• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball fans, how do you feel about the inclusion of GT content in future games?

Firemind

It was emtional, but good? I'll give it to you if you answer two questions.

Why did Goku leave witha Shenron and then fused with him and the Dragon Balls?

What part of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z or GT set that finale up in a way that makes sense?
Does anything in DB ever has to make sense? It's a great sendoff of Goku, which Z never really did.

Fj0823

Does anything in DB ever has to make sense? It's a great sendoff of Goku, which Z never really did.

The freaking ending should at least make a lick of sense with the story. Like Z's did.

Also Z did send off Goku just fine, he finds an apprentice, says goodbye and leaves to train with him.

Simple and effective. Like the whole show

Kieli

SSJ4 is dope af, and I never liked that SSJ4 Gogeta was cocky. Vegito should be cocky because he has more Vegetta character, but Gogeta should be the more reasoned one.

NeonZ

Z never really did because it doesn't fit his character well. Toriyama back in the 90s publicly complained about Toei attempting to make Goku seem too heroic in their anime original content, and a "sacrifice to save the world" ending really encapsulates all that.

Khezu

I personally think both GT and Super are terrible, I guess for different reasons.

Though SS4 is at least cool, unlike blue.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
For the games with like a 100 character roster it's fine, for games like Dragon Ball Fighter Z, it would be a shame.

I think gt was terrible and ruined every character that wasn't goku. Not a viewer of new dragonball content anymore so wouldn't be bothered if they decide to bring gt content into the game. Wouldn't use them most likely.

Jezan

I'm sorry but I love GT. For my kid-self it was a nice change for three reasons:

The show was a little bit more raypunkish, even if it was only the first half where they went exploring space, including Trunks outfit change and Giru.

Goku's stupidity , childishness and lack of maturity was easier to take thanks to seeing him as a kid and not an adult, if there is something I can't stand anymore is Goku's personality, grow up you fucking imbecile.

Pan is cool.

So for me more GT is good, even though there is almost nothing to draw from.

MiguelItUp

To this day I've never seen an episode of GT and I'm more than fine with that. I've seen the art and the inclusion of content in previous games, but that was more than enough for me. It just always looked so forced and felt tacky to me.

The freaking ending should at least make a lick of sense with the story. Like Z's did.

Also Z did send off Goku just fine, he finds an apprentice, says goodbye and leaves to train with him.

Simple and effective. Like the whole show

Good one.

GT's ending didn't make sense at all.

But can someone explain why Goku, a man with instant transmission, has to leave his home for years to train with a village boy reincarnation of Buu, rather than just training with him once a day and going back home to his own family?

Pizza

I fucking love GT and the movies. I'm enjoying super so far, but golden frieza and super saiyan with blue hair dye are the weakest transformations in the entire series imo. 4 and Perfect + Cooler were waaaay more interesting additions.

I prefer the "all the movies and GT are canon" version of dragon ball to "nothing is canon outside db, z, and super" version.

I love all of it though. Super is really fun and I like seeing everyone fight each other.

I figure SSGSS is a base powerlevel transformation whereas 4 needs blutz waves.

I really want cooler and ss4 goku in fighter z. I love how xenoverse 2 used the movies and super for the story and GT for the parallel quests.

javac

I remember playing Final Bout back when it came out, the game wasn't good but seeing all those characters without any prior knowledge of GT was cool as fuck. Dat blue gi.

Sony

Nintendo
Its "fanfiction" that actually expands on DB and Z's themes, builds upon the World DB and Z established and actually finishes character arcs started in Z. All written by the original author...

The fact that it's written by the original author doesn't mean anything. The Star Wars prequels were written and directed by Lucas.
Also, no, it doesn't expand on Z's themes it completely takes another direction into otherworldly deities.

Also Vegeta's role in Super is amazingly well done for everyone who gives a crap about his character development beyond punching stuff.

Stuff like this,

gifit_1490623316880.gif

Makes you realize how far Vegeta has come, even if it's a comedic moment...

