• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Alienous

For the record, it's clear they designed 18's super before 17 became a main character. So I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of fan service for him in her super attack. But that just makes the attack cooler I guess. And they can give him another team attack with 18 as his super to make it even.

Yeah, it's all dependent on how much 17's a part of 18's moveset. Initially I was thinking about him being implemented like Sorbet is in Frieza's moveset - a pseudo-assist character - but if it is just a super move (which the Budokai series also did) he'd probably be DLC.

As per your suggestion it could even end up being cool if they're a part of each other's super move, especially if they maintain their palette if they're part of your team. It could be a good way of showing their special synergy.

mas8705

When does Garlic Jr. get revealed?

VB7vL2J.gif

cordy

Banned
How would DBS Future Trunks differ from DBZ Future Trunks? Not seeing any reason for him being in the game with the DBZ version already there. Is he going to get mad for his super or summon Mei?
He's very popular, the lead hero of that arc and besides that he's got a lot of different skills that he didn't have in Z even if they're more forms, sword attacks and moves from others. You can do a good amount with him but the main reason I say he'll be DLC is because at the end of the day it's another Trunks. No reason to have him in the base game of the first installment. If he's in he could be great as a DLC character or a character added in a sequel.
Pretty much this. I think everyone is overreacting. IMO 17 is a lock for the main roster now that we have 16 and 18 confirmed. Just because they didn't announce them all at once doesn't really mean anything.
Nah I don't think it works that way. If there was any time to announce 17, it should have been now especially with that specific text, the other Androids being shown and most importantly 17 himself being shown in 18's portion. If he were coming in the future they likely wouldn't have shown him here and especially considering the devs have been very secretive towards who's potentially in the game in interviews. That would blow their whole spot up.
You only have to put yourself in the shoes of someone building a Dragon Ball Z/Super fighting game roster in early 2016 to know which characters will and won't be in it.

Android 17 wouldn't have made any sense at the time. Android 18 is guaranteed, and Android 16 has a more distinct moveset than 17 - no amount of cool looking elbows and backflips will change that.

This is why you can expect characters like Dabura - in a fighting game you want the most diverse roster possible, and a red devil wearing a blue jumpsuit and wielding a sword is a big step in that direction.

Android 17 was so low on the priority list that they made him part of Android 18's moveset, which is a move I have no doubt they're kicking themselves for doing. But they couldn't have predicted the resurgence of a character who was as relevant as Launch or Raditz only a few months ago.

Goku Black and Hit will round out the Super representation, as those characters would have been in discussion when a roster was being planned. I would have expected Android 17 as a DLC character, but given that they made him and 18 into one character Caulifla seems much more likely now.

I also wouldn't expect a Super variation for Trunks. SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta are distinct forms that represent Super, but 'SSJ Rage' isn't. SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta were likely split off because having SSB as a SSJ Goku transformation would have been too many options for one character, and splitting SSB Goku means doing the same for Vegeta. But I don't see them doing Super Trunks - it feels like it would be one too many clones.

I agree with everything here except a few points.

1.) Caulifla will be one of the first characters announced in the sequel rather than a DLC pack I'd say.
2.) 17 has variety but his Super Tournament self is his best form yet so he'll be saved for a sequel given that one is way more important.
3.) Trunks getting a variation will likely be in a DLC pack or the sequel rather than the base game.
4.) Nah no Dabura. Hercule and Roshi have higher chances than dude.
if we're getting geeks like krillin and android 16, we sure as fuck better get captain ginyu

He will be in the game I'm sure.

Nice, Android 16 and Android 18 are solid choices. Don't really care much about 17 and while it would be cool to see him in the roster, I've always liked 18 and 16 better.

cordy

Banned
Everybody wanting these Super characters that aren't Beerus, Hit and Black don't worry...

Xenoverse 3 will be announced and that'll have all the characters you want from the latest arc. Don't fret yall. There ya go.

tumblr_o0q4jeYdn01qc9dlro1_500.gif

Yeah, as I've said in previous posts if any characters are 100% in the game, I would guess Beerus, Gotenks, Vegito, Ultimate Gohan, and Kid Buu. I'm like 90% sure on Broly being included, but we're not sure on movie representation yet and we have one super attack that could be attributed to Super being included, but nothing super conclusive yet.

Everybody wanting these Super characters that aren't Beerus, Hit and Black don't worry...

Xenoverse 3 will be announced and that'll have all the characters you want from the latest arc. Don't fret yall. There ya go.

Yeah, but like, people want them in a good game.

cordy

Banned
Yeah Beerus is a lock too I'm sure. I was putting him in the Z category but yeah he's definitely making it in. I see a 0 chance of him not appearing.

I would think Gotenks would probably be represented in his SSJ3 Form, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if he was in his SSJ form and SSJ3 was shown in a super like Goku's or an install.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Let's check my old list,

Goku
Vegeta

Gohan
Future Trunks
Gotenks
Tien
Krillin
Piccolo

Pan
Videl
Caulifla
Freeza
Cell
Majin Buu

Broly
Dabura
N16
N18

Ginyuu
Beerus
Hit
Merged Zamasu
Master Roshi
Mr. Satan

Now since those two were added:
Goku SSB
Vegeta SSB

I think i will remove Caulifla and Mr. Satan.

Aren't we getting a lot of characters revealed if the roster was small?

I'm beginning to get optimistic and think that the roster could have 30 characters.

Wonder if GT will be included and the reason 17 was axed is because we're getting Super 17 haha.

Totally unlikely, but I would be real mad about that.

I'm beginning to get optimistic and think that the roster could have 30 characters.

Same here, if we've had like 7 characters revealed in the last 2 months and the game isn't even gonna be out this year, I'm starting to think the roster is gonna be pretty beefy.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
....Yeah...

It's cool that 17 is in 18's super. Having a model in ASW style increases his chances of showing up later, either as DLC, in this base roster, or in a sequel, period. That's cool.

I'm really surprised to see 16. No problems with that at all, though; He's the kind of character that just gets better when he's expanded upon in games.

I'm happy to see the SSB's here. I think it's a cool looking form, and it gives them an easy way to take models they already have a lot of work on, and refine them into another direction.

Having an online Party mode is great, too. Heck, I'd love it if they let you do the same offline, so you could play Co-Op with another player or 2 through the story. It'd be a simple way to make a Story mode in a fighter seem more like an actual part of the game, rather than a 1-and-done that'd never revisited after 1 completion.

cordy

Banned
Gotenks entrance being Trunks and Goten fusing writes itself. If it's not that then fuck they've dropped the ball on that one.

bumpkin

Can't wait for Zarbon and Recoome to be playable.

tenor.gif
This exact gif popped into my head when I saw they announced 16 and 18, but only mention 17 as part of a super combo. Personally I don't care, I'd never use the Androids anyways. But there seems to be a lot of android - especially 17 - love in this thread, so I feel for you.

Gotenks would be cool, but I wonder if we'll get Vegito. Gogeta only showed up in one of the movies, right? I wonder if those are fair game as they make roster decisions or not.

RocBase

They did state that they were actively trying to make this a packed game, but never really specified in what sense (modes? roster?). It is looking like this might apply to the roster as well, yeah.

Skab

Wish we could get some footage of six characters we havent seen in action yet.

Here's hoping they put something out for gamescom or something.

Wonder if ArcSys has Bandai Namco staff assisting them with this game and can crank out characters a lot faster than Team Red. I'd imagine these chars won't be quite as unique and depthy as a GG char, esp with it being a 3v3 fighter and given what we've seen of the game so far, although it isn't much.

RocBase

Wonder if ArcSys has Bandai Namco staff assisting them with this game and can crank out characters a lot faster than Team Red. I'd imagine these chars won't be quite as unique and depthy as a GG char, esp with it being a 3v3 fighter and given what we've seen of the game so far, although it isn't much.

it isn't just team red working on this game, a whole bunch of staff from various arc teams are on this

mas8705

Wish we could get some footage of six characters we havent seen in action yet.

Here's hoping they put something out for gamescom or something.

Well we just barely found out about four of them just today, so I doubt we'll see gameplay footage for them any time soon. Still, it would be nice to see Piccolo or Krillin in motion.

cordy

Banned
Super Androids?....hmmm

This can be good or bad depending on how it goes but I love the idea that the Androids are being taken more seriously.

Everybody give Android Saga 17 or Super's Tournament 17 your energy!!!!

tumblr_oo4d0dTt1y1sq4537o1_500.gif

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread. But on the official DBFZ website, characters urls are listed as like "/characters/trunks.html". But some characters have a variant added to their name:

/characters/goku-ss.html, vegeta-ss, gohan-y, and majinboo-z.

Makes sense with SSJB Goku and Vegeta just being revealed. Not that Ultimate Gohan or Kid Buu's inclusion were doubted, but a good thing to go off if any other characters in the future have those variants in their url.

Slaythe

DHdk4iRW0AEdIAo.jpg

DHdljOdXoAAH-xZ.jpg

Man this is some kind of nightmare.

It perfectly explains why 17 wasn't included with 16 and 18 too.

And they'll always justify never making regular 17 playable "cause we already made one" despite having 14 Gokus 3 Gohan 5 Vegetas etc... in the game cause that's fine.

Feeling sick.

cordy

Banned
I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread. But on the official DBFZ website, characters urls are listed as like "/characters/trunks.html". But some characters have a variant added to their name:

/characters/goku-ss.html, vegeta-ss, gohan-y, and majinboo-z.

Since SSJB Goku and Vegeta just got revealed, it's a good indicator for which chars will have another slot. Not that Ultimate Gohan or Kid Buu's inclusion were doubted, but a good thing to go off if any other characters in the future have those variants in their url.

I believe someone stated this a few days ago, might have been Slaythe actually but yeah that's where the "there's another Gohan (Y being Youth) and another Buu coming into the game" thing came form.

I believe someone stated this a few days ago, might have been Slaythe actually but yeah that's where the "there's another Gohan (Y being Youth) and another Buu coming into the game" thing came form.

Ah yeah, I wouldn't doubt their inclusion because they were always in older tradition DB 2D fighters. I only use GAF at work, so I don't see anything posted on weekends or after 5pm EST haha. Sorry for reposting old info!

RIP 17 though. I don't think anyone on the planet would want Super 17. Especially over normal 17...

Top Bottom