• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition PC performance thread

3570k @ 4.0Ghz
EVGA GTX 980 SC
8GB RAM

All settings maxed besides MSAA at 2x and AO at HBAO instead of full. Game is running solid 60 at 1080p. Was getting stuttering issues, but turning off the origin ingame overlay completed fixed it for me, now it's smooth at butter. Having MSAA at 4x was giving me around 45-50fps average, but honestly 2x is enough as the game still looks beautiful(besides the hair lol).

Guys, for some reason yesterday I played with a very variable framerate. I've used all the tips on this thread, such as the cfg file, the commands in the shortcut and lowering AA to MSAA x2.

My rig:

i5 2500k@Stock (have a DH-15, so I can bump it easily)
GTX 970 G1
Asrock Z77 Pro-4 MVP
16GB DDR3@1600 Hyper-X
Crucial M4 128Gb SSD

Any extra advice I should take?

Skyzard

Banned
To get rid of tearing try borderless window mode or if you have an nvidia graphics card possibly force vsync through the nvidia control panel and disable it in-game.

Megasoum...try turning down some settings...I've seen that screen door shit on the grass before, no idea!

Megasoum

Banned
To get rid of tearing try borderless window mode or if you have an nvidia graphics card possibly force vsync through the nvidia control panel and disable it in-game.

Megasoum...try turning down some settings...I've seen that screen door shit on the grass before, no idea!

Yeah I'm gonna play around with the settings tonight but I was somebody would know the exact settings since it'S a pain to restart the game everytime.

Btw anybody know if there's a way to skip the intro videos when you boot the game?

Vitor711

3570k @ 4.0Ghz
EVGA GTX 980 SC
8GB RAM

All settings maxed besides MSAA at 2x and AO at HBAO instead of full. Game is running solid 60 at 1080p. Was getting stuttering issues, but turning off the origin ingame overlay completed fixed it for me, now it's smooth at butter. Having MSAA at 4x was giving me around 45-50fps average, but honestly 2x is enough as the game still looks beautiful(besides the hair lol).

MSAA gave me shimmering on certain textures (chainmail usually) so I disabled it. The Post Processing AA seems to handle the job well enough and I found it to be less distracting.

Running on a 980m maxed at 1080. Had to lock it to 40FPS as the drops to the mid-30s in large towns were annoying.

(Am I crazy for noticing a tangible difference between 30 and 40FPS? I know that screens should display 30 better as it's easier to half the refresh rate and it's not like I have G-sync or anything, but, I don't get stutter or anything and my response time remains solid. Maybe it's just me but I'd take a locked 40 over 30 any day.)

samn

Add -skipintro to the target.

CXhOxwS.png

This is the Dragon Age thread, not FC4? Or does it work for both?

Maffis

I'm running gtx 680 SLI, i7 3770k and 16gb of ram and my fps seems to be around 38-60 in skyhold on ultra settings with MSAA off.

I find the fps drops to be a bit jarring so I have been experimenting with lowering certain options and closing overlays etc. etc, but my fps doesn't change at all. Even with tesselation off it still hovers around 40-60 (mostly 40).

Is it my cpu? I haven't overclocked anything in my PC. Don't want to temper with stuff I have no clue about.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Apparently I'm one of the few that doesn't have any problems with mantle. Using DX11 in Redcliffe I'm getting 25fps sitting in a certain spot. In that same spot with mantle, I'm getting 50fps.

parabolee

I'm using a GTX 980 and I am getting a pretty rock solid 60 (other than cut scenes of course). It's important to remind people to not use the benchmark, it is garbage and does not work. Tells me my average is 45, which I NEVER see anything lower than 57 outside of a cut scene.

Anyone looking to boost performance that is still using MSAA, TURN IT OFF!!!

Seriously it is almost impossible to see the benefit of it! Here are two screenshots, one with 4x MSAA and one with NO MSAA! To prove my point, I am not going to tell you which is which, you are going to need a magnifying glass to figure it out!

The post processing anti-aliasing does a fantastic job with frostbite with hardly any performance cost.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-hhynaLC2gKE/VHObKc9Cc6I/AAAAAAAAbBY/iab_01nczZc/w1916-h1078-no/DragonAgeInquisition%2B2014-11-24%2B01-09-11-64.png

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6VoavCclTcA/VHObKq4QPhI/AAAAAAAAbBc/A4qa01cqYPY/w1916-h1078-no/DragonAgeInquisition%2B2014-11-24%2B01-09-32-75.png

EDIT - Image resolutions fixed

Dmax3901

I'm using a GTX 980 and I am getting a pretty rock solid 60 (other than cut scenes of course). It's important to remind people to not use the benchmark, it is garbage and does not work. Tells me my average is 45, which I NEVER see anything lower than 57 outside of a cut scene.

Seriously it is almost impossible to see the benefit of it! Here are two screenshots, one with 4x MSAA and one with NO MSAA! To prove my point, I am not going to tell you which is which, you are going to need a magnifying glass to figure it out!

The post processing anti-aliasing does a fantastic job with frostbite with hardly any performance cost.

http://s27.postimg.org/ytab65jub/Dragon_Age_Inquisition_2014_11_24_01_09_32_75.png

http://s27.postimg.org/qwptxx8dv/Dragon_Age_Inquisition_2014_11_24_01_09_11_64.png

Not the best resolution for such a comparison...

HooYaH

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-hhynaLC2gKE/VHObKc9Cc6I/AAAAAAAAbBY/iab_01nczZc/w1916-h1078-no/DragonAgeInquisition%2B2014-11-24%2B01-09-11-64.png

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6VoavCclTcA/VHObKq4QPhI/AAAAAAAAbBc/A4qa01cqYPY/w1916-h1078-no/DragonAgeInquisition%2B2014-11-24%2B01-09-32-75.png

The post processing AA is good, but I can tell there are somethings that still aren't covered when I'm playing the game. 4xMSAA isn't needed, but with 2x it remedied most jaggies and gives the game a more crisper appearance than with it off.

didamangi

the game keeps crashing over and over

some directx error. Very sad port and why the fuck does this game run worse than BF4? WTF?

Disable any overlays, including Origin's. Also fraps, msi afterburner, nvidia shadowplay, steam, etc. Crashes went away after I disabled them.

Hopefully they're working on a patch to address this, always handy having steam overlay to chat and share screenshots.

JohngPR

The biggest problem I have with Mantle is that despite giving me better overall framerate, it really jerks around and hitches when the framerate goes below 60. Therefore, even though the framerate is overall higher compared to DX11, the drops are way more pronounced and dramatic. I opted to use DX11, turn off MSAA, enable tripple buffering via config file, disable motion blur, and set tesselation to Medium which gives me the same framerate that Mantle does with very minimal loss in visual IQ.

The framerate drops are way less noticeable too thanks to the triple buffering. Being able to take screenshots again is nice too. :p

Megasoum

Banned
So I was running the game with the "High" preset and was getting mostly 60fps but dips all the way to the low 40s from time to time so I finally said fuck it and decided to cap it at 30 but max out the graphics options.

Now my game is running at a solid 30 but the game looks....weird.... Like I'm often seeing pop-in when the camera changes from scene to scene and all the shadows are looking really weird...kinda fuzzy and jittering.

Also, speaking of jittering the game is rock solid 30 but it doesn't really feel smooth. I'm not sure how to explain that. Maybe it's just my brain that needs to adjust to playing at 30fps but it feels like it's not smooth even if the fps are staying at 30.

I'm using that command to cap the FPS.

-GameTime.MaxSimFps 30 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 30 -GameTime.MaxVariableFPS 30

Another weird effect is that it looks like the I'm watching the folliage on the ground through a screen door

Ck1zoV4.jpg

Anybody has any ideas on how I could fix the different issues?

Quoting myself from the previous page. Anybody has any ideas on how to fix the issues? Especial the weird shimmering shadows and the screendoor effect.

Shepard

I have a 980 and still get quite some drops (to the ~40s) in some areas (like the hinterlands big camp). Are you running everything on ultra?

komorebi

Quoting myself from the previous page. Anybody has any ideas on how to fix the issues? Especial the weird shimmering shadows and the screendoor effect.

I haven't seen anything like this in my game. I've jumped back and forth between every 60 and 30 fps trick including all command lines, overlays, and control panel fiddling.

In the beginning I used these commands only:

-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+

With this I used adaptive v-sync in NVCP and in-game v-sync toggled on with a mixture of High/Medium/Low settings (Asus GTX770 2GB).

Today I've been experimenting with a locked 30fps and upped all the settings (Ultra/High, no MSAA). However, I'm not using any command lines with this setup. I've also disabled v-sync in game, toggled 30fps frame rate limit in NV Inspector for the cap, and have it set to windowless full screen. This is the smoothest 30fps configuration I've found so far with no tearing or stuttering.

Try these settings out or at the very least start over from scratch with all your settings, command lines, etc.

harpingon

Neo Member
Current setup wasn't working, so I just went for a R9 285

It's not the world's greatest card, but I'm hoping for much better things than the Kaveri/240 dual graphics setup. This had served me remarkably well until this game and I hate to not use the GPU side of the APU, but ... Next thing will be the CPU performance but hopefully the 285 won't be fast enough to make my CPU struggle :)

parabolee

I have a 980 and still get quite some drops (to the ~40s) in some areas (like the hinterlands big camp). Are you running everything on ultra?

Wow, that would upset me. Do you have any overlays turned on? I have Origin and Shadowplay off but I am using FRAPS for screenshots and when I need to check my fps (which is never at this point).

Yeah everything on Ultra and "Fade touched" textures. Never seen a drop below 57 outside of those cut scenes.

I have an out of the box overclocked MSI 980 (Gaming 4G), 16GB RAM and an i7-440K.

SURGEdude

Sorry if this has already been addressed. But is there something like FRAPS that supports Mantle? I'd like to have a definitive answer on what the boost is on my rig. Thanks!

Shepard

Wow, that would upset me. Do you have any overlays turned on? I have Origin and Shadowplay off but I am using FRAPS for screenshots and when I need to check my fps (which is never at this point).

Yeah everything on Ultra and "Fade touched" textures. Never seen a drop below 57 outside of those cut scenes.

I have an out of the box overclocked MSI 980 (Gaming 4G), 16GB RAM and an i7-440K.

Yeah, no overlays, everything on Ultra and I get some dips to the ~40s in places with many NPCs. I guess my decision to buy a non-K i5 3570 is coming back to bite me... :\

KePoW

Banned
So, to summarize this thread, my 660ti isn't going to cut it for current gen gaming.

No I wouldn't say that.

I have a real life friend with a 560 ti, and he's running at Medium settings at pretty consistent 30 fps.

Now if you're expecting Ultra settings at 60 fps on your card, then that's not realistic.

For those who wanted the game to be more action-ey like Skyrim/Witcher 2, there's a guide for PC users. You don't have to hold right click anymore to move the camera while you move your character, and you can lock targets by clicking middle mouse button, etc. I found this on Bioware forum:
Left Click: basic attack.
Right Click: block/parry.
Side Button 1: toggle free cam that follows mouse movement without having to hold down right button.
Side Button 2: original functions of right click, such as marking map or highlighting enemy.
Space: dodge/roll.
Middle Click: lock target/switch target.
E: cancel target lock.
Home: toggle all hotkeys on or off. Useful when entering text, i.e. renaming crafted gear.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/524996-guide-pc-controls-fix-ahk/

moop1167

For those who wanted the game to be more action-ey like Skyrim/Witcher 2, there's a guide for PC users. You don't have to hold right click anymore to move the camera while you move your character, and you can lock targets by clicking middle mouse button, etc. I found this on Bioware forum:

Ew, why would anyone want a Dragon Age game more "action-ey?"

garath

Guys, for some reason yesterday I played with a very variable framerate. I've used all the tips on this thread, such as the cfg file, the commands in the shortcut and lowering AA to MSAA x2.

My rig:

i5 2500k@Stock (have a DH-15, so I can bump it easily)
GTX 970 G1
Asrock Z77 Pro-4 MVP
16GB DDR3@1600 Hyper-X
Crucial M4 128Gb SSD

Any extra advice I should take?

Over clock that CPU. Game is pretty CPU hungry so the stock speed is holding you back. Get it to 4.2ghz at least.

ShogunX

What settings are you using for your Shadows, foliage, mesh, ambient occlusion and post processing AA?

Jtrizzy

Tinkered with this endlessly last night, and there are really only two things I'm turning down from max settings.

1. turn off MSAA. I do this in any modern game, especially the ones to come out in the last week or two.

2. Tessellation to medium. You can still see nice effects on the bricks etc and makes the biggest difference performance wise.

I'm getting 60 mostly with drops in the mid 50's now, as opposed to low 50's dropping all through the 40's with tessellation on ultra (still no msaa)

970/2600k@4.4

alife

What's up with Redcliffe? Place is a lag fest. Running settings on Ultra with Resolution Scale - 100, Mesh - High, Tessellation - Off, Shadows - Low, SSAO, and Post-Process AA - Low; 60 FPS throughout The Hinterlands (With the exception of the big camp location - 40+), that something Mire location with the undead mofos, The Storm Coast, and drops to around 45-55 in Val Royeau and some spots in Haven. Turned down everything to the lowest settings/off and Redcliffe runs at ~20 FPS still. I presume this may be due to an issue regarding NPC rendering, yeah?

Far Cry 4: Redcliffe.

Top Bottom