• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Balfour

Inclusion in the roster.

Don't expect a lot from either show. But expect at least one from both

Also their quality doesn't matter. They already said they want to pull from everything they can depending on fan interest

Like Omega Shenron has much higher chances than Bojack ever will

The topic currently is personal opinion on the show. Instead it should be about popularity, relevancy, practicality, marketability, etc

Goku Black is a highly popular character and really relevent now

On the flip side, SS4 Gogeta remains highly popular to this day. SS4 itself is quite popular, especially in Japan

Some people act like Monaka has a better chance than any GT character and others either just hate Super just as much or believe General Rildo is a good character (just a jape)

You should worry if anyone unique from the original DB will appear before you start dismissing GT and Super

Is he... not allowed to fight now? I don't even understand what that has to do what you previously said, concerning minor characters being shoehorned in.

Sure he is, but if you want to tell me he can survive a sparring session with SSB Goku, then we've got problems.

Dragon Ball is easily the most internationally popular shonen anime of all time. It's going to come out in it's favor, just maybe not on message boards with purists who tend to resent things for being more popular than their favorite thing.

See how Attack on Titan is treated in those discussions versus it's popularity everywhere.

There are lots of little dumb things about Super but they're done in a way that at least leverages some kind of positive character work.

For example, that scene in Super puts Trunks on front street. It doesn't make him some kind of lame, scarf wearing adventurer who side-lined forever so Goku can do everything, all of the time.

People in the Super thread are shitting on the Super manga for doing this, but GT was so much worse.

*Two Goku/Vegeta fusions. Gotenks will definitely get in.

This isn't a shit on Super thread, anyway. I like Super, I think it's great, it got me back into DB over a decade after I abandoned it entirely. It's not flawless, but I think it's important part of the DB series and I feel the same about GT.

Both should, and probably will, have representation in this game IMO.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Dragon Ball is easily the most internationally popular shonen anime of all time. It's going to come out in it's favor, just maybe not on message boards with purists who tend to resent things for being more popular than their favorite thing.

See how Attack on Titan is treated in those discussions versus it's popularity everywhere.

Don't think that's fair. When people criticize Fairy Tail, its not because they are purists who resent its popularity, its because its a genuinely flawed series, same with Naruto and Bleach in their times.

AOT has always been pretty consistent writing quality wise and not comparable in any way to these other shounen being named, so even i can say i don't agree with slandering it because its a new series, if anything it bucks the narrative that manga and anime today is all derivative and low brow

LotusHD

Banned
Sure he is, but if you want to tell me he can survive a sparring session with SSB Goku, then we've got problems..

Survive a sparring session? Goku held back his Kamehameha's power, and it still clearly overwhelmed him, with 18 ultimately having to redirect it elsewhere. It had him trembling afterwards. Lol, that's one of the furthest thing from what I would describe as a random asspull, even if you think it should have been more one-sided. Because yea sure, it could be more one-sided, but let's not act like Krillin is suddenly super strong now. I thought you'd bring up more examples that were more in the vein of what 17 pulled lol

It seems really weird to me to focus on DBS' supposed inconsistencies of power levels as a way to prop up GT. The show where the final and most powerful villain came up with the devious plan of throwing random junk at Goku. Or how Goku can at his weakest, withstand attacks from said most powerful villain because...the writers didn't bother to come up with anything. And this is ignoring the fact that one of the very first villains introduced in the show is said to be around Majin Buus power. And he's just hanging around in space. That contradicts previous events so hard, again it's clear the writers just didn't give a damn.

Slaythe

So many GT stans in the thread lol.

GT sent the licence dying while Super revived it, don't think for a second they're picking GT over Super.

Survive a sparring session? Goku held back his Kamehameha's power, and it still clearly overwhelmed him, with 18 ultimately having to redirect it elsewhere. It had him trembling afterwards. Lol, that's one of the furthest thing from what I would describe as a random asspull, even if you think it should have been more one-sided. Because yea sure, it could be more one-sided, but let's not act like Krillin is suddenly super strong now. I thought you'd bring up more examples that were more in the vein of what 17 pulled lol

I mean, 17 is a good example too, but at least he's been training for some considerable time (though that does little to explain his massive power leap) while Krillin really just gets more powerful because plot.

Honestly, there are examples of it at every turn.

It seems really weird to me to focus on DBS' supposed inconsistencies of power levels as a way to prop up GT. .

So you agree DBS has massive inconsistencies in power levels and using poor writing as a stick to beat GT with, while giving Super a pass for it, is hypocritical.

GT sent the licence dying while Super revived it, don't think for a second they're picking GT over Super.

Literally nobody here is saying that they think they will.

Slaythe

Right, I meant people that want GT over Super are in for a rough awakening.

But to add my 2 cents on GT being more "realistic", LOL.

Somehow two assholes in hell building another 17 (who's fucking human, not a robot) and then brain wash 17 from hell (again, he's human...... and the whole point of 17 was that he could not be controlled due to his rebellious human mind...........) is more believable than him getting stronger because he had 13 years to train ? (considering he was stronger than Frieza, who only needed 4 months to get on Goku's level, and Trunks, who needed 4 seconds)

Plus power isn't all Super is doing for those characters. They are giving them a lot of character development and the interactions that are a joy to watch within the new cast.

17's jokes, Gohan's leader role, Vegeta and Frieza, etc.. this is all great to see and it evokes the best parts of Dragon Ball, instead of the never ending saiyan (or should I say Goku) wank.

Gt trashed pretty much every single character. Super is doing them justice and uses them well at least.

So you agree DBS has massive inconsistencies in power levels and using poor writing as a stick to beat GT with, while giving Super a pass for it, is hypocritical.

You're reaching, really hard. For one, all the way back to early Z, the series has played pretty fast and loose with power levels. And fans have always scrutinized it. The reason why GT is in the wrong especially is because often times they ignored power levels in ways that made situations less interesting. Instead of the other way around. For example, it really doesn't make any sense for Piccolo to get as strong as he did on Namek. It's cool that they had an asspully way to make it happen, but we know it was really done for the sake of making interesting character interactions. While in GT, Goku can take direct hits from Omega Shenron to save the day because? And it just makes the show worse because the alternative is that some of the other characters could actually ya know, be interesting. Not to mention this inconsistency is like, alarmingly big. Where as Goku not killing Krillin in sparring is probably due to them, ya know, sparring? And again, this is so we can have a lot of diverse characters doing something new together. So even if it is an inconsistency, it's doing it to make the show better, not worse.

Neoxon

I honestly hope that Trunks gets the Spirit Sword as an install super (increasing his sword's range for a limited time). Either that or Super Saiyan Rage.....or both in one.

KingBroly

Banned

Somehow two assholes in hell building another 17 (who's fucking human, not a robot) and then brain wash 17 from hell (again, he's human...... and the whole point of 17 was that he could not be controlled due to his rebellious human mind...........) is more believable than him getting stronger because he had 13 years to train ? (considering he was stronger than Frieza, who only needed 4 months to get on Goku's level, and Trunks, who needed 4 seconds)

Plus power isn't all Super is doing for those characters. They are giving them a lot of character development and the interactions that are a joy to watch within the new cast.

17's jokes, Gohan's leader role, Vegeta and Frieza, etc.. this is all great to see and it evokes the best parts of Dragon Ball, instead of the never ending saiyan (or should I say Goku) wank.

Gt trashed pretty much every single character. Super is doing them justice and uses them well at least.

Super isn't doing Buu justice. It's not doing Vegeta justice, either, IMO.

More people know of GT than Super, even though GT is shit. You're not going to have these newly introduced characters in Japan in the game because the west don't know about them. We'd be lucky to get Black and/or Zamasu. Anything beyond that episode-wise is simply a no-go zone right now. Beerus, sure. He's great. Whis isn't much of a fighter, so he's out.

Slaythe

I honestly hope that Trunks gets the Spirit Sword as an install super (increasing his sword's range for a limited time). Either that or Super Saiyan Rage.....or both in one.

With that costume I think it's a lost cause.

But I'm sure they'll update him for the sequel eventually.

Or maybe they'd have EX versions for few characters, that'd be a way to include Blue Goku Vegeta and Super Trunks, have the exact same movesets with minor tweaks with the special moves / super / intros and costumes. Still need quite a bit of time to make but less than new complete characters.

