• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser |OT| Loyal bands and murderous hands

People always want their current protagonist back huh?

yep.

I think one of the few instances it wasn't the case was with Hawke, largely because people were confusing negative feelings towards the game as a whole with Hawke who can be a pretty great character if you make him sarcastic.

The inquisitor on the other hand was such a bore. His best jokes were childish at best. The only time I really liked him was when he was pranking people.

Generally im all for new protagonists. But by the end of the DLC my Badass Dwarf Assassin had a
fucking cross bow arm
and was setting himself up as a
jaded nick fury type

I adore the inquisitor - esp angry inquisitor

Generally im all for new protagonists. But by the end of the DLC my Badass Dwarf Assassin had a
fucking cross bow arm
jaded nick fury type

wait what?

I missed the
crossbow arm
. Did this happen for everybody or just rogues?

jonjonaug

wait what?

I missed the
crossbow arm
. Did this happen for everybody or just rogues?

One of the epilogue slides has this. If you're friends (not lovers) with Sera, you get a scene where she asks you if you want to hang with the Red Jennies after everything is done (lovers get marriage related scenes instead). If you answer yes, you a slide of the Inquisitor hanging out with Sera doing mischief, and they have a crossbow arm with a grappling hook on it.

Just finished a little while ago and I enjoyed it. Great setup for the next game and I'm hyped to see where this goes.
Cant wait to get to Tevinter! Just let me keep my inquisitor, Cassandra and Dorian and I'm good to go. Would also love to check out Nevarra as well.

People always want their current protagonist back huh?

I'd want to at least be able to play as my old protagonist for brief story sequences (think Ciri in The Witcher) if BioWare feels the need to keep bringing back old companions / love interests in big, main story plots like Solas or Morrigan. That's my issue. I'm fine with a new player character each game provided that BioWare stops bringing back so many old companions in major plot roles. If we're going to be forced to deal with old companions like Morrigan or Solas in future games, it would be more engaging to interact with them through the old Player Character that actually has some emotional ties to them and not just some New Guy that has no ties to them.

I don't really want to play another full game as the Inquisitor or the Warden or Hawke, but I think it would be nice if you could play as them for brief segments should the overarching story call for it. That way you don't have to worry about your old player characters acting out of character in cameos or having them mysteriously absent from events when you'd logically think they'd be present, like the Warden in DAI, especially if they romanced Morrigan.

I'm a little bummed hearing about these
"marriage scenes"
because Cassandra was my romance choice and ended up being the Divine in my original playthrough.
But then it showed her in regular uniform in the after credits scene with my other advisers
, a little confused lol... That wasn't my intention in the base game, I was trying to dissuade her from doing it but showing enough support so as not to sound like a selfish ass...

One of the epilogue slides has this. If you're friends (not lovers) with Sera, you get a scene where she asks you if you want to hang with the Red Jennies after everything is done (lovers get marriage related scenes instead). If you answer yes, you a slide of the Inquisitor hanging out with Sera doing mischief, and they have a crossbow arm with a grappling hook on it.

ah

well I told her
that I will always be her friend but that I was't joining the jennies

I'm a little bummed hearing about these
"marriage scenes"
because Cassandra was my romance choice and ended up being the Divine in my original playthrough.
But then it showed her in regular uniform in the after credits scene with my other advisers
, a little confused lol... That wasn't my intention in the base game, I was trying to dissuade her from doing it but showing enough support so as not to sound like a selfish ass...

I didn't get that? What the fuck
I told her that maybe we should get married. She wasn't the divine in mine. She went on to continue rebuilding the seekers and her and the inquisitor would meet up every now and then

Can someone confirm this?

