• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Gvaz

Banned
I personally preferred the old UI, it was neat/different.

Instead they went and made a ui that took up the whole screen and it was clunkier to use
beepuke.gif

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
HadesGigas said:
Haha, just you wait until it gets there. You'll wish it never did.

I laughed, then felt bad about it, thus running the gamut of BioWare emotional resonance from A to B.

I bought and played through the new DLC on Saturday and I am really not sure what to think at this point. The zone variety was pretty good with a decent mix of outdoor and indoor zones plus a few new enemy types were thrown in to mix things up. I think I missed some dialogue somewhere though because the story did not make a ton of sense to me. Also Felicia's character model was just plain weird looking. I could not stand to look at her face because the mapping of it was really off.

The "Awkward" scene really was just that and I have to wonder if they were trying to make some kind of reference to her
Qun background
or if it was just a really bad joke. Either way it was a total throw away conversation that did not need to exist at all and added zero to the overall plot.

There was also some decent loot to be had and my mage got a new set of gear that was better than the Champion gear I finished the game with. Of course that stuff is pretty much pointless unless we see another DLC release so I am not sure how much that matters.

Finally they mix the content up a bit by having some optional puzzles in the Vault and an optional stealth section that you can choose instead of fighting your way through an area. I only chose the stealth though due to an achievement and it really was not that fun. There is also a fairly lengthy dialogue based quest in the middle (where the Awkward scene comes in) that felt like it went on far too long. Speaking of dialogue there did not seem to be any real interaction with existing characters during this DLC. I was hoping for some new Varric conversations, but there were none to be had.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I finished the DLC a few days go.

The story itself was decent and gives a bit of information on the Qun. I suppose that's where DA3 will head. The pacing was actually well done. I didn't feel like it was as random as some of DA2.

+
  1. New setting
  2. Variety*
  3. Finally, towards the end, you get new gear.

-
  1. The setting doesn't feel too different from previous locations
  2. Practically no interaction with your party members except Felicia
  3. *
    Horrible stealth
  4. Mediocre side quests
  5. You only use the new gear for a bit

I actually decided to say fuck you to the cool downs this time, and grabbed a mod to reduce the times. The game actually felt much better. As a mage, the cool downs were horrible, because they make your player so useless for too long.

So, the consensus I'm getting from everywhere is not to buy Mark?

I mean, I'm gonna replay DA2 on my super DX11/Sandy Bridge/SSD/awesomeballs computer anyway.

But I wanted to know if it sucked or not.

Gvaz

Banned
If you're going to replay it, you probably already like the game and nothing we say will sway you.

Elsewise, nope.

Gvaz said:
They want the COD fanbase. However the major thing they missed, is that RPGs are niche. You aren't going to get COD or Gears numbers unless you are literally making COD or Gears of War.

Mass Effect 3 looks like it will be even more TPS than RPG like the first game was, but fail to actually go "all the way" with the design. It'll probably have less clunky combat but the rpg mechanics will still be threadbare.

With DA2 it just makes me think that they have to stick to one thing. They can stick to making a good rpg, or they can stick to making something else. The design choices of DA2 really shows they were trying to pull in casual rpg fans while appealing to existing, more "hardcore" RPG fans they had carried and brought in with DA:O, but failed to properly appeal to either. The "hardcore" fans just got turned off, and the casual fans were like "well it's okay~"

I don't think so personally. I believe fantasy can transcend into being as popular and mainstream as military shooters. I think that a show like Game of Thrones, really ascended as something that most people could get into, because they dropped a lot of the unbeliveable bullshit that a lot of people don't like about fantasy.

I think this is what Bioware is trying to do with their combat systems. It goes back all the way to NWN even. Clunky fucking combat, even for it's time. In KOTOR it' was still d6 rulesets but it was semi-real time. Then they went further in Jade Empire and made a semi button smasher to reflect it's martial arts combat gameplay.. But they lost all sorts of depth. I'm replaying it now, and even though the game is great, the combat is vastly inferior to anything BW has made for many years.

Then you had Mass Effect. Almost a pure shooter. But like KOTOR and Jade, still with wacky shitty gullible inventory shit. Those fuckers didn't know how to kill their darlings, and we were left with retarded micro management that didn't give shit. People speak of depth and RPG elements, but it's actually just superficial junk that gives some wacky illusion of true customization.

Things get nice and tight in DAO but at the cost of making an old school battle system. Lots of retards whining. Reviewers calling it old school like it's a minus. I bet their focus groups probably had ADHD and were high on ritalin when they demanded more action action action, not boring swing-a-dick lalalala combat.

ME2 and DA2 tries to clean it up. I'm not opposed to the battle system in either, because I don't think highly of the foundations based on the originals. DAO was like playing world of warcraft by yourself. And ME1 had really shitty combat with unsatisfying weapons. It couldn't even compare by itself to a mediocre third person shooter. Game has great points, but the combat was retarded, and became monotone. It didn't have the 20 seconds of awesome that Bungie always talks about. That's why it didn't work very well IMO.

