• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 1-8 coming to smartphones.

StatsChu

Neo Member
Watch us get an English release of DQ7 iOS and not DQ7 3DS

aaahhhhhhh.gif

OnFire331

DQ8 shots almost look like they were designed for a dual screen system at first, tehe.

I'm starting to think they expected a lot more from DQ7 remake sales.... now future is mobile!

this is pretty funny overall. haha

don't shoot.

Didn't it sell over one million units? What more can they expect from a remake of a 13 year-old game?

DQ8 shots almost look like they were designed for a dual screen system at first, tehe.

I'm starting to think they expected a lot more from DQ7 remake sales..
It sold over a million the first week.

But about the DQVIII comment, *sigh* that might be true. Why is it played vertically? Hmm...

Hoping Reggie and Nintendo will localize DQVII 3DS after Bravely Default.

On a side note, watch the sequel to Bravely Default after BD for the Sequel is also mobile!

Coded wasn't as big on the story as Birth By Sleep, Dream Drop Distance or even Days.
This shows that Square is willing to bring whatever into Mobile, which scares me because they might do something as big as BBS or DDD for mobile after or before, although they said that DDD was the last game they would do before KH 3.

Tho I guess I shouldn't worry since KH 3 is about 4 or 5 years away.
god damn it

Myriadis

Sure, why not?
It's not like any DQ game needs fast, very responsive controls. Would only suck if that means that they wouldn't release any stuff on other consoles/handhelds now.

NolbertoS

I wonder if this news would make Nintendo shift strategy over times to the smartphone market. I know they'll never release there games to another competitors device, but if SE and other developers see a moneyhats in a freemium model, they have to go where the money trail is. Sorry to derail the thread. Back to SE DQ port news :'(

watershed

Banned
I don't know what it is about mobile gaming that I don't like. I have a high end smart phone that can play any game being released for mobile these days. the graphics look good and all but somehow I find playing just about any game on my phone to be terribly unappealing. It's not just the lack of tactile controls but also something about the experience seems so disposable. Even playing a robust rpg feels lacking somehow.

ILoveBish

This is a huge win for consumers who do not want to buy overpriced and underpowered hardware to enjoy Dragon Quest titles. Thanks to square for realizing that consumers already own more powerful hardware in their pockets and put their games there instead. All 8 will be purchased on Android by me, including the next mainline title when it is inevitably announced.

HeelPower

Coded wasn't as big on the story as Birth By Sleep, Dream Drop Distance or even Days.
This shows that Square is willing to bring whatever into Mobile, which scares me because they might do something as big as BBS or DDD for mobile after or before, although they said that DDD was the last game they would do before KH 3.

Tho I guess I shouldn't worry since KH 3 is about 4 or 5 years away.
god damn it

maybe never!

could be canceled if SE suffers a number of flops.

This is a huge win for consumers who do not want to buy overpriced and underpowered hardware to enjoy Dragon Quest titles. Thanks to square for realizing that consumers already own more powerful hardware in their pockets and put their games there instead. All 8 will be purchased on Android by me, including the next mainline title when it is inevitably announced.
wow are you the devil or something

Sandfox

I wish I could be excited about this lol.

AmanoBuff

All I want is DQ8 on Vita. Is that too much to ask? It clearly is...

It seems so. This game's play style and visuals just scream Vita. But well, it looks like it won't happen now. I'm heartbroken. :'(

It sold over a million the first week.

But about the DQVIII comment, *sigh* that might be true. Why is it played vertically? Hmm...

So that even if some of us gamers buy the controller add-on for our smartphones, even then we won't be able to enjoy the game the way we want.

Square's master
troll
plan.

mao2

Would upset a lot of western fans... but they probably won't care.
They don't care. If they did, we would see DQVII released on 3DS in the West already.

I mean they might. I would be kind of shocked. Old DS ports seem like a very different thing to me.
I think it would take a lot more effort to port the PS version and then touching it up to make it look nice, so the 3DS version is more likely.

Tagg9

Gotta say, I just don't get it. Dragon Quest is really not the type of game that will translate well to mobile.

I don't think the remakes would have sold anywhere near the amount they did on DS had they been on cell phones. Truly an idiotic decision all round.

qko

At a .99 cent price point I'll buy all 8.

If Square-Enix plans to charge more than $2 per game they are smoking some good stuff at their headquarters lately.

Gotta say, I just don't get it. Dragon Quest is really not the type of game that will translate well to mobile.

I don't think the remakes would have sold anywhere near the amount they did on DS had they been on cell phones. Truly an idiotic decision all round.

These games are probably cheap as shit to produce and mobile is huge in Japan. They don't need to sell as much as the DS/3DS versions because they probably won't require as much cost and resources.

watershed

Banned
Well it's pretty obvious now that DQXI will be coming to mobile platforms. I wonder if the 3ds and Vita will see a release as well. I would be pretty bummed if it was exclusive to mobile.

kurahador

These games are probably cheap as shit to produce and mobile is huge in Japan. They don't need to sell as much as the DS/3DS versions because they probably won't require as much cost and resources.

Yeah...I think it's all about the cost to them at this point.

God this new CEO is already worse than Wada.

Tagg9

How is it any cheaper to make for mobile than for 3DS/Vita? We're talking approximately the same level of graphical detail.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

If Square-Enix plans to charge more than $2 per game they are smoking some good stuff at their headquarters lately.

Yeah thats not going to happen. Since generally SQEX apps are some of the most expensive out there.

watershed

Banned
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Don't say that!

It better be PS4. It better be!!!

Sorry to burst your bubble, I assume you're joking anyways. But its clear that while SE is still producing some big budget consoles titles they are looking to make DQ an even more financially successful series by putting it on platforms with massive install bases and low, low development costs. DQ IX was already a huge step in this direction and DQ X was an attempt to lock in consistent profit with the mmo subscription model. DQ XI on mobile a a sure bet at this point. I only hope it will see release on other platforms as well.

mao2

iOS/Android versions of FFIII, FFIV and FFV are $15.99. I would expect DQ to be around that price. They might look pricey but they're all full, console quality games with no IAP crap or ads.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Why can't they come to my Vita? :(

Because your Vita sells like crap. lol

SE is actually being very smart here. I don't dig it because I won't be able to play these, but i respect it because they're playing it smart. I do wish they would make more 3DS games though. =/

I'm beginning to think we're lucky as fuck to even get FF XIV: ARR, FFXV and KH3. At this point, they have no reason to bother.

Top Bottom