• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Chinner said:
holy shit guys did u see this FELIA DAY IS IN THE GAME oh man this is so hot!
img

omg this is amazing i love felica day shes in the codex (a series about videogames! i play videogames! its my demographic!!!) and now shes a kick ass hot killer elef who kills people!

can we have sex with her????

I tip my hat to you good sir

Gvaz

Banned
Tomat said:
<insert stop liking what I don't like, etc...>
It's all opinions obviously, including this post, but there's a point where a person's tastes come into question if they enjoyed DA2 anything but ironically.

I'll be honest, I loved DA:O but DA2 was like a person watching a trainwreck. You just can't stop watching it but every second is terrible.

But, that horse has been beaten and resurrected to infinity.

Arjen

Gvaz said:
It's all opinions obviously, including this post, but there's a point where a person's tastes come into question if they enjoyed DA2 anything but ironically.

I'll be honest, I loved DA:O but DA2 was like a person watching a trainwreck. You just can't stop watching it but every second is terrible.

I see al the flaws DA2 has, but i stil had fun with it. Sorry

kai3345

Banned
Just completed the first act and the Deep Roads dungeon was leaps and bounds greater than everything before it, but it still wasn't good. Getting some interaction with Varric was nice, seeing as he, Avaline and Bethany are the only characters that don't make me want to claw my ears out.

Speaking of Bethany - WHAT. THE. FUCK.
She fucking dies for no reason? Why did no one else contract the taint? So fucking stupid. Now I have to have fucking Anders as my goddamn mage

And I hear Deep Roads is the highpoint of the game...

Aeana

Gvaz said:

Cool. People who liked DA2 have bad taste. Let's just leave it at that and stop going through this cycle. It's getting pretty old.

After setting my expectations appropriately low, I'm having something resembling fun with DA2. I just got to the deep roads. Let's see if the feeling sticks.

kai3345 said:
Just completed the first act and the Deep Roads dungeon was leaps and bounds greater than everything before it, but it still wasn't good. Getting some interaction with Varric was nice, seeing as he, Avaline and Bethany are the only characters that don't make me want to claw my ears out.

Speaking of Bethany - WHAT. THE. FUCK.
She fucking dies for no reason? Why did no one else contract the taint? So fucking stupid. Now I have to have fucking Anders as my goddamn mage

And I hear Deep Roads is the highpoint of the game...

Dude,
the game basically hits you over the head with hints about something terrible might happen if you took Bethany/Carver.
Not saying it's smart design, but you should've caught it.

Shoulda listened to your mother bro.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Every time someone bumps this thread I'm sourly reminded of what utter shit this game is. The fact that I didn't buy any DLC for it makes me even more bitter because I'm not even remotely interested in it and I bought every single piece of DLC for Mass Effect and like 70% of DA:O dlc. What a waste of resources, time and talent for a shameless cash grab. Ugh.

Aeana

subversus said:
Every time someone bumps this thread I'm sourly reminded of what utter shit this game is. The fact that I didn't buy any DLC for it makes me even more bitter because I'm not even remotely interested in it and I bought every single piece of DLC for Mass Effect and like 70% of DA:O dlc. What a waste of resources, time and talent for a shameless cash grab. Ugh.
Does making the same post every time a DA2 thread is made make you feel better?

Just finished this yesterday and I probably liked it more than most people here, but damn that ending. I think I enjoyed the characters the most with Varric being one of my favorite in a long time. The plot of the first two Acts was actually pretty interesting to me too even if it seemed like my actions were not having enough impact on it. I also preferred having a voiced main character over the system in the first game, but I understand why some people would prefer the latter.

The dungeon reuse actually did not bother me as much as I thought it would, but I wish they would have removed the blocked sections from the mini-map. I wasted a ton of time checking to see if doors were shut and seeing the locked off sections was the main reason it was obvious locations were being reused. The wave based combat was probably my biggest complaint not only because it was fairly immersion breaking, but also because it happened every single encounter. Towards the end I found myself sighing every time I got attacked because I knew I was going to have to go through a few waves of enemies. Speaking of which the random attacks at night in the city really could have been toned down. I must have cleaned out every criminal in the city several times over by the end.

