• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

HeroR

well, that was unexpected, as SS 1/2/blue without the blue aura (speciallty SS 1/2) looked pretty off to me.

If i had to guess, i would assume that the general consensus is that super saiyan goku (and spicky saiyan like hair) look significantly worse in super, compared to in the past.

However, goku's appearance in dragon ball super is probably a discussion that people had way back when super was released. Me randomly coming in and bringing it up 109 episodes in (i hadn't watched a full episode of super before) is probably not going to make people interested in going over that again.

I wanted to give my opinion on it, at least.

Super Saiyan without the aura also looked meh in Z. Especially when it shaded more blond than gold and there some ugly Super Saiyan Goku shots in Z.

You could say that, but you can't say for sure unless you run poll.

You can have your opinion, I just didn't like the implication that no one could see Super Saiyan Goku in Super better than Z. While Z has some great shots of Super Saiyan anyone that looks better than Super, it are several hideous Super Saiyan shots, most in the Cell Saga.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Back in the Namek/Frieza saga Frieza assumed Gohan was Vegeta's kid, didn't he?

Makes sense looking at Super's Gohan.:p

Nah, he realizes Gohan must be a Saiyan kid and rules out Vegeta and Nappa because he doesn't resemble them. He thinks he might be Raditz's since his face looks similar.

AoZ3Sbu.png

ec0ec0

Super Saiyan without the aura also looked meh in Z.

about the aura thing, i was refering to super saiyan blue, which has that blue aura that makes goku look kinda different. The blue aura stands out a lot more than the yellow one, but goku doesn't have it most of the time anyway. So, when giving my opinion on SSB goku appearance, i pointed out that i was talking about it without the blue aura, as that how he appears most of the time.

brinstar

Nah, he realizes Gohan must be a Saiyan kid and rules out Vegeta and Nappa because he doesn't resemble them. He thinks he might be Raditz's since his face looks similar.

which is funny because Gohan looks nothing like Raditz and Raditz has the same face as Vegeta anyway lol

ec0ec0

While Z has some great shots of Super Saiyan anyone that looks better than Super, it are several hideous Super Saiyan shots, most in the Cell Saga.

it's more about the appearance that he tends to have, not the apearance that he may have in a particular shot/frame. Super saiyan blue appeared a lot during 109, more than enough to judge it. Super saiyan 1/2 barely appeared, but considering that this was going to be the super hyped "special", and it was supposedly going to have the best animation in super yet, i though that it would be ok to judge super saiyan's appearance based on 109, as i assumed they wouldn't make goku look worse than usual in the "special". I just gave for granted that that was representative of how super saiyan 1/2 goku usually looks, but thinking about it, maybe i shouldn't have said anything about it considering how little it appeared on the episode. Although, no one came and said to me "actually, that wasn't representative of how super saiyan goku tends to look as he usually looks much better than that".

Morlas

it's more about the appearance that he tends to have, not the apearance that he may have in a particular shot/frame. Super saiyan blue appeared a lot during 109, more than enough to judge it. Super saiyan 1/2 barely appeared, but considering that this was going to be the super hyped "special", and it was supposedly going to have the best animation in super yet, i though that would be ok to judge super saiyan's appearance based on 109, as i assumed they wouldn't make goku look worse than usual in the "special". I just gave for granted that that was representative of how super saiyan 1/2 goku usually looks, but thinking about it, maybe i shouldn't have said anything about it considering how little it appeared on the episode. Although, no one came and said to me "actually, that wasn't representative of how super saiyan goku tends to look as he usually looks much better than that".

regular super saiyan goku hasn't appeared very often in super

The angels have answered

Lead credence to the people thinking Zeno is a glass cannon

I don't know about that. One of the greatest threats our heroes have ever faced was Zamasu who was becoming the entire universe, spreading his influence. Zeno saw him and handled it like it was nothing. If he can do that, I can't possibly see fusion Zamasu, for example, being any threat to Zeno. They protect him due to how important he is, and, above all, how child like and innocent he is. But if someone challenges him to a fight or attempts to present a legitimate threat to him, they are dead.

HeroR

about the aura thing, i was refering to super saiyan blue, which has that blue aura that makes goku look kinda different. The blue aura stands out a lot more than the yellow one, but goku doesn't have it most of the time anyway. So, when giving my opinion on SSB goku appearance, i pointed out that i was talking about it without the blue aura, as that how he appears most of the time.

