• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Game Informer details [Up2: Exploration Skills?]

Salaadin

Fuck. This sounds so good.

So we get The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age 3 in the same year? Thats going to be awesome.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
He works at Game Informer.

Regardless, it doesn't seem like the re-cap here (the same one done every month) is intended to steal any kind of readership from the magazine. I still fully intend to read my copy. It's nice seeing a list of the finer details for a recap. Writing a summary seems harmless, especially since they wrote it themselves.

Patryn

Three classes: Meh

Three races: yay

On the class issue, at PAX East it sounded like you'd only be able to choose a single subclass, and it would be a more important choice than before.

So if you count subclasses, there will probably actually be between 6 and 9 choices.

Giran

Thanks for those write-ups. Sounds good. As in, too good coming from Bioware. I remain skeptical.

Regarding this:
Working very hard to ensure your saves/decisions will carry over to next-gen consoles
Does this mean your saves from Inquisiton will carry over to Dragon Age: Ultimate Reloaded Boogaloo that will follow, or that you'll be able to import your Origins saves to Inquisition?

Just played DA2 after putting it off for forever. So much of this looks so much better, so different as to seem an impossible transition, but I'll be there either way. Excited to see how it turns out, especially if they end up copying the ME3 multiplayer.

Nerokis

And there's still over a year left of dev time :)

The prolonged development schedule, Frostbite 3, and the involvement of people like Patrick Weekes are all reasons for optimism. It seems BioWare is investing a lot into this game...

... Okay, I can't wait to pick this up on PC. Officially hyped.

Kinyou

On the class issue, at PAX East it sounded like you'd only be able to choose a single subclass, and it would be a more important choice than before.

So if you count subclasses, there will probably actually be between 6 and 9 choices.
Ok, that sounds better. Found it a bit silly in DA 2 how they tried to make the class selection screen look bigger by always putting a Female Hawke next to a Male Hawke while gender actually didn't affect the class at all.

And then you check what they define as fair use. So now you have to demonstrate how what is being done here isn't fair use.

I guess you're being sarcastic when you say "Good source...". Do you have a better source on what to consider fair use and what is plagiarism and if this constitutes copyright infringement?

He works at Game Informer.

Let's break down fair use using their points. (And yes, this is pretty good source.)

The nature of use: There is no analysis or external input/interpretation in the GamingEverything post. They have simply taken our work and turned it into bullet points. There is no value added by this.

The amount used: The entirety of the article was ripped.

The effect on the original: By ripping the article, it competes directly with our own paid issue. It does us economic harm.

By all three of these points, GamingEverything has committed plagiarism that is not protected by fair use.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Regardless, it doesn't seem like the re-cap here (the same one done every month) is intended to steal any kind of readership from the magazine. I still fully intend to read my copy. It's nice seeing a list of the finer details for a recap. Writing a summary seems harmless, especially since they wrote it themselves.
I'm just interested in what is fair to do on a forum.

I always strive to not quote excessively and to incentivize people to click on the original article and I've posted in the past to point out when OPs quoted too liberally and I've reported to moderators when threads were just copy-paste dumps of other people's work.

What I don't like is just drive-by hit-and-run posting without offering what to do.

Let's break down fair use using their points. (And yes, this is pretty good source.)

The nature of use: There is no analysis or external input/interpretation in the GamingEverything post. They have simply taken our work and turned it into bullet points. There is no value added by this.

The amount used: The entirety of the article was ripped.

The effect on the original: By ripping the article, it competes directly with our own paid issue. It does us economic harm.

By all three of these points, GamingEverything has committed plagiarism that is not protected by fair use.
Thanks for elaborating.

Is shinobi602's and Nirolak's summary also plagiarism or is this about Gamingeverything only?

Perkel

Banned
Fuck. This sounds so good.

So we get The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age 3 in the same year? Thats going to be awesome.

It is for Dragon Age 3 to come before TW3 because after TW3 getting those 10/10 will be very very very costly for EA

I always strive to not quote excessively and to incentivize people to click on the original article and I've posted in the past to point out when OPs quoted too liberally and I've reported to moderators when threads were just copy-paste dumps of other people's work.

What I don't like is just drive-by hit-and-run posting without offering what to do.

When NeoGAF fawns all over GamingEverything and All Games Beta, two sites that, like clockwork, rip off content from other sites/publications, you are endorsing plagiarism. You've sent the message that what they are doing is great and they continue to do it.

It's plagiarism. It's theft. It isn't fair use.

