• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

mikeGFG

Banned
I just started playing Awakenings and i've respeced my Mage to an Arcane Warrior tank, but I cant seem to hold threat/aggro on any enemies. I have both Arcane Warrior modes active and I think Rock Armor too. I can mitigate incoming damage really well, but when combat starts enemies just attack whomever they want.

Is there a way to attract enemies to me, or should I be playing this specialization like a damage dealer? thx

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Damnit! I used the Skip the Fade mod and it crashed right when I killed the sloth demon. What the fuck, am I actually going to have to go through the fade? AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Edit: Tried again and it worked. Whew...

Jabronie

Neo Member
Mod related problem: Has anyone had an issue like this? I'm thinking it may be the 'Dragon Age Redesigned' mod but it could also be any number of mods I installed from this list of recommended mods.
jm98e.jpg

Though I am digging this game I already have a few hours invested at this point and would rather not have to start a new game. I did install these mods midway through my play.

dwebo

Jabronie said:
Mod related problem: Has anyone had an issue like this? I'm thinking it may be the 'Dragon Age Redesigned' mod but it could also be any number of mods I installed from this list of recommended mods.
http://i.imgur.com/jm98e.jpg[img]
Though I am digging this game I already have a few hours invested at this point and would rather not have to start a new game. I did install these mods midway through my play.[/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/sd1y4g.jpg
Did you install those? DA Redesigned comes with a Morrigan that doesn't require another mod IIRC

Dice

Killed my first dragon, technically, on the request of a party member. Those who know what that is know. I thought it was supposed to be hard?

I went (Melee Rogue/Archer Rogue/Mage/Tank):
1) Mark of Death + Shattering Shot + Weakness + Tank the front
2) Dirty Fighting (which worked, lol) + Crippling Shot + Buff Tank
3) Run around for backstabbing + Arrow of Slaying + Mass Rejuvenation
4) Basically just attack those positions and heal as needed

Didn't take very long.

Dice

Finally made it to the Jew Elves, the last mission I did on the PS3 version before I sold it. I think this time I'm going to side with the Palestinian Werewolves. Don't need some of my allies bringing so much baggage into the final battle.

Ellis Kim

Banned
lol, baggage? Just
fight the bald guy and convince him to undo the spell :/

Just got my Ultimate edition in the mail yesterday! ...I'm a little confused, but how do you access the Witch Hunt spoils? It was the first New Game import DLC I did. Can I correctly assume that once I import my character into DLC content, there's no way to import that back into Origins? Should I just do the DLC in order of release?

I imagine that if I do play in order, I'll have to replay Witch Hunt, but I have no qualms with that.

Dice

Ellis Kim said:
lol, baggage? Just
fight the bald guy and convince him to undo the spell :/
Uhhhh, did you talk to them much?
They have a complex about their prior subjugation and their entire culture is based on stories (which may not even be true) about their lost glory/powers/health/spirituality leading them to distrust/hate outsiders.

Not to mention...
They all have blind faith in their leader, who is obviously really shady and upon further examination a total douchebag, not only allowing his own people to suffer but trying to lead me to commit werewolf genocide for him, all while a blight is coming. They carry out the same hostilities against the werewolves that they whine about others having committed against them. Yeah, fuck them all.

Mr_Zombie

Dice said:
Not to mention...
They all have blind faith in their leader, who is obviously really shady and upon further examination a total douchebag, not only allowing his own people to suffer but trying to lead me to commit werewolf genocide for him, all while a blight is coming. They carry out the same hostilities against the werewolves that they whine about others having committed against them. Yeah, fuck them all.

They were deceived by their leader, so you should blame him, not all of them. Why not just kill the douchebag leader and thus both help elves and undo the werewolf spell?

Ellis Kim

Banned
Mr_Zombie said:
They were deceived by their leader, so you should blame him, not all of them. Why not just kill the douchebag leader and thus both help elves and undo the werewolf spell?
yeah, which was what I was trying to point out, but i guess Dice never chose that option?

@Dice Also, have you played city elf origin? :/

Dice

Mr_Zombie said:
Because they still have their other baggage. They're a bunch of whiny little shits yet at the same time feel that they are superior to everyone.

Ellis Kim said:
yeah, which was what I was trying to point out, but i guess Dice never chose that option?
I did the first time. Not satisfying.

Also, have you played city elf origin? :/
Why would I want to play as a little bitch?

Ellis Kim

Banned
I dunno, the Chantry's pretty fucked up, all things considered.

Also, are you serious? I can't tell, what with the internet impeding my sarcasm detectors and all. Its pretty unanimously agreed upon that City Elf is the best origin story.

Rufus

Ellis Kim said:
Also, are you serious? I can't tell, what with the internet impeding my sarcasm detectors and all. Its pretty unanimously agreed upon that City Elf is the best origin story.
There's this funny property of opinions...

Dice

Ellis Kim said:
I dunno, the Chantry's pretty fucked up, all things considered.
I see them as being like the relationship between the government and drugs. In general their principles are good, utilizing knowledge to help people while keeping shit from getting too crazy and prevent deaths from some doing things recklessly. However, whenever it does get that crazy they are basically worthless to fix the issue. So in the end much of their efforts are just making too big of a deal out of what is not yet a big deal, although it is difficult to determine when and where big deals will develop, so it's hard to hold it against them. Aside from this nature among their Templar muscle, their religious side is simply anti-evil and is all for anyone who is into vanquishing shit. Can't hate them for that.

Like I care what other people think. The elves in this franchise are lame.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
For some reason Morrigan won't deactivate her transformation when there are no enemies around. This is my setup:

Self: Surrounded by no enemies -> Deactivate: Flying Swarm
Enemy: Target rank is Elite or higher -> Activate: Flying Swarm

Can I only have it deactivated if I set it as Enemy: Target rank is Elite or lower?

I just can't get into DA.

I really want to like it, but maybe I'm spoiled by Mass Effect.

My main problems are the combat. Allies just do what they want and I have no control, similar to Star Ocean games. They end up dying very quickly, which is no fun.

Too much loot and items to wade through. Not sure what to keep and let go and sell. I just don't have the patience for it.

Mission structure and map is horrible to me. Ok so I selected a quest active. The vague description leads me running around hoping to trigger an event.

I'm really trying and I'm over 16 hours in, but I think I might just quit it. I hate myself for that.

Rufus

Dark Octave said:
Allies just do what they want and I have no control, similar to Star Ocean games. They end up dying very quickly, which is no fun.
You can program their AI (aka Tactics) or turn them off completely so you have to give everyone orders.

Dark Octave said:
Mission structure and map is horrible to me. Ok so I selected a quest active. The vague description leads me running around hoping to trigger an event.
Not sure what the problem is here...?

Rufus said:
You can program their AI (aka Tactics) or turn them off completely so you have to give everyone orders.

Not sure what the problem is here...?
Once you're in a town trying to locate the objective is a tedious search. Some aren't clear where you must go to begin with.

I think I just don't like that Boulder'a Gate style mission list structure.

I'm not blaming the game. I just can't get into it.

How is it a "search"? There's a map, and environments aren't very complicated in 90% of the game. I don't really see how it's any different than Mass Effect in that regard.

reKon

Banned
I took a break from this game for a little because it pissed me off (i've played the whole game on hard so far, ps3 version). I'm playing a city elf or w/e that's called and i'm a rogue duelist/assassin. I've beaten all the hard bosses so far including pretty recently, the high dragon. Now I have to deal with another, which is damn near impossible... Flemeth. She just constantly blasts my mage and rogue archer so much that it's hard to keep up the healing with them and this is after alistair uses all his taunting and other skills to get the high dragon to focus on him. Wynne won't activate force field for some reason on time (maybe cause she's spam healing and using lyrium pots while I'm controlling my elf and trying to set up bombs) and my tank can't get the high dragon to focus on him...

From what I last remember, I'm level 14, all builds are good, and all my equip is pretty good too. I have Blood Dragon armor on the tank and the Drakeskin armor on my elf. I know this boss is suppose to hard, but I don't know why this high dragon is owning me much more harder than the other one did..

reKon

Banned
Dark Octave said:
Once you're in a town trying to locate the objective is a tedious search. Some aren't clear where you must go to begin with.

I think I just don't like that Boulder'a Gate style mission list structure.

I'm not blaming the game. I just can't get into it.

There are usually arrows and indicators on the maps...

Finally beat the game after spending like close to 90 hours over the course of a year. Didn't play at all for quite a few months in the middle there, so some story bits here and there didn't make much sense to me at the end because I had forgotten some character names and storylines. Overall, definitely enjoyed the game and thought most of the characters were well done. My experience for the second half was definitely improved by the fact that I used a respec mod when I started playing again. Being able to fix some of my dumb leveling up choices lot of combat more entertaining way less frustrating to get through.