I told her that maybe we should get married. She wasn't the divine in mine. She went on to continue rebuilding the seekers and her and the inquisitor would meet up every now and then

I don't know if she had a scene like that, just meant I know some of the romances supposedly got scenes like that? If Cassandra's is the same whether she was Divine or not, then that's fine I guess.

diaspora

I think we should make peace with us not playing as the Inquisitor in future titles sooner rather than later.
ah

well I told her
that I will always be her friend but that I was't joining the jennies

Off screen thing. She says they'll do it after the Council which is good enough for me whether or not they add it to the epilogue.

I never finished Jaws of Hakken and never played any of the dlcs. Are they worth finishing before playing Trespasser? Do they add anything of value to the story?

Thanks!

Yeul

I'd want to at least be able to play as my old protagonist for brief story sequences (think Ciri in The Witcher) if BioWare feels the need to keep bringing back old companions / love interests in big, main story plots like Solas or Morrigan. That's my issue. I'm fine with a new player character each game provided that BioWare stops bringing back so many old companions in major plot roles. If we're going to be forced to deal with old companions like Morrigan or Solas in future games, it would be more engaging to interact with them through the old Player Character that actually has some emotional ties to them and not just some New Guy that has no ties to them.

I don't really want to play another full game as the Inquisitor or the Warden or Hawke, but I think it would be nice if you could play as them for brief segments should the overarching story call for it. That way you don't have to worry about your old player characters acting out of character in cameos or having them mysteriously absent from events when you'd logically think they'd be present, like the Warden in DAI, especially if they romanced Morrigan.

This is exactly what I hope happens.

diaspora

I never finished Jaws of Hakken and never played any of the dlcs. Are they worth finishing before playing Trespasser? Do they add anything of value to the story?

Thanks!

If you play Trespasser you can't go back to the same character and finish Hakkon. As for Trespasser- I found it pretty great.

Turns out there ARE differences in the Crossroads if you play as an elf, although the way Sera describes it seems to imply that she sees it even crazier than you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqOyGh4gaUE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljJhRNr2wXA

So... seems like none of those crazy theories implying that
Sera as Andruil are even remotely correct, since Solas sealed the evanuris away and I'm pretty sure Andruil had the Blight

What happens if you bring Iron Bull with you in your party? I always take Dorian, Varric and Cassandra with me so I'm curious. Dude came out of nowhere and stabbed me in the back.
Ballsy Bioware, ballsy.

iNvid02

this was excellent, put the other two pieces to shame. there's closure, but i feel even more attached to my inquisitor at this point, she needs to be the one to
resolve this future threat
, arggh bioware!

What happens if you bring Iron Bull with you in your party? I always take Dorian, Varric and Cassandra with me so I'm curious. Dude came out of nowhere and stabbed me in the back.
Ballsy Bioware, ballsy.

same result for me

reaction to
iron bull turning was exacerbated by the fact that i had just found a great level 25 amulet and decided to equip it on him literally moments before "BAS". god damn it.

same result for me

reaction to
iron bull turning was exacerbated by the fact that i had just found a great level 25 amulet and decided to equip it on him literally moments before "BAS". god damn it.
So he also turned on you? What happened afterward? It reduced you down to two squadmates?

iNvid02

So he also turned on you? What happened afterward? It reduced you down to two squadmates?

yeah just cassandra and cole left which made things slightly more difficult. although i didnt really notice it at the time due to all the stuff going on, and having just seen the iron bull explode, shits cray

he turns on you regardless from what i've heard, even if romanced you still get "sorry BAS" lol

Squire

Banned
fucking cross bow arm
jaded nick fury type

It's funny you mention that! Dunno if you've heard of it/read it, but it occurred to me
how much the ending of Trespasser resembles what happened to Nick Fury and how he formed the Secret Warriors afterward. That, combined with what we know about the social structure of Tevinter, is what makes me think the next game will largely be about espionage.

diaspora

It's funny you mention that! Dunno if you've heard of it/read it, but it occurred to me
how much the ending of Trespasser resembles what happened to Nick Fury and how he formed the Secret Warriors afterward. That, combined with what we know about the social structure of Tevinter, is what makes me think the next game will largely be about espionage.
Everything was SHIELD.