DA2, just like Kirkwall itself needed more time. 6 more months.. perhaps an entire year. I really liked the design and what they tried to do with it. They needed to greatly expand the combat, make skills and abillities that forced you to make you think while fighting hard enemies. Exactly like Jade Empire. At least you could do more in DA2 in terms of combat. But it came half a decade later, so fuck that. It was rushed in a criminal manner, more extreme than KOTOR 2 and NWN2.

What I take away from a good RPG combat system is that you have strategy and get a satisfaction from using your brain to execute an action. I don't think that this means you have to dumb it down, just because you want to mix it with action. Obviously, BW has been on the forefront trying to blur the line between action and RPG for a long time.

I just don't see DA2 as a bad game. I see it as a more brave game design, that should have worked much better than DAO, IF they had given it the love and care.

I imagined Kirkwall as an open world city thing. instead it was copy pasted art pieces and characters all over, and it fucked it up big time. Was it engine related, or all the story pieces that could not mix together in an open space that made them go down the way of small corridors? I dunno, but DAO... DAO was incredible uninteresting I think. I found it bland, and boring, and not like a nostalgic trip like some have.

I think that game has some of the worst fantasy art in recent memory, along with Everquest.

Gvaz

Banned
GoT is successful as a tv show because it's a fantasy that is less about fantasy and more about human interactions. There is still tons of fantasy but it's not too absurd as some fantasies.

I rather enjoyed the throwback to older rpgs with DA:O and other than the sluggish and some micromanaging feel to it, I enjoyed it and would call it a plus.

The art in DA2 is pretty fucking boring though, the art in DA:O was muted (perhaps out of design? idk) but looked great for what they were doing. There's nothing wrong with fantasy or the fantasy setting unless you let yourself fall into too many tropes concerning it.

I like the rpg mechanics of say like DA:O or DA:2 and KOTOR but they always trim those aspects and add more combat features, which isn't what I'm playing for. Add a diablo loot/customization system and their new combat and I'll be happy.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I just beat this last night, on PC.

I honestly had a good time with the game. I'd give it a solid 7 out of 10. The combat was definitely the bright point.

The one thing that surprised me was that had no idea Isabella wasn't going to just show up on her own. By the time I found out how to get her, I figured I was too close to the end for it to matter. I'll just save her bit for whenever I decide to do a Mage run.

Overall, I don't at all regret buying Dragon Age 2.

p.s. - I added a texture mod on top of Bioware's HD texture package, which gave the environmental textures a serious boost in quality. It's called TrufflesDuval Texture Mod.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I was really hoping that this along with Fallout New Vegas were gonna get some type of ultimate release, but they still havent announced anything. I dont want to buy and then get burned by some stupid announcement like in the past.

~Kinggi~ said:
I was really hoping that this along with Fallout New Vegas were gonna get some type of ultimate release, but they still havent announced anything. I dont want to buy and then get burned by some stupid announcement like in the past.

There's only 2 story DLCs out. The current complete version of the game can be had for like $40 (or less during sales).

Mrbob

~Kinggi~ said:

You can get the game for 8 bucks on origin right now. Just buy it.

~Kinggi~ said:

They've said there are no plans for an "Ulltimate Edition". Which seems pretty lame, and will more than likely change in the future.

Vigilant Walrus said:
I think that a show like Game of Thrones, really ascended as something that most people could get into, because they dropped a lot of the unbeliveable bullshit that a lot of people don't like about fantasy.
Man, those people are going to be sad once we get to the season based on A Feast for Crows.

Gvaz

Banned
I'd say that's about the max this game is worth. I wouldn't have felt bad from only paying that for this game .

Kinyou

Just finished the game and I have to admit that I actually had quite a good time with it. Once I turned on the auto attack and the damage numbers it even felt like an actual role playing game. Sure lots of setting were reused and the city felt very small but I was already used to stuff like this from ME 1 and ME 2. Simply after all the hate the game got I just expected it to be much, much worse. I also found the quests, story and characters were all quite enjoyable.

Overall a step back after DA 1 but I'm genuinely looking forward to DA 3 just to see how it all plays out.

Just finished the game and I have to admit that I actually had quite a good time with it. Once I turned on the auto attack and the damage numbers it even felt like an actual role playing game. Sure lots of setting were reused and the city felt very small but I was already used to stuff like this from ME 1 and ME 2. Simply after all the hate the game got I just expected it to be much, much worse. I also found the quests, story and characters were all quite enjoyable.

Overall a step back after DA 1 but I'm genuinely looking forward to DA 3 just to see how it all plays out.

Did you import a save file or start fresh?

lollin'

2. Dragon Age 2 (PC, Xbox 360, PS3)

I know I'm going to get flak for this, but I really don't care at this point. Dragon Age 2 is a fantastic roleplaying game with the emphasis firmly on playing the role of the champion of Kirkwall. I felt so connected to Hawke and his friends like Anders, Varric or Isabella (hubba hubba), that by the dramatic climax I was making decisions not for any gamist goal of stats or quest completion but because I genuinely cared for the characters' well-being.