Auraless Blue depends on who draws it. It can looked good, to fine, to bleh. I will agree that the aura makes the god forms.

regular super saiyan goku hasn't appeared very often in super

You can even count it:

Battle of Gods: 2

Resurrection 'F': 1

Champa Saga: 1

Future Trunks Saga: 0

Breather Episodes: 2

Universal Survival Saga: 8

So about 60% of Super Saiyan usage is in this saga alone.

Goku's super Saiyan form did look much better in Z, but because it isn't really the main event now it gets lower priority when it's being drawn. The biggest issue is the hair and the face.

ec0ec0

Auraless Blue depends on who draws it. It can looked good, to fine, to bleh. I will agree that the aura makes the god forms.

another reason why judging goku's appearance based on a single episode wasn't the greatest idea. Athought you would expect him to look the best he possibly can in the "special"

Morlas

another reason why judging goku's appearance based on a single episode wasn't the greatest idea. Athought you would expect him to look the best he possibly can in the "special"

it's pretty obvious most of the effort was put into the actual animation and SSBKK....because the animation did look very good

HeroR

Blue looks great in in 109. It just better cuts exists like Episodes 57, 66, and 95.

it's pretty obvious most of the effort was put into the actual animation and SSBKK....because the animation did look very good

That too.

ec0ec0

You can even count it:

Battle of Gods: 2

Resurrection 'F': 1

Champa Saga: 1

Future Trunks Saga: 0

Breather Episodes: 2

Universal Survival Saga: 8

So about 60% of Super Saiyan usage is in this saga alone.

really!? that's virtually nothing for 110 episodes?

Also, based on OP, Goku is most definitely awakening a super Saiyan version of that form he used while fighting Jiren. He probably won't immediately reawaken ultra instinct, but his power and speed will be able to match Jiren's.

HeroR

Super Saiyan isn't Goku's main form anymore. He mostly used it to test people or to save energy. In the Future Trunks Saga, he used Super Saiyan 2 as his testing form, which he used three times.

But I was wrong, he used Super Saiyan three times in Battle of Gods Saga. I forgot his training on the farm. He also used Super Saiyan nine times in this current saga, forgot he used Super Saiyan against Toppo.

Skeeter49

Blue was introduced in RoF, since then SSJ has been obsolete.

Gohan was the only one representing SSJ post that. Plus the occasional Gotenks appearance, and discount Tarble.

This arc has been focused on stamina control, which is why SSJ has had a bigger focus.

These 2 from Gohan training with Piccolo are among my favorite SS shots in Super too (wish I could find a cleaner version of the first one):

5.png

CUstkvf.png

There are a few shots of Gohan I think are really good but I'm not a fan of how he looks in this shot, or this episode in general.

One shot I like I can think of is the one where he Kamehamehas Goku's Kamehameha.

ec0ec0

so, super saiyan blue, doesn't have the blue aura most of the time, right? (which is a shame)

is it so that they save themselves the work of having to draw it/animate it all the time? is it used more in the big moments instead? (when they spend more in animation)

HeroR

It's how I noticed it

I think someone put it best that he wanted to make sure nothing hit Zen’o and upset him. The Grand Priest was worried that the Spirit Bomb would nuke the stage.

It's when Goku wants to show off

Correct. Like Super Saiyan in Z didn’t have an aura 90% of the time. The god forms stick out since the auras are more dramatic. Like Blue has a smooth, serene aura while Super Saiyan God has a flame aura that is different from Super Saiyan.

All the auras in Z looked the same with different colors.

caliph95

I think someone put it best that he wanted to make sure nothing hit Zen’o and upset him. The Grand Priest was worried that the Spirit Bomb would nuke the stage.
That would make more sense

I still don't buy them being glass cannon was just an interesting observation

Uzumaki Goku

So if each episode takes about 2 minutes and we have 25 minutes left, we should have about maybe 12 episodes left in the TOP? I imagine they'll want to announce what the next arc will be at JF in December.

Ashodin

So if each episode takes about 2 minutes and we have 25 minutes left, we should have about maybe 12 episodes left in the TOP? I imagine they'll want to announce what the next arc will be at JF in December.

Just because the tournament ends doesn't mean the arc is over.

Top Bottom