• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

botkiller said:
I know this may be blasphemous, but has anyone heard whether you can use a 360 controller on the PC version?

I haven't heard anything, but I don't think it's likely they put an option to use the console interface in the PC version.

fanboi

Banned
Evilore told me that is was more Bg2ish in exploration... another review said a con was the linearity...

Who to believe?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
edit: oops! I thought I was in another thread.

So I finally downloaded the character editor just to get a taste of the game, what the fuck @ the only difference between elves, humans, and dwarves being their height. I'm not sure I can stomach elves and dwarves being perfectly normal looking.

Zeliard

botkiller said:
I know this may be blasphemous, but has anyone heard whether you can use a 360 controller on the PC version?

I doubt it, honestly. The PC interface is completely different. I doubt they included the console interface in there as well.

And seriously, why would you? It completely changes the game.

-Mikey-

Son of Godzilla said:
So I finally downloaded the character editor just to get a taste of the game, what the fuck @ the only difference between elves, humans, and dwarves being their height. I'm not sure I can stomach elves and dwarves being perfectly normal looking.

This game has the most beautiful female dwarves I've ever seen.

Although after messing with the creator I was able to make some very fugly looking dwarves so no need to be bummed out. :D

Danneee

Does anyone know anything about the official guide? It would be nice with a guide filled with combat tips and equipment stats and such but if it's just a straight walkthrough I'll pass.

edit: Why the console hate in the op? And what's up with the minimum of info?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
fanboi said:
Evilore told me that is was more Bg2ish in exploration... another review said a con was the linearity...

Who to believe?

The review you're talking about IIRC mentioned that the dungeons are linear, not the game itself. From what I understand the game world is like BG2, where quests you take open up areas on the world map to travel to and you have many options in where to go and what to do.

Somnia

I know you've been talking about this thread for a few days Evil...and I was expecting an epic post...you sir delivered :lol

TheChaos

Caspel said:
I've only "participated" in three so far. Not sure if there is one with Alistair as I haven't had any dialogue options for that as a male. Maybe as a female there would be.

That's too bad, I was hoping for him to be a male romance option as well as female. Zevran looks very annoying from the previews, I don't think I'm gonna pick him.

fanboi

Banned
EviLore said:
The review you're talking about IIRC mentioned that the dungeons are linear, not the game itself. From what I understand the game world is like BG2, where quests you take open up areas on the world map to travel to and you have many options in where to go and what to do.

Ahaaa... Thank you yet again!

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
TheChaos said:
That's too bad, I was hoping for him to be a male romance option as well as female. Zevran looks very annoying from the previews, I don't think I'm gonna pick him.

Let's just say I haven't used him that often. Though, I'm trying to become buddy-buddy with him so he can teach me the ways of the assassin class.

LCfiner

OP is hilarious. :lol

yeah, I need to pick this up. I don’t know if I have time to play it at launch but soon. soon.

and, yeah, I’m a dirty console peasant who will be playing this on the 360.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This is my last gaming purchase of the year barring magical Steam sales or something. I am ready.

Master race version, of course.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Son of Godzilla said:

Yeah, DA's elves are weak. Look exactly like humans with pointy ears. Nothing ethereal or feyish about them. Look like half elves.

koji

:lol @ OP

Shit just got real!

HK-47 said:
Yeah, DA's elves are weak. Look exactly like humans with pointy ears. Nothing ethereal or feyish about them. Look like half elves.

They're not your typical high fantasy Elves... In Thedas they are threated like slaves/outcasts. They're not immortal or anything fancy either. (They used to be though but they got stripped of their powers)

vesp

botkiller said:
theres a dev post on the bioware forums somewhere saying controllers are not supported.

im hoping itll be feasible to use xpadder/pinnacle game profiler to do it, as i much prefer the idea of playing on the couch and no matter how many different combinations of tiny wireless keyboards/mice/track balls on lapdesks I've tried, keyboard and mouse just is not comfortable for long periods of time on the couch. which might mean dragging in the new htpc into the computer room for 80 hours of gameplay =/

vesp said:
im hoping itll be feasible to use xpadder/pinnacle game profiler to do it

That's not going to be enough, you'd need the entire console interface. Trying to control the PC version with some keys mapped to a controller isn't going to work.

LCfiner

vesp said:
theres a dev post on the bioware forums somewhere saying controllers are not supported.

im hoping itll be feasible to use xpadder/pinnacle game profiler to do it, as i much prefer the idea of playing on the couch and no matter how many different combinations of tiny wireless keyboards/mice/track balls on lapdesks I've tried, keyboard and mouse just is not comfortable for long periods of time on the couch. which might mean dragging in the new htpc into the computer room for 80 hours of gameplay =/

from the two giantbomb quicklooks I saw (one for PC, one for 360), I would say there’s no way to get the PC UI to work with a controller. It is entirely mouse and keyboard driven.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
vesp said:

I have no problems with a KB/M on the couch. Do you have a wireless keyboard and mouse? Sure you can't lay down or anything, but as long as I put my mouse on something that has enough height to be comfortable and keep the keyboard in my lap I have no problems at all.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Tenkai Star said:
Awesome OP :lol

Haven't decides if I gonna buy this on Steam or for my PS3. Waiting on console version impressions.

Is your PC capable of running the game well? If so, this really shouldn't be a question unless you hate using any human interface device that isn't a dual shock 3 or something.

Taurus

2chwbjs.png

:lol :lol :lol

SailorDaravon said:
:lol

So I guess my sorry peasant ass shouldn't even bother posting in here about the 360 version :lol
Dude, you have the PC to run it and it's entirely singleplayer, so what's wrong with you?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Satanyoka said:
C'mon guys, some of us can't afford a good PC. :(

If the Giant Bomb quicklook of the 360 version is any indication the game looks like it will play just fine on the consoles.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
koji said:
:lol @ OP

Shit just got real!

They're not your typical high fantasy Elves... In Thedas they are threated like slaves/outcasts. They're not immortal or anything fancy either. (They used to be though but they got stripped of their powers)

I know all that (even if enslaved elves is a well trodden road) but they look boring.

koji

HK-47 said:
I know all that (even if enslaved elves is a well trodden road) but they look boring.

Yeah, bit of a shame. Plan on playing a Dalish during my first playthrough, I'm such a sucker for playing Elves... Think it'll be an interesting origin/story to play, but there's nothing really "epic" about them.

Acosta

About the exploration thing...

I can't talk much, but I appreciate that the main difference between both is that secondary quests are much more in your face in Dragon Age. Basically they come to you and you can do them or not, but you really know they are there, while in BG II, you could be walking around and bam! you were fighting a Beholder, or jumping to another plane or doing epic stuff that you woud have never done without looking really hard and talking to everyone. That's how I see it.

Ashour

I pre-ordered this game but I'm still not sure, need more videos & previews so I can cancel my pre-order if I need to.

pahamrick

So looking forward to this. Probably be the first (possibly only) game I double dip on. 360 version now, PC version next year once I build my new rig. Been 7 years, figure I'm due for an upgrade. :D

Tonza

I have a PC well capable of running this but Im getting the 360 version.
I just noticed with Witcher, Crysis and Risen that I tend to drop PC games in the middle.

So Im a lousy console peasant. :lol

vesp

LCfiner said:
from the two giantbomb quicklooks I saw (one for PC, one for 360), I would say there’s no way to get the PC UI to work with a controller. It is entirely mouse and keyboard driven.

Xpadder/Pinnacle both map the mouse to the sticks and can use shift states and such to allow for a lot of mapped keys. It being a single player game where you make most of your decisions in a paused enviroment, it should be some what feasible wihout a whole lot of worries about giving up competitive advantage like you would in a online game.

It really comes down to how many individual buttons are needed, because once you get into using a bunch of shifts it normally can be a bit nightmarish to play.

RJT

:lol great thread

This is definitely on my to buy list. I'll get this after I'm done with Mirror's Edge (hopefully I can get it for less than 25€ then).

careksims

Hahaha! Great Official Thread! Loved the Baldur Gate series. A friend and I are ready for this business! Hopefully the Steam boys give, at least me, a lot of time to pre-load this sucker! 20 gigs! Yikes! :D

koji

careksims said:
Hahaha! Great Official Thread! Loved the Baldur Gate series. A friend and I are ready for this business! Hopefully the Steam boys give, at least me, a lot of time to pre-load this sucker! 20 gigs! Yikes! :D

Don't think it'll be a 20gig download, the install size is around 20gig. Would love to know the download size myself...

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showpost.php?p=1921850&postcount=1828

Download should be about 15.5 Gig for English, last time I looked. 16 Gig would be a safe number.

I don't know about pre-loads for any of them at this time. I know it is something that we would like. Hopefully I can find out more next week.

Not sure how trustworthy that source is. Ah well, 16gig is almost 20gig... :D

LCfiner

vesp said:
Xpadder/Pinnacle both map the mouse to the sticks and can use shift states and such to allow for a lot of mapped keys. It being a single player game where you make most of your decisions in a paused enviroment, it should be some what feasible wihout a whole lot of worries about giving up competitive advantage like you would in a online game.

It really comes down to how many individual buttons are needed, because once you get into using a bunch of shifts it normally can be a bit nightmarish to play.

yeah... but... take a look at this

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dragon-age-origins/17-1477/

Yes there's pausing but I would not want to play this with a controller at all.

it's made for the keyboard and mouse. there's a ton of icons on the lower part of the screen for commands. there's a ton of enemies all over the screen that need to be dealt with. the mouse is made for this type of action. heck, the console version actually has fewer, but stronger, enemies to compensate

I mean, yes, technically, you can map the commands to the gamepad but...

1pz4sy.jpg

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Oh man I'm so excited about this. With the news of the editing tools I'm expecting some killer mods. The community can create their own cut scenes how cool is that!

Top Bottom