Dragon Age 2 did change a lot from its predecessor - and that really put people off I suppose - but the improvements added up to an experience that was more fun without any of the annoyances of UI or comabt that haunt most RPGs. The inventory management worked better, and it was fun pulling off the cross-class combos in the more action-oriented combat. People complained about going back to the same locations, but I personally enjoyed adventuring in a single city and getting to know its locales as well as I know the streets of Brooklyn. I lived in Kirkwall for the first half of 2011 and loved every minute of it. (And no, EA didn't pay me money to say that.)

Vamphuntr

^

Horrible :(

Better inventory management? They even added more pointless junk items... He liked the same copy pasta areas because he knew his way through them by heart...

Isn't this the website that gave it 10/10.

I don't really get the hate for this game.

It's like a 6/10 or 7/10 game, right? When was the last time there was so much vitriol directed at an average-to-decent game. Too Human?

Kinyou

Did you import a save file or start fresh?
I imported a save file, though I have to admit I wished that there had been more references to the first one. Something like
actually meeting the grey warden you played in the first one would have been cool

The Antitype said:

It's like a 6/10 or 7/10 game, right? When was the last time there was so much vitriol directed at an average-to-decent game. Too Human?
DA2 being a bad, unfinished game is just half the story.

The marketing, reviews like the one posted on the Escapist, and the responses to criticism from the devs actually resulted in more bad vibes than the game itself.
People complained about going back to the same locations, but I personally enjoyed adventuring in a single city and getting to know its locales as well as I know the streets of Brooklyn.
As someone who actually lives in Brooklyn, I’m offended by the comparison. :/

^

Horrible :(

Better inventory management? They even added more pointless junk items... He liked the same copy pasta areas because he knew his way through them by heart...

Isn't this the website that gave it 10/10.

it's funny because they're literally "Junk Items"

the game labels them that in a category called "JUNK"

the icon is actually that of a beat up aluminum trash can

Kinyou

Such a weird idea.

Edit: btw. I forgot to mention that I played it on "hard". Made the combat a bit more enjoyable.

inky

^I haven't seen a mod of the kind, but if you mean the isometric camera it is unlikely.

LOL that guy. He'll take that 10 score to his grave. Never forget:

Bottom Line: A pinnacle of role-playing games with well-designed mechanics and excellent story-telling, Dragon Age II is what videogames are meant to be.

That Escapist blurb still isn't as personally offensive to me as Lara from Gamers with Jobs calling DA2 her favorite game of ALL TIME.

Nah, it's a different thing to consider it your personal favourite game ever. I mean, we probably all like shit other people hate.

^I haven't seen a mod of the kind, but if you mean the isometric camera it is unlikely.

God damn it. I can't tell what the hell is going on with the tiny ass view that I've got. I was hoping the combat would be the saving grace of this game since the actual RPGing is atrocious with its shitty script and character archetype responses. Why are all the smart ass lines delivered with the same face?

Glad I only spent $5 on this

RedSwirl

They want the COD fanbase. However the major thing they missed, is that RPGs are niche. You aren't going to get COD or Gears numbers unless you are literally making COD or Gears of War.

Mass Effect 3 looks like it will be even more TPS than RPG like the first game was, but fail to actually go "all the way" with the design. It'll probably have less clunky combat but the rpg mechanics will still be threadbare.

With DA2 it just makes me think that they have to stick to one thing. They can stick to making a good rpg, or they can stick to making something else. The design choices of DA2 really shows they were trying to pull in casual rpg fans while appealing to existing, more "hardcore" RPG fans they had carried and brought in with DA:O, but failed to properly appeal to either. The "hardcore" fans just got turned off, and the casual fans were like "well it's okay~"

I don't think RPGs have been niche this generation at all, not since Oblivion, not when Skyrim can ship 10 million copies in the face of Modern Warfare. Don't forget that Dragon Age Origins sold around 4 million copies which, while not COD, is definitely not niche. In fact I think RPGs have had as much an influence on today's gaming as shooters have. BioWare just needs to realize that.

Also, I would go as far as to say that Dragon Age II did successfully appeal to the casual RPG audience. I know of a lot of people who really liked the game. GAF is the only place where I've seen DAII get so much hate.

I will agree though that BioWare has been trying to step into territory they don't know. They are an RPG house and they don't know the minutia that go into shooters. Even Mass Effect 2 still felt like a shooter made by an RPG studio. It's like if Square Enix tried to make a Ninja Gaiden game.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
God damn it. I can't tell what the hell is going on with the tiny ass view that I've got. I was hoping the combat would be the saving grace of this game since the actual RPGing is atrocious with its shitty script and character archetype responses. Why are all the smart ass lines delivered with the same face?

Glad I only spent $5 on this
This is completly my #1 issue with the game (well, one of the many). The combat would be decent if we had the ability to zoom the fuck out. I guess they wanted the game to only be played as a knight/rogue. It's difficult to place magic; it's no wonder why they disabled friendly fire.

Patryn

I'd personally give it a 4/10. I'm not calling it the worst game of all time, but I also wouldn't call this above average in any way.

gdt

DA:O, and both Witchers do this too. A bunch of other RPGs as well. Hate it. HATE IT.

Top Bottom