• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Zeliard

eznark said:
Also, say I was thrown in jail in my origin story and stripped...do I ever get my DLC back??

It's a known bug with one (or both?) of the dwarf origin stories.

Go into your DLC menu and disable the stuff, and then re-enable them. Should be okay after that.

Snapshot King said:
Man I must be crazy. Im about 15 hours in with my dual wielding City Elf warrior, but, I really want to start over. I mean, I JUST really got the hang of the battle system (and leveling) and I feel like I made a million bad decisions with the skills my party learned, and no respec makes me sad. Whaddya think Gaf? Should I go for a do over? I've only just
solved redcliffes little undead problem and a few sidequests here or there.
Yup, do it, roll yourself a new character. Ifeltl the same as you; I put four hours into my Dalish, sword & shield, warrior and I've been thinking about all the better decisions I could have made all day.

So he's getting sidelined tonight so I can start my Human Noble, dual wielding, warrior.

Justin

Anyone remember where Elder Miriam is. I just maid the potions for the "More than just a Plant" quest and cant find her for the life of me.

markot

Banned
With the DLC quests, can you do them at any time, like do they scale to your level, or are they higher level stuff >_<?

Also, I cant decide where to go after the first main small town >_>!

eznark

Banned
Zeliard said:

Go into your DLC menu and disable the stuff, and then re-enable them. Should be okay after that.
shit, thanks dude, would have played the whole game without em. Doesn't seem like a bug so much as an oversight.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Yup, do it, roll yourself a new character. Ifeltl the same as you; I put four hours into my Dalish, sword & shield, warrior and I've been thinking about all the better decisions I could have made all day.

So he's getting sidelined tonight so I can start my Human Noble, dual wielding, warrior.

Man, the lack of respec really hurts. Like, I wasn't paying attention to what magic morrigan had because I figured I'd get another mage anytime, but jesus christ. I think she's the only one you get. And she HATES me =(

Zzoram

Zeliard said:

My stuff was all in a chest just outside the prison cell.

Zeliard

eznark said:
Doesn't seem like a bug so much as an oversight.

True. It makes sense within the game that it takes everything away, since you do lose your inventory, which the DLC items are naturally a part of.

I wonder how many players it's hampered, though.

Zzoram said:
My stuff was all in a chest just outside the prison cell.

I'm playing an Elf Mage, so I'm far removed from dwarf origins. People were talking about this earlier, though, and mentioned that as a fix.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Balya said:
I might be fucking up the intended experience a bit by being such a dick with the character creator but I don't care:

2eow8s3.jpg

Lindsay Lohan?

eznark

Banned
Zeliard said:
True. It makes sense within the game that it takes everything away, since you do lose your inventory, which the DLC items are naturally a part of.

I wonder how many players it's hampered, though.

I'm playing an Elf Mage, so I'm far removed from dwarf origins. People were talking about this earlier, though, and mentioned that as a fix.
Fuck, that didn't work. And I'm almost positive there was no chest. I didn't even have player control until I was booted from the city.

Zeliard

No respec'ing is a good choice for these types of games, rather than something like Diablo. Combined with the rare level-gaining, it makes stat upgrades much more meaningful.

eznark said:
Fuck, that didn't work. And I'm almost positive there was no chest. I didn't even have player control until I was booted from the city.

That's strange. Maybe you have to do it in a certain way.

Zeliard

This was the post that mentioned the fix:

Fredescu said:
I saw this fix on another forum: "After losing the items, go into the 'DLC' menu. Uncheck all of your active DLCs and 'force load' your game. Save. Then go back into your DLC section and re-check all of your DLCs. They should appear in your inventory next time you load your game."

Yeah, you gotta load your game and then save it first with the DLC disabled.

eznark

Banned
Zeliard said:

Thanks, I was actually just going to post that. It worked for me.I think it's just the dwarf noble's story.

