• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 1-8 coming to smartphones.

SkyOdin

I think the worry is about where XI will end up more than anything else.

I think that worry is a little unfounded. Final Fantasy 1 through V coming to smartphone didn't translate into Final Fantasy XV being a smartphone game. Square seems to be content to produce a freaking ton of minor Final Fantasy spin-offs for iOS.

mao2

Heh, I was expecting this announcement and it finally came. IMO RPGs work well on smartphones, so I'm actually happy about it. Hopefully they aren't crappy ports though.

This is why we can't have nice things.

SE is only making games and ports for the Japanese market.

They can release the game on 3DS and Vita and have to EASY ways of making money. Very easy ways, but no, they are fucking stupid. Someone needs to fire this CEO asap.

Sandfox

Watch none of these or any future DQ game come to the US...

This really feels like SE is doing whatever they can for money and I wouldn't be surprised if both FF and DQ moved to handhelds for the forseeable after XV and DQM2 are released.

I'd pay $10 to play DQVIII on my iPhone/iPad.

Its too that probably isn't going to ever happen.

I think that worry is a little unfounded. Final Fantasy 1 through V coming to smartphone didn't translate into Final Fantasy XV being a smartphone game. Square seems to be content to produce a freaking ton of minor Final Fantasy spin-offs for iOS.

FFXV has probably been in the works since like 2005 so that's not really a convincing argument.

Help me out here. Why is this such a terrible thing? I'd love to be able to play these on my phone or tablet. I only ever played the first NES Dragon Warrior.

Please understand.

Diagol

My phone battery will probably run out before I can make it to the church to save my game.

I have to admit, this made me laugh harder than I expected it to.

Funny enough, my iPhone 5 loads their site very slowly. Where did that DQ8 overworld pic come from? Their site?

gblues

Banned
If it comes out in English..
AND if it has a modicum of effort put into it (please use an appropriate typeface and not fucking Helvetica)..

I'll probably buy it.

rpmurphy

Pretty much what I said in a thread about not getting 7 a few months back.

Back in the day, DQ was in, Megami Tensei, Sweet Home, etc. were waaaay out of bounds.

Now the game with a veiny penis demon is the sure thing for localization.

I'm a fan of both, but can't we have it all?
There just isn't enough of a dedicated fanbase for it. DQV, by far the most acclaimed iteration in the series, almost jeopardized the franchise in the West with sales of the DS remake. It's not quite the same situation.

Help me out here. Why is this such a terrible thing? I'd love to be able to play these on my phone or tablet. I only ever played the first NES Dragon Warrior.

Please understand.

Because only REAL gaming systems like 3ds and Vita should be allowed to have these masterpieces. Mobile gaming is a blight on gaming humanity and must be greeted with seething hatred! /s

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This is why we can't have nice things.

SE is only making games and ports for the Japanese market.

They can release the game on 3DS and Vita and have to EASY ways of making money. Very easy ways, but no, they are fucking stupid. Someone needs to fire this CEO asap.

lol, Wada, the former CEO, got the boot back in March. He's still with the company, as far as I know, but there were clearly plenty of salarymen waiting in the wings for their turn to fuck Square's corpse.

Sandfox

Please understand.

Its a combination of:
-Many of the people on GAF don't like mobile gaming for various reasons
-This means that there is a chance that DQ will become a mobile series and it shows that SE isn't afraid of putting their biggest series there
-These will probably be identical ports and most people wanted a remake of DQVIII
-There is a good chance that these won't leave Japan

if it's free2play, they'll make a fuck ton of money.

If the game is f2p that's like auto confirmation that the game is going to suck.

Game Guru

Pretty much what I said in a thread about not getting 7 a few months back.

Back in the day, DQ was in, Megami Tensei, Sweet Home, etc. were waaaay out of bounds.

Now the game with a veiny penis demon is the sure thing for localization.

I'm a fan of both, but can't we have it all?

Oh, just wait until Sega starts dictating the localization of Shin Megami Tensei.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I for one support this because I feel it is one step closer to a proper English PC release of the series. Heck, I may pick up a few of the games if they come out in English.

Plus, 8 is looking pretty good there.

mao2

My phone battery will probably run out before I can make it to the church to save my game.
Final Fantasy III for iOS/Android has a Quicksave function which allows you to save anywhere, and it's really convenient. They'll probably implement this in the Dragon Quest games as well.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
-This means that there is a chance that DQ will become a mobile series and it shows that SE isn't afraid of putting their biggest series there
Dragon Quest is not SE's biggest franchise.

VariantX

Its a combination of:
-These will probably be identical ports and most people wanted a remake of DQVIII

There's also the idea of them putting micro transactions in the game in such a way that it potentially affects progression through the game.

Clunker

Hell yeah! Turn-based games are fantastic on iOS, and I love DQIV and V so much I'd be happy to rebuy just to have on my other portable system. I am all up in these ports if they make it to the States -- :( to that, though.

It would be nice if we could go half a page about an iOS game without all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth, but so it goes.

Somnid

Its a combination of:

high price, micro transactions, RPG maker art, low quality, Square Enix.

crinale

They kept saying that DQ will be released to the platform with largest install base.
They are very straightforward about this.

Personally I'd rather play DQXI on my smartphone than 3DS

Sandfox

Dragon Quest is not SE's biggest franchise.

I'm not saying it is; I'm saying that this shows that SE is willing to put their major bread winners on mobile so we could see other big franchises from SE on mobile soon.

high price, micro transactions, RPG maker art, low quality, Square Enix.

The FFV port kinda pissed my off and the TAY remake made it even worse.

Velcro Fly

Hell yeah! Turn-based games are fantastic on iOS, and I love DQIV and V so much I'd be happy to rebuy just to have on my other portable system. I am all up in these ports if they make it to the States -- :( to that, though.

It would be nice if we could go half a page about an iOS game without all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth, but so it goes.

it isn't iOS. It's SE.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon

You should have seen when DQIX was announced for the DS then. This is not nearly as bad.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm not saying it is; I'm saying that this shows that SE is willing to put their major bread winners on mobile so we could see other big franchises from SE on mobile soon.
It's not like they're newcomers to smartphones.

IzzyF3

When I heard Kingdom Hearts and FFX was getting the HD treatment, I was hoping DQ 8 would get one too. Nope.

crinale

The FFV port kinda pissed my off and the TAY remake made it even worse.

SE admitted that they've made quite a lot of money on FFV, along with other mobile-games.
They even said the Vita game they've ported recently from mobile made profit equivalent to selling 300K retail copies.

Companies go where money exists.

Top Bottom