• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Game Informer details [Up2: Exploration Skills?]

Sothpaw

Oh, if you have a 360 I'd buy the games and play them. If you're interested in the series and lore, it'd be a shame if you skip them simply because they don't look as good as the PC versions...

Well DA1 on consoles is inferior from gameplay to graphics. DA2 on the other hand is clearly a console game so he wouldn't miss anything there...problem is the game isn't worth the time it takes to play it imo.

ironcreed

Banned
Also, where Morrigan? Not a party member, not a cameo. :(

She is back. We just don't know in what capacity yet. From the E3 trailer:

_68097630_eadragonage.jpg

PFD

Why would you say that?

That's kind of obvious. Can't have sprawling dialogue options with voice acting, the budget would skyrocket. There is merit to both kinds of RPGs, and voice acting does make the game more immersive IMO. But I also enjoyed having 10+ dialogue options in Torment.

Sothpaw

That's kind of obvious. Can't have sprawling dialogue options with voice acting, the budget would skyrocket. There is merit to both kinds of RPGs, and voice acting does make the game more immersive IMO. But I also enjoyed having 10+ dialogue options in Torment.

Yea I am fine with voice in ME because it's a fun mindless shooter type of game. DA can do better than that though, so it's a shame they are using budget on voice acting.

I mean Skyrim sold 9000billion copies...

Well DA1 on consoles is inferior from gameplay to graphics. DA2 on the other hand is clearly a console game so he wouldn't miss anything there...problem is the game isn't worth the time it takes to play it imo.

If someone is interested in the series, why put off playing it completely just because a version is slightly inferior in a couple ways?

Kinthalis

Banned
Oh, if you have a 360 I'd buy the games and play them. If you're interested in the series and lore, it'd be a shame if you skip them simply because they don't look as good as the PC versions...

Well, in DA:O's case at least, it's a lot more than just graphics.

DA:O was essentially a CRPG ported to consoles. The reverse is is probably more the case for DA2.

Combat was more difficult, and set pieces were larger. Many were broken up into separate encounters on console, in order to keep the gameplay manageable for both the hardware and a gamepad. There was also the isometric point of view, perfect for plannign out the tactics of battle, and finally, more recently, mods, to make the game look and play a lot better.

Damn, now I feel like firing up Origins again... that would be my 5th playthrough? Argh!

DA:O was essentially a CRPG ported to consoles. The reverse is is probably more the case for DA2.

Combat was more difficult, and set pieces were larger. Many were broken up into separate encounters on console, in order to keep the gameplay manageable for both the hardware and a gamepad. There was also the isometric point of view, perfect for plannign out the tactics of battle, and finally, more recently, mods, to make the game look and play a lot better.

Damn, now I feel like firing up Origins again... that would be my 5th playthrough? Argh!

True for all that. But what's better? A person excited for DAI, and would like to play the first 2: Skip them completely simply because they're inferior, or at least play them and enjoy them for what they are?

Sothpaw

If someone is interested in the series, why put off playing it completely just because a version is slightly inferior in a couple ways?

OK let's not mince words here. Dragon Age Origins is a different game altogether on PC. There is nothing "slightly" inferior about the console version.

Dragon Age 2 console I agree is only slightly inferior. But, Dragon Age 2 is not a good game and I would never recommend anyone to sit through it.

Kinthalis

Banned

DA:O is totally worth a play through. DA2..... well, I'd at least give the demo a shot.

OK let's not mince words here. Dragon Age Origins is a different game altogether on PC. There is nothing "slightly" inferior about the console version.

Dragon Age 2 console I agree is only slightly inferior. But, Dragon Age 2 is not a good game and I would never recommend anyone to sit through it.

Is that really a reason to just skip the game completely even if a person in interested in playing them but can't get the PC version? "If you can't play the best version, don't play it at all!" Come on....

KKRT00

Saw the scans, it looks really great and info sounds really good, i'm becoming very interested in this and still have DA:O to playthrough :p

Next and end of this year seem like RPG heaven:
Divine Divinity
Project Eternity
The Witcher 3
Wastelands 2
Dragon Age Inquisition

We also kinda know that Two Worlds 3 is in production, so it can land next year too. Shroud of the Avatar is next year too, i think. And there are also those CryEngine RPGs in production: Warhorse and Lichdom
And thats not counting MMOs.

--
And then in 2015
Bioware Star Wars
Cyberpunk 2077
Mass Effect 4
Also rumoured new Obsidian next gen title.
And whatever Bethesda Games is cooking.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Is that really a reason to just skip the game completely even if a person in interested in playing them but can't get the PC version? "If you can't play the best version, don't play it at all!" Come on....
Just to add my own perspective: Played DA:O and DA2 both on consoles, I prefer DA2 to DA:O.

Sothpaw

If there is an interactive comic, then yea I would just skip the 2 console versions. DAO is a gimped version and DA2 is just not worth 40 hours of your life. Just offering my honest advice to a fellow gaffer. Time is precious and there are better ways to spend it.

Nothing on relationships with other characters? They're in, right? All the world and combat info sound great but it would be nice to know characters and dialogue are going to be as important and deep as in DA1.

