• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 1-8 coming to smartphones.

mao2

I have to admit, this made me laugh harder than I expected it to.

Funny enough, my iPhone 5 loads their site very slowly. Where did that DQ8 overworld pic come from? Their site?
game1.jpg
game2.jpg
game3.jpg

Can you see these?
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/company/ja/news/2013/html/56a7abe635cc1de7c0719e76f250d640.html

Sandfox

SE admitted that they've made quite a lot of money on FFV, along with other mobile-games.
They even said the Vita game they've ported recently from mobile made profit equivalent to selling 300K retail copies.

Companies go where money exists.

I actually think its a smart and obvious move on SE's part but I don't think I'm personally going like what becomes of these type of moves by them.

jblank83

Look, you iceholes, just give me my farking DQ VII and Bravely Default on 3DS, and maybe the upgraded FF IV port.

For fark's sake, you sumnabatches.

Man, I just can't do menu based JRPG's on a touchscreen. Or use a virtual d-pad. I've tried multiple games and I just can't comfortably use it.

Good for those that can work it though. Hopefully these are quality ports. Maybe they can throw them on Vita afterwards.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The only thing SE could do to actually piss me off is remake the sprites like they did in FFV. God damn those are horrible.

OnFire331

I will wait and see how this goes, those DQVIII pics don't look bad at all (can't say the same about Capcom's efforts). Will Dragon Quest VII be an up-res version of the 3DS remake?

I wonder what is keeping them from bringing IX to the mix?

I assume making the networking features work/updating the graphics would take a lot more effort than they're willing to commit to at this point. 1-6 can be hecka low effort (tacky HD filter + touch controls and call it a day), 7 3DS already looks like a smartphone game, and 8 probably took some work to shrink down, but making 9 presentable would be more akin to a remake.

Tabris

Man I give up on SE. I'll check back when a release date happens for FFXV or KH3. Which I don't have any faith will actually be released.

Aeana

To those wondering about what this means about the future of Dragon Quest, I would like to bring you all back to this thread.

One thing I can say," he said, "looking across the series from DQ8 onward, is that the business model of creating a retail package and releasing it exclusively on a single platform has become difficult to execute. Gamers' play styles and tastes are getting segmented, and we can't settle on a single platform. We're also in an era where trying to make back development costs on a title good enough to be part of the main story is getting more difficult with the traditional business model. We have to build a new business model, one that doesn't end with a retail package being purchased.

The main thing we can take from this is that the days of platform exclusivity for Dragon Quest are most likely coming to an end, at the very least.

Oh lord no, the anger, the hatred, the 100 pages of insanity.
Now I gotta read the thread. So. No chance of them localizing this for the US right? I would love to play these games for the first time. I loved DQ9. So many hours put into it and the co-op.

UberTag

This company just need to go mobile-exclusive and remake their entire back catalog while killing any and all new project development aside from All the Bravest sequels and Toriyama's "insert Lightning into this game genre" of the year.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Its a combination of:
-Many of the people on GAF don't like mobile gaming for various reasons
-This means that there is a chance that DQ will become a mobile series and it shows that SE isn't afraid of putting their biggest series there
-These will probably be identical ports and most people wanted a remake of DQVIII
-There is a good chance that these won't leave Japan

If the game is f2p that's like auto confirmation that the game is going to suck.

"The Metal Slime ran away! But if you pay $1.99 you can get another chance to fight it!"

Wilsongt

I'm okay with 1 - 3. We already have a knockoff dq1 on ios, might as well get the real version.

Other than that, fuck you, Square-Enix.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Why not? They ported the DS version of FFIII and FFIV to smartphones before.
I mean they might. I would be kind of shocked. Old DS ports seem like a very different thing to me.

Pooya

DQ8 shots almost look like they were designed for a dual screen system at first, tehe.

I'm starting to think they expected a lot more from DQ7 remake sales.... now future is mobile!

this is pretty funny overall. haha

don't shoot.

NolbertoS

Well, I'm not a huge fan of the Virtual Joystick and do owm all the DQ games on almost every console released out West. I'm tempted to buy an Ipad just for DQ. I bought a PS2 exclusively for DQVII back in the day as it was released when PS1 consoles were being clearanced. Thats how much love and dedication I have for the DQ series over FF.

Top Bottom