• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Kai Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
jaxword said:
It was the early days of translations when no one really cared about the quality of writing or accuracy of translations, so the companies would just make things up as necessary. See also : early Square-Enix games.

The funny thing is the clip I linked to was the 2005/06 redub of the Z episodes the Ocean cast did. Funimation had the option of changing the scripts, but they kept that.

Rapstah said:
Funimation's (?) dub feels more like a fandub from time to time.

A few of my favourites:

"Alright, looks like I'm back in the saddle, what luck! This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride!"

"Well excuse me, Mr. Hotpants, but this isn't exactly a fashion show y'know."

"Is his shoe size a secret too?"/"Does he have a secret spy decoder ring?"

Strider2K99 said:
Now that you mention it, the logistics behind Cell "learning" Goku's move is not explained well at all. Not something I want to address, lol.

Also, I'm in the camp that Gohan is stronger than Goku by the end of DB.
I'm in the Goku camp because of the 10 year time skip. Goku could tank an equivalent of Kid Buu in normal state. Gohan not training for 10 years makes him weaker then before. He probably forgot the fundamentals again like the fight against Darbura.

Pre time skip Yeah I can see Gohan being stronger thanks to the free power up and his rage power up.

Is Mystic power of Gohan the untapped rage power?

Crakatak187 said:
Goku could tank an equivalent of Kid Buu in normal state.

I don't think Uub was literally as strong as Kid Buu to start with. I figured it was a "he has the potential to be this strong" kinda thing. He'd still have to put some work in to get there.

True that's speculation of my part. I do believe that Goku was stronger thanks to the 10 years of training and Gohan regressing because he did during the 7 year time skip and forgot the fighting fundamentals.

Pre time skip I give it to Gohan since the Mystic doesn't have the drain of SSJ3. Hard to tell how much stronger since both got clobbered by Gotanks Super Buu.

The original idea (if I'm remembering correctly) was that Gohan had unlimited potential because he was a half-breed. This is demonstrated by his power level always fluctuating, letting him go so far as to even temporarily challenge Frieza. By Buu saga, this notion is long gone. If it were still there, you'd have to ask how you awaken the powers of someone with unlimited potential.

Crakatak187 said:
Hard to tell how much stronger since both got clobbered by Gotanks Super Buu.

It'd be fair to say it was a considerable amount. Gohan was smacking Super Buu, whom Goku was sure he himself wouldn't stand a chance against, all over the place until he absorbed Gotenks.

Ten years is a long time, but it's not like Goku was doing any particularly strenuous training. All their big strength boosts come from training in places like the afterlife, gravity chambers, or the Room of Spirit and Time. After Buu, Goku's pretty much just keeping himself fit out in the woods without anything or anyone to really push against. It'd come down more to how much Gohan deteriorated over the decade, I think, and a lot of that's down to technique more than strength.

With the fight against Dabura, I don't think he'd lost a lot of power so much as he was unable to tap into his anger and draw strength from it (the comparison we're given is when he fought Cell, and he had a serious rage boost at that time and was at his peak in terms of fighting skill, having just spent four years training with Goku and Piccolo), combined with his sloppy technique (not exactly gonna be up to par when your only training partners after seven years of slacking are a regular human (who you're also spending time teaching to fly) and a six year old).

It could go either way depending on how you want to look at things, really.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Read it the other day. Sort of confused why he reviewed the DVD and not the BR, unless the BR is for more consolidated releases?

Takao

Banned
Moaradin said:

Chris Sabat everybody!

Moaradin said:
English dub is pretty good most of the time.

Nah, especially for the Funimation dub. They've got a lot of bad character voices going on, people who shouldn't be working as actors, working as actors (Chris Sabat was originally a sound engineer yet landed the roles of Vegeta, Piccolo, and basically every other character in the Funimation dub), the awful music that never stops, and of course the poorly adapted script.

I hear Kai's dub is actually really, really good. But I can't watch Kai given what it is.

Zee-Row

Banned
jaxword said:
It was the early days of translations when no one really cared about the quality of writing or accuracy of translations, so the companies would just make things up as necessary. See also : early Square-Enix games.

Remember when Bardock was a scientist?

Moaradin

Takao said:
Chris Sabat everybody!

Nah, especially for the Funimation dub. They've got a lot of bad character voices going on, people who shouldn't be working as actors, working as actors (Chris Sabat was originally a sound engineer yet landed the roles of Vegeta, Piccolo, and basically every other character in the Funimation dub), the awful music that never stops, and of course the poorly adapted script.

I hear Kai's dub is actually really, really good. But I can't watch Kai given what it is.

I'm currently watching DBZ again with the English voices but the original Japanese music. Really improves it a lot imo.

Big One

Banned
I love the English dub, but it really is inaccurate as fuck. No doubt about it. The original dialogue is simply better on almost every way possible.

Though there is some bits of humor in the English dub such as "Super Saiyan bargain sale."

Takao

Banned
Big One said:
I love the English dub, but it really is inaccurate as fuck. No doubt about it. The original dialogue is simply better on almost every way possible.

Though there is some bits of humor in the English dub such as "Super Saiyan bargain sale."

I always laugh when Krillin cracks a "mondo cool".

Takao

Banned
So anyways, Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock's last chapter was published recently, and it seems to be a wash. Another pointless throw-away item in this franchise. Supposedly the story concludes without answering a single question it raised. Why Shueshia, Bandai and Toei think these half-assed things are the way to go, I have no clue.

jaxword

Takao said:
So anyways, Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock's last chapter was published recently, and it seems to be a wash. Another pointless throw-away item in this franchise. Supposedly the story concludes without answering a single question it raised. Why Shueshia, Bandai and Toei think these half-assed things are the way to go, I have no clue.

Got a translation?

Big One said:

Super Saiyan bargain sale is actually from the original japanese version, that was also in the manga so its not filler either.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hmmmm.

Still confused over the breaks for Kai. If Toei can keep a new ep coming once a week, why not Funi? Bah. Then again they were airing two new eps a week...

Moaradin

I've been watching DBZ with the funimation dub but with uncut music and it never seemed as bad as some of these videos lol.

Takao

Banned
Nicktoons movie schedule:

(All air at 8pm ET with same-night encores at 11pm and 2am ET)

Wed Sept 7 - Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan
Thu Sept 8 - Fusion Reborn
Wed Sept 14 - Super Android 13
Thu Sept 15 - Bojack Unbound
Wed Sept 21 - Broly: Second Coming
Thu Sept 22 - Wrath of the Dragon
Wed Sept 28 - Cooler's Revenge
Thu Sept 29 - Return of Cooler

Anth0ny

Takao said:
Nicktoons movie schedule:

(All air at 8pm ET with same-night encores at 11pm and 2am ET)

Wed Sept 7 - Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan
Thu Sept 8 - Fusion Reborn
Wed Sept 14 - Super Android 13
Thu Sept 15 - Bojack Unbound
Wed Sept 21 - Broly: Second Coming
Thu Sept 22 - Wrath of the Dragon
Wed Sept 28 - Cooler's Revenge
Thu Sept 29 - Return of Cooler

I wish we had this in Canada =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom