basic armours to 1 star and you'll be fine. As the game now gives everyone all the DLC from the start you can sell it all for lots of gold.

Charge off to the bandits castle at a low level and sure, you'll probably get wrecked. The princess Peach dress probably won't save you from that anyway.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'd rather play the game 'normally' anyways, through the main game first and then once properly powered up, start on BBI. That way I feel like I am getting much more value from the game (and building my armory for that 350 equipment trophy, haha)

jiggle

Nearing the end
Are ppl going into farming BBI/ever fall immediately ?
Or start new game+ right away to get all the bonuses?
I can't do ur dragon online without NG+ Ya?

Nearing the end
Are ppl going into farming BBI/ever fall immediately ?
Or start new game+ right away to get all the bonuses?

On the PS3 I did BBI once I'd beaten the last boss on NG+.

You have to
do part of the Everfall at least
before you finish the game. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can fight the online Ur-Dragon there.

people

Nearing the end

You can visit Online Ur-Dragon (almost) directly after reaching post-game Everfall, just make sure to set your Connectivity to 'Online'. In NG+ you can also access Online Ur-Dragon from a 'Riftstone' on the beach in Cassardis village.

Musiol

Hello guy. I want to share with you my pawn, so if someone want to use it, it'll be great (need these RCs for BBI stuff).

PSN ID - Musiol
Platform - PS4
Pawn Name - Bluszcz
Pawn Level - 68
Pawn Vocation - Warrior

2lwudhm.jpg

He's tall and weight more, so he's good for beign ox cart ;)

If someone send me friend request, add info about NeoGAF or just Dragon's Dogma, because I don't accept request without any info.

Audioboxer

I'd rather play the game 'normally' anyways, through the main game first and then once properly powered up, start on BBI. That way I feel like I am getting much more value from the game (and building my armory for that 350 equipment trophy, haha)

I did some "death runs" through BBI for early loot, but that's just a quirk of mine. I do it in the Souls series too. Dark Souls 2 with all the DLC was awesome for early level runs for a flynn ring rapier build. After a blind playthrough that is. As I said for DD I completed the vanilla game on PS3 pretty blind.

There's something satisfying to me at times achieving "broken game status" by legitimately obtaining items, armour or weapons you "shouldn't" really have early on. I think it's why I like open world games with good level design where the devs don't do annoying things like insane enemy level scaling. Oblivion was horrendous for that. Let us level up sewer rats to level 99 if you dare grind early on. As a side note I understand why in large open worlds devs try to introduce level scaling or loot scaling, but more often than not it annoys me a bit.

Obviously, taking down a boss when you're heavily underlevelled is itself a challenge in these kinds of games with its own reward too. I wouldn't say level 50 is hugely under level for the eye boss in BBI, but I am going to go back again and try a few more times without just succumbing to going and levelling a bit elsewhere.

I did some "death runs" through BBI for early loot, but that's just a quirk of mine. I do it in the Souls series too. Dark Souls 2 with all the DLC was awesome for early level runs for a flynn ring rapier build. After a blind playthrough that is. As I said for DD I completed the vanilla game on PS3 pretty blind.

There's something satisfying to me at times achieving "broken game status" by legitimately obtaining items, armour or weapons you "shouldn't" really have early on. I think it's why I like open world games with good level design where the devs don't do annoying things like insane enemy level scaling. Oblivion was horrendous for that. Let us level up sewer rats to level 99 if you dare grind early on. As a side note I understand why in large open worlds devs try to introduce level scaling or loot scaling, but more often than not it annoys me a bit.

Obviously, taking down a boss when you're heavily underlevelled is itself a challenge in these kinds of games with its own reward too. I wouldn't say level 50 is hugely under level for the eye boss in BBI, but I am going to go back again and try a few more times without just succumbing to going and levelling a bit elsewhere.
I defeated it at level 48. Pop conquer peripats

ZangBa

So is there a quick way to level? Because I'm like 59 and past the second big Boss of BBI and things are starting to get a little too real for me. Doesn't really help that I have outdated gear too but I haven't found anything useful yet.

So is there a quick way to level? Because I'm like 59 and past the second big Boss of BBI and things are starting to get a little too real for me. Doesn't really help that I have outdated gear too but I haven't found anything useful yet.
😂😂 I know the feeling. Getting one shot by everything is kinda annoying.

Have you been rarifying your gear by giving Barroch the necessary items? You can get early game armours to be pretty damn great if you gold rarify them. In terms of weapons, what class are you?

Have you finished the game yet? The weapon you get from beating
Grigori
should be good enough to get you through BBI. That's what I used if I remember correctly: the mace you get off you're a Mystic Knight.

I have been embarrassed.

This is what I get for switching my pawn to g-string armour in the pursuit of RC. My words and deeds shame me.
It took me a couple of attempts. Literally jump on the eyeball and don't get off. Make sure you heal because if you're playing on hard mode the tentacles hurt.

ZangBa

Have you been rarifying your gear by giving Barroch the necessary items? You can get early game armours to be pretty damn great if you gold rarify them. In terms of weapons, what class are you?

