• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition PC performance thread

Anyone have the game drop to like 1-10 fps after like an hour of gameplay? It could be my hdd since it does make a lot of noise and I think it's about to crap out

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I have a i5/7970 with similar settings except PP high.

If I drop the resolution scale by one notch, it manages cling to 60fps most of the time.

Ohh...OK, might try this... you mean the resolution slider? (not dial it back to on the resolution settings eh?).

So I played 3 hours of the game so far today for the first time. Loving it so far and hitting 60fps at 1080p, everything set to Ultra, with 2x MSAA.

My setup

780ti
I7 4770k - 4.6 ghz

I do however have the hitching / stutter problem in cutscenes. It makes no sense as the game is running a flawless 60 fps for me so far. Hopefully Bioware patches this soon.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
i7 3770k 3.5ghz stock with turbo always on (gets up to 3,9ghz), 2x780GTX and running mostly 60+ with everything at ultra (2x msaa), though this excludes areas high on NPCs where I get drops into the low 20-30s. Trying to figure out if it's a driver related issue as my CPU is only at 50% usage for some reason, so it does not appear to be that.

Earlier I had constant stuttering and drops, but that was almost completely resolved after I turned off shadowplay.

Anyone got ideas on what the performance hog could be here since it only occur in areas with high NPC counts?

EDIT:
So I played 3 hours of the game so far today for the first time. Loving it so far and hitting 60fps at 1080p, everything set to Ultra, with 2x MSAA.

My setup

780ti
I7 4770k - 4.6 ghz

I do however have the hitching / stutter problem in cutscenes. It makes no sense as the game is running a flawless 60 fps for me so far. Hopefully Bioware patches this soon.

Have you tried this from the OP?
-GameTime.ForceSimRate 59.94+ -GameTime.MaxVariableFPS 59.94 -GameTime.MaxSimFps 59.94

That solved the stuttering for me at least.

Da:I works great on my xbox one. Sure is great to turn it on and play without having to fuss with drivers and such :D

I started off as a dwarf archer rogue, but I think I might like a 2h warrior more. Should I start over or just have a warrior in my party and play that?

Edit: mas texts

Renekton

Ohh...OK, might try this... you mean the resolution slider? (not dial it back to on the resolution settings eh?).
Yea it's the first slider in your Graphics settings, not the actual resolution.

You can make it render internally at lower res then upscale to your native.

Kinthalis

Banned
Da:I works great on my xbox one. Sure is great to turn it on and play without having to fuss with drivers and such :D

I started off as a dwarf archer rogue, but I think I might like a 2h warrior more. Should I start over or just have a warrior in my party and play that?

The Xbone version crashed twice for me. MY PC version nto only looks way better, runs way better, but hasn't crashed once ;)

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
MSAA is really expensive in this game, i have most settings on ultra, but the MSAA off cause it slashes 5-10 fps from performance. Was thinking about using the post-processing AA in the graphics options, but it seems to blur detail/sharpness quite a bit, or is it just me?

has anyone else noticed some weird surround sound mixing? sometimes it's almost impossible to hear dialogue when characters are in front of me, but it's a decent volume when they're behind me. Speakers are carefully calibrated and so on.

Troll post? Troll post.

But, just in case, this thread isn't about the xbone or party recommendations. You want the OT.

has anyone else noticed some weird surround sound mixing? sometimes it's almost impossible to hear dialogue when characters are in front of me, but it's a decent volume when they're behind me. Speakers are carefully calibrated and so on.

Did you check your audio options in-game to make sure it's not set to headset or similar?

komorebi

The sound mix in this game is terrible. I'm using the standard 2.1 setup and often have to crank the volume and swing the camera angled up in between two characters to hear anything.

People need to check their audio settings because I think it defaults to surround sound and I only have a 2.1 setup but prefer to use my headphones. Set it to headphones and have had no issues with sound mixing or anything audio related.

Naturally that's the first thing I checked. I've tried TV, Surround, and Headphones. They're all crap on speakers. Haven't tried with headphones because I don't want to game that way.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
People need to check their audio settings because I think it defaults to surround sound and I only have a 2.1 setup but prefer to use my headphones. Set it to headphones and have had no issues with sound mixing or anything audio related.

Miskonius

Neo Member
Well, not only that the game is a disappointment there are still bugs characteristic for Frostbyte 3 that havent been fixed since Bf4.
I just teleported from one side of a map to another:

KrIBwE.jpg

BPoole

I'm having the same issue. Anytime there is dialogue I crank up the volume with my keyboard control. If I leave it at that volume and go into combat it's overly loud.

MSAA is really expensive in this game, i have most settings on ultra, but the MSAA off cause it slashes 5-10 fps from performance. Was thinking about using the post-processing AA in the graphics options, but it seems to blur detail/sharpness quite a bit, or is it just me?

I just use SMAA tbh.

I'm going to miss it if they fix the stuttering on Mantle.

Wag

This game locks up my setup a lot. It's damn frustrating. That and the SLI flicker is really annoying me to no end.