Ceebs

markot said:
I think she marries a human, he gets killed on their wedding night or somesuch
She is marrying a male elf, humans show up and ruin the wedding. Then you go Kill Bill on everything. Such a great origin.

eznark

Banned
Zeliard said:

Oh Lord, that method results in an absurd cheat. And it didn't work for my Formari Memory Band? What is a noble rogue dwarf going to do without his memory band?!?

mileS

The graphics in the 360 version are all over the place. Some parts of the game actually look really really good but the bad stuff sticks out like crazy.

2 examples. The opening cut scene when Duncan (the dual wielding Warden dude) stabs that darkspawn and kicks him off the side of the mountain. The ground texture under the darkspawn was so fucking terrible it hurt. I've seen better detail in N64 games. It was that bad.

The next example that really stuck out to me. (early minor Human origin spoiler)
You find your father in that room and hes about to die, on the floor with blood all over him. Right behind him there's supposed to be a bunch of firewood stacked up. At least I think thats what its supposed to be because oh my dear god was it ugly and flat.
Please tell me I wasn't the only person that noticed that.

It made me wonder how in the world those kind of graphics in important scenes like that would be acceptable. How could anyone from BioWare playing or testing the game let something like that pass? Its 2009.. I don't care how long the game has been in development. Those particular parts of the games graphics would have been barely acceptable in the PS1/N64 days.

I guess they had to make a lot of sacrifices to the graphics to get a decent framerate. It's just hard to understand because like I said there are some parts of the game that look really good. Then every now and then you are slapped in the face with some of the ugliest textures seen this generation. Some parts of the game look like an Unreal engine game before the texture pop-in. Almost worse in some cases.

All that being said I'm still enjoying the game quite a bit so far. Can't wait to play more tonight. Anyways sorry for the wall of useless peasant babble.

Dipper145

I'm amazed at how well this runs on my PC. I really thought it wouldn't do very good, but I mean its on mid-high at 720p, so I can't complain.

Still working on my Elf Magi origin story.

bigswords

mileS said:
The graphics in the 360 version are all over the place. Some parts of the game actually look really really good but the bad stuff sticks out like crazy.

2 examples. The opening cut scene when Duncan (the dual wielding Warden dude) stabs that darkspawn and kicks him off the side of the mountain. The ground texture under the darkspawn was so fucking terrible it hurt. I've seen better detail in N64 games. It was that bad.

The next example that really stuck out to me. (early minor Human origin spoiler)
You find your father in that room and hes about to die, on the floor with blood all over him. Right behind him there's supposed to be a bunch of firewood stacked up. At least I think thats what its supposed to be because oh my dear god was it ugly and flat.
Please tell me I wasn't the only person that noticed that.

It made me wonder how in the world those kind of graphics in important scenes like that would be acceptable. How could anyone from BioWare playing or testing the game let something like that pass? Its 2009.. I don't care how long the game has been in development. Those particular parts of the games graphics would have been barely acceptable in the PS1/N64 days.

I guess they had to make a lot of sacrifices to the graphics to get a decent framerate. It's just hard to understand because like I said there are some parts of the game that look really good. Then every now and then you are slapped in the face with some of the ugliest textures seen this generation. Some parts of the game look like an Unreal engine game before the texture pop-in. Almost worse in some cases.

All that being said I'm still enjoying the game quite a bit so far. Can't wait to play more tonight. Anyways sorry for the wall of useless peasant babble.

Did you install the game, sounds like texture pop in issues.

TheFreshPrince

After about 3 hrs....

I HATE how much time this game takes...it's fun, but geez it makes time disappear, and you don't even feel it.

But, I LOVE how great it looks on my Mac. I figured I'd have some hiccups with BootCamp, but I'm running full 1920x1200 with graphics maxed and the game is beautiful in almost every area I've been too. The character models are actually really good, bar the occasional deformed dude.

bigswords

mileS said:
Yea It's installed. It's just the way the 360 version looks as far as I know.

Ah I only noticed that the 360 version of texture isn't as good as the PC version (maybe not as good as the PS3 one as well?). But at least the framerate is solid.

Anyhows any of you gents know how to skip or fast forward dialog?

To get Zevran:
I think he only comes after you after you finish one of the main story quests (recruiting a group to help you like the magi). Then he attacks you while you're traveling on the map.

bigswords said:
Anyhows any of you gents know how to skip or fast forward dialog?

360 version you hit X.

careksims

Okay BAD ASSSSSS EPIC!
Killed that shape-shifting dragon! The way it was killed BAD ASS! Down to my main char doing the killing blow. Everyone dead. Wynn was a god send with her res and heal spells!
RPG GOTY! :D

aktham

Fredescu said:
I don't think there are elements of Diablo II really. Imagine playing WoW, but you were always in a four person group and you had to control each party member yourself, and you were able to pause the action to issue commands to each party member. Add to that a hefty dialog tree system, which neither of those games have.

Thanks just what I wanted to hear :D Now I'm really excited to try the game out.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Relix said:
By the way...

How can I sex up Morrigan :lol

You'll have to... Get her to at least a 75 percent approval rating (or so). Finding the fake Grimoire and the real Grimoire of a specific quest related NPC will help out. Killing that NPC will help out even more.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've put in about 14 hours into the game already and damn it is so addicting. I think my completion percentage what somewhere around 13% or so last I checked. I really wish I could take the rest of the week off of work and keep playing. This game is really something special.

iam220

Been playing for the past two hours and so far the story is very gripping and the combat is enjoyable. Very positive first impressions so far. Lets see how long this game can keep me up tonight :lol

Running it with a e7300 + ati 4850 (both stock). All maxed out, 1080p and 2x AA. Haven't bother to check the frame rates but everything seems to be silky smooth.

DrBo42

I'm going to lose my fucking mind on this defense of Redcliffe bullshit. I can do the part at the top path with the knights, but the militia in the town square are fucking USELESS. I just get gangbanged by 8 or so undead.

great, the thing wont even load without crashing

i decrypted, it set my stuff using the configure tool, I boot the main game and it comes back out with the win7 "the application has stopped working"

yes ive restarted steam, deleted clientregistry.blob, verified, set steam to load as administrator...

Mindlog

Specialization question!

I have a 2 handed weapon warrior mans who's either going to be a berserker or templar. If I unlock the duelist specialty does it automatically apply? I don't want to the character to be a dualist.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I think my party members have spoken up more in these first few hours than the entirety of Mass Effect and Jade Empire combined.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
haldalish said:
damn, FR is more important. is the FR difference major or minor?
Unfortunately that's subjective. If you get annoyed by frame-rate issues take the 360, if you don't notice them most of the time, take whatever is cheaper.

There have been numbers thrown around that say the 360 is holding 30fps nearly all the time. And the PS3 can go as low as the 20s... So relatively speaking that's quite a lot.

Took the plunge with zero hype, despite being an avid fan of the Infinity Engine days (pre-launch it just looked too stereotypical and bland), due to the early reaction. And secretly wanting to support any return to the glory days for this type of game. Bought the Steam version.

Only been able to play about an hour and a half, but honestly quite liking it so far, playing Human Noble. The graphics are alternately impressive and bland, but it's got good writing, and that certainly helped quicken the hook. I'm pleased so far. I'm feeling it's going to take a chunk of hours to really assess whether it's as good as what has come before. And that's probably a damn good thing.

nataku

Zeliard said:
No respec'ing is a good choice for these types of games, rather than something like Diablo. Combined with the rare level-gaining, it makes stat upgrades much more meaningful.

That's strange. Maybe you have to do it in a certain way.
No respecing is something I hate, especially in a game like this. No one will know their character or the combat system right away. It's going to take hours.

The best thing to do, IMO, would have been to allow a free one-time respec. That way once you do know the combat system you can fix what you don't like with you character without having to wipe hours of playtime.

Top Bottom