Have you finished the game yet? The weapon you get from beating
Grigori
should be good enough to get you through BBI. That's what I used if I remember correctly: the mace you get off you're a Mystic Knight.

I haven't rarified any gear yet, I don't have the materials for whatever I'm wearing. Also, I'm poor as hell, are these gold and silver rings and weapons safe to sell? I'm using an Assassin but I forget the sword, with a Fey something bow. I did kill
Grigori
, but as a Warrior. I didn't know my loot drops would be class based, woops.

I haven't rarified any gear yet, I don't have the materials for whatever I'm wearing. Also, I'm poor as hell, are these gold and silver rings and weapons safe to sell? I'm using an Assassin but I forget the sword, with a Fey something bow. I did kill
Grigori
, but as a Warrior. I didn't know my loot drops would be class based, woops.

If you can kill it, killing the offline Ur-Dragon and selling everything it drops is probably the best way to get a huge amount of gold, as you'll get over 1 million each run.

You can sell the gold weapons if you want, as you can buy them back from the forgery place in Gran Soren one you build money up, and they're not really that great to be honest.

Sorcerers get an augment called Suasion, which increases how much you still things for, and it can stack depending on how many in your party have it.

Laiza

They're already doing a SEGA though. DDO it's not going to come here after all this time.
People said that about Blade & Soul, too. I'm not giving up hope until the 5-year mark (which is where PSO2 is at now). We're only at year two, so...

Audioboxer

It took me a couple of attempts. Literally jump on the eyeball and don't get off. Make sure you heal because if you're playing on hard mode the tentacles hurt.

Yeah I got it, was easy enough when I managed to stay inside the eye.

By the way I moved into the new section and death spawned. Shot him with some arrows and he fell out the sky and died in the water or something?!? LOL. Most anticlimatic fight possible. Got a load of exp and a trophy. I hope Death can be respawned. Looks like I don't get any loot for the kill either as it's a bug or something.

By the way I moved into the new section and death spawned. Shot him with some arrows and he fell out the sky and died in the water or something?!? LOL. Most anticlimatic fight possible. Got a load of exp and a trophy. I hope Death can be respawned. Looks like I don't get any loot for the kill either as it's a bug or something.
Yeah it respawns. It isn't really a glitch because he can be knocked down. He just happen to fall into the water which kills anything except the player. Whenever anything dies in the water the player doesn't get drops.
Yes it is sir.

Literally the definition of a "diamond in the rough."

Wait what!?
LOL this is amazing.

It must be a new glitch? However- one time this Ogre Got really excited when he saw one of my girl pawns, he than jumped off the bridge from the excitement killed himself and I leveled up.

Zeta Oni

Can anyone confirm if they kept the changes from the PC version regarding the "complete 50 notice board quests" achievement/trophy?

In the original it had to be done all in one play through, in the PC release they changed it to count multiple runs.

I like to switch my pawns so that they learn the best augments possible
so that later you can create your ultimate pawn with the best augments from all classes.
That makes sense?

Yea, I’ve been looking ahead to see what augments are worth getting. I’m about to switch my pawn from fighter to maybe strider. Not sure yet.

Murkas

Since everyone is showing their characters, here is my Magick Archer:

PyUBwTTl.jpg

My Fighter pawn, based after the Big Dog, the guy who retired the Undertaker at Wrestlemania, the one who defeated John Cena, Braun Strowman, and AJ Styles, The Rock's cousin, 3x WWE champion. One and only Roman Reigns: (I did a quick job, couldn't be arsed spending too long making him).

1o0EyCRl.jpg

Audioboxer

I've reached rotwood depository in BBI. Does anyone have any tips for those damn red flying orbs? Driving me crazy haha. I think I remember reading one of the sorcerer spells are good for getting them?

Yeah it respawns. It isn't really a glitch because he can be knocked down. He just happen to fall into the water which kills anything except the player. Whenever anything dies in the water the player doesn't get drops.

Literally the definition of a "diamond in the rough."

Actually Death floats on water, only enemy the Brine cannot kill. Must have been off map he fell.

Actually Death floats on water, only enemy the Brine cannot kill. Must have been off map he fell.
I thought if he gets knocked down it doesn't matter if he gloats?

So I officially over did it. Again. I spent too much time in BBI and I've over leveled myself for the main story. I haven't even reached the Dragon yet and I'm level 75.

SkylineRKR

Holyshit this game is amazing. Very underrated for last gen. God damn. Feels like darksouls and Skyrim in one.

Yeah its really great. The combat is quite something for an open world RPG.

I also love the night settings, the lighting is awesome as fuck. Its exactly what Dark Souls 2 promised but never delivered.

In terms of combat mechanics it absolutely buries Dark Souls. Skyrim I won't even mention, lol.

Nameless

I have been embarrassed.

This is what I get for switching my pawn to g-string armour in the pursuit of RC. My words and deeds shame me.

Since my putting my Pawn back in a full suit of armor her hires have dropped markedly. It's fine, I'm outfitting her solely for my benefit now, but it's still pretty hilarious.

Top Bottom