Might get to some DLC eventually. I'm kind of interested in playing Witch Hunt after choosing the ending where
Morrigan runs away with my unborn 'demon' baby ;)
Is it worth it?

kai3345

Banned
unagisensei said:
Finally beat the game after spending like close to 90 hours over the course of a year. Didn't play at all for quite a few months in the middle there, so some story bits here and there didn't make much sense to me at the end because I had forgotten some character names and storylines. Overall, definitely enjoyed the game and thought most of the characters were well done. My experience for the second half was definitely improved by the fact that I used a respec mod when I started playing again. Being able to fix some of my dumb leveling up choices lot of combat more entertaining way less frustrating to get through.

Might get to some DLC eventually. I'm kind of interested in playing Witch Hunt after choosing the ending where
Is it worth it?
If you were a male warden who romanced her, it makes an excellent end to the Dragon Age saga, (meaning play it absolutely last).

Ellis Kim

Banned
Dice said:
I see them as being like the relationship between the government and drugs. In general their principles are good, utilizing knowledge to help people while keeping shit from getting too crazy and prevent deaths from some doing things recklessly. However, whenever it does get that crazy they are basically worthless to fix the issue. So in the end much of their efforts are just making too big of a deal out of what is not yet a big deal, although it is difficult to determine when and where big deals will develop, so it's hard to hold it against them. Aside from this nature among their Templar muscle, their religious side is simply anti-evil and is all for anyone who is into vanquishing shit. Can't hate them for that.

Like I care what other people think. The elves in this franchise are lame.
Exalted marches says hi. For the Chantry, doing what's essentially "cultural cleansing," or what's the real-world equivalent of Crusades, is a regular part of their dogma. I can't approve of them for that alone.

Bumping this thread because I was wondering if anyone, like myself, was even aware that there was a Machinima series that covers the story of what happens with Kristoff before the events of Awakening.

I just watched the first episode, and its surprising just how well done it is, even if the canned animations can be kinda funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRVTl2ii8BM

edit: omg, why did they stop at episode 5?? Its so good, too! :(

Jhoan

I'm LTTP on this game. I got it for free with L.A. Noire 2 weeks ago (360 version). I was gonna make a LTTP thread about but this thread is still alive so I may as well save myself the trouble. My guy looks like Nathan Drake (human) which makes me wish I could have the option to go back and change his hair at the very least; I may as well have named him Nathan or Drake. It's a pretty decent game I suppose; it reminds me of FFXII because of the combat. I just got past
the Ostagar battle and I got Morrigan and made to the town that's across the bridge past the thieves. So many people died, and Duncan was a douche as was either drink the blood or he'll kill you.

I gotta say the combat's pretty boring compared to the ME games and I'm playing as a Rogue but at least it's nice that there's no Paragon/Renegade system ala Mass Effect and Alistair's pretty funny. Does the combat ever get better? I haven't played it in over a week because I've been playing L.A. Noire, but I'll give it another spin this weekend. I'm interested in the other add-ons but I'll wait for a sale to check them out. And I'm kind of disappointed that the main character is mute save for in combat so that sucks.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Jipan said:
I'm LTTP on this game. I got it for free with L.A. Noire 2 weeks ago (360 version). I was gonna make a LTTP thread about but this thread is still alive so I may as well save myself the trouble. My guy looks like Nathan Drake (human) which makes me wish I could have the option to go back and change his hair at the very least; I may as well have named him Nathan or Drake. It's a pretty decent game I suppose; it reminds me of FFXII because of the combat. I just got past
the Ostagar battle and I got Morrigan and made to the town that's across the bridge past the thieves. So many people died, and Duncan was a douche as was either drink the blood or he'll kill you.

I gotta say the combat's pretty boring compared to the ME games and I'm playing as a Rogue but at least it's nice that there's no Paragon/Renegade system ala Mass Effect and Alistair's pretty funny. Does the combat ever get better? I haven't played it in over a week because I've been playing L.A. Noire, but I'll give it another spin this weekend. I'm interested in the other add-ons but I'll wait for a sale to check them out. And I'm kind of disappointed that the main character is mute save for in combat so that sucks.
lol

Well, if it'll make you feel any better, they do the voice thing with the dialogue choice wheel like in the ME series for DA2.

Personally, I like the mute thing.

And no, the combat doesn't get any better; you just have to try harder to make it work out for you :( The AI "Tactics" system is really lame, too; I wish it was more like FFXII (as in, more detailed actions like how they did the Gambit stuff), but its super limiting instead. The fact that they don't let you queue up attacks like in KOTOR sucks too.

Jhoan

Ellis Kim said:
lol

Well, if it'll make you feel any better, they do the voice thing with the dialogue choice wheel like in the ME series for DA2.

Personally, I like the mute thing.

And no, the combat doesn't get any better; you just have to try harder to make it work out for you :( The AI "Tactics" system is really lame, too; I wish it was more like FFXII (as in, more detailed actions like how they did the Gambit stuff), but its super limiting instead. The fact that they don't let you queue up attacks like in KOTOR sucks too.

I'm not complaining too much about the main character being mute. So many that RPG's that I've played this gen have chatty main characters (save for Fallout 3 and New Vegas) so I'm used to that. I've tried out the DA2 demo and the main character is more like Shepard and the combat is a bit more hack n' slash style which I suppose is for the better even though they made it too much like the ME series with a Paragon/Renegade style system. I prefer game's moral system as is; ME2's was way too in your face with the points and it should have been more subtle like ME1's. I've never played KOTOR but I can image that it must better. I've heard a lot of bad things about the 360 version, so I'm kind of regretting it.

It sucks that the combat system isn't as meticulous as the Gambit system even though I felt overwhelmed by it but it was nice to have characters go on auto-pilot combat. I suppose I need to spend a little more time with it or command the characters myself to see if I get a kick out of it, but I like the LOTR style story and the characters are pretty good so far.

kai3345

Banned
Are there any good fan made expansions or quests? I played the two made by a gaffer, Carrion Birds and the one that inspired Darkspawn Chronicles. But are there any other ones notable for their quality?

Dice

I pretty much stopped playing this the moment I got The Witcher 2 Terraria.

Just picked this game up from my dad who bought it and played it for 5 minutes...Mostly because his PC sucked.

Amazing game so far. Got to the little hobo town of Lothering and I'm having a blast. Still wondering how to get my DLC companion Shale though.

Grinchy

Banned
Now that my PC can run it, I'd love to sell off my PS3 copy of the UE and grab a PC copy. But damn, the prices for the UE are so crappy now it's almost not worth selling.

Castor Krieg said:
Later on you will be able to travel on the World Map, just go and look everywhere, it will be pretty easy to start Shale's DLC quest.

Sweet, thanks for telling me that. I thought the whole game would be a one way trip to certain spots...

Gvaz

Banned
Grinchy said:
Now that my PC can run it, I'd love to sell off my PS3 copy of the UE and grab a PC copy. But damn, the prices for the UE are so crappy now it's almost not worth selling.
Wait for the summer sale on steam. Should be in the next week or so.

Dries

Hey, I got the GOTY edition, so I also got every single DLC package. Is there any consensus which is the best? (except Shale, cause I already know he's awesome)

Dries said:
Hey, I got the GOTY edition, so I also got every single DLC package. Is there any consensus which is the best? (except Shale, cause I already know he's awesome)

Well Awakening is obviously the most fleshed out since it's an expansion and all, but other than that, I liked the story of Warden's Keep and it gives you very useful loot and a place to store your loot.

kai3345

Banned
HadesGigas said:
Well Awakening is obviously the most fleshed out since it's an expansion and all, but other than that, I liked the story of Warden's Keep and it gives you very useful loot and a place to store your loot.
Golems of Amgarrak, Wardens Keep and Leliana's Song are the est

Gaspode_T

unagisensei said:

Is it worth it?

Definitely worth playing the DLC especially Awakening, Leiana's Song or whatever it's called is pretty campy and funny (and full of some sort of lesbian overtones)

Witch Hunt was okay

I'm glad I got the DLC on sale...

Mr YuYu

How long would it take to beat the game if i focused on the main storyline?

Just finisched arl of redcliffe quest and circle of mages. (put 20 hours in up untill now)

Thx in advance!

Gaspode_T

I would guess 30 more hours or something, I put more like 70 hours total but I was being a bit of a completionist with the quests. If you rush it can be done faster but if you aren't playing on an easy difficulty you will get your butt handed to you in the later parts

kai3345

Banned
Mr YuYu said:
How long would it take to beat the game if i focused on the main storyline?

Just finisched arl of redcliffe quest and circle of mages. (put 20 hours in up untill now)

Thx in advance!
my pre dragon age 2 "speedrun" took me 40 something hours on EASY

Grinchy

Banned
I just bought the UE for PC. This is an incredibly annoying process. I'm so used to buying a game, downloading it, then installing it. Guess the next step. That's, right, the next step is typically playing. Not in this case. Go sign up at our stupid site! We don't care if you don't want to!

Cheska

So I'm giving this game another shot. I initially stopped playing last year when I reached the dwarf area and got stuck fighting
the brood mother or whatever
. Then my PS3 got the YLOD and I lost all my data. I was initially a Warrior Elf but I think I might try being a Rogue this time.

Any tips you guys can think of? I must have been doing something wrong which in turn was affecting my enjoyment of the game.

Top Bottom