• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

exfatal

Im just waiting for the day there is hard proof in super that GT doesnt exist or cant. People say SSJB is proof of that but i dont know.. BS can be strong in DB and goku and vegeta could lose his power. Just need something solid... come on Super don't let me down. Also i like the new sayians designs and hope they make it into the game.

Village

So if story doesn't matter, what reason is there to care if it's Broly or Kale that makes it into the game?

Because they like him, and they don't like her. The story... or glrorified snuff film, that is broly's movie matters, that story matters or rather the fighting maters to people, That's what endeared them to him, and his multiple appearances over the years. No one is claiming story does not matter. What i'm saying how he got here, to a great many people don't matter.

They like what he did, they like what he can do, and they like the vibe that comes off him. They like when he claims to be a god or a demon, they like his crazed screaming his mind god mad with powers destroying his memories focusing his rage on an undeserving target, they like his design, they like what he's about.

That's why.

And that's why kale exists, because they couldn't have that in the main series. So they just made another one. But in the instance they could have broly... they will just want broly. And heck a lot of folks might not like kale in the first place.

Until this thread I'd never seen any Bardock hate. What's wrong with him? He's pretty cool in the original TV special. Technically weak, but a badass, ruthless, tragic character who loses his friends, is betrayed by his lord, is thought to be crazy by his peers, but fights to the bitter end anyway. He's a fairly unique character by DB standards, and his character development and motivations are among the most believable in the entire series.

Do you guys hate him because of his appearance in that weird shitty OVA where he turns Super Saiyan? Or because of his appearances in some video games or something? I'm hontesly baffled. If you stick to his character as he appears in the original TV special he's great and his whole story is great.
He's fine but it's not like you'd miss anything by him not being playable.

AESplusF

I find a lot of people don't like the designs. I do, I think wiz and those super heroe looking dudes are some fresh as designs for DB, but a lot of people don't.

Yeah I haven't seen much of Super at all, but the art/character design is really off putting, it doesn't resemble DB as I know it.

Before I offend anyone, I'm not saying that Super is bad, it's just different.

LotusHD

Banned
He's fine but it's not like you'd miss anything by him not being playable.

This, I don't have any actual animosity towards him, but he's like my #1 example of a character that I would put in after basically everybody else, especially in a limited roster like this.

---

As for Kale v. Broly, I don't care that much about either, though Kale obviously has an opportunity to change that, may as well pick the canon one.

Because they like him, and they don't like her. The story... or glrorified snuff film, that is broly's movie matters, that story matters or rather the fighting maters to people, That's what endeared them to him, and his multiple appearances over the years. No one is claiming story does not matter. What i'm saying how he got here, to a great many people don't matter.

They like what he did, they like what he can do, and they like the vibe that comes off him. They like when he claims to be a god or a demon, they like his crazed screaming his mind god mad with powers destroying his memories focusing his rage on an undeserving target, they like his design, they like what he's about.

That's why.

And that's why kale exists, because they couldn't have that in the main series. So they just made another one. But in the instance they could have broly... they will just want broly. And heck a lot of folks might not like kale in the first place.
Despite Kale literally repeating the same exact lines Broly said? I don't think the fans are gonna outright hate her.

Village

Despite Kale literally repeating the same exact lines Broly said? I don't think the fans are gonna outright hate her.

Short version: they want the thing they grew up with, the thing they know and have a connection to. Not some replacement.

If you want to have a long conversation about what this thought process is, we can talk long in the tooth about comics, and specifically on why people wanting their old bullshit is why DC rebirth is succeeding right now and Marvel Now is kinda fucking up. But yeah

Big One

Banned
Im just waiting for the day there is hard proof in super that GT doesnt exist or cant. People say SSJB is proof of that but i dont know.. BS can be strong in DB and goku and vegeta could lose his power. Just need something solid... come on Super don't let me down. Also i like the new sayians designs and hope they make it into the game.
The major one is power scaling, which while inconsistent in Super itself the Super characters are way beyond anything seen in GT outside of maybe Omega Shenron and Gogeta which Omega Shenron was only STATED to have the ability to destroy the universe (we never see him actually do it). Characters in Super have been shown repeatedly, including Goku himself, to have the poewr to destroy the universe. SSJGod Goku is already stronger than the highest level of what's presented in GT, and Goku has already gone beyond SSJGod with the Blue form and the other shit he's been doing with it like Kaikon (and the "Mastered SSJ Blue" seen in the manga).

Characters in GT are constantly compared to Majin Boo throughout the series. It's also heavily implied that Majin Boo was the last major enemy they fought. End of Z sort of implies this, but it's weirdness is more along the lines of Goku being interested in Oob's power being similar to Majin Boo despite Boo being relatively weak compared to the likes of Beerus and other Super characters.

