• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

LCfiner

whatevermort said:
I'm wary of looking at 360 achievements before playing, so here's a question: are there any achievements for using the same party for the majority of the game, a la Mass Effect?

no, but there are achievements for recruiting all possible party members and sexing up all possible party members (no, not the dog) across multiple playthroughs

If not where do I see penalties displayed?

Also where do I find flasks for potions? Really in need of more potions as I burn through ones I have in inventory at an alarming rate :)
---

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hey guys what is the best way to get gold? I've just met a dwarf merchant and he has some really nice enchanted stuff but the prices are insane.

I'll spoiler this because I know how some of you are.
In Lethwin (sp?) there is a chantry board that offers jobs. Should I just take all of the jobs there? Are there other effective ways to make coin?

I want to be rich bitch. Help me out.

Truant

Just became an Arcane Warrior!

I love how anyone could have missed that if they didn't pay attention and explore the area it was in. Good stuff, Bioware.

DietRob

Melhisedek said:
Also where do I find flasks for potions?
---

I found 6 flasks in the Lethwin camp. IIRC they were behind a wagon of sorts and showed up as 'rubble' after searching through it there were 6 flasks

DietRob

Truant said:
Just became an Arcane Warrior!

I love how anyone could have missed that if they didn't pay attention and explore the area it was in. Good stuff, Bioware.

Tell me please I don't want to miss the opportunity.
Argh.. Nevermind I want to see if I'm able to find it. I reserve the right to PM you if I don't. :lol

Arucardo

Melhisedek said:
If not where do I see penalties displayed?

Also where do I find flasks for potions? Really in need of more potions as I burn through ones I have in inventory at an alarming rate :)
---
Most merchants I've seen have them, the one in your camp has them too.

DietRob

Jefklak said:
Hey RbBrdMan you promised us juicy screenshots, stop yappin' and start postin'!

Haha.. I was hoping nobody would call me out. I'm having problems with taking screenshots because err well, just like I accused everyone else in my post I'm having way to much fun with the game.. :lol I'll take some and upload somewhere that doesn't compress them to hell tonight.

PS : Since I'm totally addicted to the game I've been stalking the social site while at work. I don't know how many of you have been there or seen this but they have a very integrated 'Projects' area. Several mods have been outlined by the community over there. I'm telling you guys the mods for this game are going to reach epic levels. http://social.bioware.com/project/108/#details .. Please don't shit this up with the mod / no mod debate we already did that.

DieH@rd

Banned
Here is my noble hero:

ejsnjo.jpg

wlrb86.jpg

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Melhisedek said:
So is wearing mail as a rogue bad for you in any sense?

It can be.. heavier armor increases the Fatigue cost of your attacks. So if you are decked out in mail and have large (20% or higher) increase it could make things frustrating. Especially given how slow fatigue recharges.

edit: lol basically what the screenshot with the nekkid man says

GreekWolf

What are the most important stats for a Bard?

I'm starting over with an Elven female Bard but can't decide if I need to allocate more points into strength/constitution for fighting or dexterity/magic for jamming on my guitar.

Ploid 3.0

GreekWolf said:
What are the most important stats for a Bard?

I'm starting over with an Elven female Bard but can't decide if I need to allocate more points into strength/constitution for fighting or dexterity/magic for jamming on my guitar.

Cunning makes their songs more powerful. Also since bards are good at fighting dex and stuff as well.

Naeblish

Number 2 said:
It can be.. heavier armor increases the Fatigue cost of your attacks. So if you are decked out in mail and have large (20% or higher) increase it could make things frustrating. Especially given how slow fatigue recharges.

edit: lol basically what the screenshot with the nekkid man says
Also, i had all my defense skills on active on my main and alistair, but they add to fatigue too, they could use like 2 active skills per battle. Only turning them on in big battles now.

Is anyone actually leaving the frame buffer effects on?

I thought I need glasses using them for a few minutes. How could bioware possibly think that looked good?

The only thing is the color is better with them on. It gets dark when you shut them off.

Whats the deal with them?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
GreekWolf said:
Ahhh... cunning. Thanks mate. I figured I was missing something.
Maybe also some Willpower to get more Stamina. The songs upkeep is not that high really.. but add on another toggle combat skill and you start to get low.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Game's ridiculously good so far (PC version for me), but the combat is really pushing the limits of what's possible with a real-time system, even with the pausability and tactics. Things are simply too chaotic, and that's exacerbated by the lack of transparency for the abilities (I have no idea how much damage most of my spells are supposed to do, or their durations, or lots of other key pieces of information).

I wish Bioware would've gone with turn-based combat instead; it's not like Pokemon, Final Fantasy, or Dragon Quest aren't successful.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I wish magic didn't increase the potency of pots and what not. Otherwise i would have no reason to put any points in there as a warrior. And i really have no idea what a good balance of stats is. As a dwarf/noble/war/reaver i'm at this for stats. at level 6.

Strength 24
Dexterity 16
Willpower 14
Magic 11
Cunning 10
Constitution 19

GreekWolf

Number 2 said:
Maybe also some Willpower to get more Stamina. The songs upkeep is not that high really.. but add on another toggle combat skill and you start to get low.
Good advice. I threw in a Willpower point just for good measure.

Wow, as much as I thoroughly enjoyed the Human Noble story, the opening to the Daylish Elf origin has been even better. Goodbye social life, I barely knew ye...

chico

Chairman Yang said:
I wish Bioware would've gone with turn-based combat instead; it's not like Pokemon, Final Fantasy, or Dragon Quest aren't successful.

no no no... if you want turn based combat go play your jrpgs, there are plenty! the combat system is great as it is now.

LCfiner

yay, my character profile is finally up.

clicky

Dalim the elvish mage. I got a ton of trinkets that boost up the willpower (+5) so I can keep more sustained spells active like flaming swords and spell wisp.

I'm also glad I put skill points into coercion. I always get a kick out of those special dialog options.

I should be able to get my first specialization tonight after I get through Redcliffe. I still have no idea what I'm gonna pick... well, probably not shapeshifter since I intend to keep Morrigan in my party.

BattleMonkey said:
So is the collectors edition blood dragon armor pretty much useless if your not gonna play a warrior? High ass str requirement.

put it on one of your warrior party members down the line.

DietRob

Melhisedek said:
Doing quests posted on boards nets you a nice gold reward :) Do you guys do them or just go through main story?

I'm going to start doing them. I want to be RICH!!

Speaking of the Blood Dragon armor. Am I the only person that thinks bioware did this one as quickly as they could? I mean it looks terrible, blurry and lacking in detail compared to any other armor in the game.

Lostconfused said:
Speaking of the Blood Dragon armor. Am I the only person that thinks bioware did this one as quickly as they could? I mean it looks terrible, blurry and lacking in detail compared to any other armor in the game.

Oh wait, it's armor for Mass Effect ONE?

BenjaminBirdie said:
Oh wait, it's armor for Mass Effect ONE?
Hahaha, no its for Dragon Age and ME2 when it comes out. I guess its all going to be linked to your Bioware social account.

Edit: I just mean it doesn't look as good as any other armor in the game. But then again maybe it looks perfectly fine on the 360.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Was the Mass Effect Dragon Age armor for preorders only?

its in the CE

im gonna grab this today at lunch...fukkit

wish i could get those isometric angles on ps3 though. heres hoping for an iso patch

Swag

Lostconfused said:

I don't think it looks that bad, I like it. I like the Warden Commander set the most though, other then that all my character's have been in the same armor set for quite a while.

Just finished the Circle Tower section of the game, and god damn the fade was HARD. Had to turn down the difficulty to easy in order to get past it.

Mindlog

So I had a dentist appointment this morning and now I'm going to get some game time in.

Where can I find gall bladders? I've got the Chanter's Job to collect 9 which I already had from... an earlier encounter, but I only have 11. I want the full reward! Where can I find more Devouring Corpses zombies?

I was blown away when my survival training randomly came into use :lol

Ploid 3.0 said:
The Amazon preorder bonuses are sent out now. Check your emails.

Got mine.

Hari Seldon said:
My Amazon pre-order codes were sitting in my inbox this morning. Received at 2:56am EST.

Thanks for the heads up, been waiting on those. Of course those items would have been a lot more handy when I first started the game. Still, I guess any new characters I may will appreciate them.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Was the Mass Effect Dragon Age armor for preorders only?

It comes with any every copy of the game, unless you get it used because the code will have probably already been used.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am getting my ass kicked in the Urn dungeon at the end with two mages and that Kotair guy... damn.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
After playing through all the different origin stories/vignettes im going to have to say that the Human Noble and Dalish Elf ones are the worst. They are still good but they are pretty short and just so very straight forward in comparison to the Dwarfs and the Magi ones. i think my favorite was the Dwarf Noble one. Also i like how the stories kind of all reference to each other. Especially seeing little things.. like
Rica
in the Dwarf Noble area.

edit: i think its really worth the few hours it takes to go through all of them. They not only bring you up to speed to whats going on in the world but the stuff you learn about combat and different situations helps to give a fuller understanding. Still wish i knew some solid numbers though. Its annoying when you dont know exactly what a spell/skill will do or how long it will last (stun duration, etc). Its the reason i have kept myself from dumping too many points into things. Without a way to respec i would rather have it a little tougher than find myself totally gimped 50 hours in.

Ploid 3.0

Melhisedek said:
Doing quests posted on boards nets you a nice gold reward :) Do you guys do them or just go through main story?

I just found out about it and was talking to some people on a forum. Made this picture to show them.
15cipau.jpg

On my way to try the first quest.

Liberty4all

Banned
dollartaco said:
How do you get the war hound?
I completed the camp quest for the medicine and he told me to "come back in a day or two." Then the battle...

I am also wondering about this ...

LiK

Amazon just emailed me my preorder bonus codes, woot.

btw, i love the voice acting. so friggin' awesome. a lot of subtle bits of emotion to even the most minor bits of a story.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Ploid 3.0 said:
I just found out about it and was talking to some people on a forum. Made this picture to show them.

On my way to try the first quest.

You get a really nice chunk of change for that if i remember. Its
3 golds
iirc.

Top Bottom