More world details

- Areas will change based on what time it is
- Weather impacts exploration
- Rain can make a bog muddy, making travel slower
- Still has classic enemies including ogres, elves, qunari

Friends/foes

- Dialogue/story sequences are the best way to learn about your allies and their abilities
- This can also be done to a lesser extent in battle
- Vivienne: Inquisitor mage who was in line to hold the position of first encharter in the Circle of Orlais
- She wasn’t able to take the osition due to the Orlesian civil war
- Writers analyze the story’s main themes and conflicts, then create certain characters around them
- Not all characters are created so that you’ll like them
- Other allies and their loyalties are currently unknown
- Learn early on that there’s someone behind the demon breach and resulting chaos
- Won’t learn who you’re dealing with early on
- Cassandra and Varric from Dragon Age II are playable party members
- Morrigan won’t be a party member
- Morrigan’s role seems to be more than just a cameo

Crafting system

- Use materials from around the world and enemies you defeat to make customized armor
- “Crafting in Inquisition is about customizing yourself, your character, your looks…”
- You can, technically, eventually create any colored version of the armor your start out with on par with what you find late in the game
- Characters will keep their look, but the armor will have huge influence on how they look

Choices

- Will need to make choices as problems develop
- Not always about dark choices
- BioWare is looking for players to think about potential consequences and deal with them if they happen
- Dialogue wheel similar to that of Dragon age II lets you make choices
- Some improvements
- Optional addition being added to the wheel for more clarity
- Choices have an impact throughout the world
- “Loose ends are a constant problem… We have a responsibility to resolve at least some of them if we’re going to introduce new ones…”
- Choices involve themes, mysteries from previous Dragon Age games
- Game will offer clarity on things such as Red Lyrium, Grey Wardens’ activities, Flemeth, Morrigan’s fate
- BioWare working on the issue of bringing over previous choices in Inquisition
- “It’s very important to people, and it’s very important to us. We don’t want people to feel like they can’t buy a new console or change the platform they’re buying this game on simply because they want to make sure their saves are maintained.”

http://gamingeverything.com/new-dragon-age-inquisition-details/

edit: should I not be posting this? >_>

Thanks for elaborating.

Is shinobi602's and Nirolak's summary also plagiarism or is this about Gamingeverything only?

Look, we would prefer if you talked about details that made you excited. Have a conversation about the classes, the story, the graphics, anything like that. But when it's a bullet-point list of exactly what appears in the article, it's doing us (and yourselves) a disservice. This is certainly more about GamingEverything, but the bullet-pointing is kinda crummy.

I'm not trying to chill conversation about the game. Lord knows we love it when you're excited about the new issue. It's the strip-mining of content that feels really crappy.

Luthos

Well damn, they're doing a good job of getting me hyped again. Most of this sounds very good.

I'm so fucking glad that they are bringing back different races. I love that they're combo-ing the voice acting but still having the choice of race. Let's hope they end up adding Qunari as a choice, too.

Hindle

Banned
So the previous DA games I had little interest in, but this sounds awesome. How are they going to introduce newcomers to the story is what I want to know?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Most of this sounds pretty good, but it remains to be seen how well it is implemented.

I got burned on my Dragon Age 2 pre-order, and I'll be damned if I'll let the same thing happen with Inquisition. I'll wait for reviews and GAF impressions before making a decision.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Get me that PC version, nauw! I'm a sucker for these Twilight-for-man-children games BioWare keeps making and I'm not about to change that now. Honestly, it seems that they've listened to the feedback (read: trashing) and doing things right for the first time in a long while. Don't disappoint us BioWare.

KorrZ

This is the direction I HOPED they would head in after the panning of DA2. Now let's just see if they actually follow through with all these promises. Right now everything sounds a bit too good to be true.

Subitai

This was always virtually the case if you were optimizing your Hero/Warden rogues and warriors.

The real flexibility was as a mage. I guess as long as I can dish major damage with spirit/fire and electric, I'll take whatever other restrictions they hand out. Cleaning up with fire in the beginning and then being able to not worry about respeccing to deal with demons/dragons with electric was always something I appreciated. Based on what you're saying, I don't know if that will be possible.

Piecake

So the previous DA games I had little interest in, but this sounds awesome. How are they going to introduce newcomers to the story is what I want to know?

Well, I know ME did that interactive comic/cutscene thing that summarized the story and let you make decisions. They might do something like that

Game sounds pretty cool, but I've been burned enough times that I'll certainly wait for the reviews. I can't help but wish they hadn't named the protagonist's organization (and the game) the "Inquisition" though. Sort of a weird and inappropriate choice.

