• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Kai Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Takao said:
Do you want Disturbed in your Dragon Ball movie?

I'm not even lying. Disturbed is in one of the soundtracks, lol.

LOL

I own most of the movies on DVD, but I wouldn't mind tuning in for a televised episode/movie just for shits and giggles.

Takao

Banned
I believe YTV only ever aired Movies 1-3 because those were the ones Ocean dubbed. It always confused me that rather than having Ocean dub the rest of the films, AB Groupe had commissioned the Big Green dub...

Takao said:
Nicktoons movie schedule:

(All air at 8pm ET with same-night encores at 11pm and 2am ET)

Wed Sept 7 - Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan
Thu Sept 8 - Fusion Reborn
Wed Sept 14 - Super Android 13
Thu Sept 15 - Bojack Unbound
Wed Sept 21 - Broly: Second Coming
Thu Sept 22 - Wrath of the Dragon
Wed Sept 28 - Cooler's Revenge
Thu Sept 29 - Return of Cooler

What a weird schedule. It's pretty much just the last 2/3rds of the movies (minus Bio Broly), why not show them in order?

Yeah, I don't necessarily mean the movies they chose, just the order they're showing them in. You've got 5-13 (sans 11) there, why not just air them that way instead of jumping all over the place?

jaxword

This thread seems to have died without Takao's constant DB news. Whatever happened? Is he banned forever or coming back eventually?

Anth0ny

jaxword said:
This thread seems to have died without Takao's constant DB news. Whatever happened? Is he banned forever or coming back eventually?

Who knows. I'll pick up the slack =P

The DBZ blu rays might actually be good.

04.jpg

Orange bricks.

05.jpg

Dragon box.

06.jpg

Blu ray.

There is a bit of compression since the shots are saved as .jpg, but the blu ray is pretty clearly the best looking shot. Looks like the Dragon Box, except color corrected and remastered. More at Anime News Network.

And before you complain about the grain in the blu ray shot, remind yourself that this show was aired in 1989. The grain is a part of the picture. Don't like it? Pick up the orange bricks! They've been DNR'd to death just for you!

This will be the 5th time I pick up the Saiyan arc episodes ; _ ;

kuYuri

jaxword said:

It's a DBK thread, the shows over and it's an old ass series, what else is there to talk about at this point? :p

Snaku

Banned
Those Blu-ray shots look really fucking nice. Granted they are lossy jpg's, and cherry picked by FUNi because they look good. If the entire transfer looks like those shots, and if all previews, recaps, title cards, op's & ed's are correct, and if the Japanese track isn't total horseshit, I'll be buying these even though I'm half way through collecting the Dragon Box's.

Goddammit.

Takao

Banned
Snaku said:
Those Blu-ray shots look really fucking nice. Granted they are lossy jpg's, and cherry picked by FUNi because they look good. If the entire transfer looks like those shots, and if all previews, recaps, title cards, op's & ed's are correct, and if the Japanese track isn't total horseshit, I'll be buying these even though I'm half way through collecting the Dragon Box's.

Goddammit.

This appears to be a transfer based on Funimation's old film prints. Toei didn't originally give Funimation everything.

As well, the JP track will likely remain mono, lol.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone tell me what set is this taken from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-CL2oOHXTg

It's not true 1080p like the upload says, but it is darn good looking (yes, I know it's cropped). I can't imagine that it's from the 720x480 FUNimation Remastered DVD sets. It looks too clear.

Takao

Banned
Cocopjojo said:
Can anyone tell me what set is this taken from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-CL2oOHXTg

It's not true 1080p like the upload says, but it is darn good looking (yes, I know it's cropped). I can't imagine that it's from the 720x480 FUNimation Remastered DVD sets. It looks too clear.

That's from the Orange Bricks (the cropped and mastered in HD widescreen sets). The reason why it looks so clean is because it's DVNRed to remove every single bit of grain on the film. The problem is, as this was just done with a computer program, rather than by hand a large amount of detail has also been removed, as well as creating some of the jitter you see on the screen. The colours are also messed up, and look over saturated. That's not how Dragon Ball Z is supposed to look like.

I tend to drift in and out of listening to DaizEX (generally just leave it build up for a while, then pick out episodes with topics that interest me), but I've always loved the manga reviews and this looks like a doozy to finish off the series. 108 minutes!

Takao

Banned
Box of Bunnies said:
I tend to drift in and out of listening to DaizEX (generally just leave it build up for a while, then pick out episodes with topics that interest me), but I've always loved the manga reviews and this looks like a doozy to finish off the series. 108 minutes!

And in all concludes into the announcement of
the Dragon Ball GT anime review of (less) awesomeness!

Anth0ny

Oh man. I've been listening to the manga review of awesomeness since volume 1 (and the DaizEX podcast since... 2005?). So crazy that it's over. When they started, I remember thinking "42 volumes? Once a month? This is going to take foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr". Time flies.

Looking forward to their
GT
review of awesomeness, considering I've never watched the show in it's entirety =P

Takao said:
the Dragon Ball GT anime review of (less) awesomeness!

Oh, snap. Will be interesting to hear Jeff's thoughts on that when they get to it.

I might actually watch along with them. I'm aware of most of the problems people have with the show, but I've never really given it much time to properly form my own opinion. It's a shame the execution wasn't great, because the show has some interesting concepts.

Anth0ny

Box of Bunnies said:
Oh, snap. Will be interesting to hear Jeff's thoughts on that when they get to it.

I might actually watch along with them. I'm aware of most of the problems people have with the show, but I've never really given it much time to properly form my own opinion. It's a shame the execution wasn't great, because the show has some interesting concepts.

I was re-reading the final volume of DB yesterday, and it was really interesting to hear the old Kaioshin talk about how Goku and friends shouldn't be messing with the Dragon Balls. Did the anime people actually read the manga? Cause that seems like a direct reference to the evil dragons in GT.

Yet, it seems like they didn't read SHIT when you look at most of GT (Gohan anyone?).

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
I'd forgotten how terrible the entire Buu saga is. Typically (in the previous sagas) the show will have two stories running simultaneously, and one is good and one is filler, i.e. Krillin and Gohan fighting Frieza's men or dodging Vegeta, while Bulma sits in the capsule house complaining. In the Buu saga, though, you have three simultaneous stories and each of them is just as terrible as the next: Old Kai "powering up" Gohan, Chi Chi and Bulma forcing Goten and Trunks to take naps while Earth is destroyed, Mr. Satan cooking for Buu and hanging out with a puppy...

Then after like twenty episodes Gotenks finally fights Buu and the entire thing is a series of jokes.

Cell saga wasn't fantastic either but the Buu saga is just embarrassing. It's pretty amazing how sharply things went downhill over the course of the series.

Buu_saga.png

Snaku

Banned
Cocopjojo said:
I'd forgotten how terrible the entire Buu saga is. Typically (in the previous sagas) the show will have two stories running simultaneously, and one is good and one is filler, i.e. Krillin and Gohan fighting Frieza's men or dodging Vegeta, while Bulma sits in the capsule house complaining. In the Buu saga, though, you have three simultaneous stories and each of them is just as terrible as the next: Old Kai "powering up" Gohan, Chi Chi and Bulma forcing Goten and Trunks to take naps while Earth is destroyed, Mr. Satan cooking for Buu and hanging out with a puppy...

Then after like twenty episodes Gotenks finally fights Buu and the entire thing is a series of jokes.

Cell saga wasn't fantastic either but the Buu saga is just embarrassing. It's pretty amazing how sharply things went downhill over the course of the series.

Buu_saga.png

It's pretty well known that Toriyama was writing DBZ against his will by that point, and was basically just trolling his bosses.

Big One

Banned
Aside from Freeza/Cell the majority of Dragonball is a series of jokes. That's the whole point. Just because Bruce Faulcnor made it seem deeper than it actually is doesn't mean it was.

As for the Toriyama comment there is considerable amount of evidence that Toriyama was pretty much against his will for many many arcs before Boo saga.

jaxword

Big One said:
Aside from Freeza/Cell the majority of Dragonball is a series of jokes. That's the whole point. Just because Bruce Faulcnor made it seem deeper than it actually is doesn't mean it was.

As for the Toriyama comment there is considerable amount of evidence that Toriyama was pretty much against his will for many many arcs before Boo saga.

While that's true, the Buu saga's clear parody-of-itself nature really is apparent. If he didn't hate doing the job by then, he was definitely burned out.

jaxword

DominoKid said:
Toriyama was trolling hard w/ the Buu saga.

Yeah, like, from a sheer narrative perspective, it's clear he had ideas up to specific points--which is the hallmark of a good writer. You have an ending in mind. Then he had to start again from scratch. Freeza Saga had a clear ending and beginning. Android...went all over the place, but still had the right ending. Buu...was just random garbage.

Freeza:
Goku saves the Universe from his race and his father's killer, and transforms one last time from his happy go lucky self to a cold killer, except this time it's not a giant ape but an energy being, fulfilling his races's destiny as the chosen Saiyin, a martyr til the end. Gohan is his successor, now as Goku and Krillin both die, leaving the older generation dead.

Then comes the androids, whose motivation is pure revenge. Sort of a weak premise, but it has some tension. I suspect Yamcha was supposed to die as well in a Worf effect to show the danger of androids' energy-sucking powers, clearing the last of the old guard who are out of their league. Tien dies holding back Cell. Piccolo dies stalling Cell. Everyone cannot beat this guy...but then they all miraculously survive. Gohan goes from naive kid to the TRUE hero who kills Cell, completing his character arc that started with the Saiyan saga. Goku dies for real this time, no resurrections. Gohan takes over, and the new generation is ready.

Buu saga: Toriyama has said in interviews he screwed up here. He couldn't make Gohan an interesting Superhero character in high school--he has admitted high school drama and romance is NOT his strength, and it shows. Then came Goten as a mini-Goku. The BEST part of Buu Sage was Spopobichi, who genuinely WAS creepy. Human, but zombie-like, unkillable and just a creepy Videl-beating monster. I hated him more than Buu...and then Toriyama randomly kills him off. Waste of a great monster.

