• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

If we were to only get one other Buu besides Fat Buu, would you want Super Buu or Kid Buu?

I would prefer all three, but seeing as how we may not even get Android 17, I'm doubting that possibility. So, I'm gonna vouch for Super Buu because of Hyper Dragon Ball Z.

super_buu___gohan_absorbido___sin_chaleco___render_by_fradayesmarkers-d9xi7ua.png

NeonZ

I think the only game where Super Buu took priority over Kid Buu was Ultimate Battle 22. I'd hope for Super Buu though. Kid Buu's only unique attack is the underground stretching kick. Everything else was also done by Super Buu, who had more stuff on top of that. They even generally make the rolling into a ball attack Kid Buu exclusive, even though Super Buu also did it...

TreIII

Kid Buu.

Super Buu's main shtick was his absorptions, and I don't think there's really a way to incorporate that, here.

I think the only game where Super Buu took priority over Kid Buu was Ultimate Battle 22. I'd hope for Super Buu though. Kid Buu's only unique attack is the underground stretching kick. Everything else was also done by Super Buu, who had more stuff on top of that. They even generally make the rolling into a ball attack Kid Buu exclusive, even though Super Buu also did it...

They had Super Buu instead of Kid Buu in Super Sonic Warriors which Arc System also developed. I personally prefer Super Buu as well since I like his design better, and he has stuff like absorption and that genocide attack to draw from.

Considering they used Kid Buu for Extreme Butoden, I doubt he's going to make it though.

NeonZ

I wonder what moves they will give to ultimate gohan.

For some reason he had a wannabe shoryuken in Extreme Butoden, and they even gave that attack to the SSJ4 Gohan assist too. They seemed to see it as a signature Gohan attack. Based on his moveset there, I'd guess he'll be mostly close range focused, aside from maybe his highest cost special.

Village

For some reason he had a wannabe shoryuken in Extreme Butoden, and they even gave that attack to the SSJ4 Gohan assist too. They seemed to see it as a signature Gohan attack. Based on his moveset there, I'd guess he'll be mostly close range focused, aside from maybe his highest cost special.

Is it the weird upper cutt then downward strike move?

Because he sure had that in budokai 3 too

I liked it

Neoxon

I haven't seen the leak, but if it mentions different costumes, there's no way it's true.
It mentions costumes. That being said, there have been leaks on 4chan & sites like it in the past. But all the same, the costumes as well as the mention of Caulifla & Kale immediately invalidate the "leak".

TreIII

I think Nappa will be in. Definitely. Ginyu on the other hand. He will have attacks using the other members.

See, as much as I want him, the realist in me doesn't think too highly of his chances.

What makes you think his chances are "definite"? Having a sprite set in EB likely only goes but so far...

Speaking of which.....

I kinda wish they had battle damage in this.
And before you go "boo woaaaaah arcsys 3d", keep in mind they DO have battle damage in Xrd Rev.

It's subtle, it's mostly scratches and light tears here and there but it's effective. Better than eating a final flash and come out pristine.

Sounds faithful to the anime imo.

It's just a carry-over from his Cell game's self since Ultimate Gohan doesn't have they biggest array in moves given his limited appearance.

cordy

Banned
See, as much as I want him, the realist in me doesn't think too highly of his chances.

What makes you think his chances are "definite"? Having a sprite set in EB likely only goes but so far...

I see him in for a few reasons. Besides the EB sprite and established moveset from that game, Nappa's a big beefy dude. There's not going to be too many of those guys in the game besides 16 and Broly and depending on their playstyles, Nappa fleshes the roster out from a playstyle perspective. He's also easier to throw in compared to someone they don't have and he's pretty well-known. If Nappa doesn't get in I'd be surprised, especially compared to Android 16.

I wouldn't say he's got a shot like Ultimate Gohan but he's got a pretty damn good shot. I'd say around a 90% chance while Gohan's probably at 99.9%.

FluxWaveZ

Speaking of which.....

I kinda wish they had battle damage in this.
And before you go "boo woaaaaah arcsys 3d", keep in mind they DO have battle damage in Xrd Rev.

It's subtle, it's mostly scratches and light tears here and there but it's effective. Better than eating a final flash and come out pristine.

This is the first I've heard of this. Is there any good comparison pics/videos showing the differences?

Slaythe

This is the first I've heard of this. Is there any good comparison pics/videos showing the differences?

aee95a858b069024a60368008ddee736.jpg

Ky is the only character that gets an actual different look with battle damage, the other character get this, it's randomized too, they don't get the same scratches all the time so it's pretty cool, feels dynamic.

TreIII

I see him in for a few reasons. Besides the EB sprite and established moveset from that game, Nappa's a big beefy dude. There's not going to be too many of those guys in the game besides 16 and Broly and depending on their playstyles, Nappa fleshes the roster out from a playstyle perspective. He's also easier to throw in compared to someone they don't have and he's pretty well-known. If Nappa doesn't get in I'd be surprised, especially compared to Android 16.

I wouldn't say he's got a shot like Ultimate Gohan but he's got a pretty damn good shot. I'd say around a 90% chance while Gohan's probably at 99.9%.

I really hope you're right, at least in this instance, certainly!

At least with 16, he's now got the apparent excuse/bonus for being pertinent to this game's plot. It's anybody's guess, at this point, how much that may roll over to any others.

cordy

Banned
I really hope you're right, at least in this instance, certainly!

At least with 16, he's now got the apparent excuse/bonus for being pertinent to this game's plot. It's anybody's guess, at this point, how much that may roll over to any others.

I'm glad 16 is getting his shine. He's always left out of the discussions towards Androids for some reason.

Slaythe

I'm glad 16 is getting his shine. He's always left out of the discussions towards Androids for some reason.

Maybe the fact he only had half a chapter of a fight against imperfect Cell then never fought ever again, and was a machine, that just stopped existing, didn't help.

And "not being part of the current main big arc" also is a good answer :p .

LordKasual

Banned

It wasn't in Xrd but they added it in Revelator.

But even since the first Xrd, Ky has had his hair randomly come undone if he takes enough damage during battle.

And his hair is really long, so it's not like a minor change

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hit and Beerus should in in the initial roster. They have had good character presence in super and have a unique enough combat style.

I feel like Beerus is a definite lock atleast, can't imagine him being left out.

Here's a post I made a few months ago early in the thread that I actually wanted to look at again:

Krillin's presence in DBZ is too frequent to ignore.

Even if he mostly gets kicked in the head and is out of the fight since he got outpowered very early on.

My takes on characters that are 100% guaranteed:

Piccolo
Krillin
Future Trunks
Mystic/Adult Gohan
Broly

Very likely:

Kid Buu
Beerus
Gotenks

Beyond that I could see a lot of things happening

SSB Goku/Vegeta will probably happen at least. I would see them having Android 16 before 17 for the visual identity unless they go harder on Super stuff than I'm expecting. I think Hercule has a better chance than people might expect since Arc loves wacky characters. The only alternative is Great Sayiman but that would piss off a lot of people if they didn't have an Adult Gohan and I doubt they would ever have 3 of him to make that happen.

Yamcha and Tien, wouldn't be surprised either way. If only one makes it it'll be Yamcha. Some other characters like Bardock, Ginyu and Videl could also go either way. Videl might get a boost because outside of 18 they're hurting for females.

The roster's size could be so varying on top of having so much ground to cover that without knowing a concrete number it's super hard to think of what the roster will be since there's so much material to pull from.

Most of the shoe ins made it already, and given what we saw with the URLs on the website specifically with Gohan and Buu, Kid Buu also seems like a lock and another Gohan was obvious. That leaves Broly but I'm still 100% expecting him. After seeing SSB Goku/Vegeta I feel Beerus is a lock alongside it since he already had a high chance.

Gets much harder to predict beyond that though. SSB and Beerus are entry level Super includes so it's hard to say how deep if at all they go for now when it comes to people like Hit or Zamasu.

FluxWaveZ

aee95a858b069024a60368008ddee736.jpg

Ky is the only character that gets an actual different look with battle damage, the other character get this, it's randomized too, they don't get the same scratches all the time so it's pretty cool, feels dynamic.

It wasn't in Xrd but they added it in Revelator.

But even since the first Xrd, Ky has had his hair randomly come undone if he takes enough damage during battle.

And his hair is really long, so it's not like a minor change

Thanks. First thing I thought of was Ky's hair, but it sounded like Slaythe was talking about something different. That's cool; would definitely be appropriate for FighterZ.

TreIII

In addition to what Slaythe said, I'd just say that he never really got a chance to develop that much of a character.

As much as I think his moment with Gohan worked out fine, I do still think 16 was a vastly underutilized character. It seemed like Toriyama wanted to truly revisit a sort of dynamic between Goku and Hacchan/Eighter with 16 and Gohan, but never got the time to do so (or forgot to make the time), and so, rushed it.

I'm wondering if Goku and Vegeta blue will be in different slots... Maybe you NEED to pick Goku for example, and then choose between SSJ or SSJB.

This method will prevent you from choosing 2 gokus or 2 vegetas for your team

Giga Man

The moment where quiet and gentle giant, after episodes of him doing nothing but being peace-loving, suddenly starts fighting, and fighting for the good guys, was super hype. It wasn't just the fact that he was fighting either. He was GOING IN! Cell didn't see it coming! That moment coupled with his touching moment with Gohan pretty much solidified Android 16's popularity.

I usually like the "gentle giant" archetype anyway.

Slaythe

Yeah I would AT LEAST expect the game to reach the content of the game released 2 years prior lol.

Hit and Black fit. Especially Hit with Kaioken blue.

You can expect Zamasu to be 17'd.

cordy

Banned
Maybe the fact he only had half a chapter of a fight against imperfect Cell then never fought ever again, and was a machine, that just stopped existing, didn't help.

And "not being part of the current main big arc" also is a good answer :p .

In addition to what Slaythe said, I'd just say that he never really got a chance to develop that much of a character.

As much as I think his moment with Gohan worked out fine, I do still think 16 was a vastly underutilized character. It seemed like Toriyama wanted to truly revisit a sort of dynamic between Goku and Hacchan/Eighter with 16 and Gohan, but never got the time to do so (or forgot to make the time), and so, rushed it.

Thankfully we have videogames giving him his much needed justice. Very under-utilized in the series.

As for where we're getting I just see the base game having Beerus, Hit and Black. MAYBE Zamasu or Merged Zamasu but those are long shots but we're at least getting Hit and Black I think. They're great characters.

Top Bottom