• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball fans, how do you feel about the inclusion of GT content in future games?

PSqueak

Banned
I find that the general reaction of dragon ball fans to GT is absolutely ridiculous, exaggerated, unjustified and stopped being funny to pretend to be outraged like 15 years ago.

Kinda like people pretending "pineapple on pizza" is serious business.

L Thammy

Have we ever seen Hit fighting? I mean actual fighting, not punching Goku during timeskip.

...What? How does using a technique mean he's not fighting? We've seen him use it for both attack and defense.

"Why is Goku SS4 called SS?? It's not an actual SS!" Yet in super we're OK to call a God form, which is ridiculous to begin with, Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.

Again, what? The complaint you mentioned about Super Saiyan 4 is that the name is not accurate. Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is a pretty straightforward description of the form. It's using godly ki to go Super Saiyan; it's the equivalent of the Super Saiyan form using the ki that Goku unlocked from his Super Saiyan God form. If the complaint was that the Super Saiyan 4 name sounded bad, then yeah, you could say Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is the same thing, but that's not the even the strawman you brought up.

I'm not even arguing against GT here, I'm just really confused by the posts you're trying to make.

Reset

I think the SS4 Goku, Gogeta, Omega Shenron, and Baby designs are great. Actually prefer it over the Blue and Pink Super Saiyans, and Golden Frieza. Heh, thinking about it the character designs in GT were better than Super.
Story wise.... there has yet to be an arc in Super that is as good as the Baby arc.

This is the most ironic thing I've ever seen and if you spent 2 minutes in the Dbs thread you'd feel mad freaking silly

This

Yeah, well I know GT gets shit on. I don't particularly think it's brilliant, but I hardly think it's the worst shit ever.

It's just the people getting defensive feel the need to crap on another show. Maybe they don't like Super, fair enough. But you know, try actually defending the thing you like instead of doing the last resort "well at least it's better than *insert whatever here*".

Sony

Nintendo
...What? How does using a technique mean he's not fighting? We've seen him use it for both attack and defense.

I mean actual fight choreography, we've barely seen any of that.

Again, what? The complaint you mentioned about Super Saiyan 4 is that the name is not accurate. Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is a pretty straightforward description of the form. It's using godly ki to go Super Saiyan; it's the equivalent of the Super Saiyan form using the ki that Goku unlocked from his Super Saiyan God form. If the complaint was that the Super Saiyan 4 name sounded bad, then yeah, you could say Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is the same thing, but that's not the even the strawman you brought up.

I'm not even arguing against GT here, I'm just really confused by the posts you're trying to make.

A vast array of the anti SS4 naming is aimed at the notion that SS4 is the controlled form of great ape and thus shouldn't be called a Super Saiyan. Super Saiyan God by that metric shouldn't be called SS either as it's not an actual SS form, it's God Ki control.

Yeah, well I know GT gets shit on. I don't particularly think it's brilliant, but I hardly think it's the worst shit ever.

It's just the people getting defensive feel the need to crap on another show. Maybe they don't like Super, fair enough. But you know, try actually defending the thing you like instead of doing the last resort "well at least it's better than *insert whatever here*".

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=243497958

This is exactly what happens and I don't get it on both sides it's stupid same damn series at that

Welp

Fj0823

A vast array of the anti SS4 naming is aimed at the notion that SS4 is the controlled form of great ape and thus shouldn't be called a Super Saiyan. Super Saiyan God by that metric shouldn't be called SS either as it's not an actual SS form, it's God Ki control.

He is not the type to make a complicated "choreographed" fights...his entire style is about calculated precision blows while looking like he's not even noving. Not blowing millions punches and counters, he doesn't need to...It's characterization...It's what makes him cool and memorable.

No one looks at this
dragon-ball-super-37-next-time.gif

And thinks "woah he totally needs choreographed fights with those powers"

Regarding SSB. It's Super Saiyan while using a different type of Ki, Goku makes it abundantly clear...Jesus christ

"So this is how my Super Saiyan Form looks when I use it while channeling a different type of Ki"

"Lol then you're not a super saiyan lmao"

....what?

L Thammy

Again, how is it not "actual fight choreography" just because he uses a particular move? You haven't explained that.

No, god ki control is how you access Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. You can still use Super Saiyan forms after by not using god ki to transform. It's still a Super Saiyan transformation. Saying that it's an inaccurate name still doesn't make any sense.

Mister Wolf

Its them using the same old Super Saiyan power boost while channeling god ki. Saiyans give off red hue god ki that turns blue in super saiyan. Goku's normal ki goes from white aura to golden aura with super saiyan. Its really not hard to understand. The Super Saiyan transformation changes the color of their aura which also reflects in their hair like a light bulb giving off a particular color spectrum of light.

13ruce

Banned
I don't mind GT actually i kinda liked it not as much as the Z series i admit but still good enough.

I really like the SS4 design looks freaking amazing imo.

Sou Da

GT at it's start was a least progress and new adventuring format before it devolved into yet more Z. Super is just more Z period and a lot of it is mediocre.

Design wise I think almost every new character in GT is better than Super's.

EDIT 2: Can Goten and Trunks just fucking age already?

LotusHD

Banned
GT at it's start was a least progress and new adventuring format before it devolved into yet more Z. Super is just more Z period and a lot of it is mediocre.

The writing was on the wall with its premise being Goku getting turned into a kid tbh

I treat it like the movies. I know it's not Canon but that doesn't keep it from being fun. More is always better. We'll never if blue or S4 is stronger but I don't care at this point.

Sony

Nintendo
He is not the type to make a complicated "choreographed" fights...his entire style is about calculated precision blows while looking like he's not even noving. Not blowing millions punches and counters, he doesn't need to...It's characterization...It's what makes him cool and memorable.

No one looks at this
dragon-ball-super-37-next-time.gif

And thinks "woah he totally needs choreographed fights with those powers"

Regarding SSB. It's Super Saiyan while using a different type of Ki, Goku makes it abundantly clear...Jesus christ

"So this is how my Super Saiyan Form looks when I use it while channeling a different type of Ki"

"Lol then you're not a super saiyan lmao"

....what?

Again, how is it not "actual fight choreography" just because he uses a particular move? You haven't explained that.

Regarding the fight choreography, or lack thereof, that's Hit's fighting style I would say. Different folks, different strokes. I'm trying to say that GT is critisized for boring enemies while Hit's schtick gets old fast. It's lazy. When Goku figured him out, instead of being forced to actually fight him, he increased his timeskip duration. His schtick is to hit his enemy while he doesn't move. His whole fight with Goku was, Timeskip -> Goku increases his speed > Longer Timeskip > Faster Goku > Longer Timeskip > Faster Goku. The first few minutes of the fight were great. From then onward it became uninspiring.

Regarding the SSG naming, SSG is not a SS form. It should have been called Saiyan God. It's nitpicking, but so is SS4.

kunonabi

I love the characters in GT to be honest.

I also think GT had two really great story concepts; the Baby saga and the evil dragons. Just executed poorly.

Yeah early GT is great when it's basically old school DB before they cut the dragonball quest short to just focus on Baby. The Dragon arc was great until Omega Shenron and ending things with a damn spirit bomb again. Had they actually stuck with Trunks and Pan being important instead of just focusing on Goku it could have been really good.

I'll also second that the ending was probably the most fitting conclusion the series will probably ever see.

Slime

Banned
GT seems to lose any creative momentum whatsoever after the first dozen or so episodes. It's a fun and admittedly inconsequential gag adventure show at the start, but in my opinion that's where Dragon Ball has aways been its strongest.

It's when it starts trying to be an off-brand DBZ clone that it just gets dumb, boring and kind of weird. All the humor falls flat and the dramatic moments don't land at all. It's just a whole lotta nothin'. Even the blandest episodes of Super have more life in them.

Fj0823

That made SSB worth it for me lol

I think that's the exact moment Super started amassing goodwill. People were really iffy at the beginning of the Tournament and even up to Vegeta's fights.

That scene is more iconic that anything in GT.

On par with Z's best Power-up moments

I think that's the exact moment Super started amassing goodwill. People were really iffy at the beginning of the Tournament and even up to Vegeta's fights.

What ah never mind why bother

I find it funny in Xenoverse we have GT Trunks but not GT Goten.

What was the last game to have GT Goten?
Cant think of any game that has Gt or end of z goten and it's tragic

Skeeter49

One thing I did genuinely like in GT, was when Baby Goten and Baby Gohan attacked Goku, Goku talks about how he failed as a parent.

I also like how Goku talked about the saiyans more than he did in Z, or in Super. But part of that was because we didn't have Vegeta in it as much to be the one talking about the saiyans every 5 minutes. In a way it was out of character for Goku.

Fj0823

One thing I did genuinely like in GT, was when Baby Goten and Baby Gohan attacked Goku, Goku talks about how he failed as a parent.

I also like how Goku talked about the saiyans more than he did in Z, or in Super. But part of that was because we didn't have Vegeta in it as much to be the one talking about the saiyans every 5 minutes. In a way it was out of character for Goku.

As is him being worried about being a father lol

This one
MAJOR SPOILERS

That's just the good part, the scene has a lot more buildup

Is....this before or after the animation was supposed to get better?

Dragon Ball GT was a mistake fueled by greed. Let it die.

but Super is.....???

I'll at least give GT credit for having it's own ideas. It initially tried to restore an element of adventure to the series post DBZ

Super is just.......an animated fanfic. Like it's the real life Dragonball AF

NeonZ

I find it funny in Xenoverse we have GT Trunks but not GT Goten.

What was the last game to have GT Goten?

I think the only game with GT Goten is Dragonball Heroes. Technically he's an npc in DBGT Transformation, I guess.

Here's a clip with Super's current art style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErLZBszCgDs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXT1VOlZJTs

Skeeter49

As is him being worried about being a father lol

Agreed. It's kind of funny comparing that scene to the first episode of Super, where he let's Goten drive the tractor, and then complains Goten is messing with his training when Goten falls to his death.

Super has had one amazing father/ son moment, well 3 moments, but it's through fighting and that comes out more naturally than Goku saying out loud I'm a good parent, or I'm not a good parent. That's just not Goku's style.

Lol yea why give the man growth absurd

Baby vegeta would be so dope! Tenkaichi 3 will forever be the goat for having everything
GT, and Super, took away Goku's biggest development. Growth was a lost cause for Goku after that. Which is weird considering GT started with Goku training Uub. The one thing Z pushed Goku towards was him believing in the next generation of fighters. First Gohan, then Gotenks, then Uub.

but Super is.....???

I'll at least give GT credit for having it's own ideas. It initially tried to restore an element of adventure to the series post DBZ

Super is just.......an animated fanfic. Like it's the real life Dragonball AF
Episodes didn't get consistently good until the latest arc. So post episode 76.
The Universe 6 Tournament had it's issues, but was a huge step up from RoF. It was big at the time after suffering through RoF. The FT arc was when things started getting good, but there were still the bad looking episode every now and then.

Gohan being relevant in Super has given more more enjoyment than anything in GT. I had more enjoyment out of GT from speculating what would happen, thinking Pan would be relevant, thinking Majuub would be relevant. Never happened.

LotusHD

Banned

That was definitely "the moment" DBS started being looked at more positively. A much smaller moment was Vegeta vs. Cabba, but yea, this was a dope moment. My friends and I actually got hype for once, even saw an article or two pop up discussing how great the episode was.

Top Bottom