• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

That leak looks suspicious but it'll be easy to confirm in a couple weeks with the beta coming up.

If they advertise that beta participants will get BANDIT YAMCHA dlc for free then we'll know.

Dragon Ball is starving for female fighters. It really wouldn't surprise me if they fast tracked Caulifla and Kale.

I don't think they're that concerned about it.

I mean that in the sense that I don't think there's some quota fighting games have to hit that they're scrambling to fulfill. 18 was the only female in Extreme Butoden. I'm pretty sure 18 and Videl were like the only girls through budokai 3

Village

Dragon Ball is starving for female fighters. It really wouldn't surprise me if they fast tracked Caulifla and Kale.

Every Dragonball is

Why would they care now?

They also starvin for brown people

And I don't think Uub will be in this game

I mean I hope he is, he probably not

Village

Because they actually have some options now

There were female characters in dbz that could fight or fight in mechs, that weren't in games before

They had options before, there are instances in a game where 17 is there and not 18. They made that choice actively.

So again why would they care now?

cordy

Banned
They could easily throw in Bulma, Chichi, Videl or even Zangya in if they want a female fighter. Maybe GT Pan. They're not going to fast track some brand as hell new female Saiyans who have never been in a DB title before simply because. They can even do Fasha if they're desperate. They have options for characters.

Dudes really be trying to bring in all these Super characters like there won't be dlc or a sequel lol.

Slaythe

Cause now they actually have female characters to use?
You may love Uub, but dude don't have a move set.

Uub's melee was far more fleshed out in that final DBZ episode than anything Caulifla has done so far.

It's not that one generic red beam she has that's suddenly gonna make her interesting.

NeonZ

There were female characters in dbz that could fight or fight in mechs, that weren't in games before

Almost every game threw 18, since she was basically the only standard female fighter in Z itself. You'd need to go back to DB to get more female fighters, and they wouldn't have Z's standard abilities like flight and ki blasts. Heck, even Zangya made into games with larger line ups fairly often for someone who was just an irrelevant movie grunt and only could be included if Bojack also was there.

They had options before, there are instances in a game where 17 is there and not 18. They made that choice actively.

17 was excluded from games with small line ups in favor of 18 almost every single time. 18 even got his barrier sometimes due to her lack of moveset. Doing a quick search right now, I can't find any game that excluded 18 in favor of 17.

So again why would they care now?

I think bullshitting their non fighting female characters as fighters was too much work/disingenuous to fans wanting an authentic experience.
Also I have no fucking clue what Z game you've been playing where 17 was in over 18.

TreIII

He does kill him in the manga.

And not in the present.

Ah, that's right. I should reread the manga soon...

They could easily throw in Bulma, Chichi, Videl or even Zangya in if they want a female fighter. Maybe GT Pan. They're not going to fast track some brand as hell new female Saiyans who have never been in a DB title before simply because. They can even do Fasha if they're desperate. They have options for characters.

Dudes really be trying to bring in all these Super characters like there won't be dlc or a sequel lol.

Zangya hasn't really been a thing in years, and the sad thing is, Butoden 2 did more interesting things with her than the movie she debuted. So, I wouldn't think she's likely.

Part of the reason I'm stumping so hard for Towa is because a) she's relevant and b) she pretty much is made for Dragonball games that tell their own stories. We can always use more villains, on the same token.

Speaking of Girls though

I want Towa

You understand me.

Slaythe

tumblr_ouxeqqOVyi1s70s7yo1_1280.jpg

mRCtTR1.gif

SMH , how could they drop the ball like this ?

Village

I think bullshitting their non fighting female characters as fighters was too much work/disingenuous to fans wanting an authentic experience.
Also I have no fucking clue what Z game you've been playing where 17 was in over 18.

But there are girls that fight that sometimes... don't show up? Do I want female characters, sure, but I don't think " there aren't a lot of girls" is something that's being thought about when the roster was decided, not because i'm not saying anyone at namco is like socially oblivious. But the brand they are working with, unless toriyama strait out says " i wanted to make more female characters because this thing lacks female characters" I don't think the folks doing super care too much. And I don't think namco was going about that too much when doing this roster.

I think it would be ,who would make a unique moveset, who's popular. And those two things weighing against each other.

My bad on the 17 and 18 thing, I swore someone made metion in this thread about that

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so is 17 a big part of super or something, or are all these just pulled form the same 2 eps?

kinda makes me want to watch super if he is

Man I'm torn.

I want to watch the JP version after seeing a lot these gifs. Super is probably gonna be fun.

But Old Lady Goku makes me want to kill myself.

So I'm just now getting to new stuff following the dubbed version :(

Slaythe

so is 17 a big part of super or something, or are all these just pulled form the same 2 eps?

kinda makes me want to watch super if he is

Take a guess

tumblr_ouu3rrakvC1v1ooeno1_1280.jpg

Actually he hasn't had that much screentime yet since they focused on many characters, but he managed to steal the show whenever he had some focus :D .

FSLink

Banned
17 was announced coming back before any other character, back in last november. And he came back in April with a great episode.

Wasn't it said that they started development around Extreme Butoden 3DS's release?

Around that time, 17 wasn't as relevant. They likely decided the roster very early on since it takes a lot of time making a single character. Honestly it's for the best 17 isn't in yet, I think he'd be much more fun if he had more of his Super stuff.

Slaythe

Wasn't it said that they started development around Extreme Butoden 3DS's release?

Around that time, 17 wasn't as relevant. They likely decided the roster very early on since it takes a lot of time making a single character. Honestly it's for the best 17 isn't in yet, I think he'd be much more fun if he had more of his Super stuff.

But apparently they're shoehorning characters from this Super arc, and even give 18 her current costume ..............

And nothing stopped them from adding 17 from Z like they added Trunks, then add their costume with new specials in the future update with Super versions. His melee and fighting style is exactly the same, it's just his special moves that change :) .

If I get great saiyaman costume and videl Ima cry

plz b tru

Fake android fan, never come back to this thread K thx.

FSLink

Banned
If I get great saiyaman costume and videl Ima cry

plz b tru

I mean we might but that list is fake as fuck.
With how hard it is to make costumes for how this engine does graphics, there's no way we're getting that many costumes right off the bat (if at all).
But apparently they're shoehorning characters from this Super arc, and even give 18 her current costume ..............

And nothing stopped them from adding 17 from Z like they added Trunks, then add their costume with new specials in the future update with Super versions. His melee and fighting style is exactly the same, it's just his special moves that change :) .
Are you referring to the 2ch fake leak? Because right now 18 only has her Z costume.

They could add him and update him as they go, but if they started development back in 2015, 17 likely didn't make the cut at the time which makes total sense.

FSLink

Banned
Thanks for the clarification.

However, seriously talking, this is the least of this leak's issues.

34 characters are just way too much. MvCI will have 30 Characters at launch, and most of those are pulled directly from MvC3.

The inclusion of Caulifla and Kale is so weird since it implies they knew about ToP, which makes the absence of 17 more baffling.

Also as you said, costumes just aren't worth it.

I call bullshit. (although I wish for it to be true)

Yep. Stop wasting your time on believing on this leak. The amount of costumes being added makes absolutely no sense with what we know.

Plus when was the last time a 2ch leak was real? 4chan has some occasional stuff, yeah, but I can't even remember the last time a 2ch post had any credibility.

I will agree that the roster would make sense with those characters if we got 34 characters, but I'd bet we aren't getting 34 at launch.

FSLink

Banned
Wasn't Hit to recent for Xenoverse 2?

A Xenoverse character doesn't take nearly as much development time as a traditional fighting game character especially one done in the Guilty Gear 2D-esque look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E

Also here's an article to give you some perspective on how much time/cost it takes for a traditional fighting game character:
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/2...-each-to-create-heres-why-squigly-is-cheaper/

SF4 characters apparently costed more than $1 million each.

Skeeter49

Unpopular opinion, but I really like 18's ToP look, so I'd be excited if that's in.

It looked bad in promo material, but in the arcI think she looks good.

convo

A Xenoverse character doesn't take nearly as much development time as a traditional fighting game character especially one done in the Guilty Gear 2D-esque look.

Also here's an article to give you some perspective on how much time/cost it takes for a traditional fighting game character:
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/2...-each-to-create-heres-why-squigly-is-cheaper/

I dare some of these jokers try attempting to mod anything but colors or textures into the PC version of the game. Not even the rawest of sourcefilmmaker places on the internet could get a usable model out of the Guilty Gear Xrd games. It would be like trying to put a sculpture back together from fine dust.

Yeah people don't really understand that the characters are the game in fighting games. Not just some action figure count they can amend on a whim

Which is why it's crazy how non-chalant people are about saying so and so will be in the "first round of DLC" lol

This isn't Budokai or Xenoverse where they can just slap a new model on top one of the 7-8 skeletons they have in the game and ship it out. I'm even being a little harsh here as they still have to do VA work for those and that takes time and costs money as well.

Characters for these games take a lot of long term planning. The roster has probably been set from the start and they aren't about to change the plan because that episode of Super they saw last week was really cool!

FSLink

Banned
This isn't Budokai or Xenoverse where they can just slap a new model on top one of the 7-8 skeletons they have in the game and ship it out. I'm even being a little harsh here as they still have to do VA work for those and that takes time and costs money as well.

Characters for these games take a lot of long term planning. The roster has probably been set from the start and they aren't about to change the plan because that episode of Super they saw last week was really cool!

Yep. It's why I'm absolutely not surprised 17's not playable. By the time they were beginning to finalize the roster, 17 wasn't relevant at all, and doesn't matter how cool I thought he is in the current arc of Super. 16 over 17 makes total sense since he would have offered a different fighting style (and judging by what they want to do for this game's story, 16's a much more interesting pick for the villain too)

Yep. It's why I'm absolutely not surprised 17's not playable. By the time they were beginning to finalize the roster, 17 wasn't relevant at all, and doesn't matter how cool I thought he is in the current arc of Super. 16 over 17 makes total sense since he would have offered a different fighting style (and judging by what they want to do for this game's story, 16's a much more interesting pick for the villain too)

I think they could still put 17 in. Just reverse their roles in 18's dynamic. 17 is the main character and 18 is the support/assist/puppet. However Accel Dance works.

He doesn't need to be in the game as his own thing if 18's design is so heavily focused around teaming up with him. That would seem weird that the only female character in the game's unique trait is calling in her brother, who happens to be a character on his own without her at all.

FSLink

Banned
I think they could still put 17 in. Just reverse their roles in 18's dynamic. 17 is the main character and 18 is the support/assist/puppet. However Accel Dance works.

Yeah, it's possible since it seems they have a model for 17. But I wouldn't count on it since they'd still have to clean up the model animations/lighting (which is very time intensive for how they do this style of graphics) for 17's model on 18's moveset.

Slaythe

He doesn't need to be in the game as his own thing is 18's design is so heavily focused around teaming up with him.

I'm gonna have to set things straight.

17 does not team up with 18. That only happened in the Trunks OAV that was 80% filler. In the manga 17 killed Gohan alone. In the present 17 wants 1v1 and doesn't want 18's help. That was the case in Z and it's the case in Super.

On top of that, 17 is taller than her and as completely different fighting style so he needs new hitboxes and normals, as well as new voice acting lines since he'll need grunts and what not.

So basically, the only thing he'd miss is like a super attack, to be a fully playable character on his own. Might as well make him playable.

If they can make ultimate Gohan different from Goku I'm sure they won't have issues with two characters that don't fight anything alike, safe for that one OAV that wrongfully made them identical.

Yeah, it's possible since it seems they have a model for 17. But I wouldn't count on it since they'd still have to clean up the model animations/lighting (which is very time intensive for how they do this style of graphics) for 17's model on 18's moveset.

You literally can NOT put 17 on 18's model, have you seen how she fights lol ? They take everything from the manga, that won't fit at all.

Yeah probably. I think they probably would have introduced them as 17 and 18 if that was the case. I do think that would be an interesting setup for a character though, and allow them to put in two characters who more or less have had mostly identical movesets in the past, in one slot.

Yeah probably. I think they probably would have introduced them as 17 and 18 if that was the case. I do think that would be an interesting setup for a character though, and allow them to put in two characters who more or less have had mostly identical movesets in the past, in one slot.

Rather they did one right than two badly, personally.

Rutger

Banned
I don't buy that leak for a second right now.

That said, I don't think some characters not having much to work with in the series for a moveset is a real issue. It will just depend on if the developers want everything to be references or if they feel they can fill a certain role with a character that hasn't been fleshed out. Arcsys is the best in the industry at making creative fighting game movesets so having a lot to reference isn't necessary.

I think body change would be hilarious in a tag game. Steal one of your opponents characters and give them a crippled Ginyu in return.

but I don't think there's any real way to balance something like that for a fighting game.

Top Bottom