• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen PS4/XB1 |OT| They're master ports all, you can't go wrong

sublimit

Banned
I was hoping my copy would arrive today but i guess i'll have to wait until tomorrow. :/

(Not that i don't have games to play until then. :p)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Damnnn hard mode is real, lol. I didn't remember it being so punishing like this back then.

Died at the Chimera fight at the beginning with Savan, lol, I resetted that save file from the beginning, I couldnt die in that fight, no way!

Ooof, this will be painful, lol.

Lux R7

Damnnn hard mode is real, lol. I didn't remember it being so punishing like this back then.

Died at the Chimera fight at the beginning with Savant, lol, I resetted that save file from the beginning, I couldnt die in that fight, no way!

Ooof, this will be painful, lol.

I only play in hm from when Dark Arisen dropped for xbox 360. I like it, it's punishing but you can save anywhere and the stamina consumption doesn't bother me. Also it feels more rewarding to me personally.

Seiryoden

Ugh, just seen the email from Amazon UK: "We're still trying to obtain the item(s) which you ordered ". Was looking forward to making my character this evening. I wonder why they didn't tell me when I pre-ordered the thing.

people

Just updated Post #1 with what I missed last night, reposting for people interested in participating:

Since I'm already getting too many random friend requests since I started playing, I might as well.

Pawn name: Syzygy
Pawn level: 58+
Pawn vocation: Ranger
Additional details: Please mention "GAF" or similar in your request. RANDOM friend requests will be ignored.
Also, EU timezone so requests may not be processed during sleeping hours.

I used to upload them to the official Capcom DD photo sharing community site.
I picked a few nicer shots and put them here: https://imgur.com/a/oFqAH
Although the photo taking options in DD are rather limited compared to Horizon, there are many tricks that you can use to take great close up shots of wildlife and stuff.
My favorite is the Cyclops Shot-
cant wait to see you new shots.

How are the characters, story, and side quests in this game?
Story is okay,Great side quest and characters ,if you pay attention you could discover tons, if you casually play the game you might miss some of them.

That combat system felt really good, i do remember that. Is there any chance we'll ever see a sequel?

Hmmm, maybe not anytime soon, I believe Monster H world needs that spot light for a while.

lizards in the well.

Love, love this quest - so memorable,
I mean can you imagine if this was going on in your village o_o

How's exploration in this game? Is it rewarding to look around or is the game really mainly about the combat?

Definitely one of the biggest highlights of the game - and there's tons of loot to find :D

I'm so pumped for this preloaded over the weekend. Never played before but have heard the praise over the years and it sounds right up my ally.

Strider/Assassin good class for newbs to series?

Also can I mix a lil magic in there as well?

You will eventually want to play with all classes regardless,
but striders are super fun, since they are long range and close range nimble fighters.

Just updated Post #1 with what I missed last night, reposting for people interested in participating:

Might want to also add that PS+ isn't needed to share pawns
right?

Rellik

Ugh, just seen the email from Amazon UK: "We're still trying to obtain the item(s) which you ordered ". Was looking forward to making my character this evening. I wonder why they didn't tell me when I pre-ordered the thing.

I don't know why anyone in the UK would use Amazon unless you had gift cards. Almost every online game retailer is superior to them.

BigEmil

Should've ordered it from Base it was only about £15 there

Maligna

Banned
One of my favorite things about this game is the ability to create younger characters.

On my first play through last gen I basically made Hope and Cable. (My PC being Hope, a small young red head and her pawn protector being Cable, a gruff/burley old man)
be9ac8ae9062d282ab0fecfa1c13b13f.jpg

It's not very often you get to create characters that are in the 12-14 age range, but a lot of great stories star characters that are coming of age. (Stranger Things and IT for example)

Urgh my Arisen looks fat in-game, didn't in character creation.

Restart!

I can't remember, does the game let you alter Arisen/Pawn looks after initial creation? I remember on PS3 I later gave my pawn purple and blue skin, but unsure about other things.

WeTeHa

Restart!

I can't remember, does the game let you alter Arisen/Pawn looks after initial creation? I remember on PS3 I later gave my pawn purple and blue skin, but unsure about other things.

As far as i recall there was an item you could buy with rift crystals (the currency from bitterblack isle / what pawns bring back from their travels) that allowed you to change your appearance... I could be wrong, but I remember something like that.

f@luS

More than a member.
Received mine. For 20euros ... couldn’t pass. Never played the original. What can I expect ? 🙏🏻

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Restart!

Only after you reach post-game. Costs 10,000 rift crystals, too.

SkylineRKR

Fantastic remaster, fair price as well.

People thinking this is a minor upgrade to the PS360 version, think again. That game was letterboxed, long load times, and an often unacceptable framerate. This game has a rock solid 30fps so far, is full screen and load times seem to be short.

Game holds up incredibly well, but Dark Arisen isn't an old game to begin with. Gameplay is the best of the WRPG like games or whatever this is. It blows Witcher, Souls etc out of the water.

Tarahiro

Just arrived in the city. Going to upgrade my characters a bit later :)

XBL Gamertag: Tarahiro
Platform: Xbox One
Pawn Name: Leon
Pawn Level: 13
Pawn Vocation: Fighter
Addition details: likes to distract and grab. Started playing this morning so will be levelling him regularly.

4. When you are informed by an NPC that
Quina
has gone missing then you should put the main quest on hold a little and finish this sidequest or else some stuff will be locked out.

Yeah I mentioned this in an earlier post, and we can't emphasize it enough. Here's the mission name--it's not a real spoiler if you want to click on it:
Lost and Found
. Make sure you complete this mission. Otherwise, you'll miss out on one of the most memorable characters in the game (and I'm not talking about the one that went missing, though that character has an interesting story arc). Completing this mission allows you to take side quests later that feature the memorable character, and their quest lines will explain quite a bit of lore. Totally worth it.

Since I'm already getting too many random friend requests since I started playing, I might as well.

PSN ID: velmenni
Pawn name: Syzygy
Pawn level: 58+
Pawn vocation: Ranger
Additional details: Please mention "GAF" or similar in your request. RANDOM friend requests will be ignored.
Also, EU timezone so requests may not be processed during sleeping hours.

Wow! You leveled up fast. Just wanted to take the time to again warn everyone that hiring pawns that are higher level than you will decrease the xp you get after battles. 1% less for every level the pawn is higher than you, up to 25%. And a second pawn higher than you stacks on top of that. So, for example, you're level 15 and you hire two level 40 pawns. You'd get 50% less xp after battles!

IIRC in DA you could definitely do it before the post game, but it's a single use item.

This is correct. Better to wait until post game since that one is infinite uses.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
£15. Bargain. Installed and ready for action.

If only my wife and child would hit the hay early...

58Ked.gif

CURSE MY ATTRACTIVE PERSONALITY AND FUNCTIONAL SPERMATOZOA!

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Just walked in to a local gamestop and picked up their only copy, no preorder. (PS4)

Any Pro improvements? And any benefits for 1080p set Pro users?

great game but I've had my fill between Ps3+PC.

Need a proper sequel - so buy this, play it and maybe one day capcom will make a sequel to GOAT

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Huh... I just noticed something.

My NA PS4 physical copy doesn't have the Pro Support box printed on the back like the image in the OP shows.

So... no support?

Zeta Oni

Huh... I just noticed something.

My NA PS4 physical copy doesn't have the Pro Support box printed on the back like the image in the OP shows.

So... no support?

The people who have been playing on the Pro have reported a resolution of 1440p as being the only noticeable upgrade.

Just walked in to a local gamestop and picked up their only copy, no preorder. (PS4)

Any Pro improvements? And any benefits for 1080p set Pro users?

I want to say that there is a resolution bump if you have a pro
and I'm willing to bet that the FPS are rock solid even when things get hectic.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Can't leave the start town yet (PS4 Pro), "installing game data, explore the town while you wait". Damn it, I've explored all I want!

Game looks and plays amazingly well, though.

Can't leave the start town yet (PS4 Pro), "installing game data, explore the town while you wait". Damn it, I've explored all I want!

Game looks and plays amazingly well, though.

You mean the first town ?

Awesome, there is a hidden tombstone, some special flowers show up at night be the seashore passage that leads to an opening, there is hidden loot in the chimney ,ect.

Caja 117

Altight yesterday finished the intro as well as character creation, I will defenetly be posting my info for my pawn around here as soon as its created.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Combat is still just as great as I remember, and since I hear the story actually gets interesting I'm going to try and stick with it this time.

XBL Gamertag: Xaero Gravity
Platform: Xbox One
Pawn Name: Bill Murray
Pawn Level: Can't remember right now
Pawn Vocation: Mage

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I was waiting to play the game the last two years but damn it feel bad and boring playing in the starting area (I'm 1 hour in)

Keep going. Level up and get some abilities. Experiment with other vocations. Once you get to Gran Soren, you can use advanced and hybrid vocations, which you might find more interesting.

