• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

nataku said:
No respecing is something I hate, especially in a game like this. No one will know their character or the combat system right away. It's going to take hours.

The best thing to do, IMO, would have been to allow a free one-time respec. That way once you do know the combat system you can fix what you don't like with you character without having to wipe hours of playtime.

This is a very nice compromise that i would love to see games have.

benita316

Banned
Can anyone tell me if this game requires online activation? I've just moved and my access probably won't be hooked up for a couple of days.

If anyone knows the answer to the same question about Borderlands it would be appreciated.

bengraven

Himuro said:
Should I bother putting points into 2H for Alistair this early in the game? I find Shield Bash pretty useful but you can't use such skills while having 2H. Stick with 1H for now?

I would like to know this as well.

Himuro said:
Should I bother putting points into 2H for Alistair this early in the game? I find Shield Bash pretty useful but you can't use such skills while having 2H. Stick with 1H for now?
Entirely depends on what you want Alister to do. I mean there is another warrior character with a focus on 2h weapons that you can recruit. But if you start putting points into shield abilities might as well go all the way. So just pick one, its a waste to split points between the two.

AeroGod

Himuro said:

2H is terrible early game untill you get to be level 12-15ish. 1h/shield is so useful especially on harder difficulty settings. And magic using enemies are brutal so having a bad ass defensive templar will make it much more manageable.

bengraven said:
Ali will be my main tank, even when I'm playing warriors I believe. So I might take up the sword and board cause.
Eh thats fine, then just make sure you don't put any points into shield talents with your main.
AeroGod said:
2H is terrible early game untill you get to be level 12-15ish. 1h/shield is so useful especially on harder difficulty settings. And magic using enemies are brutal so having a bad ass defensive templar will make it much more manageable.
Then you also should put Alister's stat points into dexterity/willpower/constitution and probably ignore strength entirely.

Kosma

Banned
Finally got to play, spend about 30 min making a dwarf and after seeing him in action I immidietly rolled a human. Need some sleep now but game looks great (first minutes lol)

I'm a warrior and will try to specialize in tanking/shields.

Himuro said:
Happy bark!

I love my dog <3

Proc

game is amazing.

It is incredibly polished on the pc, it feels like its been patched at least 2 times. What an amazing job on Bioware's part. It feels nice to play a game where a boat load of time went into the pc version.

AeroGod

Has anyone fond a way to make the 3rd and 4th tier Area of Effect spells useful on Nightmare. Getting a decent cast off is nearly impossible unless you want to kill your own team or yourself. I dont mind friendly fire, but your own spells shouldnt hurt the caster at least then i could hold back the team and PBAoE. I now feel like i wasted my character going towards the big spells when the game clearly favors status effect/healing magic and melee combo, at least on Hard or Nightmare. In 20+ hours of play i think i found maybe 4 or 5 times when the massive AoE spells were useful. You basically have to figure out a way to immobilize 7+ enemies at the same time and then keep them that way through the duration of the spell. Seems like more trouble then it is worth

Shinjitsu

Banned
Sigh, lots of users on the Bioware forums are experiencing similar issues like i am (game performance drops after a certain amount of time or the game flat out crashes) with ati cards atm.

Apparently ATI has new drivers coming out on the 17th that might fix the issue. the fun part is I'm running a mobility 3670, and ati has piss poor driver support for the mobile GPUs now, so I will have to use modtools to install the desktop drivers in hopes it will work.

Oh well such is PC gaming at times=P

Was having a blast too, but it's totally wrecking my experience having to reboot every 30 min to an hour to get normal framerates.=(

bengraven

Lostconfused said:
Eh thats fine, then just make sure you don't put any points into shield talents with your main.

Then you also should put Alister's stat points into dexterity/willpower/constitution and probably ignore strength entirely.

I'm skipping them on my main, he's going the Reaver route.

The Circle of Mages
quest is really long, is this the standard for story quests? You also get a ridiculous amount of attribute points there.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Just got Shale. The small cutscene after you get him and put him in the party made me laugh out loud :lol

I substituted Alistair with him (asshole kept dying). Was it a good choice?

RS4-

Sebulon3k said:
18 hours, Just got the ashes, Long dungeon with many wipes :lol

Yeah I'm progressing around the same speed.

Now...using that horn was a bad idea when I did it :lol

Swag

Gloomfire said:
What difficulty?

Hard, mages in this game are a pain to deal with, I learned that they have to immediately be Crowd Controlled or it will lead to a wipe guaranteed. Fireball -> Cone of Cold -> Winter's Grasp -> Mobility Hex on my tanks while 7 other enemies are beating down on me was painful.

Sleep, Force Field, Waking nightmare and Mind Blast are near crucial

Relix said:
I substituted Alistair with him (asshole kept dying). Was it a good choice?

Alistair is pretty amazing as a tank imo, the shield talents really work well with some of the defense bonus shields, but Shael get's those awesome passive bonuses when he's in different stances. I use both, couldn't decide which to go with and I've noticed most of the rogues in the game suck balls when they aren't micro'd

soldat7

nataku said:
No respecing is something I hate, especially in a game like this. No one will know their character or the combat system right away. It's going to take hours.

The best thing to do, IMO, would have been to allow a free one-time respec. That way once you do know the combat system you can fix what you don't like with you character without having to wipe hours of playtime.

You should stay away from Demon's Souls lol.

So what's the consensus? DA as good as Baldur's Gate 2?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Sebulon3k said:
Alistair is pretty amazing as a tank imo, the shield talents really work well with some of the defense bonus shields, but Shael get's those awesome passive bonuses when he's in different stances. I use both, couldn't decide which to go with and I've noticed most of the rogues in the game suck balls when they aren't micro'd

At least Shale doesn't die :lol

Right now in the Village of Haven.. Havey.. w/e. Doing the Ash quest, then will do the Circle of Magi since people say it's pretty awesome. First gotta finish this one though!

bengraven

I hate you guys, seriously. I haven't even got an hour into this game. My wife knows I have this game so she's pressuring me to be off the PC more and more.

That and I have ridiculous work hours.

Swag

Relix said:

Right now in the Village of Haven.. Havey.. w/e. Doing the Ash quest!

Prepare to yell obscenities at your screen if you don't have Morrigan in your party :lol

bengraven said:
My wife knows I have this game so she's pressuring me to be off the PC more and more.

That and I have ridiculous work hours.

Your Tag is quite possibly the most appropriate tag I have ever seen.

knitoe

When you do you get a Cleric / Healer? Playing as shield warrior, have gotten the 2nd chick (bard / rogue) and doing OK on hard, but it's been slow going. I can't rush into battle. Need to hold position, move forward 1 character, and then, drag a few monster back to party.

Easy first boss battle. The Mage Story.
Ogre in the Tower - Played Follow the leader with the ogre and let the other 3 shoot at him. Switched leader when it targeted another person.
;D

Ok, so I am totally falling in love with this game. I am about 4 hours in and it just gets better. All of you who have praised the music are right on the money. The sound track for Oblivion is one of the reasons the game pulled me and this game is even better in terms of music. Again, amazing game. All of you on the fence, do yourself a favor and buy it.

Talon

Man, the 360 version has some iffy textures. The shield texture from the beginning of the game is pixelated to hell.

I'm only 2-3 hours in, but I'm enjoying myself, although I'm missing micromanaging with a mouse. Gotta say that I'm impressed by the humor so far. Alistair and Morrigan are pretty hilarious. Also,
the game's bloody as hell. I'm expecting anybody and everybody to get killed at this point!

HBroward

One of my favorite conversations is when
Leilana(sp?) and Morrigan are debating intelligent design.
This game has hilarious banter between party members. I just stand around sometime to listen to the funny things they keep saying.

Zeliard

_tetsuo_ said:
Morrigan is a fantastic character. Don't think she will be leaving my party very often.

It's hard for me to get rid of Morrigan and Alistair because they're fun to have around together.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Any news on whether the gamestop exclusive wolf thing actually makes scantily clad witches appear at night or not? I didn't end up getting a code, so I kind of wondered.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Relix said:

Right now in the Village of Haven.. Havey.. w/e. Doing the Ash quest, then will do the Circle of Magi since people say it's pretty awesome. First gotta finish this one though!

Yes, but no. Shale doesn't have the ability to learn two specializations (or well one extra) as Alistair does. I think in the long run, Alistair might turn out to be better with the equipment and weapon enhancements. But, Shale has a better sense of humor though he doesn't interact with party members as much as Alistair does.

guidop

How do you let just one player scout a head by themselves? I'm inside the church of the beacon or whatever and I need my guy to go and sneak ahead to disarm the traps by himself without the others following

Edit: to further clarify. Its the level where you and Alistair have to light the beacon and i've just made it inside the church / beacon area. There is a trap ahead with about 6 strong enemies. Want I want to do is trigger the trap and create a choke point at the doorway

So i only want 1 guy to trigger the trap and the rest of my guys to stay hidden / protected behind the walls. How do i do this?

Undeux

Damn, I cannot choose my class/origin. I'm totally torn between the elf rogue/mage choice. Are rogues worth playing?

The Question IS: PC or 360?

$10 gift card with purchase at best buy, or use my store credit at Toys R Us - but only 360 version for sale there...

My laptop is this
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-x83vm-x1-core/4505-3121_7-33361040.html

Processor 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400
Memory 4,096MB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz
Hard drive 320GB, 5,400rpm
Chipset Intel GM45 Express
Graphics 1GB Nvidia GeForce 9600M GS

Can I run this game well? I never understand the comparisons between laptop cards and desktop. L4D2 demo runs great on full settings at max resolution for my screen.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
4076339719_61ddc11b01_o.png

Erudite

And that's just for people who bought it on Steam. Wonder what the number would be if the other DD sites and retail were added in.

guidop said:
How do you let just one player scout a head by themselves? I'm inside the church of the beacon or whatever and I need my guy to go and sneak ahead to disarm the traps by himself without the others following

PC or console? On PC you press H.

corpserot

So I rolled a warrior planning to dual wield, but I haven't come across any swords I can off hand. Do I have to always use a dagger off-hand? Also, how is dual wielding compared to 2h?

Top Bottom