If there is an interactive comic, then yea I would just skip the 2 console versions. DAO is a gimped version and DA2 is just not worth 40 hours of your life. Just offering my honest advice to a fellow gaffer. Time is precious and there are better ways to spend it.

Guess we'll just agree to disagree, that's just nuts to me. You're acting like DAO is completely unplayable on consoles. I enjoyed it a ton on my PS3 and a person interested in the lore of DA would do a disservice to skip it for a 10 min comic.

Nerokis

Bad advice, in my opinion. My friends and I mostly fell in love with Origins through the 360 version. It's definitely the inferior experience, but "gimped" implies it isn't still very enjoyable, which it is. It's hardly rare for people to play games designed around mouse and keyboard with a gamepad, and I think it's easy enough to adapt to Origins' control scheme.

Nothing on relationships with other characters? They're in, right? All the world and combat info sound great but it would be nice to know characters and dialogue are going to be as important and deep as in DA1.

Nothing, but they're definitely in, don't worry. The GI article talks about how it's still a Bioware game and they're still very much focusing on dialogue and interactions with characters.

Sothpaw

It's hardly rare for people to play games designed around mouse and keyboard with a gamepad, and I think it's easy enough to adapt to Origins' control scheme.

For crpgs it is pretty rare. Anyway he has read the opinions and can decide for himself.

Guess we'll just agree to disagree, that's just nuts to me. You're acting like DAO is completely unplayable on consoles. I enjoyed it a ton on my PS3 and a person interested in the lore of DA would do a disservice to skip it for a 10 min comic.

It runs fine on 360 as well. I had zero problems playing it.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
A FOR AWESOME. I hope Alistair shows up in this game. He's probably my fav companion across both of the first two games.

EDIT: People who think DAO was gimped on consoles obviously didn't play it on the 360 or PS3. I played both games and all DLC on the 360 and although I have the PC versions I haven't yet bothered to play them again since I prefer the controller layout (which was never in the PC version of DAO and was (most probably) removed from the PC version of DA2.)

Staf

Only 5th? Done about 8 on my PS3! ;).

Oh God, this game sounds so much better than it's actually going to be!

Really though, this looks and sounds cool, and if they deliver somewhat on most of those bullet points in the OP they'll have made a pretty damned good game. So yeah Bioware, I'm back in.

Sothpaw

I was going through the Dragon Age games earlier this summer (it was my first replay of DA2 since it came out), and man... they really did fuck up Anders in DA2. Having that guy in my party was always a total drag.

I
killed him
the very first chance I got. The worst part is he is the only healer and Aveline is the only tank. Cool choices Bioware.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
What? You didn't like the pirate whore, plain Jane cop and...Anders?

I liked Anders in DAO:Awakening. DA2's treatment of Anders just felt a little off to me, but maybe it's because
he's possessed
in DA2? (I'm also bummed that Sir Pounce-A-Lot didn't show up.)

I actually liked Avaline quite a bit. I really need to play through DA2 again with an anti-mage focus to see how Isabela, Fenris and Sebastian are like.

In any case, I'm really excited for DA3. I'm a little bummed that I won't be carrying over my saves (both on the 360) as I'm not planning on picking up an Xbox One for a long long time, if ever. I'll most probably be playing this on the PS4.

Sothpaw

I liked Anders in DAO:Awakening. DA2's treatment of Anders just felt a little off to me, but maybe it's because
he's possessed
in DA2? (I'm also bummed that Sir Pounce-A-Lot didn't show up.)

I actually liked Avaline quite a bit. I really need to play through DA2 again with an anti-mage focus to see how Isabela, Fenris and Sebastian are like.

For Aveline I just like my tanks to look...like tanks. If she took a hit from Sten or Shale she would be knocked right on her ass but I'm supposed to pretend she's my main tank?

NZNova

I loved DA1 and enjoyed DA2 well enough although its flaws were definitely grating. 3 looks pretty interesting so far, IMO. I'm looking forward to this one.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
For Aveline I just like my tanks to look...like tanks. If she took a hit from Sten or Shale she would be knocked right on her ass but I'm supposed to pretend she's my main tank?

I always thought she was taller and looked stronger than my rogue Hawke so I never really had a problem with her playing a tank. And while the character interaction isn't as good as it was in DAO, I thought DA2 in general had some great companion characters (with the exception of Merill, who annoyed the piss out of me for some reason). I liked Aveline's VA quite a bit.

Sothpaw

Anyone know what type of character Cassandra will be? I hope she's a paladin type with buffing spells but she looks like a simple tank from her looks. Hope I don't have to make her ride the bench, my dwarf PC does the tanking.

I always thought she was taller and looked stronger than my rogue Hawke so I never really had a problem with her playing a tank.

I'm not comparing her to a rogue Hawke, I'm comparing her to powerhouses like Sten and Shale. I mean unless she looks like Nicole Bass she's not taking a hit from Sten.

Staf

Anyone know what type of character Cassandra will be? I hope she's a paladin type with buffing spells but she looks like a simple tank from her looks. Hope I don't have to make her ride the bench, my dwarf PC does the tanking.

I'm not comparing her to a rogue Hawke, I'm comparing her to powerhouses like Sten and Shale. I mean unless she looks like Nicole Bass she's not taking a hit from Sten.

Same here regarding my dwarf. Front lines isn't for bony fragile humans.

Top Bottom