As for the ending I feel like I was tricked and given a disc with a fake ending on it. I felt like it gave enough closure on the game (not a prologue like some people feel), but where the hell did the idea for that final conflict come from?
I sided with the mages the entire game, but I could not in good conscience side with them in the final battle and I was a mage! It really did seem like every mage you encountered during the game was a Blood Mage so I almost felt sympathetic to the Templars.
Speaking of which I am not even sure if playing the game as a Mage should be an option with the way the story is written. It just seems odd that you are able to run around as an Apostate without anyone giving you too much trouble.

In the end I have hopes for the next game since the conflict that has been setup could be good, but some changes to the game should be made (including keeping whoever came up with the third Act of Dragon Age 2 away from Dragon Age 3).

Crazetex

HadesGigas said:
Seems pretty tame. Maybe they could have let you choose the reaction instead of it defaulting to uncomfortable surprise.

Then they could have you choose a flirty reaction or an angry bigot reaction too!

A lot of the reactions in the game are from a set of nice/smartass/jerk responses, based on your typical response pattern. That might have been one of three.

It's still awkward/offensive/terrible, even with +1 Felicia Day.

Darklord

Banned
It's not that bad. Really, if you're something like transgender you need to grow a bit of thick skin and not get offended over everything. There are bigots out there, learn to live with it and don't get upset and you'll be a lot happier. As long as something is meant to be hateful, I'm generally ok with it. And yes, I'm saying that about jokes related to me too. I'm not just saying it about transgender. In general. This clearly isn't meant to be offensive. That wouldn't have added it in. I think they felt more "awkward" at the dialog. Being surprised then them saying "Introduce me to your dellllicious friend".

It wasn't a scene that required an ""awwwwkward..." though. That seemed out of place.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Darklord said:
It's not that bad. Really, if you're something like transgender you need to grow a bit of thick skin and not get offended over everything.
Transgendered people tend to have very, very thick skin.

As long as something is meant to be hateful, I'm generally ok with it. And yes, I'm saying that about jokes related to me too. I'm not just saying it about transgender. In general. This clearly isn't meant to be offensive. That wouldn't have added it in. I think they felt more "awkward" at the dialog. Being surprised then them saying "Introduce me to your dellllicious friend".

It wasn't a scene that required an ""awwwwkward..." though. That seemed out of place.
Personally i find it more offensive because its not funny and it says nothing. Bioware has never been known for their maturity though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
"Awkward..."

Fucking Felicia Day. That's not really offensive or anything, but it is an offense to good writing and worldbuilding. Its completely contemporary! It will be obsolete in five years, maybe less!

Darklord

Banned
water_wendi said:
Transgendered people tend to have very, very thick skin.

I don't doubt it. They'd kinda have too. I'm just saying it's nothing worth some "controversy" over.

Personally i find it more offensive because its not funny and it says nothing. Bioware has never been known for their maturity though.

Yeah, it seems pointless. It's just bone brain humour. It's the kind of comedy you'd find in a Wayans movie aimed frat boys.

water_wendi said:

I'd figure there's more to the characters than just that dialogue. Especially since in the main game you pretty much couldn't talk to people unless they were involved in a quest.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
HadesGigas said:
I'd figure there's more to the characters than just that dialogue. Especially since in the main game you pretty much couldn't talk to people unless they were involved in a quest.
Well i wouldnt know since i havent played DA2 outside of the demo. i was watching a stream of it when it came out but i exhausted myself laughing and lost place.

Emitan

ShockingAlberto said:
Regardless of whether it's offensive or not, it is completely shit writing.
That's just, like, your opinion, man. Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go read Twilight, which has the best romance of our generation.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
inky said:
"awwwwkward..."

Ugh.

I really hate it when they do shit like this. Totally breaks the immersion of whatever world they were trying to create. Might as well be saying, "like, oh my god!"

Mr_Zombie

That "awwkward..." comment was really awkward :/

Also, why Felicia Day, even though she's supposed to be an elf, doesn't look like other DA2 elfs? She looks like a DA:O elf - a human with big pointy ears.

Woorloog

Banned
Mr_Zombie said:
That "awwkward..." comment was really awkward :/

Also, why Felicia Day, even though she's supposed to be an elf, doesn't look like other DA2 elfs? She looks like a DA:O elf - a human with big pointy ears.
You do know that people complained about DA2 elves looks...?
(Didn't they?)