Ballsy Bioware, ballsy.

did we have the exact same party?

as to the spoilered discussion, that seems a bit silly considering
the qun tried to kill his loyal team and you spared them

what a dick

I really hope we get to play as the inquisitor in 4. Otherwise I wanna see all 3 previous protagonists and I want updates on their lives. Real updates, not that Merrill is helping her people crap.

Also the battle system needs to be redone, they should use dragons dogma and only that as a base.

diaspora

I really hope we get to play as the inquisitor in 4. Otherwise I wanna see all 3 previous protagonists and I want updates on their lives. Real updates, not that Merrill is helping her people crap.

Also the battle system needs to be redone, they should use dragons dogma and only that as a base.
Prepare yourself for disappointment. I think it's all but guaranteed they'll show up, but they're not going to be the lead character I think. It'd be antithetical to the entire point of the series.

Squire

Banned

You're definitely getting the bolded and probably not the inquisitor as the MC, either.

People need to chill with the thirst to see very blatant things that's only be there because of old choices and consider what will actually make for a good story.

What you're describing would be so contrived. You wouldn't like it that much in practice, I guarantee.

Prepare yourself for disappointment. I think it's all but guaranteed they'll show up, but they're not going to be the lead character I think. It'd be antithetical to the entire point of the series.

You're definitely getting the bolded and probably not the inquisitor as the MC, either.

People need to chill with the thirst to see very blatant things that's only be there because of old choices and consider what will actually make for a good story.

What you're describing would be so contrived. You wouldn't like it that much in practice, I guarantee.
I know:(

Huh? I
saved the Chargers and was always friendly to him. He still betrayed me.

You goofed somewhere or there's a bug. He's supposed to stay if
Tal-Vashoth

I'll go with the second post here as I wasn't
betrayed
to be fair I never brought him as a party member I guess.

Also there were other awkward bugs throughout the game. During an early conversation there was an ominous tone and I was awkwardly transported to my inquisitor in an opera being asked if I liked it.

I was all "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh"

jgwhiteus

Huh? I
saved the Chargers and was always friendly to him. He still betrayed me.

Huh, I did the same and it didn't turn out that way for me.
He remained loyal - although I never brought him on missions so technically he wouldn't have had the opportunity to betray me.

Just finished it tonight; probably going to go through the ending again at some point to see how different choices / dialogue affect things. It was a good DLC, but at some points I felt like I'd missed some key scenes or had skipped ahead in the dialogue - it didn't help that there were a lot of buggy cuts which made it seem like cutscenes or dialogue had been cut short.

I had a question - is the level always capped at 27, or can it possibly go higher if you have the other DLC installed? I think I hit a cap at 27 for my Inquisitor near the end, but if I'd played through the other DLC and had already hit 27, would I not have gained any experience at all the entire DLC?

EDIT: also, was anyone able to get all the chests in the first area, the Elven Mountain Ruin? There was one that was across a chasm that seemed accessible by another Eluvian, but I couldn't find a way to get to it. Also, there seemed to be a treasure area in the basement with a floating chalice or something behind a locked gate.

jonjonaug

I'll go with the second post here as I wasn't
betrayed
to be fair I never brought him as a party member I guess.

Also there were other awkward bugs throughout the game. During an early conversation there was an ominous tone and I was awkwardly transported to my inquisitor in an opera being asked if I liked it.

I was all "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh"

That was intentional and a joke. Josephine goes "Hey Inquisitor I'll take you to the opera it'll be nice" and you go "Oh sure that sounds *cut* what the fuck was that".

I had a question - is the level always capped at 27, or can it possibly go higher if you have the other DLC installed? I think I hit a cap at 27 for my Inquisitor near the end, but if I'd played through the other DLC and had already hit 27, would I not have gained any experience at all the entire DLC?

EDIT: also, was anyone able to get all the chests in the first area, the Elven Mountain Ruin? There was one that was across a chasm that seemed accessible by another Eluvian, but I couldn't find a way to get to it. Also, there seemed to be a treasure area in the basement with a floating chalice or something behind a locked gate.

Hard level cap is 27, yes. I think the floating chalice is an easter egg of some sort, there's one in the main game too.

That was intentional and a joke. Josephine goes "Hey Inquisitor I'll take you to the opera it'll be nice" and you go "Oh sure that sounds *cut* what the fuck was that".

Hard level cap is 27, yes. I think the floating chalice is an easter egg of some sort, there's one in the main game too.
If it was meant as a joke it felt incredibly awkward in execution as the game had done nothing like that prior.

Overall I really enjoyed the DLC. I've played most of the Origins and DA2 DLCs and this was the one that really felt like it was part of the main game in terms of production values. You had all the companions talking when you figured they should talk and you had mostly all new environments. The music was really great too.

I kind of figured there would be a little more closure at the end but it sets up the next DA pretty nicely I suppose.

I felt like there were several odd cuts like that. Like the game would transition to a new scene and cut to black yet they'd start rolling the audio before the visuals came back on. I guess thats just a stylistic choice but I kept thinking the game was broken or something was wrong.

And playing this after recently playing The Witcher really serves to highlight how badly BioWare needs to spruce up their animations or whatever procedural system they're using with facial animations. The faces just look so stiff and the characters so often have that really unnerving dead eyes look.

jgwhiteus

Anybody find that person that when you approach them they disappear in a puff of smoke?

I think there are five "harlequins" at the Winter Palace, and if you manage to catch them you get dexterity bonuses, and if you get all five you get a new schematic. I think you have to "surprise" and interact with them. There's a video explaining it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehk0caavleo

There's also a thread about all the free attribute points you can get - I did the dog treat one (for extra constitution) and fixing the skewed portraits (for extra strength) and the treasure map quest (for cunning), but didn't know about the fireworks (magic?), and only managed to catch one harlequin.
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/562549-trespasser-dlc-all-free-attribute-point-locations/

EDIT: also, I finally figured out how to get that chest in the elven mountain ruins. There's a mirror to your left when you first enter the area that leads to the chest; you have to use a warrior to break down the wall or something (it was already broken down when I revisited the area).

The Iron Bull situation is entirely dependent on his final crisis conversati
on. You have to make sure that he knows hes both TalVashith now, but that's OK.

Dmax3901

I did not know Bull
could betray you, he stayed loyal to me.

Josephine seems to be a pretty shitty romance option all said and done. No sex scene, no marriage scene, just kinda... nothing special you know?

I finished the Descent last night so on to this today.

Fuck that last boss. I literally had to spam my barrier and use my staff as a mage from a difference and spam the normal attack for ages. I had all close combat characters with me so I was screwed otherwise.

BeeDog

I finished the Descent last night but on to this today.

Fuck that last boss. I literally had to spam my barrier and use my staff as a mage from a difference and spam the normal attack for ages. I had all close combat characters with me so I was screwed otherwise.

Yeah, Descent's last boss blows. That DLC was so mediocre, but I'm really glad the impressions for Trespasser are so much better. Nabbing this today, but will get going when I'm back from my weekend vacation.

Yeah, Descent's last boss blows. That DLC was so mediocre, but I'm really glad the impressions for Trespasser are so much better. Nabbing this today, but will get going when I'm back from my weekend vacation.

I really don't know what they were thinking. I'd agree it was mediocre, but I still quite enjoyed it for what it was (I was aware of what it was going to be and I enjoyed it more than expected as a result).

Did you play Jaws of Hakkon?

And yeah, so glad views of this are positive. I could have lived without the other two, even if I did enjoy Jaws, but this looks like something I can't really miss.

Top Bottom