• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Gaspode_T

Cheska said:
So I'm giving this game another shot. I initially stopped playing last year when I reached the dwarf area and got stuck fighting
the brood mother or whatever
. Then my PS3 got the YLOD and I lost all my data. I was initially a Warrior Elf but I think I might try being a Rogue this time.

Any tips you guys can think of? I must have been doing something wrong which in turn was affecting my enjoyment of the game.

Warrior dying means that you were either underleveled or not having the right allies to support you. I think I was doing the Dwarf quest last, if I remember they recommend to do the mage tower early so you can get a healer.

Rogue is basically the same as MMORPG, do tons of damage but don't attract too much attention from monsters so that they all start attacking you. I got through the whole game without doing Feign Death at all, I was mostly doing an archer...but really the spirit is the same...attack, run over to your warrior and hide behind him if things get rough :) You also might have to change the tactics of the AI players depending on the play style you like. Generally mage should be defensive, rogues offensive, etc.

Cheska

I just don't understand how I keep effing up The Arl of Redcliffe part. Twice I've played through that part and both times
the option to choose the Circle of Magi route is nonexistent. I've already done the Broken Circle quest. Whether you choose to sacrifice Isolde or kill Connor, Allistair basically ends up hating you and you lose a bunch of points :( Wtf am I doing wrong?

Cheska said:
I just don't understand how I keep effing up The Arl of Redcliffe part. Twice I've played through that part and both times
the option to choose the Circle of Magi route is nonexistent. I've already done the Broken Circle quest. Whether you choose to sacrifice Isolde or kill Connor, Allistair basically ends up hating you and you lose a bunch of points :( Wtf am I doing wrong?

Did you side with the
templars in the Broken Circle quest? That'd make getting the help of the mages kinda impossible...

Grinchy

Banned
Man, the PC version sure does shit all over the console versions. I know that's always the case, but it seems like it's just a visual difference. In this case, it's not just a visual difference. The game actually plays differently/better on PC. The isometric view is a fantastic choice to have.

Cheska

HadesGigas said:
Did you side with the
templars in the Broken Circle quest? That'd make getting the help of the mages kinda impossible...

According to my trophies I've sided with both across both playthroughs, but this play through I sided with the
templars I believe. Is there any way around having Alistair disapprove? Its pretty dumb for both options to lead to such a high loss of points, especially because unless your following a guide you won't really know which choice is the right choice :(

Duki

Banned
Cheska said:
According to my trophies I've sided with both across both playthroughs, but this play through I sided with the
templars I believe. Is there any way around having Alistair disapprove? Its pretty dumb for both options to lead to such a high loss of points, especially because unless your following a guide you won't really know which choice is the right choice :(
i think you can save the points at a fireside chat at base camp later on or something

or

you know

dont bring him lol

Cheska

Duki said:
i think you can save the points at a fireside chat at base camp later on or something

or

you know

dont bring him lol

Wait, seriously? If I switch him out at the camp, my decisions with Connor won't matter?

Gaspode_T

If I remember, there are some things he magically finds out about and other things he doesn't...seriously figuring out some of those social aspects was kind of an annoying part of the game, I didn't feel bad about looking up info about that on Wikia

Cheska said:
Wait, seriously? If I switch him out at the camp, my decisions with Connor won't matter?
Hi Cheska! If you want to avoid the loss in friendship with Alistair and don't do the mage route, you can talk him into understanding what you did. I forget the exact line of dialogue it is, but it's definitely possible.

Cheska

Rei no Otaku said:
Hi Cheska! If you want to avoid the loss in friendship with Alistair and don't do the mage route, you can talk him into understanding what you did. I forget the exact line of dialogue it is, but it's definitely possible.

Holy shit Rei, didn't know you were on here! :hug:

Allistar loses approval in this instance even if he's not in the party at the time. He will confront you at camp. Even if you are able to rationalize it to him, it will still put quite a dent in his approval.

The approval hit doesn't matter too much due to the gift system anyway. In all my playthroughs of the game I've rarely done the mage option, and Alistair has usually hit max approval before the end of the game every time.

Duki said:
oh i confused it with the redcliffe castle thing, where you can get him to not care that you did bad things

Redcliffe is what we're talking about, the Arl of Redcliffe quest. You can't avoid it just by not bringing him there.

Looking at this, the loss of approval from Allistar can be as little as 3 (-10 +7), and as much as 51:

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Arl_of_Redcliffe#Alistair.27s_Reaction

2San

Rei no Otaku said:
The approval hit doesn't matter too much due to the gift system anyway. In all my playthroughs of the game I've rarely done the mage option, and Alistair has usually hit max approval before the end of the game every time.
Not to mention with the Ultimate edition you have unlimited approval gifts anyhow.

Mr YuYu

Is it possible to respec your characters in awakenings, save, and then use your respecced character in dragon age: origins again?

I made a few dumb choices in the beginning and a respec would be awesome!

Mr_Zombie

Mr YuYu said:
Is it possible to respec your characters in awakenings, save, and then use your respecced character in dragon age: origins again?

I made a few dumb choices in the beginning and a respec would be awesome!
If you're playing on PC, there's a mod that allows you to respec.

Cheska

Fuck me, got all my stuff with Alistair straightened out, but I can't beat
Flemeth for shit
. I think I'm under leveled :(

Khal_B

Cheska said:
Fuck me, got all my stuff with Alistair straightened out, but I can't beat
Flemeth for shit
. I think I'm under leveled :(

You have Wynne in your party, right? If you're not a healer, Wynne is essential for the tougher boss battles.

Cheska

Good to know guys! Is there any particular order you guys went about doing the main quests? Is the most common: Broken Circle->Arl of Redcliffe->Paragon of her kind->Nature of the Beast?

Patryn

Cheska said:
Good to know guys! Is there any particular order you guys went about doing the main quests? Is the most common: Broken Circle->Arl of Redcliffe->Paragon of her kind->Nature of the Beast?

I have generally gone Redcliff -> Mage Tower -> Urn of Sacred Ashes -> Dalish -> Orzammar. Occasionally I'll switch up the Dalish and Urn of Sacred Ashes quests.

I do know that the dwarves is naturally balanced to be one of the more difficult of the quests.

So I decided to finally play the game after buying it on Steam.

Question: Is it possible to make a "bad" character. Bad as in, so ineffective at everything that it becomes nearly impossible to win the game? I want to make a mage but I have no idea (besides magic and willpower) what skills to invest into, and what spell trees to invest into. There are so many options but I'm afraid I may spread myself too thin.

kai3345

Banned
Obsessed said:

Question: Is it possible to make a "bad" character. Bad as in, so ineffective at everything that it becomes nearly impossible to win the game? I want to make a mage but I have no idea (besides magic and willpower) what skills to invest into, and what spell trees to invest into. There are so many options but I'm afraid I may spread myself too thin.
you looking to be more of a damage dealing mage or a healer?

also download this mod, it takes away the bullshit locks on each class' specializations.

Cheska

Obsessed said:

You can change the difficulty at any time if end up running into a tough spot. Also, there's an auto level system if you don't want to spread your points out yourself.

Anteater

Obsessed said:

If you spend points on useless stats and spells, it would make it really difficult, there is a respec mod around though so you could always use that.

As a mage, imo it would be wise to learn some crowd control spells, and keep the tank decked out with the best defense gears (and give them enmity abilities), and it should be ok.

IoCaster

Obsessed said:

It' pretty hard to mess up a mage build in this game. Some of the more useful spells would be Cone of Cold, Sleep, Petrify, Glyph of Repulsion, Crushing Prison, Heal. You can also combo spells such as Grease+Fireball for some nice CC effects. The game is long enough that you'll have plenty of opportunities to experiment and there's very little chance of screwing up your build.

Man, I'm really struggling with the combat. It gives you the option to pause and control everyone, but if I take my eyes off someone for a second they've gone and used up one of their spells and I have to wait for cooldown.

That flamethrower spell also sucks. Such slow startup time and even if you do hit it seems to do almost no damage.

Complistic

Obsessed said:
Man, I'm really struggling with the combat. It gives you the option to pause and control everyone, but if I take my eyes off someone for a second they've gone and used up one of their spells and I have to wait for cooldown.

That flamethrower spell also sucks. Such slow startup time and even if you do hit it seems to do almost no damage.

They're using their spells because you have their tactics set up so that they will. If you go into your tactics menu you can disable or change the paramaters for when you want them to use everything. or not use anything at all.

Just started playing the game for 360, really digging it. But I cant help but feel I'm doing the combat wrong. And the leveling.

Can someone point me to where I can get some tips on combat and leveling?

Megasoum

Banned
Bought the game during the origin sale last week and finally started playing last night.

Having a lot of fun so far but I have a problem with the UI. If I play the game in 1080p on a 24" monitor (my monitor's native res) the UI is incredibly small. I found the FtG UI Mod which scale the text, tooltips and menus (inventory, map, journal, etc) which is awesome but I'd really like to be able to scale the portraits. Right now my health and mana bars are seriously 2 pixels wide which makes it very difficult to keep track during combat.

Anyone know a way to scale those portraits?

Gaspode_T

HammerOfThor said:
Just started playing the game for 360, really digging it. But I cant help but feel I'm doing the combat wrong. And the leveling.

Can someone point me to where I can get some tips on combat and leveling?

Wow I feel sorry no one replied to you, http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Attributes_(Origins) is a nice site for this game but it's full of spoilers so you have to be careful if you care about that. My recommendation is to play through once on the easiest setting for story (maybe with one of the easier to play character classes like Rogue or Warrior), then play through again with one of the harder classes like Mage and go for Normal or Harder difficulty and you will know what you are doing by then. If you care about achievements you will have to play through at least twice anyway (one bad character, one good worked pretty well for me, I didn't get 100% but maybe 80% of them).

Flipside

I am playing through the Collector's Edition of Origins.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to buy the Ultimate Edition just for the DLC, so installing just the DLC and 'linking' it to my CE of Origins? Or do I have to reinstall the whole game and start a new character with the Ultimate Edition?

Thanks.

RedSwirl

I just realized something: after playing through Origins and Awakening, there are a couple characters that were prominent in the game's production art that I never actually got to meet in the game.

I'm referring to the pissed-off elf bride in this pic:
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/09/dao_elfcommon.jpg

...And the white-haired elf mage in this pic:
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/09/dao_elfmage.jpg

I know I didn't do very many of Origins' side-quests, but they are in there right?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
RedSwirl said:
I just realized something: after playing through Origins and Awakening, there are a couple characters that were prominent in the game's production art that I never actually got to meet in the game.

I know I didn't do very many of Origins' side-quests, but they are in there right?
Those pieces are just from the promo artwork illustrating each of the origins. They're not actually characters in the game.

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Origins

Top Bottom