Vegeta showed character development throughout Z without making him look like slapstick comedic relief. From the Android saga forward, sacrificing himself in the Buu saga, accepting Goku as his superior... It was a logical direction. Do I like his involvement with the family in Super? Sure. But that was also done well in GT.

It was emtional, but good? I'll give it to you if you answer two questions.

Why did Goku leave witha Shenron and then fused with him and the Dragon Balls?

What part of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z or GT set that finale up in a way that makes sense?

Are you kidding me? The Cell Saga's finale was Goku wanting to stay dead to protect the Earth. His life is correlated with bad things happening, Androids, Cell, Buu etc. It was completely in line with that reasoning for Goku to retreat at the end of GT. Goku's character in Super is completely a 180 to him finally becoming responsible. His moronic fightlust with anything that moves has gotten Earth into trouble multiple times now in Super.

Also, the final arc of GT revolved around the Z Fighters' carelessness with the dragonballs. The adventures of Dragonball started with the focus on the magic ball in Goku's possession and it fits thematically to end the series with his.

Dude the ending of GT is bulletproof man.

Magwik

Banned
If GT is so good why did Toriyama go out of his way to make new Dragon Ball content to distance the brand from GT?

Karsha

Goku was dead at the end of GT, him emerging with the spirit ball was a final wish that the dragonball granted him at the cost of going away forever with them, thats how I thought about that ending and it makes perfect sense with Vegeta telling Pan to keep Goku's tshirt and Goku suddenly becoming bulletproof to Omega's attack ...

Kyzon

I'd like it added as what if stories or DLC content. I enjoy GT, and it has some cool designs, but I'd much rather more Super Content since it has soooooooooo many more characters.

Sony

Nintendo
If GT is so good why did Toriyama go out of his way to make new Dragon Ball content to distance the brand from GT?

If Dragonball is so good why did Toriyama go out of his was to make new Dragonball content to distance the brand further from Dragonball?

If Dragonball Z is so good why did Toriyama go out of his was to make new Dragonball content to distance the brand further from Dragonball Z?

GT is a story, Super is a story. A new story doesn't need to have the intention to best the old story, but to tell a different story.

Goku was dead at the end of GT, him emerging with the spirit ball was a final wish that the dragonball granted him at the cost of going away forever with them, thats how I thought about that ending and it makes perfect sense with Vegeta telling Pan to keep Goku's tshirt and Goku suddenly becoming bulletproof to Omega's attack ...

Also, Goku mentioned Shenron's body feeling warm when Shenron carried him, symbolizing his death (cold body). End of GT is executed to perfection.

Fj0823

If Dragonball is so good why did Toriyama go out of his was to make new Dragonball content to distance the brand further from Dragonball?

If Dragonball Z is so good why did Toriyama go out of his was to make new Dragonball content to distance the brand further from Dragonball Z?

GT is a story, Super is a story. A new story doesn't need to have the intention to best the old story, but to tell a different story.

He didn't?? DBZ does not overwrite DB everything appening in DB plays a part in Z, DB events are the reason for Dr. Gero's androids.

Hell, the manga isn't even called "Z"

Super references Z AND DB a lot.

GT was completely written out of existence.

Try Harder.

And calling GT ending Bulletproof and Goku Heroic...lmao.

Piers

SSJ4 is dope af, and I never liked that SSJ4 Gogeta was cocky. Vegito should be cocky because he has more Vegetta character, but Gogeta should be the more reasoned one.
IIRC, wasn't Gogeta's cockiness to goad Shenron into pouring all his negative energy into an attack?
Once that was dealt with Gogeta seemed to get right into trying to finish him off.

