• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 1-8 coming to smartphones.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
ZVua6.gif

Seriously?

MormaPope

Banned
Remember, Dragon Quest always appears on the most popular platform. Guess what platform is the most popular now?

But Square Enix could make even more money possibly by porting these games to any other platform besides smart phones. DQ8 for $10 or $15 on Steam could be easy cash.

johnny956

Probably will pick these up depending on cost. I actually haven't played any of them yet. Any recommendations which ones I should get first?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Between 10 being an MMO, the 7 remix not coming to the states, and now this... the DQ series is dead to me. Which is a total shame since it was once my 2nd favorite game series of all time :(

So depressing...

This is good news but I'm shaking with excitement for what this might mean for XI. If they make it for iOS and Android there's nothing stopping them from building their own multiplayer network that is totally cross compatible with both platforms. Throw in online support via 3G/LTE and Dragon Quest might do really well in the West.

Damaniel

Banned
My only question is "how are they going to cram the S-E trademarked mobile microtransactions into these?" Or alternately, are they going to expect us to spend $20 apiece for them? Or possibly both?

(I'd pay $20 for a zero-microtransaction portable port of DQ8. It's my favorite game of the series by far.)

Aeana

This is good news but I'm shaking with excitement for what this might mean for XI. If they make it for iOS and Android there's nothing stopping them from building their own multiplayer network that is totally cross compatible with both platforms. Throw in online support via 3G/LTE and Dragon Quest might do really well in the West.
Are you familiar with Square Enix at all?

klee123

Hmmm, considering that the games are heavily menu based during battles, it may not be too bad on iphone.

Well, since I've yet to rebuy a 3DS, this is not bad for me at all assuming that they will release these in English.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
What makes you think they won't be $15+ on phones?

It doesn't particularly help that Square's apparently been successful at their ~$20 price point on cell phones, either. Just don't buy 'em, people. Light a candle for hope, hook up your PS2, and play through Dragon Quest VIII with a glass of red wine by your side.

As a huge BoF fan and a DQ fan, I have no idea how the two situations are even remotely alike.

One is a numbered sequel to a long dead (T_T) series that lacks anything that made the other games special, the other is a set of ports.

Claneko

Got no problem with this at all. My only concern is port quality. I don't exactly want, say, Dragon Quest VIII to have any graphical downgrades or edits to make it passable on a smartphone. I have a good device, much more capable than a PS2, and I expect at the bare minimum, the PS2 game with touch controls.

So are the first three just the old cellphone versions (I think 1+2 had different sprites than the SFC remakes)? I assume 4-6 are the DS versions and 7 is the 3DS one?

SkyOdin

Final Fantasy 1->5 + Tactics are all already on iOS, and have been for quite some time, so I really don't get people's reactions here. There is nothing shocking, surprising, or really crazy about this move. Square Enix just likes having their flagship games on every console possible.

Alchemy

Final Fantasy 1->5 + Tactics are all already on iOS, and have been for quite some time, so I really don't get people's reactions here. There is nothing shocking, surprising, or really crazy about this move. Square Enix just likes having their flagship games on every console possible.

Yeah, I don't get it. I'm not really on the smartphone gaming bandwagon, but older games being ported to iOS/Android isn't bad. Especially turn based JRPGs, because menu heavy games actually work well on the platforms.

This is awesome. Crazy that eight is included.

Now to watch and weep as these go without an English translation.

At this point. it's looking like you'll need to learn Japanese if you are a DQ fan. Who would have thought we'd see the day when SMT is the series getting lots of entries translated while DQ stays in Japan.

Thorakai

Square Enix should just skip to the step where they become overzealous by the success of their mobile games and fund the development of their own smartphone, make their games exclusive to that platform, utterly fail to move enough units to recoup development costs, and spend the rest of their existence making up for that one stupid move.

VariantX

I think the worry is about where XI will end up more than anything else.

rpmurphy

10/10

NolbertoS

I really wanna play DQVII on the 3DS. With that being said, I hope SE localizes this out West. I love Kotobuki Solutions JRPGs and Chaos Rings SE Iphone games. I'd repurchase all DQ's again as I always replay the Loto Trilogy and Zenithian Trilogy once a year

Game Guru

But Square Enix could make even more money possibly by porting these games to any other platform besides smart phones. DQ8 for $10 or $15 on Steam could be easy cash.

Because PC Gaming is not popular in Japan where Dragon Quest makes all of its cash. Neither is any gaming platform with maybe the possible exception of the 3DS which isn't doing as well as the DS did.

MormaPope

Banned
What makes you think they won't be $15+ on phones?

I can't recall any pricing for Square Enix games on mobile devices, besides the "swipe the screen furiously to win" Final Fantasy game. Based on your post though I imagine they price gouge these ports.

Square Enix's current creed seems to be "Live nostalgic or die cheaply."

Blue-kun

Between stuff like this, TWEWY and all the other mobages like Chaos Rings and Drakerider, it does seem like S-E wants me to get a smartphone. And to be honest, I'm very tempted to do so...

Who'd have thought, though. I'm sure back when I was playing on my PSX I wouldn't have believed anyone who'd tried to tell me that S-E would shift focus so hard to cellphones in the future, lol.

Top Bottom