Mr_Zombie

Woorloog said:
You do know that people complained about DA2 elves looks...?
(Didn't they?)
I know (and I agree - the design is really shitty). However, if character designers decided that's how all elfs look in Dragon Age 2 they should stick to the design. Right now we have a scene with two elfs: one that looks exactly like all the other elfs in the universe and one that looks like a normal person with big pointy ears. That's really jarring.

Woorloog

Banned
Mr_Zombie said:
I know (and I agree - the design is really shitty). However, if character designers decided that's how all elfs look in Dragon Age 2 they should stick to the design. Right now we have a scene with two elfs: one that looks exactly like all the other elfs in the universe and one that looks like a normal person with big pointy ears. That's really jarring.
Not everybody looks the same or has the same built... but having only one exception is truly jarring, yes. However, considering that BW desinged the first DLC based on criticism (wave combat, other stuff (AFAIK, haven't bought the DLC (yet, other games to play)), then this new elf desing is probably also answer to criticism. Though a bit bad answer if it is one.
But... does the elf look like Felicia Day? If the elf is modelled after her, then that may be one reason to use human-like elf model.
(A thought that she might a half-elf also occured to me but then i remembered any child by a human and an elf is always human even though it makes no sense whatsoever)

shiroryu

Zefah said:
I really hate it when they do shit like this. Totally breaks the immersion of whatever world they were trying to create. Might as well be saying, "like, oh my god!"
Yup. Always jerks you right out of the atmosphere they're creating. It's supposed to be dark fantasy, Bioware.

Pyrrhus

Why does the Felicia Day elf have a human face instead of looking like art deco sculptures like the rest of the elves?

Gvaz

Banned
Pyrrhus said:
Why does the Felicia Day elf have a human face instead of looking like art deco sculptures like the rest of the elves?
Because one is easier to do dirty things with, i guess.

frogg609

Is this game still super buggy even with patches for everyone else? I still get tons of tearing and graphical retardedness, even on the latest patch.

bhlaab

Darklord said:
It's not that bad. Really, if you're something like transgender you need to grow a bit of thick skin and not get offended over everything. There are bigots out there, learn to live with it and don't get upset and you'll be a lot happier. As long as something is meant to be hateful, I'm generally ok with it. And yes, I'm saying that about jokes related to me too. I'm not just saying it about transgender. In general. This clearly isn't meant to be offensive. That wouldn't have added it in. I think they felt more "awkward" at the dialog. Being surprised then them saying "Introduce me to your dellllicious friend".

The joke is that it is hilarious that transgendered people exist because whoa what's up with that!!

Secondary joke is that transgendered people are sexually predatory and their mere presence makes everybody uncomfortable because what's up with that!!

So yeah if you're transgendered Bioware just called you a creepy, ridiculous piece of shit. I suppose you could take that in stride but if I were transgendered I'd probably be annoyed.

Pyrrhus said:

I'm not seeing how you look at this

p71PX.jpg

and come away with "human face" but yeah okay.

Thoraxes

Many months later and this is still the best gif i've seen in my entire life. I just burst out into uncontrollable laughter everytime I see it, and nothing prevents it.

da2ot-04.gif

Pakkidis

So I am about halfway through act 2 and so far I am liking it although the longer I play the game the more faults I seem to find. This game is like a crack on a windshield, the longer I play the bigger the crack gets.

I guess with all the negative reaction from gamers I was expecting something much worse however the first act really surprised me. I really like the changes they made to the upgrade system and they cleaned up the interface and hud.

The biggest problem for me so far is that very little is happening in the story. So far I feel like I am just an errand boy running around doing pointless quests most of the time. Even the main story isn't that exciting so far. It was fun in the first act but now things seem to get a bit excessive.

The combat seems mostly the same but they over did it with the enemy waves, like the game, it didn't bother me at first but now its just getting repetitive. I like the new spell effects they did with mages though. My force mage is tearing things apart.

My other grip is my companions, they just don't seem all that interesting, I like varric the best and then isabelle but the rest seem average.

I am going to finish it, I like to see where the story is going it just seems like its taking forever to get there.

Top Bottom