Sothpaw

PC

- Will be optimized for the platform
- “The PC actually is different, especially from a controls standpoint.”
- Caters to mouse and keyboard, unlike its predecessor’s tradition

Alright Bio you can do it for Mass Effect so let's not completely fuck up Dragon Age again please.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Look, we would prefer if you talked about details that made you excited. Have a conversation about the classes, the story, the graphics, anything like that. But when it's a bullet-point list of exactly what appears in the article, it's doing us (and yourselves) a disservice. This is certainly more about GamingEverything, but the bullet-pointing is kinda crummy.
I appreciate you explaining it from your perspective.
I think this conversation is worth having to set guidelines here on GAF on what is acceptable and fair.

Unfortunately I'm at the mercy of these bullet point lists. I don't have a tablet to subscribe to the digital issue (tried months ago, and just now again) and I can't complete the registration on GameInformer.com due to OS incompatibility. (I use Linux instead of Win/Mac that seems to be supported.)

Luthos

This was always virtually the case if you were optimizing your Hero/Warden rogues and warriors.

The real flexibility was as a mage. I guess as long as I can dish major damage with spirit/fire and electric, I'll take whatever other restrictions they hand out. Cleaning up with fire in the beginning and then being able to not worry about respeccing to deal with demons/dragons with electric was always something I appreciated. Based on what you're saying, I don't know if that will be possible.

Yeah but Mage specialization choices in DA:O sucked. The only offensive choice was Blood Mage, and if you had any care for role-playing a character, then that could be troublesome for you. Otherwise you have a healer (Spirit Healer), a warrior/tank (Arcane Warrior), or the druid one, which nobody liked.

At least DA2 had Force Mage, which I remember being pretty cool.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Isn't it funny how every Bioware RPG has the same plot?

bwcliches.png

Trigger

I'm really encouraged by everything I'm hearing. It sounds like a lot of effort is being put into the game.

Hindle

Banned
Well, I know ME did that interactive comic/cutscene thing that summarized the story and let you make decisions. They might do something like that

I hope they do.

I never had a decent enough PC for Origins and the console versions looked terrible.

I appreciate you explaining it from your perspective.
I think this conversation is worth having to set guidelines here on GAF on what is acceptable and fair.

Unfortunately I'm at the mercy of these bullet point lists. I don't have a tablet to subscribe to the digital issue (tried months ago, and just now again) and I can't complete the registration on GameInformer.com due to OS incompatibility. (I use Linux instead of Win/Mac that seems to be supported.)

I understand that you want the information, but what you just said kinda sums it up. In your case you can't get the information via digital, but many choose not to pay for it. Either way, it's consuming the paid content without paying for it. There has to be a middle ground.

weevles

I dunno if I like the combat stuff. Sometimes action, can pause but not always? What?

Also, where Morrigan? Not a party member, not a cameo. :(

Sothpaw

I'll be buying the X1 version which is why I'd like a catch up option for the other two games.

Dragon Age 1 Summary:
kill dragon your friend becomes king...you impregnate morrigan

Dragon Age2 Summary:
kill waves of enemies, kill anders, kill some statues the end

I'll be buying the X1 version which is why I'd like a catch up option for the other two games.

Oh, if you have a 360 I'd buy the games and play them. If you're interested in the series and lore, it'd be a shame if you skip them simply because they don't look as good as the PC versions...

Almighty

Well I never thought I would say this, but sounds good. Really good in fact. With that said it will all come down to execution and I still have little faith that Bioware won't find someway to screw it up.

PFD

Three possible races for the player character? This is good news, wasn't it only human before?

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Well I never thought I would say this, but sounds good. Really good in fact. With that said it will all come down to execution and I still have little faith that Bioware won't find someway to screw it up.

Pretty much. At least the graphics look nice, though I still think Witcher 3 looks much better.

gogosox8

This sounds amazing. Would really be impressive if they can pull some of this stuff off. Sounds like their meshing Origins and DA 2 together which would make the game better all around. Very interested in the destructible environments part. Would be pretty cool if there was like a wide cavern you needed to get across and you could have your mage construct a bridge that would let you get across. Still would like to see some gameplay first but this sounds very promising.

Edit: Hope they add controller support for this on the pc. One of my issues with DA 2 was that it felt like it was made with a controller in mind. While that was disappointing, I can handle it if you give the game controller support which they didn't. Was always miffed about that. If the pc version is going to be more like Origins, then it won't be a problem but if its like DA 2, at least give the game proper controller support.

Almighty

Dragon Age 1 Summary:
kill dragon your friend becomes king...you impregnate morrigan

My DA1 always ended with
kill dragon, impregnate Morrigan, I become king(well prince consort if you want to be technical)

Three possible races for the player character? This is good news, wasn't it only human before?

In the second one yes it was human only. The first one had three different races you could be as well.

Top Bottom