• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
for the time the game will come westside, I'll own both N3ds and a PS4.
Maybe it's just the hype of the announcement, but looking at how good both versions looked, I'd be keen to double dip.

Whizkid7

SOLD SO FREAKIN' HARD GIMME GIMME!

Really like what they're doing with the 3DS version, but since I don't think I'll ever get one, I'll be playing it on the PS4. Assuming it makes it over of course. But I'd be really surprised if the PS4 version at least didn't.

Kyoufu

If they can port DQH then I assume they could port the PS4 DQXI to Vita if they wanted.

That doesn't make much sense. Koei's engine is highly scalable and used for all platforms already. Vita isn't supported on UE4, so they'd have to use a different engine and downscale assets. Why bother?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Translation and localization aren't the same thing, unless they just do a digital release or something.

Except localization is the result of translation
Translation is translating from Japanese to English
Localization is fixing the script to make it acceptable for English speaking audiences. Changing jokes, names, adding puns, spicing up the dialogue, removing possibly objectionable material. A direct translation would suck, that's where localization comes into play.

entremet

I knew a 3DS version was coming. You can't totally ignore it in Japan.

DQVIIr seems to be the engine for it, right?

edit: Actually no.

Mikey Jr.

Why announce it for the nx? Se has never done that for dq, have they?

They always go with the most popular console at the time.

Now they are announcing dq games for consoles that don't even exist? Huh?

Skipped around the video, watched the PS4 footage, did I miss battle sequence in PS4 SKU? Only saw it for the 3DS footage. While the PS4 footage looked nice, it would take hardly any time to bootstrap a "walk around a town" environment and character controller on UE4, so it's a little disappointing/troubling to see so little there.

PS4 version seems really early, yet it's no further from release than the 3DS version?

It doesn't look THAT early. No NPCs in the town but thats it. The rest looked pretty damn polished and with likely over a year left of development, and being created on an easy to use engine, I can see it shipping on time.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Why do I get the feeling that, even though the game is coming to PS4 and 3DS, we're still going to have console wars over which version is better and which one will sell more? Yikes.

Either way, both systems will no doubt get a limited edition bundle. Relative to install base, it'll sell a metric shit tonne on both, and Square Enix/Horii will be super happy.

He said there were 5 Dragon Quest games coming to Playstation with another coming but its further down the road. DQH, DQH2, DQB, DQX and DQXI make up those 5 meaning the one that is further down the road is something else entirely. If what he said about the remake is true, then its probably that.

It's all fun and games at the beginning but when the games get released it'll be a bloodbath of tears:p Especially if the 3DS version is not localised. I just hope the platform warriors will buy for their respective platforms when the games are released.

Verendus might not have been referring to DQH1 when he was talking about 5 games. After all that game was already out.

RPGCrazied

Skipped around the video, watched the PS4 footage, did I miss battle sequence in PS4 SKU? Only saw it for the 3DS footage. While the PS4 footage looked nice, it would take hardly any time to bootstrap a "walk around a town" environment and character controller on UE4, so it's a little disappointing/troubling to see so little there.

No battle shown for PS4 version, just the town and field sections. I hope for some sort of trailer soon though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Why announce it for the nx? Se has never done that for dq, have they?

They always go with the most popular console at the time.

Now they are announcing dq games for consoles that don't even exist? Huh?

Actually, they announced the game for Wii U too more than one year before the Wii U release on the market (September 2011 VS December 2012)

Btw, the 3DS IS the most popular console in Japan, so they DID announce the game for the most popular console also this time

The more I think about it, the more I love the dual screen gimmick and am surprised no one ever did that before.

It's like the same game is releasing on hardware from three different eras all at once. That fits nicely with the theme of that subtitle.

BadWolf

It doesn't look THAT early. No NPCs in the town but thats it. The rest looked pretty damn polished and with likely over a year left of development, and being created on an easy to use engine, I can see it shipping on time.

Yeah I don't get the super early remarks, I was prepared to see something like the Red Ash prototype going by the comments but it looked pretty damn good.

Anth0ny

Holy shit what an announcement. Everyone wins. I'll probably pick it up on PS4, 3DS and NX.

still sticking with NX being a console, dropping next year, and being at least as powerful as PS4.

Also, DQX on NX as well? Is this the first game ever released across three Nintendo home consoles? Lol

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The more I think about it, the more I love the dual screen gimmick and am surprised no one ever did that before.

It's like the same game is releasing on hardware from three different eras all at once. That fits nicely with the theme of that subtitle.

that is my feeling too.

That doesn't make much sense. Koei's engine is highly scalable and used for all platforms already. Vita isn't supported on UE4, so they'd have to use a different engine and downscale assets. Why bother?

Especially when people that really care will likely own a PS4 in addition to their Vita, and can play it via the streaming option.

Megatron

I'm really liking this PS4/3DS combination. I really do think it will work quite well.

Do you really believe we will get both versions here? Like with Ni No Kuni, we only got the ps3 version. The only reason we have got dq games recently is because Nintendo published them. Will Nintendo publish the 3ds and/or nx version? Since its on multiple platforms, don't the platform holders actually have less reason to publish this?

If we get the 3ds version and ps4 version, I will buy both day one. Now lets see if that happens.

Timeaisis

Lol what a fantastic first announcement for NX. OK, SE, you've me back. For now.

I wonder if this says anything about the NX third party support. As in, I wonder if SE just wanted to make it to the NX as well or Nintendo stepped in and asked for it.

Square Enix is back and firing in all cylinders.

Fantastic announcement. The Dragon Quest game I've wanted for years (PS4) is finally coming :')

Except localization is the result of translation
Translation is translating from Japanese to English
Localization is fixing the script to make it acceptable for English speaking audiences. Changing jokes, names, adding puns, spicing up the dialogue, removing possibly objectionable material. A direct translation would suck, that's where localization comes into play.
Localization is the entire process, not just translation work. I'm talking about packaging and publishing costs, which is also a part of localization.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
For people who actually played both: were there differences in terms of battle system between the PS3 and the DS versions of Ni No Kuni?

Top Bottom