There's also the child Pilaf gang, as well as the fact that Kaioshin and Kibito split in Super.

The depiction and role of Hell is also drastically different. In Super, it's directly stated (as well as implied in the original manga and anime series) that Hell's purpose is to "purify" one's soul, and that Freeza's soul is so evil he's still in Hell. This implies other villains were "purified" which directly contradicts the depiction of Hell in the Z filler as well as GT. In Z Filler and GT, Hell is more of a prison rather than a way to purify the soul. Also, Freeza did not use Golden form in Hell in GT, despite doing it in Super after he broke out of the cocoon when facing off against Goku.

Pan has also been shown in both Super and End of Z to be more powerful than Goku and Gohan ever was at her age. in GT...Pan does jack shit.

There's other things but these are the main ones.

Kale & Whis are below Raditz? And all 3 of them, plus Dabura, are below Yamcha, Ginyu, Gogeta, & 2 additional Buus?

Cancel this game, these people don't deserve it. This is before considering that Broly's in the Top 3.

EDIT: Also, why do the games need to call him Hercule again? Didn't the dub stick with Mr. Satan?

It was Mr. Satan in Latam in every Dragon Ball Z series, I didn't even know Hercule was a thing.

Gbraga

Can you tell us one character that definitely won’t be in the game?

[Laughs] One that defiantly won’t be in the game… we’re not going to have Taopaipai in the game.

You were too good for this world. RIP in Peace, Taopaipai.

I-hate-u

Get lost.

Can't wait to see what he can do lol

His voice

TreIII

Well Today's Super episode gave us a full moveset for 3 Gods of Destruction

You have no excuse ASW, I want the Foxy

Save 'em for the expansion~!

If even Dragonball Heroes needs time to add in the newest stuff from Super, and that's a continuously updated arcade card game, you know it's going to take awhile for Arc to catch up!

exfatal

The major one is power scaling, which while inconsistent in Super itself the Super characters are way beyond anything seen in GT outside of maybe Omega Shenron and Gogeta which Omega Shenron was only STATED to have the ability to destroy the universe (we never see him actually do it). Characters in Super have been shown repeatedly, including Goku himself, to have the poewr to destroy the universe. SSJGod Goku is already stronger than the highest level of what's presented in GT, and Goku has already gone beyond SSJGod with the Blue form and the other shit he's been doing with it like Kaikon (and the "Mastered SSJ Blue" seen in the manga).

Characters in GT are constantly compared to Majin Boo throughout the series. It's also heavily implied that Majin Boo was the last major enemy they fought. End of Z sort of implies this, but it's weirdness is more along the lines of Goku being interested in Oob's power being similar to Majin Boo despite Boo being relatively weak compared to the likes of Beerus and other Super characters.

There's also the child Pilaf gang, as well as the fact that Kaioshin and Kibito split in Super.

The depiction and role of Hell is also drastically different. In Super, it's directly stated (as well as implied in the original manga and anime series) that Hell's purpose is to "purify" one's soul, and that Freeza's soul is so evil he's still in Hell. This implies other villains were "purified" which directly contradicts the depiction of Hell in the Z filler as well as GT. In Z Filler and GT, Hell is more of a prison rather than a way to purify the soul. Also, Freeza did not use Golden form in Hell in GT, despite doing it in Super after he broke out of the cocoon when facing off against Goku.

Pan has also been shown in both Super and End of Z to be more powerful than Goku and Gohan ever was at her age. in GT...Pan does jack shit.

There's other things but these are the main ones.

OMG thank you dont know how much this means to me, im surprised i missed all this. Alright im pretty hopeful now that GT and garbage gohan no longer exists

DrDogg

The fact that at present Goku and Vegeta don't have a SSB transformation makes me think they won't be in the game at all. Goku can go SSJ3 for a Super, which doesn't work if he ends up with a SSB transformation unless they alter that super move. It would also be hard to make SSB Goku or Vegeta unique compared to the Goku and Vegeta we already have. I think getting Vegito with SSB transformation is more likely than SSB Goku/Vegeta

Taking my previous roster and adjusting for reality, plus adding fighting styles.