Then comes the most dangerous villian EVER with Buu, who is basically the T-1000 mixed with Aladdin. Toriyama was flat out stealing American ideas by then. And how does that villain wage his war?

He eats candy. Gotenks headbutts him with a headbutt noise. NO ONE thinks that Toriyama, when starting the Buu saga, had this vision of a kid with no eyebrows fighting a bubblegum demon. He was clearly just throwing shit to see what stuck. And when that failed, he just had Goku save the day again despite the entire Buu saga supposedly saying how this is NOT going to happen.

I respect Toriyama. He is a genius of our time. It's just clear he just didn't want to do DBZ anymore. They really, really, really should have given him time off after the Android Saga to recharge his cells and come up with better ideas.

Takao

Banned
I actually really do enjoy the Boo saga. I can see why people don't like it based on the past 2 storylines, but it brings the series full circle to its roots. Toriyama never wrote a "Dragon Ball Z" he only wrote a "Dragon Ball", and you have to keep that in mind. Boo is the series finally realizing everything that came before and acting upon it. We have the realization of Vegeta, finally allowing him to not just be a caricature, but rather a character. We see a return of the light hearted fun of earlier chapters. For the first time in the series, we actually care, and feel for a villain so much so that he's no longer a villain but a friend (Mr. Boo). Some guy introduced in the last saga, who was a major dick, reveals himself to be a cowardly, but equally good man who just wants to do things right (Mr. Satan). Most importantly, it brings Goku to his realization that it isn't him, or his friends that are going to keep the world running. It's the people of the world that will.

Without Boo you have none of that, and without Boo you don't have Dragon Ball.

I also think it's ridiculous to claim Toriyama's stealing ideas for the Boo saga. It's probably the most inspired one in "Z" given it's not a rip of Aliens (Freeza), or Terminator (Androids/Cell).

I like the Buu arc. It's Toriyama back in his element and you can tell he's having fun with it. Could've used a bit of tightening up, but it's not some blight on the series or anything.

Buu and Satan are awesome together, I'dve loved for them to get their own spinoff. I kind of like weaker, awkward teen Gohan too; the whole point of his character was always that he fought because he had to, not because he wanted to, unlike his father. Give him seven years of peace and of course he's going to settle down and study.

Takao said:
While I'm thread pimping, might as well bring up the Ultimate Tenkaichi OT as well.

I can't really muster up much enthusiasm for UT. I was right into following and being hyped for every game in the Budokai years, but I fell off a little after BT1 (still got a few of the non-BT games, but didn't really follow the news too closely after that). I got Raging Blast 2 last year and it was okay, but I never really got too into it. Ultimate Tenkaichi looks nice, but still seems like much of the same.

Takao

Banned
It's crazy. Kai ended 8 months ago in Japan, and has since been fully released there. Kai will soon conclude on Nicktoons, and on home video here. Yet, we're not done with Kai. We still have the CW4Kids broadcast, as well as constant rumors of the Ocean dub.

Keeping Americans Interested, indeed.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Not the rap music. :(

>:|

WTF was the point of releasing GT on DVD with the original music and going through the trouble of dubbing the original opening if you'd just go back the rap crap? I mean it seriously impaired my enjoyment of GT so much that I haven't rewatched it since the dub originally aired. I mean, damn.

Also WTF at Nick just skipping Buu. Crappy decisions all over the place.

Takao

Banned
Not the rap music. :(

>:|

WTF was the point of releasing GT on DVD with the original music and going through the trouble of dubbing the original opening if you'd just go back the rap crap? I mean it seriously impaired my enjoyment of GT so much that I haven't rewatched it since the dub originally aired. I mean, damn.

Also WTF at Nick just skipping Buu. Crappy decisions all over the place.

They could be just using Funimation's old edited TV masters which would have the Menza score recorded onto them...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well, I guess...

What will decide me watching GT on Nick: Whether they skip the first 13 eps and try to awkwardly tell the crucial parts in hamfisted flashbacks or not.

BigFwoosh

Serious question. I know everyone says that GT is awful, but I've watched all of Z and I'm halfway through DB now (never seen the whole thing). Is GT really that bad? Like, unwatchable bad? For what its worth, even though it dragged on tremendously I did somewhat like the Buu arc.

Zzoram

Serious question. I know everyone says that GT is awful, but I've watched all of Z and I'm halfway through DB now (never seen the whole thing). Is GT really that bad? Like, unwatchable bad? For what its worth, even though it dragged on tremendously I did somewhat like the Buu arc.

GT focuses more on kids again like DB did.

Goku is turned into a kid immediately, and goes on an adventure with Pan and Trunks.

Takao

Banned
Well, I guess...

What will decide me watching GT on Nick: Whether they skip the first 13 eps and try to awkwardly tell the crucial parts in hamfisted flashbacks or not.

I'd love to see them try the whole "Lost Episodes" crap given GT's been fully released on DVD, and even VHS in the US for years, haha.

GT's wasted potential. It's worth checking out if you like Goku, and can ignore some interesting story gafs in terms of power and previously established things...

Moaradin

Man, I want there to be a new Dragon Ball series. Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragon Ball are both shows from my childhood that I miss like crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom