• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Game Informer details [Up2: Exploration Skills?]

Man, they really need to fix Morrigan's face. At least try to make it look like she did in Origins, not just some generic goth looking person with her hair swept over her eye.

This all sounds decent but with anything BioWare these days, I'll believe it when I see it.

Xamdou

This is my most anticipated game of 2014! Did they mention how my Xbox 360 saves will carry over to the Xbox one?

This is my most anticipated game of 2014! Did they mention how my Xbox 360 saves will carry over to the Xbox one?

Nope, just that they want to have some way to transfer or acknowledge choices from the past.

Looking at some of the screens, it looks very nice but just beyond my usual concerns with recent BioWare, is anyone else not sold on BioWare making a convincing open world game? I mean, yes, it seems like DA3 has been given a ton more time than usual, but looking at some of these screens and adding mounts, I'm wondering whether it'll be a big open world with just big open areas of nothing to do? Kind of like TOR was in my limited time playing that- you had some big areas, but they often ended up with not much to do in them.

Shit on Bethesda as much as you want for shortcomings in Skyrim, but they were able to design a pretty good world, with the geography and people doing things in their daily routines and so forth. That kind of atmosphere is pretty crucial in selling an open world game and its not something I've come to expect from them of late.There really isn't much in modern BioWare's portfolio to make me think they can pull that off here. It'll be interesting to see in any case.

_68097630_eadragonage.jpg

ugh wat

1375829203213.jpg

Moff

This sounds very good

I am very sure Morrigan and especially her baby will have a major role in this game, the whole story of DA1 was basically about it. I dont remember the details but isnt the baby even some ancient dragon reborn?
I believe it will be vital to the saga and the "dragon age"

Really glad enemies don't level with you, customization is possible for all party members, and combat is slowed down and more tactical again. Bioware is mostly still good at listening to feedback I think.

Yoday

So does this mean no controller support on PC from Bioware yet again? Not happy about this at all if it is the case.

ironcreed

Banned

Okay, that got a laugh out of me. But while different, I don't think she quite looks like the new Dante, lol. The character models overall are vastly improved, so I'll take it. Besides, that is from a cutscene in a trailer anyway and much can change from now until next Fall.

I am very sure Morrigan and especially her baby will have a major role in this game, the whole story of DA1 was basically about it. I dont remember the details but isnt the baby even some ancient dragon reborn?
I believe it will be vital to the saga and the "dragon age"

Eh, I'm going to guess Morrigan will be some kind of scheming NPC guide type to tutorialize things early on for the player. She'll be an exposition machine and by the looks of it, be heavily involved in whatever is going on with Orlais, as some advisor, Rasputin type to the Empress there, I bet.

And in the end she'll make some power play or something after its revealed that Flemeth is the one behind the Demon/Fade portal thing and you'll have to decide who you back.

The whole Old God Baby can't be made that important unless BioWare canonizes it or steps up with offering significant unique content based on player choices, since its possible to not even have the God Baby at all or to just have a normal kid with Morrigan.

There's a better one, although its a scan

Eh. It just looks like a generic goth chick. Face wise doesn't resemble Morrigan from Origins much at all.

I'm more curious how they explain away the Warden from Origins that romanced Morrigan and went through the Eluvian portal with her. I guess they could keep him off screen looking after his kid while Morrigan is in Orlais. There are just a ton of variables regarding how the Warden's relationship with Morrigan ended up in Origins and I doubt BioWare will do justice to all of those possibilities.

Gumbie

So does this mean no controller support on PC from Bioware yet again? Not happy about this at all if it is the case.

I tweeted Mike Laidkaw asking that same question. He said people were definitely asking for it but they weren't talking about it yet.

Moff

The whole Old God Baby can't be made that important unless BioWare canonizes it

well, it kinda is important? a demigod with an archdemon soul qualifies for important no matter what?
I think they'll canonize it, its too big to simply be a detail that only some players see consequences of, the only other way would be to ignore it but that would be even more silly because the whole story of DA1 was practically about the demigod baby: the warden is defeated, save by morrigan/flemeth, morrigans is sent with him, romances with him/alistair, they are sent to kill the archdemon and the warden can only survive if the soul is transfered to the baby.
sounds like flemeth planned this all from the beginning, I would be quite disappointed if this was not the central point of the saga.

Yoday

I tweeted Mike Laidkaw asking that same question. He said people were definitely asking for it but they weren't talking about it yet.
Well, actually responding to a question about it is more than we have gotten before, so that is a good sign.

This game will probably be shit, but I'm hoping it's closer to mass effect 2/3 shit than DA2 turbo shit. Bioware RPGs are an awful guilty pleasure to have.

Valnen

Multiplayer in a game like this could actually be really cool if done right. They could probably follow Mass Effect 3's formula to an extent. But since this is an RPG it would be cooler if your single player character carried over into multiplayer. So once you've finished the Single Player the "post game" could be working with other players to bring down extreme bosses that are harder than stuff in the single player.

I'm not comparing her to a rogue Hawke, I'm comparing her to powerhouses like Sten and Shale. I mean unless she looks like Nicole Bass she's not taking a hit from Sten.

I don't see why she couldn't stand against Sten, however Sten looks like he'd be crushed by Shale and all of them looked like they'd be shredded to pieces if they tanked against a dragon so I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Even then the idea of a tank isn't just that they take blows to the face but rather they use their martial prowess to block, parry, and dodge attacks in most cases. She was the best warrior in the series until she became a boy crazed 8 year old, also the only character in DA2 who I didn't want dead up until that point.

ironcreed

Banned
well, it kinda is important? a demigod with an archdemon soul qualifies for important no matter what?
I think they'll canonize it, its too big to simply be a detail that only some players see consequences of, the only other way would be to ignore it but that would be even more silly because the whole story of DA1 was practically about the demigod baby: the warden is defeated, save by morrigan/flemeth, morrigans is sent with him, romances with him/alistair, they are sent to kill the archdemon and the warden can only survive if the soul is transfered to the baby.
sounds like flemeth planned this all from the beginning, I would be quite disappointed if this was not the central point of the saga.

Morrigan will probably just end up being the in-game DLC merchant and she will try to sell you the God Baby pack as premium content.

BabyandSword2.jpg

$9.99

(joking obviously)

Kinda surprised that the default warden is a
Dalish Elf
(unless that just means they sided with them?) . I would've thought they would of used the
Human Noble, considering that's the default for "Hero of Ferelden" in DA2

Not that it really matters since I'll be importing my save, but it'll be interesting to see the options they give to people who are starting with this game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kinda surprised that the default warden is a
Dalish Elf
(unless that just means they sided with them?) . I would've thought they would of used the
Human Noble, considering that's the default for "Hero of Ferelden" in DA2

Not that it really matters since I'll be importing my save, but it'll be interesting to see the options they give to people who are starting with this game.

Given the scope of the other things mentioned in that tweet, I have to assume that's the player character race.

Gbraga

eorl

Banned
So many open-world games. I am in heaven. I really hope DA3 works out well, DA2 really spoiled the brand name for many so it will be good to see BioWare return to its core RPG roots after both DA2 and SWTOR debacles.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of that sounds really good. I will continue to be wary, though. I'm not sure that Bioware can do a big RPG anymore.

delirium

DAI is sounding a lot more promising than a few months ago but I still have my doubts. DA2 was a horrible game. ME3's ending was a monstrosity.

People of Orlais wear very flamboyant clothing. Vivienne solidifies that

Hopefully its not the final build but its a lot better that the previous model on the trailer
I was referring more to the face than anything. In terms of facial features and proportions, the 2 instances we've seen of Morrigan in DA3 don't look much like how her face looked in DA:O.

The thing that broke her face in the trailer was once her mouth started moving, so who knows if they'll nail down the animation.

For the curious, this is the default decision set if you don't import a save and don't change any settings:

DA1:
DAO: Dalish Elf, warden dead, Alistair king
DA2:
DA2: Mage, sides with Mages

https://twitter.com/BioMarkDarrah/status/364864515717873665
https://twitter.com/BioMarkDarrah/status/364861435634913280

Yeah, thats odd at least with Origins, considering I think DA2's default choices for Origins were [Origins spoilers]
Human noble, romanced Morrigan and survived with Alistair king

I just wonder with those defaults if that foreshadows the amount of effort and resources they put into other possibilities regarding consequences from actions in Origins.

Seems Mark Darrah thought it was a
Human Noble
as well
@PotentialyGreat yeah I thought it was
human noble
too but the editors assure me...

Yeah, thats odd at least with Origins, considering I think DA2's default choices for Origins were [Origins spoilers]
Human noble, romanced Morrigan and survived with Alistair king

I just wonder with those defaults if that foreshadows the amount of effort and resources they put into other possibilities regarding consequences from actions in Origins.

Going by Mark Darrah's tweets it's so new players don't get confused by any big references (similar to the default decisions in ME3 he said). But those decisions certainly seem to suggest that
The Warden didn't do the ritual with Morrigan

Going by Mark Darrah's tweets it's so new players don't get confused by any big references (similar to the default decisions in ME3 he said). But those decisions certainly seem to suggest that
The Warden didn't do the ritual with Morrigan

Thats disappointing if true, since the Ritual ending to DAO is the one that leads to the most potentially interesting future.

Now, it would be really cool to see BioWare have that event and the ramifications of it result in wildly divergent consequences in DA3, but this is BioWare we're talking about here not CD Projekt. I'd love to think BioWare would invest resources into something like that, but I'm not betting on it.

Thats disappointing if true, since the Ritual ending to DAO is the one that leads to the most potentially interesting future.

Now, it would be really cool to see BioWare have that event and the ramifications of it result in wildly divergent consequences in DA3, but this is BioWare we're talking about here not CD Projekt. I'd love to think BioWare would invest resources into something like that, but I'm not betting on it.

I think they'll still account for it, just not for the people who don't import saves.

Terra_Ex

I think we both know the answer to that question.

It would but modern bioware is all about not wanting to alienate new players (since theoretical audiences are more important than an existing audience, as we all know) god forbid a new player is locked out of some game content, even if that means squandering the most promising player choice across the series. Would love to be proven wrong, maybe they'll allow choices to be set during the opening (the smart thing to do). Aside from that I've seen all the lip service I expected from them at this stage, I've been waiting for the promised "meaningful consequences" for my choices across bioware's entire software library for years now so maybe this time they'll dazzle us all.

This game is really starting to shape up into something special. I was really disappointed with the year long delay but after seeing everything they're doing with Inquisition it looks like the wait is going to be well worth it.

So many great games coming out over the next year and a half but I think Inquisition is my most anticipated at this point. I adored Origins and DA2 so the fact that they're taking the best of both games and mixing it into one has me really excited. I just love the direction they're taking with this game.

Also Varric and Cassandra confirmed as party members? Freaking awesome.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There was an interesting note about encounter design btw:

Boss:
-They mention an armored dragon. You can have a warrior bash off its leg armor, and then a rogue can poison that leg ones the armor is gone. This causes the dragon to stumble, making it more susceptible to spells.

Regular Fights:
-The enemies generally seem better designed, like prowlers who can sneak up behind you and do a lot of damage, but retreat whenever you try to take them head on, so catching them is tricky. They also try to target out characters with lower life. The mention that on their own they might not be too difficult to fight, but if you have archers pelting you, a two handed warrior throwing people around, and an enchanter buffing and healing your enemies, suddenly the encounter becomes quite difficult and it's much easier for something like a prowler to sneak in and do serious damage on one of your party members.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

They have repeatedly assured on their forum that this specific event will have a notable impact, but yeah, I have no idea if they will follow through.

Nonentity

I would be super happy even if this were just ME3 multiplayer version 2.0 - it did so many things right, I'd love to see the iterations on it.

Top Bottom