If you like exploring, try climbing around the environment. There's a lot to find in Cassardis alone. Maybe try venturing out at night to see what you run into.

Grewitch

Hey guys,

1. I'm looking for advice: none of my gaf friends are showing in the 'friends' section when I do a pawn search. I can search for them with PSN I'd search, but otherwise nothing.

Today there were two friends that were in the 'friends' section, but both were friend requests that I accepted yesterday. One gaffer has informed me they can see me on their list. Anyone got any ideas?

I've checked settings: I'm online and my pawn is available to all. I've closed the game and gone back in, Internet search has revealed nothing of value.

2. I've hot keyed the lantern to one of the directional buttons, I get the appropriate icon next to the lantern. You're supposed to hold R1 or L1 and the directional button to use, but that doesn't work for me. What am I missing? Please ease my life, friends.

Shanks

Is there any difference between playing normal versus hard? I played this on PS 3 years ago and can't remember if you get more experience or what.

Aka what mode should I play as I plan to put another 100 hours into this game.

WeTeHa

Is there any difference between playing normal versus hard? I played this on PS 3 years ago and can't remember if you get more experience or what.

Aka what mode should I play as I plan to put another 100 hours into this game.

double enemy damage
increased gold drops
double exp gains
double discipline gains
increased rift crystal gains
more stamina usage per skill

Personally, i think hard mode is only challenging in the beginning as a bunch of enemies can one shot you. It doesn't really feel difficult though, it's just cheap. Due to double XP gains and increased gold drops you can level up quickly and reinforce a lot of stuff, which makes the game a lot easier.

I would recommend starting on normal, play the game however you see fit and then do new game+ in hard mode. It takes away the annoying 1-shot enemies in the beginning but makes it easier to get to level 200 and get gold and rift crystals. At least, that's how I will play it.

Meneses

Hey guys,

2. I've hot keyed the lantern to one of the directional buttons, I get the appropriate icon next to the lantern. You're supposed to hold R1 or L1 and the directional button to use, but that doesn't work for me. What am I missing? Please ease my life, friends.

I need to know this too lol

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
You mean the first town ?

Yep, the first town. It let me out after a while.

For anyone that runs into this, if the game says you can't leave the town because data hasn't been installed yet (this happened to me on a digital purchase), give it time and you'll finally get a PS4 notification that the game has fully installed, then you can continue on your way.

I need to know this too lol

Select it in your inventory, and choose "Use". When done, select "Put Away".

Hey guys,

1. I'm looking for advice: none of my gaf friends are showing in the 'friends' section when I do a pawn search. I can search for them with PSN I'd search, but otherwise nothing.

Today there were two friends that were in the 'friends' section, but both were friend requests that I accepted yesterday. One gaffer has informed me they can see me on their list. Anyone got any ideas?

I've checked settings: I'm online and my pawn is available to all. I've closed the game and gone back in, Internet search has revealed nothing of value.

I think you can only use the lantern via menu -lol

Select it in your inventory, and choose "Use". When done, select "Put Away".

And about your friends not showing up..
sometimes your friends have not gone to sleep-
this is how pawns get registered to the rift stone you see around the world.

I think they will show up sooner or later.

Also each time you sleep at an inn or at camp your pawn will be uploaded as is and overwrite the old pawn.

I was waiting to play the game the last two years but damn it feel bad and boring playing in the starting area (I'm 1 hour in)

Until you have been deep in the woods with a full party battling all day and then find yourself racing against the sunset to get back to town because you've already been butt-fucked by what's waiting in the darkness you haven't played the game

Keep going. Level up and get some abilities. Experiment with other vocations. Once you get to Gran Soren, you can use advanced and hybrid vocations, which you might find more interesting.

If you like exploring, try climbing around the environment. There's a lot to find in Cassardis alone. Maybe try venturing out at night to see what you run into.

I'll do just that ! Thanks you

It's hard to get into the game while i'm on Divinity 2 and Horizon on the same time.

Until you have been deep in the woods with a full party battling all day and then find yourself racing against the sunset to get back to town because you've already been butt-fucked by what's waiting in the darkness you haven't played the game

Haha seems awesome

Sanctuary

Ferrystones, what are those? Anyway, this is pretty much the only game in ever that I've been so happy to be so wrong about. Easily one of my favorites of last gen. The original 360 demo just put me off entirely though.

Top Bottom