Confirmed:

Goku
Vegeta
Gohan
Cell
Buu
Frieza
Future Trunks - Sword combat

My List:

Krillin
Piccolo - Stretchy arms. Would be fun to see Nail and/or Kami fusion for a powerup, but unlikely.
Android 17
Android 18
Ginyu Force - All 5 in some fantastic combined fighting style.
Ultimate Gohan - with Great Saiyaman alt costume

Bulma - with CC tech

Hit - some ingenious/fun way of using his time skip
Beerus - with Whis assists.
Goku Black - with Rose transformation
Zamasu
Vegito - with SSB Transformation
Caulifla

Ginyu Force might be a long shot. It could be super fun though. I could see Android 16 making it instead though.

exfatal

You're going to be pretty disappointed when GT has representation in this game, then.

Oh no dont get me wrong! i don't mind a few GT characters making it into the games. But god is the show awful and i wish it doesn't exist. but i dont i'll live if they still add GT characters can just be a different universe timeline

Fj0823

They fixed it with Super Saiyan Rosé.

They didn't.

Schemmel says that base Black will sound like he does in Xenoverse and will change to Rose voice only when transformed, because that's how he views the character or something and the Japanese suits liked it so fuck fans and their feedback.

Our only hope is that Super has a competent director that reigns on Schemmel

Neoxon

They didn't.

Schemmel says that base Black will sound like he does in Xenoverse and will change to Rose voice only when transformed, because that's how he views the character or something and the Japanese suits liked it so fuck fans and their feedback.

Our only hope is that Super has a competent director that reigns on
Schemmel
Ah shit, I was hoping that the Rosé change would be universal. Save us, Funimation.

I have to ask, why do so many people think Yamcha won't make the cut? He's a pretty integral character in the series and his style would fit well and add to the variety IMO.

Oh no dont get me wrong! i don't mind a few GT characters making it into the games. But god is the show awful and i wish it doesn't exist. but i dont i'll live if they still add GT characters can just be a different universe timeline

I actually think GT is pretty good in many ways. Objectively has the best ending in the series yet, animation quality was consistently high and SSJ4 was excellent in both conception and execution. It has drawbacks, but so does Super and Dragon Ball as a whole.

Plenty of anime/shounen fans rag on DBZ but if you can put aside the legitimate complaints about the show and enjoy the mindless entertainment, then it's possible to do that with Super and GT too.

Watching Super and it seems super weird. Freiza no longer sounds like Genkai, Krillin looks weird, and Gohan can't beat Frieza when he's only in his base form?

exfatal

I have to ask, why do so many people think Yamcha won't make the cut? He's a pretty integral character in the series and his style would fit well and add to the variety IMO.

I actually think GT is pretty good in many ways. Objectively has the best ending in the series yet, animation quality was consistently high and SSJ4 was excellent in both conception and execution. It has drawbacks, but so does Super and Dragon Ball as a whole.

Plenty of anime/shounen fans rag on DBZ but if you can put aside the legitimate complaints about the show and enjoy the mindless entertainment, then it's possible to do that with Super and GT too.

i really felt GT was a slog personally untill baby came and started his mischief. I'll admit there are good parts to GT but feel the bad parts out way it like the first half of the series. The intro was bomb though.

Watching Super and it seems super weird. Freiza no longer sounds like Genkai, Krillin looks weird, and Gohan can't beat Frieza when he's only in his base form?

Why are you watching the BoG and ressurection F arcs in super rather than just watching the movies and then skipping to the actually new material

I actually think GT is pretty good in many ways. Objectively has the best ending in the series yet
, animation quality was consistently high and SSJ4 was excellent in both conception and execution. It has drawbacks, but so does Super and Dragon Ball as a whole.

What? It was like the worst thing about it. And that's saying a lot.

Reset

GT is fine, I'd put it slightly above Super as of now if we're not going to count the Beers movie. Baby and half of the Shadow Dragon arc was as good as the Black arc. Would be kinda happy if they decided to represent GT, but I'm not going to be surprised if there aren't any characters from that series. But the only characters that I think would have somewhat of a small chance would be Uub, Baby, and Omega Shenron.

LotusHD

Banned
GT is fine, I'd put it slightly above Super as of now if we're not going to count the Beers movie. Baby and half of the Shadow Dragon arc was as good as the Black arc. Would be kinda happy if they decided to represent GT, but I'm not going to be surprised if there aren't any characters from that series. But the only characters that I think would have somewhat of a small chance would be Uub, Baby, and Omega Shenron.

Why would you not count something Beerus related?

Super better than GT for the sole fact that it didn't make Goku a kid again.

Also poor Baby, didn't even get any love in Xenoverse 2 if I'm not mistaken.

Reset

Why would you not count something Beerus related?

Super better than GT for the sole fact that it didn't make Goku a kid again.

Also poor Baby, didn't even get any love in Xenoverse 2 if I'm not mistaken.

Because if I remember correctly BoG/RoF happened before Super even started.

Top Bottom