Ive got a i7 920, 6 gigs of RAM, a GTX 750Ti running on Windows 7. Everything runs pretty well. Im pretty happy with my graphics and fps, but my loading times are teerrrrrrrrrriiiible.

TERRIBLE!!!

I dont know whats causing it, haha.

Something about the depth of field rendering on ultra HATES my titans. To the point where the warning screen about not quitting the game when "this icon is displayed" runs at like 10fps, making the game take an extra minute to boot to the title screen.

komorebi

Ive got a i7 920, 6 gigs of RAM, a GTX 750Ti running on Windows 7. Everything runs pretty well. Im pretty happy with my graphics and fps, but my loading times are teerrrrrrrrrriiiible.

TERRIBLE!!!

I dont know whats causing it, haha.

V-Sync increases them, but capping the frame rate will DOUBLE the loading times.

The sound mix in this game is terrible. I'm using the standard 2.1 setup and often have to crank the volume and swing the camera angled up in between two characters to hear anything.

Naturally that's the first thing I checked. I've tried TV, Surround, and Headphones. They're all crap on speakers. Haven't tried with headphones because I don't want to game that way.
I had trouble hearing characters as well, not sure if it actually worked, but I set the dialogue volume to 2.0 in the ProfileOptions_profile file and it seems to have increased the dialogue volume to where I can actually hear what they are saying over everything else.

ELCID777

Neo Member
This game is completely unplayable for me with crossfire enabled, it works ok during gameplay, sort of, but goes to a complete hitch fest once cut scenes start, rendering it unplayable for me. The hitches are severe. They lock up the game for several seconds at a time before resuming. It's terrible.

With single GPU, the hitching is pretty much gone or greatly reduced. WTF is up with all of these big titles in recent months not properly supporting dual GPU's? This is becoming a terrible trend.

Also, none of the fixes helped the hitching. Sigh...

ELCID777

Neo Member

Nope. not just you. The post-processing AA blurs the shit out of the game. I don't notice it that much during gameplay, but it's very noticeable in screens. That's why I'm rolling with MSAA now, much sharper image.

komorebi

I had trouble hearing characters as well, not sure if it actually worked, but I set the dialogue volume to 2.0 in the ProfileOptions_profile file and it seems to have increased the dialogue volume to where I can actually hear what they are saying over everything else.

I'll give it a try when I play later tonight, thanks for the tip.

Hmmm... how do I go about uncapping the frame rate then?

I think im gonna bite the bullet and get an SSD though anyway. haha

Just make sure V-sync is off both in game and in any control panels if you forced it, and make sure you're not capping it with something like RivaTuner, etc. Borderless windowed mode will counteract the screen tearing.

SSD helps wonders but I moved this game back to one of my 7200rpm HDDs because I also wanted to reinstall BF4 and my SSD wouldn't like that. I don't think the loading times are that bad tbh.

KePoW

Banned
Nope. not just you. The post-processing AA blurs the shit out of the game. I don't notice it that much during gameplay, but it's very noticeable in screens. That's why I'm rolling with MSAA now, much sharper image.

Disagree.

I tested it extensively by comparing identical frame screenshots with AA completely off, and PP AA at Medium

I would only call it slight blurring with the PP AA (while doing a very good job at AA). I certainly would not call it extreme blur by any means. Maybe people have different definitions of blur tolerance. But DA3 definitely does a much better job at PP AA compared to games a couple years ago when FXAA first came out.

(This was not in cinematics though, because you can't pause those for identical frames. I did all my comparisons in the game world.)

I'll give it a try when I play later tonight, thanks for the tip.

Just make sure V-sync is off both in game and in any control panels if you forced it, and make sure you're not capping it with something like RivaTuner, etc. Borderless windowed mode will counteract the screen tearing.

SSD helps wonders but I moved this game back to one of my 7200rpm HDDs because I also wanted to reinstall BF4 and my SSD wouldn't like that. I don't think the loading times are that bad tbh.

Hmmm, I dont have v-sync forced anywhere that I know of. Nvidia control panel says 'use the 3D applications setting' and I havent downloaded anything to force v-sync. at least not knowingly. haha

edit: I dont think the load times are that bad for most people. For me though, they are somewhere around a full minute long. maybe even worse sometimes, at least they feel much worse, haha.

Edit2: Just loading into Skyhold took 1m20s. 50 seconds and the tips loading screen gave up and gave me 30 more seconds of black screen loading. haha. But loading back into Hinterlands only took 40 seconds, so thats ok with me.

I think it helped, thanks!

komorebi

Hmmm, I dont have v-sync forced anywhere that I know of. Nvidia control panel says 'use the 3D applications setting' and I havent downloaded anything to force v-sync. at least not knowingly. haha

edit: I dont think the load times are that bad for most people. For me though, they are somewhere around a full minute long. maybe even worse sometimes, at least they feel much worse, haha.

Edit2: Just loading into Skyhold took 1m20s. 50 seconds and the tips loading screen gave up and gave me 30 more seconds of black screen loading. haha. But loading back into Hinterlands only took 40 seconds, so thats ok with me.