Somehow two assholes in hell building another 17 (who's fucking human, not a robot) and then brain wash 17 from hell (again, he's human...... and the whole point of 17 was that he could not be controlled due to his rebellious human mind...........) is somehow more believable than him getting stronger because he had 13 years to train ? (considering he was stronger than Frieza, who only needed 4 months to get on Goku's level, and Trunks, who needed 4 seconds)

Everyone agrees the Super 17 saga was trash.

I'd also argue about characterization. If anything, Super flanderizes a number of characters just to fit them back into their trope. Vegeta is back to being focused on being stronger than Kakarot. Goku is an overly-irresponsible moron who hasn't kissed his wife. Videl exists to pop out Pan. Buu has lost any development he may have undergone in DBZ.

GT wasn't great with characters, but there was some development at least, like Vegeta getting over his petty rivalry and becoming more of a family man etc.

Pointless argument anyway - you're right. Super is more popular, Super is more deserving of entries in this game and Super will undoubtedly get them ahead of anything outside DBZ. That said, ragging on GT for things that exist in the series as a whole is a meme and there will likely be inclusions from GT in this game also.

You're reaching, really hard. For one, all the way back to early Z, the series has played pretty fast and loose with power levels. And fans have always scrutinized it. The reason why GT is in the wrong especially is because often times they ignored power levels in ways that made situations less interesting. Instead of the other way around. For example, it really doesn't make any sense for Piccolo to get as strong as he did on Namek. It's cool that they had an asspully way to make it happen, but we know it was really done for the sake of making interesting character interactions. While in GT, Goku can take direct hits from Omega Shenron to save the day because? And it just makes the show worse because the alternative is that some of the other characters could actually ya know, be interesting. Not to mention this inconsistency is like, alarmingly big. Where as Goku not killing Krillin in sparring is probably due to them, ya know, sparring? And again, this is so we can have a lot of diverse characters doing something new together. So even if it is an inconsistency, it's doing it to make the show better, not worse.

You're using one example from GT, Goku seemingly tanking hits from Omega Shenron, and you call me reaching?

Krillin has had power boosts and the fact Goku goes Blue to spar with him is proof. His punches can destroy a universe but Krillin tanks them.
What about merged Zamasu? Shits on everything, then gets taken out by Trunks with his new found, Toriyama un-approved, power upgrade and several deus ex machinas like the Spirit Bomb Sword and a move he learned from a five minute video.

This shitting on GT for stuff Super does all the time has to stop.

TDLink

I don't even think GT is good, but it's definitely not the reason the "licence died" or something. Toriyama was done with it. GT happened because Z was so popular and they wanted something to keep going. Otherwise it just would have ended other than the odd film every few years. Super is just the inevitable comeback.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
You're not going to have these newly introduced characters in Japan in the game because the west don't know about them.

Since about 08 when there's been new Dragon Ball stuff, some of which has come to the west and some of which hasn't, that has mattered 0 times ever across multiple video games.

andymcc

Banned
Don't think that's fair. When people criticize Fairy Tail, its not because they are purists who resent its popularity, its because its a genuinely flawed series, same with Naruto and Bleach in their times.

Outside of maybe Naruto, which is a very big maybe, none of these series come close to the popularity of DB-- in Japan or elsewhere. It's the forefather to many shonen archetypes. Lots of Dragon Ball backlash definitely comes from snobs trying to be anime purists and buck popular series.

Slaythe

Super isn't doing Buu justice. It's not doing Vegeta justice, either, IMO.

More people know of GT than Super, even though GT is shit. You're not going to have these newly introduced characters in Japan in the game because the west don't know about them. We'd be lucky to get Black and/or Zamasu. Anything beyond that episode-wise is simply a no-go zone right now. Beerus, sure. He's great. Whis isn't much of a fighter, so he's out.

I guess you're right for Buu. Even though he got a cool episode.

And you're flat out wrong for Vegeta.

As for the rest, lol. You're vastly underestimating how much money Super is making. Also, when has "the west" ever mattered when it came down to DBZ rosters ?

On top of that, there are official channels to watch it in simulcast, so the west already has seen all those characters. You really think they're targeting the random casual fan that watched DBZ 15 years ago with this game ? They could have done that with the very casual friendly Xenoverse games and even them are filled with Super content.

And what does "the west" even mean ? The USA airs DBS weekly and is a slog since they started so late, other countries (asia and I think some latina areas) started it way earlier so they could get away with one episode per week, Europe aired episodes daily so they're far ahead.

If you think they're ever gonna consider casual american audience before hardcore fans + Europe + Japan, I think you're delusional.

Everyone agrees the Super 17 saga was trash.

I'd also argue about characterization. If anything, Super flanderizes a number of characters just to fit them back into their trope. Vegeta is back to being focused on being stronger than Kakarot. Goku is an overly-irresponsible moron who hasn't kissed his wife. Videl exists to pop out Pan. Buu has lost any development he may have undergone in DBZ.

GT wasn't great with characters, but there was some development at least, like Vegeta getting over his petty rivalry and becoming more of a family man etc.

Pointless argument anyway - you're right. Super is more popular, Super is more deserving of entries in this game and Super will undoubtedly get them ahead of anything outside DBZ. That said, ragging on GT for things that exist in the series as a whole is a meme and there will likely be inclusions from GT in this game also.

That's not exactly true though.

Gohan, Krilin, 18, 17, and Vegeta all got a lot of development. Then you have Roshi that also grew out of his perversion. The other characters didn't really need a lot of change.

The one character that is really obnoxious is Goku.

But let's look at your examples.

- Vegeta in End of Z still sees Goku as a rival. On top of that, in Super, he is a family man. And it's been made very clear this arc, when he refused to go train with Goku to stay near Bulma's side for Bra's birth. He's fighting for his family now.

- Goku left his entire family behind to go train Uub for years even though he has instant transmission.......... Talk about fucking irresponsible or how he loved his wife heh.

Buu hasn't lost any development, he loves Satan and behaves correctly in society, how is that lost ? But I agree Buu seems to get the shaft a lot in Super. (and Tien shin han)

As for Videl, do you remember how traumatic her encounter with Spopovitch was ? That pretty much made her give up fighting, and that's understandable.

Village

I don't think that was too good, because in super or rather the new post Z, addressed something that has never actually been addressed, which made vegeta much stronger than he was ever before in the history of the series. And its something that's brought up time and time again that was finally utilized properly. And is actual explanation for how so many human characters eventually got so powerful

Vegeta doesn't know how to train, well. No seriously, think about it. No one in space knew how to train well, super saiyans were legends in space land you were born with a power level and that was you lot in life, the idea of going above your caste was a concept far and beyond most people. That's why frieeza was formidable. They were refugee's in space, space pirates spiritual training, the body and the mind. That's nothing for them, it was the strong eats the weak.

Goku had been trained by literal deities , over seerers of the universe. And actual martial artists , there were concepts vegeta never understood that lead to terrible things. Like vegeta didn't even think to train in super saiyan mode so the form would eventually less energy and stamania, that's something someone who's trained with martial artists think. That's waited clothing thought, something vegeta doesn't even know. He's just like " ill get stronger and be the prince/king of all saiyans" and that's kinda it .

So here's the key here, and where we lead into my final point. Despite all that, homie is keeping pace with goku. He achive's SS out of the blue, just works his way to ss2 and was one level of super saiyan behind goku who had been training with out the limits of his phsyical form with literal dieties. And when beerus came down was showing power output that goku hadn't even done.

So then beerus goes " oh shit there's two of you, let train this one too" and in one training session with a diety is instantly on the same level as goku and skips regular SS god.

Not only does that play in, also with the narrative of golden frieza another person who due to their linage just... wasn't familiar with actual legit training, did it and got stronger.

It speaks to how powerful Vegeta actually is. It took Vegeta from goku's rival , to cody from street fighter. He's just punching and kicking and doing push ups and throwing rocks and shit keeping up with folks doing actual martial arts training, and then actuall gets it " woops I'm a god now". Yeah super makes Veggie look silly sometimes.. to be honest it makes everyone look silly. But this is the most legit Vegeta has been in a long time. And I think its a much better narrative than him just giving up and being a family man. Because as super proves, he can just do both.

You're using one example from GT, Goku seemingly tanking hits from Omega Shenron, and you call me reaching

It's not a good look when you try to brush that off as "one example" when it's literally the finale of the whole series and results in the most powerful bad guy ever getting defeated. Especially when we both know it's not the only example. How about when Omega Shenron was gonna throw some random junk to defeat Goku. Or when they randomly meet a guy that's as strong as Majin Buu (One of the strongest being to ever exist as far as we know at this point). And that's another important factor here. GT didn't even attempt to evolve the show. It just makes up a plot device that causes Goku to "adventure". The problem with that is, Goku is now one of the strongest beings in the universe. Him going on a adventure doesn't really work anymore if you don't do something to expand the mythos. It's the same type of thing Z needed to do, in order for that show to work. That's why all of GTs villains have so many inconsistency with power. You either have random dude in space that's insanely strong for no real reason. Or you have to constantly have scientist/magic create new threats. Which is simply retreading old ground from Z. That's just plain lazy writing. Imagine if the first arc of DBZ wasn't a huge expansion of the lore by this new villain named Raditz, but instead Goku needs to find the dragon balls again. Oh, and on the way he meets some guy that is as strong as Demon King Piccolo. That's basically GT. Super works because they expanded the mythos so not only does that continue the plots overall momentum, but we can actually have new characters that make sense. Like, I don't see how anyone could seriously say anything in GT was ever as promising as the current Super arc. The stakes are higher, we have a huge assortment of new characters, multiple subplots all going on at the same time. Where as in GT half the time we get, bad guy shows up, Pan gets in danger, Goku saves the day!

It's not a good look when you try to brush that off as "one example" when it's literally the finale of the whole series and results in the most powerful bad guy ever getting defeated. Especially when we both know it's not the only example. How about when Omega Shenron was gonna throw some random junk to defeat Goku. Or when they randomly meet a guy that's as strong as Majin Buu (One of the strongest being to ever exist as far as we know at this point). And that's another important factor here. GT didn't even attempt to evolve the show. It just makes up a plot device that causes Goku to "adventure". The problem with that is, Goku is now one of the strongest beings in the universe. Him going on a adventure doesn't really work anymore if you don't do something to expand the mythos. It's the same type of thing Z needed to do, in order for that show to work. That's why all of GTs villains have so many inconsistency with power. You either have random dude in space that's insanely strong for no real reason. Or you have to constantly have scientist/magic create new threats. Which is simply retreading old ground from Z. That's just plain lazy writing. Imagine if the first arc of DBZ wasn't a huge expansion of the lore by this new villain named Raditz, but instead Goku needs to find the dragon balls again. Oh, and on the way he meets some guy that is as strong as Demon King Piccolo. That's basically GT. Super works because they expanded the mythos so not only does that continue the plots overall momentum, but we can actually have new characters that make sense. Like, I don't see how anyone could seriously say anything in GT was ever as promising as the current Super arc. The stakes are higher, we have a huge assortment of new characters, multiple subplots all going on at the same time. Where as in GT half the time we get, bad guy shows up, Pan gets in danger, Goku saves the day!

GT actually had a lot of good ideas, that just weren't so well executed, beyond saving Pan. Again, I thought the shadow dragons were a great "full circle" culmination to the series. SSJ4 actually smacks of Saiyan, rather than palette swapping power upgrades. The Baby arc was good on many levels. I even rather enjoyed the space adventure aspects early on, as they had somewhat of an original DB flavour to them. The ending wasn't perfect, but it was pretty satisfying all the same. And to top it off, the animation stayed relatively consistent and was good throughout.

GT is certainly flawed, as you and others note, but calling it trash for doing things common to DB as a whole is unfair and the arrogance displayed on here towards those who dare happen to like GT is out of hand. Comments like "GT Stans" are GameFAQs tier and have no place on GAF.

LaNaranja

So, uh....is this still the place where we speculate about which characters we would like to see in the game? If so this would be the roster I would want to see.

i73c7gW.png

Honestly I am not thrilled at the prospect of multiple versions of the same character for transformations. Would anyone have been upset if instead of SSJ Goku and Vegeta we only got their blue forms? Also tween Gohan should have been left out in favor of literally anyone else. Adult Gohan is better in every way.

LotusHD

Banned
So, uh....is this still the place where we speculate about which characters we would like to see in the game? If so this would be the roster I would want to see.

i73c7gW.png

Honestly I am not thrilled at the prospect of multiple versions of the same character for transformations. Would anyone have been upset if instead of SSJ Goku and Vegeta we only got their blue forms? Also tween Gohan should have been left out in favor of literally anyone else. Adult Gohan is better in every way.

I mean, SSJ Goku/Vegeta have noted moves in that form due to having far more exposure, so if SSB somehow didn't show up, it'd be ultimately whatever. That said, Golden Frieza is in, so like, the forms have to make it in somehow, even if it isn't a separate character. (Which is probably for the best.) For them to not show up in any capacity would be extremely weird.

And uh, no, if any character gets a variation, it's Gohan. Teen Gohan has that sick Father/Son Kamehameha for example, everybody loves that shit. If anything, I certainly prefer him over Ultimate Gohan. But like I said, he's the one character that makes the best case for having 2 versions of himself, so that way everyone is satisfied.

EDIT:

Seriously though, gun to my head, I'm going with Teen Gohan over Mystic Form anyday.

Slaythe

i73c7gW.png

You can (sadly) replace chichi and kale by bardock and broly, and I think that is a very "realistic" roster.

With Nappa and Ginyu potentially stealing people's spots.

GT actually had a lot of good ideas, that just weren't so well executed, beyond saving Pan. Again, I thought the shadow dragons were a great "full circle" culmination to the series. SSJ4 actually smacks of Saiyan, rather than palette swapping power upgrades. The Baby arc was good on many levels. I even rather enjoyed the space adventure aspects early on, as they had somewhat of an original DB flavour to them. And to top it off, the animation stayed relatively consistent and was good throughout.

GT is certainly flawed, as you and others note, but calling it trash for doing things common to DB as a whole is unfair and the arrogance displayed on here towards those who dare happen to like GT is out of hand. Comments like "GT Stans" are GameFAQs tier and have no place on GAF.

You're free to enjoy it, I just think most people (I certainly am) are happy that GT is being forgotten and get annoyed when people keep trying to bring it back up. I mean, the general consensus is that it's bad, and now with Super it's never going to get a lot of focus in games and other media. That's just how things turned out, don't know what to tell you.

Edit: To get back on topic, I'm kinda hesitant to want Super characters on the roster because the show is still ongoing. Like, what if Arcsys has been working on Hit, then in the next few episodes he does something that would make there design already look dated? Might be better to leave them for DLC. Have the starting main roster be the classic DB/Z cast.

As for Videl, do you remember how traumatic her encounter with Spopovitch was ? That pretty much made her give up fighting, and that's understandable.
nah man you can't defend Videl, they turned her into a stepford robot.

nothing in the buu saga indicaed the Spopovitch thing scarred her or anything, that's what should have happened but it didn't, she bounced back after the eating the senzu bean like nothing happened.

Village

You're free to enjoy it, I just think most people (I certainly am) are happy that GT is being forgotten and get annoyed when people keep trying to bring it back up.

If you are annoyed when people bring GT up , you should be annoyed at all Dragon ball Z games, including recent ones after super came out with GT characters in them

And this one , because it will probably have GT characters in it. Its literally not being forgotten, and being sold on the notion of people not forgetting it.

Just wanted to point that out, you can't ever escape vegeta's mustache

Mister Wolf

I don't think that was too good, because in super or rather the new post Z, addressed something that has never actually been addressed, which made vegeta much stronger than he was ever before in the history of the series. And its something that's brought up time and time again that was finally utilized properly. And is actual explanation for how so many human characters eventually got so powerful

Vegeta doesn't know how to train, well. No seriously, think about it. No one in space knew how to train well, super saiyans were legends in space land you were born with a power level and that was you lot in life, the idea of going above your caste was a concept far and beyond most people. That's why frieeza was formidable. They were refugee's in space, space pirates spiritual training, the body and the mind. That's nothing for them, it was the strong eats the weak.