Justinh

I'm sorry but I love GT. For my kid-self it was a nice change for three reasons:

The show was a little bit more raypunkish, even if it was only the first half where they went exploring space, including Trunks outfit change and Giru.
Yeah, I still think the beginning of DBGT is pretty cool where they're like planet hopping. I love love the first opening too. To me it just screams "adventure." One of my favorite themes after ChaLa and Angel (although ending songs Boogie Back and YokaYoka Dance are pretty great too)
Goku's stupidity , childishness and lack of maturity was easier to take thanks to seeing him as a kid and not an adult, if there is something I can't stand anymore is Goku's personality, grow up you fucking imbecile.
One of the parts of Z that I absolutely hate and kinds hate Goku now because of it is when after Videl gets beaten the eff up and is in critical condition. Goku goes off to get a Senzu but on the way back gets distracted and his arrival is delayed because he was busy eating. I freaking hate that! (Granted, this doesn't happen in the manga). Best Goku is Goku slapping random people's crotches going "Hey! You're a girl, right?" to me.

yurinka

GT never existed, so doesn't need to appear in future games. At least not before they included all the content from the previous series before.

Fj0823

GT never existed, so doesn't need to appear in future games. At least not before they included all the content from the previous series before.

This is my position but if they can add them without taking space from canon characters, then they should. No excuses

He didn't?? DBZ does not overwrite DB everything appening in DB plays a part in Z, DB events are the reason for Dr. Gero's androids.

Hell, the manga isn't even called "Z"

Try Harder.

Lol yeah, I have no idea what that guy is trying to say. "Z" was literally just the second half of the original Dragon Ball manga.

As someone that only follows Super very loosely, what is it with GT fans shitting on it every time they try and defend the latter?

Sony

Nintendo

Try Harder.

Read the final paragraph of my post. Super took a different turn from where Z left off than GT. It leads to creative freedom. It's not zomg lololol GT sux retconnn. Of course Super can't reference GT because part of the story is set in a very different period in time and probably a whole different time-line altogether. GT's story was told, period. I see a recurring pattern with the anti GT people: ask a question/criticise GT -> Get a substantiated reply to your question -> ignore. But it's alright it's been like that forever.

Fj0823

Lol yeah, I have no idea what that guy is trying to say. "Z" was literally just the second half of the original Dragon Ball manga.

As someone that only follows Super very loosely, what is it with GT fans shitting on it every time that try and defend the latter?

"GT is better because GT aired when I was kid!"

I love the characters in GT to be honest.

I also think GT had two really great story concepts; the Baby saga and the evil dragons. Just executed poorly.

LotusHD

Banned

As someone that only follows Super very loosely, what is it with GT fans shitting on it every time that try and defend the latter?

Probably cuz people shit on GT too, even before Super was a thing. With Super being a thing, now GT fans can try and say that Super is the worst of the bunch, that GT at least wasn't that bad at the end of the day.

At the beginning of Super, they had a case as the show was really rough. But now? Lol no

L Thammy

Yeah, I still think the beginning of DBGT is pretty cool where they're like planet hopping. I love love the first opening too. To me it just screams "adventure." One of my favorite themes after ChaLa and Angel (although ending songs Boogie Back and YokaYoka Dance are pretty great too)

The planet hopping is the part of GT I watched, and it was fairly boring to me. It felt like a completely distinct generic anime that had Dragonball slapped over it.

There's nothing between Pilaf's wish and Baby that so much as references existing Dragonball lore. Up until General Rilldo there's nothing that continues the scale of Dragonball fights. Pan might as well be an original character, Trunks exchanges kid Trunks' mischievousness for Future Trunks' seriousness without having any or Future Trunks' other traits (e.g. daddy issues), so Goku's basically the only proper returning character.

It could get better later. I did like the Rilldo fight, felt a lot like the Z movies. But the rest of that arc is blah as far as I'm concerned.

Fj0823

Read the final paragraph of my post. Super took a different turn from where Z left off than GT. It leads to creative freedom. It's not zomg lololol GT sux retconnn. Of course Super can't reference GT because part of the story is set in a very different period in time. GT's story was told, period. I see a recurring pattern with the anti GT people: ask a question/criticise GT -> Get a substantiated reply to your question -> ignore. But it's alright it's been like that forever.

Its not an entirely different direction, Gods were a continuously growing world even in Z. Kami, Kaio, Supreme Kais...All with their hierarchy and reasons for existing.

They did not took a different path from Z, they expanded a prominent Z element and made it the base for new stories.

Again, Try Harder.

Zomba13

I actually liked most of GT but with it being non-canon and with how there is now Super it feels weird to keep it in games and stuff. I mean, obviously they will keep doing it because of marketing and people like the stuff and everything, it just seem weird now to have GT characters and the like where nothing from Super happens so no god Ki, no SSB, no Beerus.

Pizza

I like both lol. I like gt as an end for the DB series, and super is a good followup too. Super goes wild with the DB mythology and pantheon of gods but it's also waaaay sillier, more in line with DB rather than Z.

I'm following the dub, so rn I've been bored of both frieza and beerus before their multi episode fights are over, and I find the core concept of Super Sayian blue to be dumb, but the filler and in between stuff is sooooo good. Piccolo and Goku getting their driver's lisences good. GT (as of now) had a story direction I liked more, I liked SS4 more than blue, and I really liked the antagonists and fights. The dialogue was not at all something to fawn over though.

Both have strengths and weaknesses to me. Super is probably a stronger series overall, but I still really dig GT

brinstar

As someone that only follows Super very loosely, what is it with GT fans shitting on it every time they try and defend the latter?

I think it's because GT fans are defensive of it being dumped on for 20 years straight lol. So whenever there's a crack in Toriyama's continuation's armor it becomes a chance to pump up GT over it or whatever.

I don't even think GT is as bad as the fanbase makes it out to be. But I do think it's a weird show to plant a flag over. I remember watching most of it during its original Japanese broadcast and the interest in the show couldn't be lower.

MadMod

Loved DBZ all my life, characters from the GT series are great for fighting games, add the movie ones in too. Love variety. Really don't want the same old characters just from DBZ.

Quebaz

GT has some cool character designs and attacks.

As far as fighting games go, they're always a plus, I personally was never disappointed by having SS4 Goku or Super 17 in any of the games.

L Thammy

GT has some cool character designs and attacks.

As far as fighting games go, they're always a plus, I personally was never disappointed by having SS4 Goku or Super 17 in any of the games.

SS4 Goku is in Final Bout!

...Please don't play Final Bout.

royox

He doesn't. He has the same yellow pants kid goku has. And vegeta already wears leather pants. SSJ4 doesn't give them clothes.

Goku went from:
2859238-VegetaGoldenGreatApe.jpg

To
45A.jpg

Growing pants, boots, wristbands, leather belt.

Vegeta went from
tumblr_lra52hQro81qjqtvbo1_500.jpg

to

latest

Growing pants, boots, globes, belt.

The worst part is that Goku even goes from
goku12.jpg

to

latest

Changing the wristbands colors, losing the upper body, totally changing what he's wearing on the feet, changing the leather belt and enlargering the pants.

No.
Fucking.
Sense.

Sony

Nintendo
Again the same old hollow LOLGT posts. Super is a worse offender of almost every criticism GT endired.
- "GT Animations are bad!" The animations and art style are still worse than GT
- "The Power levels are all over the place!" Secret Poacher training, 4 months of torturing a weak foot soldier makes you almost as strong as a God, Roshi somehow besting Tien that gave Semi-Perfect Cell a run for his money. Trunks SS2 being SSG level etc.
- "The enemies are Bland!" Goku Black's premise is stolen from GT, yet the execution was bad. Have we ever seen Hit fighting? I mean actual fighting, not punching Goku during timeskip.
- "Why is Goku SS4 called SS?? It's not an actual SS!" Yet in super we're OK to call a God form, which is ridiculous to begin with, Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.

Note that Super is at 99 episodes and counting while GT only had 64. No doubt there will be a period in which the quality of Super surpasses GT, but so far, just as the points above outline, it's worse than GT.

Quebaz

SS4 Goku is in Final Bout!

...Please don't play Final Bout.

That's not a problem with SS4, it's a problem by the game being terrible, how did TOSE manage to make that when just months earlier they did the brilliant Hyper Dimension I'll never understand.

This is the most ironic thing I've ever seen and if you spent 2 minutes in the Dbs thread you'd feel mad freaking silly

Loved DBZ all my life, characters from the GT series are great for fighting games, add the movie ones in too. Love variety. Really don't want the same old characters just from DBZ.
This

Top Bottom