I think it helped, thanks!

What's your drive speed? I get probably 40~ ish seconds loading up my save for the first time. I've noticed that if I close the game completely and restart it (for example when changing graphics settings) my game doesn't take as long.

Long story short SSD is much better. I wish I could keep all my games on it but alas.

What's your drive speed? I get probably 40~ ish seconds loading up my save for the first time. I've noticed that if I close the game completely and restart it (for example when changing graphics settings) my game doesn't take as long.

Long story short SSD is much better. I wish I could keep all my games on it but alas.

Standard drive speed, 7200rpm.

Load times have never been a big issue for me in any other game. This is the first time they seem kind of ridiculous, especially when I dont hear people complaining about the loads. Im normally not really a stickler for load times either, I mean ive played 30 hours of this game with load times around 2 minutes, so clearly its not a major issue for me, but if I can make it faster then great.

it definitely seems like your fix has brought my load times down, but they are still what most people would call 'long'.

elelunicy

I don't know. Here's a comparison between the post-processing AA and 4xMSAA. The post-processing AA actually does a much better job at eliminating aliasing and doesn't really blur any textures.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/101962

Braag

I noticed this as well. MSAA is really taxing in this game.
The post processing AA is FXAA so yeah it makes everything blurry. I usually hate FXAA but games that use Frostbite engine look almost too crips without it and even at 4x MSAA there's a lot of aliasing left which only FXAA can get rid of.

bobeth

I noticed the same thing (xonar DG in surround mode). I sometimes have to turn around to hear the dialogue properly..

What's your CPU, GPU, RAM? We need details.

Well, I have a A10-4600 M 2.3 Ghz, unlocked to 2.7 on all 4 cores with Crossfire 7660G/7300M 2 GB VRAM, 8 GB total. I think I can play on 1366 X 768 on low, maybe a mix of medium low settings. My bro has an i5 processor, not sure on further details, but if my system can play it, I know his can. So I think I can get prob 30 fps (on my system), am I wrong?

I can also unlock all cores to 3.2 GHZ as well.

Corsick

Hi everyone, I just got a second monitor and am having some small issues. First of all, my new monitor is set as the primary and It's a dell ultra sharp u2414h. Sometimes when I open up DA:I on it, the screen goes black right away with all the sounds working but nothing displaying. What fixes this is setting my monitors to duplicate the desktop on both, then switching back to extend displays. This is inconvenient and I was looking to see what I could do to fix it. I did manage to install Nview desktop manager to extend my taskbar to both monitors (using windows 7 64bit) but couldn't get the clock and icon tray to the secondary monitor. I was wondering if anyone else has had any odd issues like this. Another thing that is a bit frustrating is that I was somehow able to get the game to run fine on my new monitor in borderless windowed mode where it would NOT bring up the taskbar on top of the bottom of the game and cut off the sound when I clicked on something on my other monitor. I don't know how I did this but it was nice when I didn't want part of the game obscured or sound cut off when I did something on my other display. Not sure if anyone could help with these things but any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

samn

Well, I have a A10-4600 M 2.3 Ghz, unlocked to 2.7 on all 4 cores with Crossfire 7660G/7300M 2 GB VRAM, 8 GB total. I think I can play on 1366 X 768 on low, maybe a mix of medium low settings. My bro has an i5 processor, not sure on further details, but if my system can play it, I know his can. So I think I can get prob 30 fps (on my system), am I wrong?

I can also unlock all cores to 3.2 GHZ as well.

I would say you meet the minimum requirements, I haven't been able to find reports of people running the game on such a low spec though.

Miskonius

Neo Member
This game is completely unplayable for me with crossfire enabled, it works ok during gameplay, sort of, but goes to a complete hitch fest once cut scenes start, rendering it unplayable for me. The hitches are severe. They lock up the game for several seconds at a time before resuming. It's terrible.

With single GPU, the hitching is pretty much gone or greatly reduced. WTF is up with all of these big titles in recent months not properly supporting dual GPU's? This is becoming a terrible trend.

Also, none of the fixes helped the hitching. Sigh...

Have you tried running it under Mantle?

So after my last hard lock -> process kill, I noticed that Realtek audio manager was using an alarming amount of memory. 1.2 GB. I tested Alien: Isolation for comparison, and during gameplay it gets to 20MB, and drops down to 8 after I quit to desktop. It did not return to 8mb after DA:I force quit.

Shaldome

no, but they do have significantly lower cpu overhead on their dx11 drivers.

They will use DirectX 12 which does the same thing, if I understood correctly.

For the DXGI ERROR DEVICE HUNG I tried all the solutions here (reinstalling DirectX and Visual C runtimes from the game folder), but it still crashed. After the crash my card as reset to factory overclock and it ran fine after that. So I lowered my overclock settings a bit and had no problem since then. If you have overclocked your card(s) you might want to play the game at stock and see if that fixes it for you.

Top Bottom