Goku had been trained by literal deities , over seerers of the universe. And actual martial artists , there were concepts vegeta never understood that lead to terrible things. Like vegeta didn't even think to train in super saiyan mode so the form would eventually less energy and stamania, that's something someone who's trained with martial artists think. That's waited clothing thought, something vegeta doesn't even know. He's just like " ill get stronger and be the prince/king of all saiyans" and that's kinda it .

So here's the key here, and where we lead into my final point. Despite all that, homie is keeping pace with goku. He achive's SS out of the blue, just works his way to ss2 and was one level of super saiyan behind goku who had been training with out the limits of his phsyical form with literal dieties. And when beerus came down was showing power output that goku hadn't even done.

So then beerus goes " oh shit there's two of you, let train this one too" and in one training session with a diety is instantly on the same level as goku and skips regular SS god.

Not only does that play in, also with the narrative of golden frieza another person who due to their linage just... wasn't familiar with actual legit training, did it and got stronger.

It speaks to how powerful Vegeta actually is. It took Vegeta from goku's rival , to cody from street fighter. He's just punching and kicking and doing push ups and throwing rocks and shit keeping up with folks doing actual martial arts training, and then actuall gets it " woops I'm a god now". Yeah super makes Veggie look silly sometimes.. to be honest it makes everyone look silly. But this is the most legit Vegeta has been in a long time. And I think its a much better narrative than him just giving up and being a family man. Because as super proves, he can just do both.

Vegeta's redemption fight against Black is one of the coolest fights in Super. The music, Vegeta's banter, everything about it. Reading comments on youtube people mention it being their favorite Vegeta moment. GT never produced anything close to that for anyone especially not Vegeta.

LotusHD

Banned
Edit: To get back on topic, I'm kinda hesitant to want Super characters on the roster because the show is still ongoing. Like, what if Arcsys has been working on Hit, then in the next few episodes he does something that would make there design already look dated? Might be better to leave them for DLC. Have the starting main roster be the classic DB/Z cast.

Out of all the reasons to neglect a Super character, that's a silly one imo

It's one thing if a character like Caulifla doesn't have a moveset in mind for this upcoming game, and thus doesn't make it in, but they really shouldn't be worrying a character doing something new. By that logic, they might as well hold off on this game until the tournament is over just in case Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, etc. might do something brand new lol

You're free to enjoy it, I just think most people (I certainly am) are happy that GT is being forgotten and get annoyed when people keep trying to bring it back up. I mean, the general consensus is that it's bad, and now with Super it's never going to get a lot of focus in games and other media. That's just how things turned out, don't know what to tell you.

It's still a part of DB and it has a chance to be represented in this game, just as it has in others. If it annoys you, you don't need to respond. Plenty of people like it and I'm sure there'd be a more friendly atmosphere to discussion here if every time GT was brought up, there wasn't so much hyperbole and ad hominem.

As for including Super, I'm sure they will be given a draft ahead of time to see where the characters will be holding on game release.

Vegeta's redemption fight against Black is one of the coolest fights in Super. The music, Vegeta's banter, everything about it. Reading comments on youtube people mention it being their favorite Vegeta moment. GT never produced anything close to that for anyone especially not Vegeta.

Yeah and how long did that last? lol, it was a great moment though.

Vegeta got the ultimate shaft with Frieza too. He should've been the one to get that kill ;'[

Mister Wolf

Yeah and how long did that last? lol, it was a great moment though.

Vegeta got the ultimate shaft with Frieza too. He should've been the one to get that kill ;'[

It didn't last long because Vegeta beat him down and didn't need multiple episodes in a long drawn out fight to do it.

If you are annoyed when people bring GT up , you should be annoyed at all Dragon ball Z games, including recent ones after super came out with GT characters in them

I think you misinterpreted what I said. I said "Being forgotten" as in, it's currently happening. Super is still ongoing and fairly new. As it continues and finishes up there will be less and less of a focus on GT. I didn't even think that was up for debate. I mean hell, even DBZ games that came out when GT was relevant mostly treated it as a after thought.

It didn't last long because Vegeta beat him down and didn't need multiple episodes in a long drawn out fight to do it.

Funny how you took it as actual length/time duration of the fight lol, but I meant that it didn't last long (the satisfaction of Vegeta finishing that kill himself) because they simply didn't want Vegeta to get that kill, which is a damn shame.

On the note of quick progression though, that's another thing I like about Super. I think people are unfairly critical when there's so much fan service and great moments throughout.

Mister Wolf

Funny how you took it as actual length/time duration of the fight lol, but I meant that it didn't last long (the satisfaction of Vegeta finishing that kill himself) because they simply didn't want Vegeta to get that kill, which is a damn shame.

On the note of quick progression though, that's another thing I like about Super. I think people are unfairly critical when there's so much fan service and great moments throughout.

Black was meant for Trunks.

Black was meant for Trunks.
I was fine with what happened in that fight. And to those who complain about Trunks, he didn't even get the kill on Zamasu anyway.
Goku did all the work tho
Nah man, Vegeta deserved the kill on Frieza because of their history. Frieza messed with his dad and destroyed the Saiyan race.

Goku took care of Frieza on Namek. Trunks then killed him, but Vegeta gets herbed, time and time again ;'[ That's not to say he doesn't have great moments though, he just can't be the closing hero for some reason.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
A just one.
Beerus is one of the best DB characters of all time. Bardock is lame outside of that 1 special OVA.
Beerus is great, I'd take him over Bardock any day.
Beerus is the most significant character in Dragon Ball in decades. Who gives a fuck about Bardock?
Good, good.

af710883c4fc032d82e53211d0b5b4b5.gif

Seriously, in a limited roster, and other Saiyans unconfirmed like Ultimate Gohan or Gotenks, or even Broly, why the hell would you want Bardock in there lol
I don't know why anybody wants Bardock.
Beerus is one of the best antagonists (yes, he's not exactly a villain) in Dragon Ball history, right up there with Frieza, King Piccolo, & Cell. Hell, I'd even go as far as to say that Beerus is one of Dragon Ball's best characters period. As I said numerous times in this thread, he & Whis helped revive the entire franchise with what's considered by many to be Dragon Ball's best movie. If anyone deserved to be in the base roster, it's definitely Universe 7's God of Destruction.

Beerus>Bardock seems like something most people should agree on....

Beerus IS Dragon Ball. He is easily one of the best characters in the series and evokes what DB is about. Brilliant personality, fun to watch, can be serious when needed, endlessly entertaining

Interesting. Guess I should probably explain

I was basically doing hyperbole in the whole ' My favourite character is better than your shitty character wah wah' but to be fair my only experience with beerus is the two films (haven't started watching Super yet, waiting for more episodes to binge watch) but Bardock to me is way more visually appealing in terms of voice and aesthetic/clothing, and his move list from previous games is a lot more interesting from what I've seen compared to beerus.

I just prefer bardocks story of 'okay fighter getting his whole friends killed, going up against a much stronger power/army even though he knows he'll get crushed' plus he's a bit of a dickhead who even didn't care about Goku. And I won't judge beerus cause I'm sure the problems I have with him get fixed in super, but I just thought the love for Bardock was a widespread opinion. Guess not aha.

I'd like someone to explain beerus for me though. I thought Dragonball fans hated the fact that power levels and the reliance on Goku had gotten way too much out of hand, that's always the complaints about why people hated/disliked the Buu saga (even though I loved it) but then Beerus, this walking Deus Machina, steps in and makes the power levels so absurd that there's basically no threat, but people love him and the series ? (even though i enjoy his personality)

Also, i thought people hated broly? hell I even liked him. Guess I just haven't been involved in the dragon ball community since like, 2008 aha.

Also started rewatching GT as well, Whilst its the worst series in Dragonball ( for numerous reasons ), the one thing it excelled at for me was story ideas and villain designs. I would love to see someone attempt Baby and the idea of the dragon balls turning evil again. Plus some of the future designs for the Z heroes was pretty good. It's alright to watch.

I don't hate bardock, but yeah beerus is better. Its like that new krypton show with jor-el, like I don't actually give a shit about superman's dad that much tbh.

I would actually give more a fuck about vegeta's dad because I could actually figure out how Saiyan society works, but you don't get much out of him besides kind of being a dick and then dying

From what we've seen, vegetas dad seems like a bizarre mix of proud king but massive coward (understandable though)

Top Bottom